PDA

View Full Version : January 1994

Dawn Patrol
10-07-2008, 01:37 PM
I don't really remember Jan. 1994 because I would have been pretty young, but I was just looking at the records and averages for January in Warren, VT and 11 out of 31 record lows were in 1994. DAMN that must have been a cold winter...

noski
10-07-2008, 03:16 PM
Some of us remember that well. It was brutal- with many days barely breaking zero. Ugh.

ahm
10-08-2008, 07:11 PM
Jan 1994 featured the bud pro mogul tour at SB. Paul Mitchell was a sponsor and they had an inflatable shampoo bottle that was ~ 25 ft tall. It blew off it's teather and ended up about a mile from the area. Shane McConkey was one of the skiers at that time along with Justin Patenode, Cammeron Boyle, Robert Aldeghry(sp). It was -35 F on both comp days and the course on Stiens was absolute bullet proof. At one point the wind blew so hard that it caused the judges to run for cover. On the Tuesday after the race a Nor"easter hit that dropped about 35 inches of fresh on the bulk of VT. It was a very interesting weekend of skiing and hanging with some close friends. I think the wind chill on HG was - 80 F and I recall Perky (patrol head at the time I think) saying that if anyone wanted to go up there they needed to talk to him first. Thanks for bringing this memory back to me during a very very cold Jan. AHM

MikeTrainor
11-12-2008, 09:24 PM
I was 15 at the time. I remember being in North Conway for one of the school vacations and going to Cranmore because at the time ASC had a "point" system where you would but a certain number of points and each lift ride they would deduct points. It worked out well that week since it was so cold you would only take 1 or 2 runs. That winter to this date are some of the coldest days I have ever skied. The winter after was one of the snowiest I can remember.

Hawk
11-13-2008, 07:38 AM
I remember being at my ski house in Maine with a bunch of my room mates. 5 out of 6 cars didn't start one morning. It was between -20 and -35 in the mornings for more than a week. We could only ski bumps and woods because any cruising would give you frost bite. Brrrrrrrrrr!

Dawn Patrol
11-13-2008, 09:36 AM
I love it! My favorite moments on ski trips while not actually skiing. Absolutely frigid outside, so cold the car barely starts, or you have to push start the car.. Pulling out the driveway, the snow squeals loudly under the tires.. OR having my coffee early in the morning, looking out the window, castlerock is hiding behind the clouds and nonstop stream of giant snowflakes.. Outside it's silent. Good things are waiting..

HowieT2
11-14-2008, 10:24 AM
I'll never forget how cold that week was. I was skiing with my wife at Stowe. Well, at least I was skiing. She was lodge bound. Thank god for the gondola. It was brutal. While I did get the car to start, the speedometer was frozen.