PDA

View Full Version : Winter Tires

Dawn Patrol
09-19-2008, 12:24 PM
Its almost that time... To take the drag radials off the ole' ferrari and get some winters on her for the weekly trek to the mountains. So. Whats everyone recommend? Has anyone experience with Nokian's? I previously had Blizzak LM-25's, which were phenomenal. But you know.. you'll never find something better if you stick to what you've always had.

noski
09-19-2008, 12:29 PM
Blizzack for me. I don't drive far, but I do have a 1000' climb and descent every day from 'upper Fayston'.

gone.skiing
09-22-2008, 07:30 AM
Good chunk of my driving in winter is on cleared highway so I went with Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D. Worked really well last winter, can't really compare to anything else though. tirerack.com has extensive review section.

madhavok
09-22-2008, 07:54 AM
Cleared highway? Guess your not refering to 89 or 91 in Vermont because they don't plow after dark.

castlerock
09-22-2008, 11:20 AM
What kind of vehicle and what kind/amount of driving?

Dawn Patrol
09-29-2008, 07:56 AM

I already said, its a ferrari... :wink:

Its a European AWD sedan. 660 miles round trip to VT. All highway except for the awesomeness of 107->100->West Hill, incidentally, 91 and 89 are much worse than those are in bad weather.

WWF-VT
09-29-2008, 09:51 AM

I already said, its a ferrari... :wink:

Its a European AWD sedan. 660 miles round trip to VT. All highway except for the awesomeness of 107->100->West Hill, incidentally, 91 and 89 are much worse than those are in bad weather.

Another vote for Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D. I have an Audi A6 and make the trip every weekend from Boston area.

skiladi
09-29-2008, 08:42 PM
Its almost that time... To take the drag radials off the ole' ferrari and get some winters on her for the weekly trek to the mountains. So. Whats everyone recommend? Has anyone experience with Nokian's? I previously had Blizzak LM-25's, which were phenomenal. But you know.. you'll never find something better if you stick to what you've always had.

If you can afford a ferrari then you should just get a winter vehicle... :? But if you must drive it get the Nokian. Hakka(short for hakkapeliitta) R for studless and Hakka 5 studded for the most traction.

castlerock
09-29-2008, 10:17 PM
I've always chosen the more snow oriented studless than the performance oriented studless. For instance Michelin X-ice as opposed to the Dunlops. I figure, if I'm getting a snow tire, I don't want a compromise.

Dawn Patrol
09-30-2008, 07:52 AM
I've always chosen the more snow oriented studless than the performance oriented studless. For instance Michelin X-ice as opposed to the Dunlops. I figure, if I'm getting a snow tire, I don't want a compromise.

This is exactly the debate going on for me right now. Do I want better traction going up the hill, or better handling on the highway.

Dawn Patrol
09-30-2008, 07:53 AM

If you can afford a ferrari then you should just get a winter vehicle... :? But if you must drive it get the Nokian. Hakka(short for hakkapeliitta) R for studless and Hakka 5 studded for the most traction.

Check your sarcasm meter skiladi :wink:

Lostone
09-30-2008, 08:38 AM
When you need the smoother ride, but don't have it... small frustrations. :?

When you need the traction going down a steep hill, and don't have it... broken car. :shock:

:wink:

Dawn Patrol
09-30-2008, 08:53 AM
When you need the smoother ride, but don't have it... small frustrations. :?

When you need the traction going down a steep hill, and don't have it... broken car. :shock:

:wink:

Very, very true. My toss up isn't so much a smoother ride vs. traction though. It is purely a safety concern. Traction on that icy downhill, or handling on 95/91 when you're going 80 and a tractor trailer/drunk driver/cellphone talker cuts you off. Those sporty winter tires ie. Blizzak LM-25, Wintersport 3d etc. will out handle a traditional snow. How much, I don't know, since I've never driven a traditional snow. They do however sacrfice deep snow and ice traction for it.. Argh.. decisions...

Lostone
09-30-2008, 09:38 AM
I understand. Can you tell yourself, all the time, that you don't have your summer handling, and slow the @#$% down? :lol: All the time?? That is a decision you have to make. :wink:

As for tires, I used to be in a ski club which was a great house, but on the road from hell, in bad conditions. We had a woman who came up in all weather tires and went off the road a number of times. After towing her back up onto it, a number of times, the local service station owner read her the riot act and told her to get a set of Hakkapeliittas. She did, and I don't think she ever went off, again.

castlerock
09-30-2008, 09:51 AM
Very, very true. My toss up isn't so much a smoother ride vs. traction though. It is purely a safety concern. Traction on that icy downhill, or handling on 95/91 when you're going 80 and a tractor trailer/drunk driver/cellphone talker cuts you off. Those sporty winter tires ie. Blizzak LM-25, Wintersport 3d etc. will out handle a traditional snow. How much, I don't know, since I've never driven a traditional snow. They do however sacrifice deep snow and ice traction for it.. Argh.. decisions...

I think you'll find the differences in the tire types a marginal one in your ability to avoid the above case. If you balance the probabilities, you'll find that the better snow performance more important, and comes into play way more frequently, than marginal response in an emergency situation.

I think the main performance difference you'll find is the adhesion in high-G cornering (the bigger softer blocks might fold), Frankly I don't push a car like that. (the ramifications of a mistake are huge). And I don't have any illusions as to my driving skills compared to people who actually race, so I don't flatter my self to require. The funny thing is even the snow tires on my "European AWD wagon" are 235 45 17s. I needed 17s to fit over the discs, so a low profile tire like a 17 has inherently great cornering.

I also think you'll find the dry performance of the latest studless snows superior to what has been available in the past.

The performance class of snow tire was developed for Europeans who drive on a decidedly different road system than we have, in a much different climate. If I lived in DC or my trips to VT were infrequent and flexible, maybe I'd pick that type.

I was a "hell or high water" driver, so the pure snows did it for me.

Dawn Patrol
09-30-2008, 10:03 AM
I understand. Can you tell yourself, all the time, that you don't have your summer handling, and slow the @#$% down? :lol: All the time?? That is a decision you have to make. :wink:

As for tires, I used to be in a ski club which was a great house, but on the road from hell, in bad conditions. We had a woman who came up in all weather tires and went off the road a number of times. After towing her back up onto it, a number of times, the local service station owner read her the riot act and told her to get a set of Hakkapeliittas. She did, and I don't think she ever went off, again.

Haha.. I know.. But 80 isn't really all that fast for those roads. especially down in CT where you'll often be driving in above freezing temps. What tires do you have? and what kind of driving do you do? Like I said, I'm definitely going for a winter tire. I'm just trying to decide between winter sport or full on snow tires.

On second thought. I'll just leave my toyo t1r's on for the winter..

Dawn Patrol
09-30-2008, 10:04 AM
I appreciate everyone's input btw.

castlerock
09-30-2008, 10:13 AM
Snow tires are like religion.....

Lostone
09-30-2008, 10:15 AM
Me...? I... uh... have all weathers. :lol: And I live on the mountain. :shock:

I have Vera, who is a Subaru with great snowfeet, and of course, when it snows... I walk out the back door, go across the bridge, click into my skis and ski down to the Village chair, unless it is a real powder day. In which case, I have to walk all the way over to Super Bravo, so I'll be there when it starts loading. 8)

It will be interesting to see what happens this year, as I am now doing a morning radio show on Thursdays. My guess is that I'll start making announcements in November, that, should it be a Thursday morning around 8:00, and you hear HAL on the air... you might just want to wander up to the mountain. :wink:

Dawn Patrol
09-30-2008, 12:27 PM
Nice Lostone... Tough commute eh?

skiladi
10-01-2008, 02:03 PM

I am not being sarcastic although I have been known to be. I truly would buy a good winter vehicle and I would still put Nokian tires on it!! ; }

Dawn Patrol
10-01-2008, 03:21 PM

I am not being sarcastic although I have been known to be. I truly would buy a good winter vehicle and I would still put Nokian tires on it!! ; }

lol.. no.. I was being sarcastic. I don't own a ferrari. Which is why you should check the batteries in your sarcasm meter. Got it? :P

BushMogulMaster
10-01-2008, 03:32 PM

lol.. no.. I was being sarcastic. I don't own a ferrari. Which is why you should check the batteries in your sarcasm meter. Got it? :P

:lol: This was too funny.

ski_resort_observer
10-01-2008, 04:00 PM
When I bought my subie it came with those fancy Nokia Hakkwhatever snow tires and they were okay but in two years they wore out. I'm going to break the bank this year and get some Cooper Weathermaster tires as I know it's going to be a big snow year. Oh Yeah!

Losty - you named your car, Vera? Man, we got to get you a girlfriend. :wink: :lol:

Yard Sale
10-01-2008, 04:03 PM
The sarcasm in this thread like a fine french pastry or radial snow tire. It has many layers. I've been driving all manner of vehicle: 4 wheel, front wheel, and even rear wheel a long time ago on all seasons every season for a lot of seasons through just about all manner of weather. While I certainly concede that dedicated snowys are superior what is more important is the very strong correlation between speed reduction and incident free driving when it gets slick. Yes, I'm usually anxious to get there and usually tired as well. But the lifts won't spin 'til 8 the the next day whether I get in at 10 pm or 12 am. It's not genius, I know. It's just patience.

Now, call me foolhardy if you must. I don't mind if you do. But at present we drive an allwheel drive minivan with whatever stock allseasons are on it right up and over Roxbury Gap. Occaisionally if I haven't had enough scotch during the drive from Mass and/or it is particularly stormy, I'll divert over Bethel mountain instead. So far knock knock on wood no troubles.

For the record: I was only kidding about the scotch, but we really do own a minivan. . . . Suddenly, I feel naked. . . . where's the scotch?

Lostone
10-01-2008, 04:17 PM
Suddenly, I feel naked. . . . where's the scotch?

You.... You're going to dress in scotch??? :shock:

Losty - you named your car, Vera?

I name all my cars. Some are male; some female. :wink:

Vera's name was given to me by the daughter of the woman who used to live upstairs from me. I had mentioned that it was odd to own a red car, as my last one was gray, and the one before was beige. She then said this one was vera red, and... the rest is history... or present... depending. 8)

Does your car have a name? Does it have a personality? Do you? :lol:

Yard Sale
10-01-2008, 04:37 PM
Flesh Colored 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S "The Flesh Mobile"

White 1973 rusted out Toyota Corolla: "Chick Magnet"

Black 1987 Ford F250 "Max"

Black 1991 Saab 900 "Excalibur"

Gold 1997 Honda Accord "Anonymous"

Black 2000 Volvo Station Wagon "Man Wagon" 100% man hauler

White 2005 Toyota Sienna Minivan "Snowflake"

Grey 2007 Volvo XC90 SUV/Wagon "New and Improved Man Wagon with 15% more man hauling capacity"

ski_resort_observer
10-01-2008, 05:02 PM

My first car was a 1967 Cutless, a real plain model I bought in 1970.

Yard Sale
10-01-2008, 06:12 PM

the '68 Cutlass was my 2nd car and I bought it off a little old lady in 1984.

Some context on the "Man Wagons": I am the proverbial rooster in the hen house living with one wife and four daughters. The Man Wagon moniker is hollow attempt to man up the soccer mom like vehicles I now drive, not because I'm hauling a lot men around. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

Plowboy
10-01-2008, 08:07 PM

:lol: My first car was a 1967 Cutless 442, a sleeper with 350hp and four on the floor I bought in 1972 for $350.

Oh yea, I use Cooper Discoverer M+S studded tires on all my vehicles.

noski
10-02-2008, 07:35 AM
My first car was a 1976 AMC Gremlin. Even with snowtires, sometimes someone had to ride in the hatch to weight it down. Firecracker red, three on the floor :roll:

smootharc
10-02-2008, 08:03 AM
....was a 1972, fully loaded Buick 225 Electra. She had put all of about 3000 miles on it by the time I got it in 1982. Leather, power everything, that huge, legendary engine....and what had to be about 1.5 miles to the gallon. Trunk could hold 3 kegs EASILY. Back seat had to be nearly the size of a twin bed. Curb weight....what......2 tons ??? The melt value of the steel alone must have been thousands.

To state that it was a legendary collegiate love/party boat would be.....I'm afraid....an understatement. Hence my cellar dwelling GPA. But I was a merry prankster....and very popular (never to be equalled in later life !).

Come to think of it....that car's the entire reason for my misspent, wayward youth....and my current life's woeful mediocrity ! :lol:

Lostone
10-02-2008, 12:36 PM
Dawn Patrol, I'm assuming the Winter tires portion of this is finished, but if not, I would be happy to split it and break out the first car portion.

It seems to have taken over, as a natural topic drift, but let me know if you want your thread back. :lol:

Lostone
10-02-2008, 12:42 PM
My first car was a '69 Torino fastback. She was the Bluebird. She could, and did, get stuck going downhill. But she was an automatic, and I could get out, push her to get her going, then jump in and drive away. Also, I was in the air force, and there was never a problem getting 3 guys to go where ever you wanted to go, so there were always available pushers. :lol:

I had her in Limestone Maine, so there was hardly ever any winter. It never started before September, and was almost always done by the first week in June. :roll:

Dawn Patrol
10-02-2008, 01:26 PM
Dawn Patrol, I'm assuming the Winter tires portion of this is finished, but if not, I would be happy to split it and break out the first car portion.

It seems to have taken over, as a natural topic drift, but let me know if you want your thread back. :lol:

Haha.. No thats alright, this might be my favorite thread ever. 8)

Dawn Patrol
10-02-2008, 01:34 PM

the '68 Cutlass was my 2nd car and I bought it off a little old lady in 1984.

Some context on the "Man Wagons": I am the proverbial rooster in the hen house living with one wife and four daughters. The Man Wagon moniker is hollow attempt to man up the soccer mom like vehicles I now drive, not because I'm hauling a lot men around. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

No extra 'man up' needed on this 340 hp bad boy:

http://www.autospectator.com/cars/files/images/2009-Audi-A4-Avant-1.jpg

chuck
10-02-2008, 03:48 PM
62 VW beetle stick, with studded snows on the rear, and regular winters on the front, with rusted out heater boxes. That car went over the Bethel/Rochester Mt road for almost 10 years, (1980-1990) never got stuck. She wasn't fast, or pretty, but she started every time and was a miser on fuel.

ski_resort_observer
10-02-2008, 04:13 PM
Unlike most I keep cars for a long time....my fav which I bought new for $5600 was a 1977 Toyota Landcruiser FJ40. I sold it in 1995 for $3000. Pretty good value if I do say so myself. Awesome vehicle for northwest Wyoming. I still miss that vehicle when I see one on the road. BTW, I don't name them... :lol:

skiladi
10-02-2008, 04:25 PM

lol.. no.. I was being sarcastic. I don't own a ferrari. Which is why you should check the batteries in your sarcasm meter. Got it? :P In that case , forget my previous advice for European finery and go with these beauties. :P

http://www.retread.org/webart/logo_side.gif

castlerock
10-02-2008, 06:34 PM

I'm just being picky, but that is the new A4, and the A version doesn't have 340 horsepower. I think it will be 200 or so in the 2.0T and roughly 280 in the 3.2 FSI. The previous S4 on the other hand did with the 4.2 L V8. The S4 that will be in that "new" body style, won't have that much but it will have a supercharged V6 and get much better mileage.

The fact that I know this and actually write this shows that I have envy issues, I admit.

Dawn Patrol
10-03-2008, 08:55 AM

I'm just being picky, but that is the new A4, and the A version doesn't have 340 horsepower. I think it will be 200 or so in the 2.0T and roughly 280 in the 3.2 FSI. The previous S4 on the other hand did with the 4.2 L V8. The S4 that will be in that "new" body style, won't have that much but it will have a supercharged V6 and get much better mileage.

The fact that I know this and actually write this shows that I have envy issues, I admit.

hmm.. AFAIK the new s4 will get the supercharged V6 putting out around 350hp

"According to Auto Motor und Sport, the new engine will be fitted with a blower and putting out around 350 hp when fitted to the next generation S4. The supercharged six is expected to return better fuel mileage than its V8 counterpart and will also be fitted to the refreshed A6, due out towards the end of this year, although output will be reduced to 290 hp and 310 lb.-ft. of torque."

In anycase, beautiful car.

castlerock
10-03-2008, 10:21 AM
Absolutely gorgeous really.

Now what I really want is a 1.8 L Deisel hybrid combo in that car

And 4 hakkas

Dawn Patrol
12-17-2008, 09:17 AM
Just saw this resurface, thought I'd add, I got the Dunlop Wintersport 3D. They ROCK. I had absoultely ZERO trouble driving through the heart of thursday's storm!