PDA

View Full Version : Sugarbush Pre-Season Hike for Turns Policy

Tin Woodsman
09-05-2008, 10:01 AM
There is currently (or was until the topic devolved into political garbage) a spirited discussion going on over at SKIVT-L with respect to Sugarbush's policy on hiking for turns when the lifts are closed, be it pre-season or when lifts are on wind-hold. Apparently, the policy is that such activities are either forbidden or require some sort of poorly publicized $15 payment. This policy, if true, is both curious and disappointing. First, most of Sugarbush's neighbors in northern VT either explicitly or implicitly condone such turn earning, so SB stands out with its tightfisted approach on this issue. I'm sure people will point out there there is machinery moving around the mountain and that creates a liability issue, but there are plenty of hills whose owners are familiar with liability and insurance risks who don't adopt this approach. More importantly, the type of individuals who would tend to be impacted by this are the very locals who are the core of any mountain. Why alientate the very people who are likely to be the best supporters and evangelists for the hill? To me, this really stands in stark contrast to the welcoming attitude that Win and SV have been cultivating since they bought the mountain from ASC.

So, two questions for Win if he chooses to respond.

1) What is the policy on hiking for turns while the lifts aren't operating?

2) If what I've described above is true, why is it in place?

What does everyone else think?

HowieT2
09-05-2008, 02:23 PM
There is currently (or was until the topic devolved into political garbage) a spirited discussion going on over at SKIVT-L with respect to Sugarbush's policy on hiking for turns when the lifts are closed, be it pre-season or when lifts are on wind-hold. Apparently, the policy is that such activities are either forbidden or require some sort of poorly publicized $15 payment. This policy, if true, is both curious and disappointing. First, most of Sugarbush's neighbors in northern VT either explicitly or implicitly condone such turn earning, so SB stands out with its tightfisted approach on this issue. I'm sure people will point out there there is machinery moving around the mountain and that creates a liability issue, but there are plenty of hills whose owners are familiar with liability and insurance risks who don't adopt this approach. More importantly, the type of individuals who would tend to be impacted by this are the very locals who are the core of any mountain. Why alientate the very people who are likely to be the best supporters and evangelists for the hill? To me, this really stands in stark contrast to the welcoming attitude that Win and SV have been cultivating since they bought the mountain from ASC.

So, two questions for Win if he chooses to respond.

1) What is the policy on hiking for turns while the lifts aren't operating?

2) If what I've described above is true, why is it in place?

What does everyone else think?

I think I'd much rather take a ride in that sweet new PB than hike up.

Seriously, never heard of a fee for hiking and if there is one, can't imagine anyone paying it.

skiladi
09-05-2008, 08:56 PM
http://forums.skimrv.com/albums/album47/HPIM0430.highlight.jpg
Discretion is the better part of valor. ; }

castlerock
09-06-2008, 08:17 AM
I don't want to hear from Win on this one. Let's not put him in a corner, and make him put a stick in the sand (enough cliches for you?). If the conditions are right, those who can will, and (one would hope) the proverbial blind eye will be turned.

Skiladi is right.

othripper
09-06-2008, 09:23 AM
Well, I for one would like to hear from Win on this one. I think some clarity is needed, as well as what we can expect, particularly in the slide brook, or at north, both before and after the it opens and closed for the season.

Mike

castlerock
09-06-2008, 09:35 AM
You won't like what you hear. Seriously, if he has to comment, he'll have to say no.

HowieT2
09-06-2008, 12:43 PM
wasn't there a discussion about this last season?

Go Figure
09-07-2008, 07:45 AM
Win, Step up, whats the word on hiking. A:hike away
B:we are saving the snow for paying "cat skiers"

Hawk
09-07-2008, 08:15 AM
:? :? :? Why is it that people have to have rules and policies for everything.......Why can't you just go with the flow.

If you force them to give you an answer, then they will give you an anwser that protects them. People use your common sense. Those of us that do hike know the rules.

I bet the people that are asking the questions are the same ones that parade right past the base lodge with skis/board on back waving to everybody........geese :wink:

mikec13
09-07-2008, 11:47 AM
"either explicitly or implicitly"

im·plic·it /?m'pl?s?t/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[im-plis-it] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective 1. implied, rather than expressly stated

I think you may have answered your own question...the policy is implicit