PDA

View Full Version : 2008-2009 Upgrades

summitchallenger
08-27-2008, 06:21 PM
So just got this Email from Win:

This fall, we are expanding the Castlerock Pub to double its indoor seating and to add a new, second–floor deck. (This will be prime seating for sun-filled après–ski activity.) We are also adding more boot and bag storage space on the second floor. We are also going to offer an evening dinner package at Allyn's Lodge on certain weekend and holiday evenings (great for birthday and anniversary celebrations) serviced by our newly–acquired 12–person snow cat (there will also be hiking and skiing options). The cat will also be available on certain days for first tracks into Slide Brook and afternoon and evening adventure tours (kids love snow cat rides!).

The Valley House chair grips have been replaced, so the chair will run on Saturdays and holidays again this year, and will be available as a back-up to the Super Bravo lift. We have also purchased two new groomers and done a significant amount of summer maintenance to ensure that all of our lifts and equipment are ready for the start of the season. The Valley House cafeteria and Wunderbar will also be open on Saturdays and holidays. On select evenings in Timbers, we will be providing musical and theatrical entertainment to complement Gerry Nooney's culinary artistry.

Thumbs up all around, but especially to:

* Expanding Castlerock and storage space.
* Allyn's Lodge and the new Snowcat for Slidebrook access. Very nice.
* Two new groomers (regular groomers and which mountain?)

Glad that the lifts and other equipment are ready to go. Any snowmaking improvements?

win
08-27-2008, 07:40 PM
Basic snowmaking maintenance over the summer. We replaced a portion of the pipe on the access road which had been experiencing some breaks the past couple of years. Valve and pump repairs, etc. Overall our system at both mountains should be ready to start firing up as close to November 1st as Mother Nature allows! There is a lot of water in the river, too!

summitchallenger
08-27-2008, 07:56 PM
I like the improvement in the amount of water available for snowmaking......

mattlucas
08-27-2008, 10:57 PM
yay for the valley house!

also, i hope as close to 11/1 as possible means tomorrow. I'm ready to ski!

CapeSkiGuy
08-28-2008, 08:37 AM
Great idea with the 12-person snowcat. If this means dining at Allyn's, who is doing the cooking? This reminds me of the dining options out west, on the mountain at night. I'll have to make a reservation for a full-moon night!

Yard Sale
08-28-2008, 12:45 PM
All good news! Nothing like Xmas in August. The Allyn's dinner option is a nice touch ala Beano's or Zach's cabins at Beaver Creek. (Although probably not as not as elaborate as those two places.) I've been to both of those places and dinner at altitude is a great adventure. They also have open sleds pulled behind a regular cat. They even tow you under snow guns for the full effect.

random_ski_guy
08-30-2008, 11:47 PM
Win, how many years do you typically get out of a snow cat?

BushMogulMaster
08-31-2008, 12:54 PM
Win, how many years do you typically get out of a snow cat?

I'm not Win (duh), but I can answer your question: it depends.

Preventative maintenance is a huge factor, as is how the operators run the machines. A well maintained and properly treated/operated machine could run well over 10,000 hours. A machine that is neglected and treated harshly by operators my not make it much past 6,000 hours.

I would argue that a Kassbohrer machine will last longer, simply based on proven performance. Not to mention the fact that they come standard with a Benz engine. They just work. Prinoth machines are sketchy, IMHO. The snowcat division has changed hands too many times. They're all about bells and whistles, but they seem to spend a lot of time in the shop.

Win, correct me if I'm wrong, I believe we're still operating one or two '02 machines at Sugarbush. They still run fine, and are probably getting up there in hours. Sure, they need more attention than the new machines, but they work fine for normal slope grooming operations.

summitchallenger
08-31-2008, 02:26 PM
And these new cats are Piston Bullies? One for each mountain area? Are they standard or winch cats?

random_ski_guy
09-01-2008, 08:48 AM
thanks BMM,

how many hours do these machines tend to run in a season?

and what's your armchair opinion on bombardier? not that i am buying one, but why not ask anyway... :)

BushMogulMaster
09-01-2008, 11:14 AM
thanks BMM,

how many hours do these machines tend to run in a season?

and what's your armchair opinion on bombardier? not that i am buying one, but why not ask anyway... :)

Hours are dependent on use. An every-night slope groomer might see anywhere from 800 to 1500 hours per season at a large resort.

I don't have an armchair opinion on Bombi, but I can give you an operator's opinion :wink:

Their machines were generally solid when they were still building cats. I spent a little time in a 90's BR 400, and found it to be a formidable machine. But Bombardier hasn't built cats since they sold the snowcat division to Camoplast in 2004. Camoplast owned the division for a short time, and then sold it to Prinoth, who is now owned by Leitner. Too much changing of hands in my opinion, and I have not had many good personal experiences with Prinoth machines. When they work, they work. They're powerful, full of cool features, etc. But they spend more time in the shop than anything else. Small stupid stuff, oversights at the factory. Underrated hydraulic components, etc.

But that's just one person's opinion. I have some other friends in the industry who swear by them. I just don't think you can beat Pisten Bully for reliability and overall functionality.

HowieT2
09-01-2008, 08:54 PM
Really excited to see the new, new gatehouse including the CR pub. Should be a vast improvement.
Not mentioned was the new paint job on the valley house (matching the lifts). Is the plan to use it the same as last season?
Given the upgrades undertaken is it fair to assume that a new GS lodge/VH lift is going to happen later rather than sooner? Given the current general economic situation, that would appear to be a wise choice. While I'd love to see a new GS, I'd rather see the mountain well maintained than burdened with too much debt. I would think there are other operators in the industry who may be in for a rough patch.

win
09-02-2008, 08:57 AM
If one is not precise with the English language it is easy to mislead and confuse. So I have a Mea Culpa. When I said "new" groomers, I was thinking as I wrote "newly owned" to Sugarbush. We actually purchased a PB Edge that we had been leasing, and we purchased a used PB 200 that will carry the twelve seat cabin cat that I mentioned in the prior post. Last year we took delivery of two brand new machines, so we are pleased with the quality of the fleet going into the winter. Sorry for any confusion.

Sail or Ski
09-02-2008, 10:18 PM
How about a sneak peek before the season gets underway. Lots of people coming up Columbus weekend. Can they be parked near the Gatehouse or somewhere safe, away from the construction for people to oooh and aaah over?

BushMogulMaster
09-02-2008, 11:57 PM
How about a sneak peek before the season gets underway. Lots of people coming up Columbus weekend. Can they be parked near the Gatehouse or somewhere safe, away from the construction for people to oooh and aaah over?

Sneak peak of the 200 in its former home:

http://www.mogulskiing.net/images/uploaded/pb200.jpg

You'll just have to wait to see it up close and personal. I took a nice jaunt in it last year. A testament to Pisten Bully's fine work. Now the blade wing controls not being on the joystick... that's another conversation entirely! :)

win
09-04-2008, 12:49 PM
Possibly Sail or Ski. You will also see the CR pub under construction. We began that on Tuesday! You might even see a yak or two!

ski_it
09-05-2008, 08:51 AM
from firsttracksonline.com: Vermont Ski and Snowboard Resorts Roll Out Improvements for 2008-09 (http://www.firsttracksonline.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=4848)

A half million-dollar expansion to Sugarbush’s two-year old Gate House lodge means more room for all. At the lodge's Castlerock Pub, pub-goers can toast a 1,200 square-foot addition that will include a slopeside deck complete with a BBQ and fire pit. Sugarbush will also be building an addition onto the top floor of the Gate House lodge for more food court seating and conference space. Construction will begin in September and the additions are expected to be open by Christmas week.

Can't wait to see how this will turn out!

Atira Group, responsible for building Cordillera in Edwards, Colo. near Beaver Creek and the Club at Crested Butte will deliver Sugarbush its new base area village. Groundbreaking for Phase Two of the Lincoln Peak Village is slated to begin in the spring of 2009.

will we hear more about this at the Community Weekend presentation?

Exciting stuff!

HowieT2
09-05-2008, 09:24 AM
from firsttracksonline.com: Vermont Ski and Snowboard Resorts Roll Out Improvements for 2008-09 (http://www.firsttracksonline.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=4848)

A half million-dollar expansion to Sugarbush’s two-year old Gate House lodge means more room for all. At the lodge's Castlerock Pub, pub-goers can toast a 1,200 square-foot addition that will include a slopeside deck complete with a BBQ and fire pit. Sugarbush will also be building an addition onto the top floor of the Gate House lodge for more food court seating and conference space. Construction will begin in September and the additions are expected to be open by Christmas week.

Atira Group, responsible for building Cordillera in Edwards, Colo. near Beaver Creek and the Club at Crested Butte will deliver Sugarbush its new base area village. Groundbreaking for Phase Two of the Lincoln Peak Village is slated to begin in the spring of 2009.

Exciting stuff!

But you neglected to include this tidbit

Traditionally, the resort closes its Mt. Ellen first in late March. When that happens, Sugarbush's highest peak will become the domain of the 12-passenger cat.

Wow! cat trip up mt ellen and the whole mountain for 12 lucky souls. How is this going to work and where do we sign up.

Win-why are you holding out on us with this exciting news?

Tin Woodsman
09-05-2008, 09:27 AM

Exciting stuff!

Traditionally, the resort closes its Mt. Ellen first in late March. When that happens, Sugarbush's highest peak will become the domain of the 12-passenger cat.

Wow! cat trip up mt ellen and the whole mountain for 12 lucky souls. How is this going to work and where do we sign up.

More importantly, note the bolded text. Many payers have been answered! Where is this fire pit supposed to be located?

ski_it
09-05-2008, 10:21 AM

I figured that topic was worthy of a separate thread which I had posted here: http://forums.skimrv.com/viewtopic.php?t=1562

TimKeogh
09-10-2008, 07:23 PM
Be even BETTER here!

Hawk
09-11-2008, 06:20 AM

This has been out there for a few weeks Howie. I have heard people say that it won't be cheap. Kind of like a charter cat. You will be paying for the cat, guide, and patrol. It does sound interesting. I don't think it will be like a powder safari thou. We usually don't have to many powder days after the closing of Mt. Ellen.

HowieT2
09-11-2008, 06:28 AM

This has been out there for a few weeks Howie. I have heard people say that it won't be cheap. Kind of like a charter cat. You will be paying for the cat, guide, and patrol. It does sound interesting. I don't think it will be like a powder safari thou. We usually don't have to many powder days after the closing of Mt. Ellen.

I had visions of Easter Sunday '07 dancing in my head.

boze
09-11-2008, 05:32 PM
If they run the cat on wind hold days, such as many like last year that included some rather significant snowstorm dumpage, then a # of those trips would be powder cat trips...even the snowcat at Alta only runs 12-15x per season (but there, it's often due to avi danger)

i for one would readily pony up the $ for that

win
09-15-2008, 10:21 PM
Come to Community Day and hear more!

summitchallenger
09-16-2008, 01:28 PM
Community Day is set for when?

Lostone
09-16-2008, 03:21 PM
10/11 It is the Saturday of Columbus Day weekend.

win
09-25-2008, 09:07 PM
Update since the last communication. Getting a new PB groomer and putting the 12 person cab on our existing 300! Bush Mogulmaster, you can elaborate before I let everyone know the details on Community Day. (come and meet Rumble, too!)

Thank you to all who purchased Season Passes. We had really strong results!

BushMogulMaster
09-25-2008, 09:40 PM
Update since the last communication. Getting a new PB groomer and putting the 12 person cab on our existing 300! Bush Mogulmaster, you can elaborate before I let everyone know the details on Community Day. (come and meet Rumble, too!)

Thank you to all who purchased Season Passes. We had really strong results!

Excellent. The 12 passenger cab is in fantastic shape, and is going to prove and excellent addition at Sugarbush. It came from a snowcat skiing operation in Colorado, and was treated quite well (I know the folks who run the operation -- they took good care of it). The thing may as well be brand new, especially after the new paint job!

Picture for stoke:

http://www.mogulskiing.net/images/sugarbuscab.jpg

Imagine that, with a new paint job, mounted on one of these:

http://www.pistenbullyusa.com/300_images/300_feathered.jpg

That, folks, is the treat that we will have the opportunity to experience this season. Excited yet??? You should be!

Come on up for Community Day for more info.

Hawk
09-26-2008, 08:12 AM
That, folks, is the treat that we will have the opportunity to experience this season. Excited yet??? You should be!

Well if it's $15 a run like Lightning Ridge at Powder Mountian I would be pretty psyched. I get the feeling the price is going to be ahhh.......well......pricey. Don't get me wrong. I would love to get a ride but there is a point that earning your turns becomes the more sensible option. After all I am not a trustafarian like some around here. :wink:

smootharc
09-26-2008, 11:27 AM
...am I confused ??? :lol:

BushMogulMaster
09-26-2008, 02:25 PM

Yes. You are. :wink:

I wouldn't have tipped them off about the machine if it was just going to be used for the pilots :wink:

Lostone
09-26-2008, 03:03 PM
I know nothing about the machine, but would like to second the "Yes, you are." thought. :lol:

09-27-2008, 06:11 PM

Smooth, here is a mug full of lucid explanation, brimming with mystery...please drink......it isn't kool aid.

That's the machine,
that takes the people,
where the Pilots have ALREADY BEEN!!!

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumb_36/1136303459ziHBdL.jpg

Hawk
09-29-2008, 06:42 AM
LOL!!!! :lol: You kill me 007......but I have you number this year.......they don't call me hawk for nothing. :wink: