PDA

View Full Version : Sugarbush Resort to Host Downhill Mountain Bike Championship

08-05-2008, 01:31 PM
http://news.alpinezone.com/32935/

Hawk
08-06-2008, 07:49 AM
I have watched this event at other mountains. Those guys fly. :shock: It will be fun to watch.
I looked at the course map on the SB site. It will be fast up top but the place to watch will be the Eden section where the guys with the best technical skill will win the race.

BTW - the map they used to show the course is taken from an interesting base map. It shows the VH lift as the "Valley House Super Quad". If must be from the ASC days.

HowieT2
08-06-2008, 09:17 AM
I have watched this event at other mountains. Those guys fly. :shock: It will be fun to watch.
I looked at the course map on the SB site. It will be fast up top but the place to watch will be the Eden section where the guys with the best technical skill will win the race.

BTW - the map they used to show the course is taken from an interesting base map. It shows the VH lift as the "Valley House Super Quad". If must be from the ASC days.

Nice catch. Don't know about the map being from ASC. The structure at the bottom looks a lot like Claybrook/Timbers. Note that the Valley House is not on the map and just south of the base area is designated as "Future Real Estate". Hmmmm

Yard Sale
08-06-2008, 10:27 AM
Also note the hashed revegitation area on Lower Organ Grinder. As this is it's present state, it would seem that this map is older though modified to show improved base facilities and new valley House lift.

I thought that when the time to replace the Valley House came it was going to be another fixed grip tripple though extended to lower by Bravo. Also i have always wodered why Organ grider was not a straight shot. Why was that area left to fill in?

Lostone
08-06-2008, 12:23 PM
Also i have always wodered why Organ grider was not a straight shot

1) Because Straight Shot is over at North? :lol:

B) Where Organgrinder goes to the skier's left, I've been told they were trying to keep sensitive vegetation protected. That is what I've heard referred to as the Germ Shoot.

That is one of the places on the map that are marked Revegetate. Another is Reverse Traverse. Hope their not thinking of closing that off. Mostly unused, but really handy when Bravo is on wind hold. 8)

Tin Woodsman
08-06-2008, 03:12 PM
Can someone post that map here? I can't access it from work.

ski_resort_observer
08-06-2008, 04:16 PM
Can someone post that map here? I can't access it from work.

Tin...hopefully your heading home by now but here it is. The rock section in the middle of Eden should be a challenge. If I was going to watch that's where I would set up my lawn chair. :D

http://forums.skimrv.com/albums/album33/MTB_map.jpg

Strat
08-06-2008, 05:56 PM
That is a cool map. I want to see more! 8)

Lot of cool things of note, for example, the Power Line cut up to Castlerock being called "Harold's Way"...

Tin Woodsman
08-06-2008, 06:00 PM

B) Where Organgrinder goes to the skier's left, I've been told they were trying to keep sensitive vegetation protected. That is what I've heard referred to as the Germ Shoot.
I'm no botanist, but I've never noticed any special vegetation when I've been down in there. Not that I've been down in there, of course.

That is one of the places on the map that are marked Revegetate. Another is Reverse Traverse. Hope their not thinking of closing that off. Mostly unused, but really handy when Bravo is on wind hold. 8)
Aah, but note that they didn't plan to eliminate Reverse Traverse as much as they planned to fix it by re=grading and actually running it downhill - a novel concept. As long as you can access HG Traverse, and you still could with the depicted alignment, then it would be a win/win.

Note also that they planned to revegetate the higher of the two intersections between Jester and Birdland, which if implemented, would pretty much cancel out what I wrote above.

Lots of things to look at on this map. And I agree with Yard Sale that it was likely an older map that someone has photoshopped to update with Clay Brook. Anyone notice...

1) The real estate lift coming up from somewhere close to the entrance to Snow Creek and ending just above where Lower Snowball becomes Racers Edge?

2) The proposed (and presumably now dead forever) trail where Lew's Line is? Would have made for a good releif valve for Deathspout, but I'm pretty happy with the status quo.

3) The alternative way down to the base of Bravo adjacent to Lower OG? Where it was supposed to intersect at the OG zig zag looks like it would have been quite the shit show. Would destroy some pretty good low angle woods too.

4) The powerline at C-Rock has a name

4) A new connector from the bottom of Sleeper over to Gondolier - I'd like to see this one done, actually.

ski_resort_observer
08-06-2008, 06:05 PM

I'm no botanist, but I've never noticed any special vegetation when I've been down in there. Not that I've been down in there, of course.

Aah, but note that they didn't plan to eliminate Reverse Traverse as much as they planned to fix it by re=grading and actually running it downhill - a novel concept. As long as you can access HG Traverse, and you still could with the depicted alignment, then it would be a win/win.

Note also that they planned to revegetate the higher of the two intersections between Jester and Birdland, which if implemented, would pretty much cancel out what I wrote above.

Lots of things to look at on this map. And I agree with Yard Sale that it was likely an older map that someone has photoshopped to update with Clay Brook. Anyone notice...

1) The real estate lift coming up from somewhere close to the entrance to Snow Creek and ending just above where Lower Snowball becomes Racers Edge?

2) The proposed (and presumably now dead forever) trail where Lew's Line is? Would have made for a good releif valve for Deathspout, but I'm pretty happy with the status quo.

3) The alternative way down to the base of Bravo adjacent to Lower OG? Where it was supposed to intersect at the OG zig zag looks like it would have been quite the shit show. Would destroy some pretty good low angle woods too.

4) The powerline at C-Rock has a name

4) A new connector from the bottom of Sleeper over to Gondolier - I'd like to see this one done, actually.

Your welcome :roll:

Tin Woodsman
08-06-2008, 06:16 PM
Well, it's not really MY welcome, but thank you anyway.

This was a great diversion during a very boring conference call. :wink:

Sail or Ski
08-06-2008, 07:04 PM
Is there a Mt Ellen map? Any new trails considered there?

BushMogulMaster
08-06-2008, 08:59 PM

Not that you're going to see posted here. Not sure why that map was used for this application. Doesn't seem remotely appropriate to me.

bill-now
08-07-2008, 06:49 AM
So when is groundbreaking on the Valley House Express Super Duper Quad? I hate those pesky 30 second lift lines on the current VH chair!

Hawk
08-07-2008, 08:16 AM

Nice catch. Don't know about the map being from ASC. The structure at the bottom looks a lot like Claybrook/Timbers. Note that the Valley House is not on the map and just south of the base area is designated as "Future Real Estate". Hmmmm

The reason why I thought it was an old ASC base map is all the proposed new trails that are shown. As we all know, Les had a plan to do major modifications to the mountain. This was met with much resistance from the State and Locals. SV seems to be much more conservative in it's approach to change. I think this comes from the experiences they have watched from the old regiem and the work they have done to present. I have never heard of any plan to cut all these new trails.

I think that they took an old map, droped on the course and a few current features and called it good. :wink:

Hawk
08-07-2008, 08:21 AM

Not that you're going to see posted here. Not sure why that map was used for this application. Doesn't seem remotely appropriate to me.

Now, Now BMM. It was only meant to show the Downhill race couse for next weekend. I am sure they just wanted to post something that was easy to make with what they had.

BushMogulMaster
08-07-2008, 08:02 PM

Now, Now BMM. It was only meant to show the Downhill race couse for next weekend. I am sure they just wanted to post something that was easy to make with what they had.

Not to sound presumptuous, but I think that a map of current infrastructure would be better suited to this application. Whether the map is old or not isn't the issue. But there I go thinking logically again :wink:

HowieT2
08-08-2008, 10:30 AM

Not to sound presumptuous, but I think that a map of current infrastructure would be better suited to this application. Whether the map is old or not isn't the issue. But there I go thinking logically again :wink:

Whatever. just nice to see some action on this board. When is it going to snow already?

Tin Woodsman
08-08-2008, 01:02 PM
But how does this map not properly represent current infrastructure as it relates to the race? Current base facilities are all there. The only thing which this map represents as existing, but which does not currently exist, is the VH Express Quad.