PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Observations/Questions

Yard Sale
07-14-2008, 10:37 AM
Went up this past weekend with the fam and some friends for the first time since last days of skiing. It's been too long. We took a couple of nice little hikes, hit the zipline, farmer's market (Had a kick @$$ dinner all provisioned from the farmer's market) and Lareau's Swimming hole.

Anyway here are my Observations/Questions:

1. Hot Damn, it's beautiful there. The evening summer air actually kisses your skin like a million butterflies.

2. The swing set and little sandbox outside of Gate House. Nice touch. Not a money maker, but a simple thing that really
adds to the experience for anyone with little kids and IMO enhances Sugarbush's rep as THE family destination. Nice
work Mountain ops/ Win. Thanks.

3. I noticed a lot of dead standing and downed birch trees, and I was wondering if there was some type of birch specific
blight happening.

4. Lareaus swimming Hole: Did that gravel bar grow exponentially since last summer? I remember jumping off the high
part of that rock into water that is now knee deep. Unless I'm losing it, and I may be (see observation#1), I think last
year the same spot was 12-15 feet deep.

5. I thought Gatehouse was going to have some modifications/improvements this summer, but i didn't notice any signs of
work being done. Is that still on?

6. I heard Claybrook hit 80% ownership. This is good news i trust. Hopefully this moves us a little closer in the direction
of that new Guest Services Lodge. . . . . and maybe an outdoor fire pit.

If anyone has .02 to share on these topics, any and all are apprecited. I hope everyone is enjoying their summer.

Sincerely,

YS

Sugarbusher

noski
07-14-2008, 12:37 PM
Went up this past weekend with the fam and some friends for the first time since last days of skiing. It's been too long. We took a couple of nice little hikes, hit the zipline, farmer's market (Had a kick @$$ dinner all provisioned from the farmer's market) and Lareau's Swimming hole.

4. Lareaus swimming Hole: Did that gravel bar grow exponentially since last summer? I remember jumping off the high
part of that rock into water that is now knee deep. Unless I'm losing it, and I may be (see observation#1), I think last

I noticed as I rode along Rt 100 and 100b the water is low. Winooski River is low also. However, it rained over an inch late yesterday, so that will help. That doesn't explain the gravel bar fully, but I can tell you water is low.

win
07-14-2008, 12:46 PM
Gate House construction will begin just after Labor Day to be ready for Christmas week!

noski
07-24-2008, 01:36 PM

I noticed as I rode along Rt 100 and 100b the water is low. Winooski River is low also. However, it rained over an inch late yesterday, so that will help. That doesn't explain the gravel bar fully, but I can tell you water is low.

Ok, well, since we are in a flood warning, I can confidently say with the 2 inches on Sunday and the 4+" yesterday/today the river is a little <cough> high.

win
07-25-2008, 06:22 PM
Beautiful day today! Sun and breeze is drying things out, so it should be a nice weekend. Perhaps a few afternoon Thunder Showers somewhere, but that is the norm for this time of year. I would bet on a good two days and get out on the mountain for some fun! It will be a fabulous sunset tonight!

Lostone
07-26-2008, 08:26 AM
Yeah, lots of people out on both disc golf courses. Lots of people on bikes. Great day to be out on the mountain. And today is beginning just as nice.

Like to stay inside and write about how nice it is, but I think I hear the farmers' market calling me. Then back up for some more disc golf, and maybe a little (off the mountain :wink: ) biking. 8)

shadyjay
07-28-2008, 08:32 PM
Still planning my next hiking trip, providing we get a decent dry day. Up Super Bravo, hike up Jester, over the Long Trail, down Mt Ellen, and bike back to L/P. Last year's hike on German Flats killed my legs. Maybe this weekend - as long as I don't trust the weatherman, they just can't get anything right!
:D