PDA

View Full Version : The new voice in the valley

Lostone
05-24-2008, 08:50 AM
Do you recognize that phrase?

It is one of the station IDs of the community radio station. Did you know the valley has a community radio station?

It is WMRW-LP, 95.1 in Warren.

I'd seen a flyer, somewhere and had heard of it. I may have seen it mentioned on the local public access TV. But it took a while to find it and give it a listen. It is different. :wink: The difference between shows can be quite a lot, depending on who is running the show, and how they feel.

I checked out their website (http://www.wmrw.org/) and found a link to host your own show. I noticed, on their schedule (http://www.wmrw.org/programs.html) and found they had no folk/acoustic program. That is where my music tastes generally lie, so. . .

My show is called Morning Coffee. It is mostly a folk/acoustic base with wide divergences. It is on Thursday mornings 8:00 - 10:00.

Check it out. Let me know how many things I do wrong. I'm working for free an worth almost every penny. :D

Check out the other shows. If there is not an active show their computer, Hal, runs a very eclectic mix of music. 8) This is volunteer, independent radio. No shades of Clearchannel, here. 8)

jkvt
07-03-2008, 03:14 PM
Do you recognize that phrase?

It is one of the station IDs of the community radio station. Did you know the valley has a community radio station?

It is WMRW-LP, 95.1 in Warren.

I'd seen a flyer, somewhere and had heard of it. I may have seen it mentioned on the local public access TV. But it took a while to find it and give it a listen. It is different. :wink: The difference between shows can be quite a lot, depending on who is running the show, and how they feel.

I checked out their website (http://www.wmrw.org/) and found a link to host your own show. I noticed, on their schedule (http://www.wmrw.org/programs.html) and found they had no folk/acoustic program. That is where my music tastes generally lie, so. . .

My show is called Morning Coffee. It is mostly a folk/acoustic base with wide divergences. It is on Thursday mornings 8:00 - 10:00.

Check it out. Let me know how many things I do wrong. I'm working for free an worth almost every penny. :D

Check out the other shows. If there is not an active show their computer, Hal, runs a very eclectic mix of music. 8) This is volunteer, independent radio. No shades of Clearchannel, here. 8)

Cool show. If you have local cable you can get an adapter so that even if you can not receive it over the airwaves (which most can not) you can pipe it through your receiver.

jkvt

Lostone
07-03-2008, 07:24 PM
Have you actually heard my show?? Do I have.. a listener?? :shock: :D

Were you listening today, when I had to take the transmitter off line, for a short time? :?

It is really weird, doing a show and talking about the music and stuff and having no idea if you are talking to none, one, dozens or hundreds. You just go along, talking about and playing what interests you.

But if you're talking about the station, that is cool, too. It is very independent. You never know what you're likely to get. Some come with a plan. Some ride it as it takes them. Even HAL plays the widest assortment you'll find on the radio. (HAL is the computer that takes over the helm when there is no programmer there.)

But that is a good suggestion about the cable splitter. I never thought of it, as it is one of the few stations that comes in great, up on the mountain. 8)

skiladi
07-09-2008, 09:39 AM
I found this station a while back. Over a year ago , I think. Next time I am up I will give your show a listen. But I'm confused about your "wondering" how many listeners you had. I thought you talked to yourself all the time. ; }

Lostone
07-09-2008, 10:21 AM
Yes.. But I know better than to listen. :roll: :wink:

And I know there are a few others, at least, besides my invisible friends, but you always wonder how many are out there.

I really like the station. It is very independent, so you never know what you'll get.

Sorry for blowing you guys off, the other night. I knew there was some valuable seats, and was heading for them. I knew that if I tried to push you to move faster, you'd have sicked that vicious guard dog on me.

As it was, there was a skirmish for some of the other seats, around me. After I was settled, a group of folks headed over, from Snow Creek. They were a little. . . under the weather, and had some problems getting organized. They set up a blanket on either side of me, and had a few people on the left, and one on the right.

A short time after that, another group showed up, and took the empty spaces to the left and right of me. The people that sat right next to me were Jon and Heather, who you know.

And they didn't sit next to me, because of me. (That's for sure! :roll: :lol: ) They were looking for good places, and saw those. Then Jon looked over and saw that I was next to him. That was when the other people for the right blanket appeared, and tried to get everyone else to leave. . . which wasn't happening.

To bring it back to the OT, (Watch how I do this. :wink: ) after the fireworks were over, and as we were heading back, I mentioned that I was doing the show. They both said they loved that station. They'd been listening for quite a while, when they were up. They were using the cable splitter, for it.

Tomorrow's show will be a longer one, with either a long feature, or, more likely two shorter ones on Leonard Cohen. Great writer! 8) (Now I have to get back to setting it up. :wink: )