PDA

View Full Version : Better be here!

atkinson
04-14-2008, 03:11 PM
I was starting to get a little worried after hearing that the Rock was "almost done." So in the interest of first-hand knowledge, I went to look. Found this on the way ...

http://forums.alpinezone.com/gallery/data/515/041408-half-pipe1.jpg
Half-pipe. No tracks. 1pm. Smooth as velvet.

http://forums.alpinezone.com/gallery/data/515/041408-tracks1.jpg
Saw this from an obligatory Heaven's Gate sojourn. He eighted his buddy's tracks and then stopped to take a picture.

http://forums.alpinezone.com/gallery/data/515/041408-Bear-Claw1.jpg
Tried this, just see what it was like. Everything in the sun was sweet. Shady stuff will be great tomorrow.

http://forums.alpinezone.com/gallery/data/515/041408-Liftline1.jpg
And Liftline looked so good, I had to drop from the top. The left side sunny line was perfect satiny powder over a nice corn base. Basically one track or no tracks in front of me for the entire run. Honestly, one of my best of the season on this trail.

This week is going to be special, so if you have any chance of coming out, take it!

John

kcyanks1
04-14-2008, 03:33 PM
Weird to see such clean looking woods! I ventured into Paradise woods on Saturday, and it was a total mess in there with twigs and branches all over the place. The long trail was blocked by a downed tree.

summitchallenger
04-14-2008, 04:55 PM
I just got home from the 'bush. I skied Gatehouse side all afternoon...hitting North Lynx several times. I thought about taking a chance on CR, guess I should have....it was great on Saturday.

shadyjay
04-14-2008, 07:35 PM
Anxiously awaiting Wednesday I am.... predict t-shirt wx, sunglasses, and soft snow I do. Yoda I am not...
Damn, these 2-day work weeks are killers... and its back to 4-day weeks next week. So I'm gonna rock the Bush most likely at least 3 or 4 days between Wed & Sun. I can taste the ice cold Long Trails or Castlerocks already running down my throat after I blast out a dozen or so runs. And if I don't wear a helmet, I'll be the fool singin' while shreddin. Heck ... gotta enjoy life! Tis the season for spring skiing at the Bush and be there I will 8) Look for the grey Shady sweatshirt.

Hardbooter
04-14-2008, 09:24 PM
A bunch of us skied Roller Coaster in Slide Brook on Saturday (left at door #2). We found rotten snow and debris everywhere. We found sections with multiple downed trees (and this was only one of the trails.) We're going to be busy on the summer Slide Brook work weekend.
BTW, anyone who wants to volunteer and learn a little bit more about the Slide Brook trails should come join us. It's usually one or two weekends in August and it looks like these ice/wind storms in the last few weeks have left us with a lot of work to do. Primarily we need to get all the down trees out of the way so no one breaks a leg next year. There's at least one scary looking widow maker too.

Hawk
04-15-2008, 06:24 AM
We're going to be busy on the summer Slide Brook work weekend.
BTW, anyone who wants to volunteer and learn a little bit more about the Slide Brook trails should come join us. It's usually one or two weekends in August and it looks like these ice/wind storms in the last few weeks have left us with a lot of work to do.

This is a good sugestion. There were only 5 of us last year.

kcyanks1
04-15-2008, 07:35 AM
A bunch of us skied Roller Coaster in Slide Brook on Saturday (left at door #2). We found rotten snow and debris everywhere. We found sections with multiple downed trees (and this was only one of the trails.) We're going to be busy on the summer Slide Brook work weekend.
BTW, anyone who wants to volunteer and learn a little bit more about the Slide Brook trails should come join us. It's usually one or two weekends in August and it looks like these ice/wind storms in the last few weeks have left us with a lot of work to do. Primarily we need to get all the down trees out of the way so no one breaks a leg next year. There's at least one scary looking widow maker too.

Can you post more details as it approaches?

boze
04-15-2008, 08:06 AM
Ibid

chuck
04-15-2008, 09:03 AM
Count me in! As much advance notice as possible would be appreciated, as I'll be traveling up from the flatlands of Jersey.

Tin Woodsman
04-15-2008, 10:09 AM
One more here too.

Never heard about it last year.

HowieT2
04-15-2008, 10:30 AM
Have chainsaw, will travel.

Hardbooter
04-15-2008, 10:36 AM
Craig Spear is in charge of the back country guides and the work weekend(s). He'll be talking with people to find a good weekend or two and taking a head count in early summer or late spring. I'll try and keep posting the latest info on the chat room. Although, I think most of us spend less time in the chat room with the arrival of warm weather. If Craig doesn't already have your email address you can give it to me in a private posting and I'll pass it on to him. I don't like to post email addresses on a public web page where spam robots can pick it up. But, I'm no expert on how the chat room works so if people know a better way to swap emails, let me know.

Hardbooter
04-15-2008, 10:43 AM
Just a note with regards to chain saws and power tools; only mountain employees can use the power tools on the work weekends for liability reasons (I think.) The rest of us will just use the old school loppers and pruning saws. So HowieT2, hopefully you are a mountain employee or you can hide that chain saw in your pants and sneak it out when no one is looking.

HowieT2
04-15-2008, 10:47 AM
Just a note with regards to chain saws and power tools; only mountain employees can use the power tools on the work weekends for liability reasons (I think.) The rest of us will just use the old school loppers and pruning saws. So HowieT2, hopefully you are a mountain employee or you can hide that chain saw in your pants and sneak it out when no one is looking.

Rats! That's a bummer. Does make sense though.

kcyanks1
04-15-2008, 11:05 AM

Why not just take Hardbooter's suggestion and hide it in your pants? :-) I think also SB would be concerned about having too much cut away if everyone had power tools. Might even be some issues legal issues there as well? I'm not sure of the ownership status of the Slidebrook land.

Yard Sale
04-15-2008, 11:17 AM
In.

Tin Woodsman
04-15-2008, 12:49 PM

Why not just take Hardbooter's suggestion and hide it in your pants? :-) I think also SB would be concerned about having too much cut away if everyone had power tools. Might even be some issues legal issues there as well? I'm not sure of the ownership status of the Slidebrook land.

General rule is that it's bad form (and dangerous) to use power tools when pruning under any circumstances, unless you're a mountain employee doing approved work. Loppers and a bow saw will do just fine - you'd be surprised with what a dozen well-organized people can accomplish with only hand tools in 5-6 hours on the hill.

Treeskier
04-15-2008, 07:11 PM
We will post the work weekends soon!

skibum1321
04-16-2008, 09:08 AM

General rule is that it's bad form (and dangerous) to use power tools when pruning under any circumstances, unless you're a mountain employee doing approved work. Loppers and a bow saw will do just fine - you'd be surprised with what a dozen well-organized people can accomplish with only hand tools in 5-6 hours on the hill.
Power tools aren't allowed at the MRG work days either. We do get a ton done whenever I go to the days though.