PDA

View Full Version : Berklee at Timbers and Other Ideas for Summer Activity

teleo
04-08-2008, 11:51 AM
Not sure how many ski addicts have a secondary addiction to Jazz, but I do, and just wanted to say thank you to the folks responsible for getting Berklee to play at Timbers this year.
It was an excellent show Sat to top of an excellent day of skiing. Not to many places I know of that have a Jazz orchestra for apres-ski.
The other two shows by Berklee this year were great too.

Will Berklee be on the agenda next year too? I hope so.
Any chance of parlaying the Berklee relationship into a off season Jazz fest? The "Sugabush Jazz Fesival" or "MRV Jazz Festival" have a nice ring to them.

Tin Woodsman
04-08-2008, 05:27 PM
Better yet, if you could get Phish to perform at North like back in the day, that would be great to.

Thanks a bunch.

Sincerely,

This Guy

win
04-08-2008, 07:13 PM
we loved them. They had a great time, too, so I hope they will be back and maybe even this summer.

BushMogulMaster
04-08-2008, 07:24 PM
Not sure how many ski addicts have a secondary addiction to Jazz, but I do, and just wanted to say thank you to the folks responsible for getting Berklee to play at Timbers this year.
It was an excellent show Sat to top of an excellent day of skiing. Not to many places I know of that have a Jazz orchestra for apres-ski.
The other two shows by Berklee this year were great too.

Will Berklee be on the agenda next year too? I hope so.
Any chance of parlaying the Berklee relationship into a off season Jazz fest? The "Sugabush Jazz Fesival" or "MRV Jazz Festival" have a nice ring to them.

I definitely think that a Sugarbush Jazz Fest would be a great off-season attraction. I, for one, would be happy to get a group together and play. I'm certain Bruce Sklar would bring his band, get the Berklee kids here, see if UVM wants to bring their jazz ensemble, and try to rope in a big name or two. Could be fun.

Win... next on the agenda: baby grand in Timbers. :D

jkvt
04-09-2008, 08:36 AM
Any concerts would be a great addition to the summer season. Better yet a Mountain Bike Race with concert combo to showcase Sugarbush and The Valley in Summer. Or uphill running race and concert and you can always through in a skateboard/rollerblade demo in the parking lot.

jkvt

ski_resort_observer
04-09-2008, 09:04 AM
Any concerts would be a great addition to the summer season. Better yet a Mountain Bike Race with concert combo to showcase Sugarbush and The Valley in Summer. Or uphill running race and concert and you can always through in a skateboard/rollerblade demo in the parking lot.

jkvt

These things we used to do and I think trying them again would be awesome. Big concerts are really risky but when they go off well they are a blast. We did have some big events this past summer like the Herc race and a PDGA nationally sanctioned disc golf tournament.

Luckily, Phish is no more as I don't think the valley would be very accepting as the memories are still strong from the last Phish show, several years ago....who knew! Maybe we can get Trey, would love that, possibly when he's in the area checking in with his probation officer. :wink:

Anyway, here is a pic of an old t-shirt from those days.
http://forums.skimrv.com/albums/album33/bushsumcon.jpg

Hawk
04-09-2008, 09:36 AM
Luckily, Phish is no more as I don't think the valley would be very accepting as the memories are still strong from the last Phish show, several years ago....who knew! Maybe we can get Trey, would love that, possibly when he's in the area checking in with his probation officer. :wink:

Funny you should say that. All the people from the valley that I have talked to over the years remember the event as a huge success sans the traffic mess. All the business around made great money all of the lodging was full and the show was rockin. I guess I'm just a fan. :wink: Anyway bring on the live entertainment!

notorious
04-09-2008, 04:39 PM
I'm with Hawk on this, even though I am much older (chronologically, anyway).

jkvt
04-09-2008, 05:30 PM

jkvt

These things we used to do and I think trying them again would be awesome. Big concerts are really risky but when they go off well they are a blast. We did have some big events this past summer like the Herc race and a PDGA nationally sanctioned disc golf tournament.

IMHO - Big events are great and having worked many I do understand the down side, but smaller events can be just as great. Aside from the B&J concert series, I remember a beer fest one year that was a very fun event (not a blick fest). Just thinking of more ways to get people to recognize what we do have. Small events are often better as they have room to grow and find their niches. The disc golf tourney is a great example of something small and focused at a niche audience, combine that with some evening music and you could draw more people. Also the Taste of The Valley event at the new base area would be great. So much better than when it was at the 'convention ctr' which was a tight squeeze.

I am sure others have their favs.
Just a few for the hopper.

jkvt

shadyjay
04-09-2008, 05:37 PM
Oh how I wished I was at the '95 Phish show at "summerstage" at Sugarbush North. My first Phish show was two days before the Bush appearance... back at a time when you could get tickets to their shows on the day of the show, pre- post-Dead era. Never did make it to Coventry - wasn't about to leave my vehicle on the side of the road... traffic at the ME events had gotten to the point of insanity. Though... it is nice to have the '94 or '95 Phish show at the Bush come on my IPod, especially while carving down the trails where hundreds experienced that show for real over a decade prior.

However, if Phish did reunite and play at the 'Bush, I"m guessing I'd walk from Waterbury, or hitchhike. Wouldn't bother me in the least. Ah, I can dream 8)

Hawk
04-10-2008, 11:06 AM
Freinds of mine said they parked on the fire road in Jerusalem and hiked up and over. They camped in the alpine and carried in "refreshments". It sounded like a great experience.

Hawk
04-10-2008, 11:19 AM

jkvt

I think that the race idea is a no brainer. Sunday River and Mount Snow take full advantage of this. I can personally vouch that SB did a great job last year on the trails. The only problem is that for the most part the Mountain Bike community is not aware of the SB product. Having a few races with music and the Castlerock pub outdoor grill going would bring in a whole new crew of prople.

atkinson
04-10-2008, 12:27 PM
We've got a major mtb race scheduled for this summer already, plus the PDGA is coming back. Thanks for the kudos on the trail efforts! If you liked last season, you'll really like what we've got planned for this season.

John

HowieT2
04-10-2008, 02:25 PM
We've got a major mtb race scheduled for this summer already, plus the PDGA is coming back. Thanks for the kudos on the trail efforts! If you liked last season, you'll really like what we've got planned for this season.

John

I started working on my bike last weekend, so bring on the sun/trails. I thought the trails were great last year but the vibe at the base was a little quiet. I think some tunes and having the outdoor grill going would really be great (don't know how that works with the GH construction). Didn't like having to eat at Timbers (not that there's anything wrong with it), sweating and coated in mud.

Also, I've noticed SB has done a much better job getting brochures into the local ski shops here in westchester. Should do something similar for bike shops.

Last Tracks
04-10-2008, 09:06 PM
Oh how I wished I was at the '95 Phish show at "summerstage" at Sugarbush North.

It was a great show. I watched the second act from a tree on Inverness skiers left . A lot of people at the show didn't pay for tickets. Groups were hiking up to the top of Inverness and then running down all at once. Security was completely outnumbered. We parked on what is now south hollow road.