PDA

View Full Version : Would $5/gallon gas prices curtail your skiing next year ?

TimKeogh
03-31-2008, 07:22 PM
Just curious. I know a lot of you drive 4+ hrs many weekends to ski.

Even with only an hour drive to ME, I noticed a big spike in my gasoline bill this month.

Won't stop me, might carpool more though.

asland
03-31-2008, 07:35 PM
not sure, I get 40 mpg but I already laugh as the weekly parade of clown filled suv's averaging about 12mpg roar past me. Ha Ha Ha....

asland

HowieT2
03-31-2008, 08:18 PM
not sure, I get 40 mpg but I already laugh as the weekly parade of clown filled suv's averaging about 12mpg roar past me. Ha Ha Ha....

asland

Not funny. I wish there was a vehicle that could transport my family (me, wife and 2 kids) that got 40 mpg. But alas, there is no such beast. I traded in my Expedition of a cx9. Lets hope the next president isn't an oilman (or an idiot for that matter).

This brings up a a good point. I know that the VT DOT subsidizes Amtrak trains from NY to VT. I've looked into taking the train for when I have to come up by myself and it is just not practical even though the train to Rutland actually stops in Croton, not 5 miles from my home. The train is relatively expensive, takes forever and there's only 1 a day. Has there been any discussion of revitalizing train travel to VT or what can be done to make it work?

asland
03-31-2008, 08:57 PM
I wish there was a vehicle that could transport my family (me, wife and 2 kids) that got 40 mpg.

Honda Civic does it for my wife, two kids, and I.

Lets hope the next president isn't an oilman (or an idiot for that matter).

here here!!!

This brings up a a good point. I know that the VT DOT subsidizes Amtrak trains from NY to VT. I've looked into taking the train for when I have to come up by myself and it is just not practical even though the train to Rutland actually stops in Croton, not 5 miles from my home. The train is relatively expensive, takes forever and there's only 1 a day. Has there been any discussion of revitalizing train travel to VT or what can be done to make it work?

OK Option:
I tried taking the train from boston into waterbury. Long ride. Fun but slow.

Better Option:
The Vermont Transit bus - clean, quick, and cheap goes into montpelier and then the mad bus into sugarbush. good option.

Best Option:
There are several companies that take day trips up from boston.
http://www.snosearch.com/DayBus/DayBus.htm
http://www.bssc.com/index.cfm?page=dates_details.cfm&category=5&activity=35
They run $70 (bus ride plus ski ticket). They are fast, direct, and cheap. Plus, usually a good way to meet fellow skiers.

asland

jwt
03-31-2008, 09:05 PM
Not sure how expensive that gas bill would look if you were crushed by something larger than the tin can that gets 40 MPG.

I've said it before - gas is the same price at $102 per barrel as the $38 barrel was in 1979in constant dollars. Do I like it any better? No, but it is the best price in the universe, outside of Saudi. . and there are few ski areas I can drive to from there. Whack off the state and federal taxes, and we are down to $2.60 a gallon. Beats $8 in Europe. They are paying the exact same amount in the free market per barrel as we are.

We car pool more now that ever, and for the ski buds that I go with, I bet our gas bill is lower than the past three years. . . always 3-4 . last week 6! in an SUV. . . . . . we all are paying less based on the car pooling this year.

Besides, there is no 'oil man' who is dictating the price of oil to the world markets. . . . . . .and if there were, the guy would have to be brilliant, now wouldn't he?

HowieT2
03-31-2008, 09:13 PM
Not sure how expensive that gas bill would look if you were crushed by something larger than the tin can that gets 40 MPG.

I've said it before - gas is the same price at $102 per barrel as the $38 barrel was in 1979in constant dollars. Do I like it any better? No, but it is the best price in the universe, outside of Saudi. . and there are few ski areas I can drive to from there. Whack off the state and federal taxes, and we are down to $2.60 a gallon. Beats $8 in Europe. They are paying the exact same amount in the free market per barrel as we are.

We car pool more now that ever, and for the ski buds that I go with, I bet our gas bill is lower than the past three years. . . always 3-4 . last week 6! in an SUV. . . . . . we all are paying less based on the car pooling this year.

Besides, there is no 'oil man' who is dictating the price of oil to the world markets. . . . . . .and if there were, the guy would have to be brilliant, now wouldn't he?

and 1979 was a banner year for the US.
No oil man dictates the price of oil, but they do affect it by pursuing energy/foreign policies which are favorable to the suppliers and disastrous for the consumers.

TimKeogh
03-31-2008, 09:20 PM

Greg - please kill this thread if it degenerates to oil politics.

My original intent was to poll for a sense of how much is too much when you have to drive 400+ miles every weekend all winter. :oops:

asland
03-31-2008, 09:28 PM

ahhh. The sweet sounds of lame excuses, justifications, and rationalizations of those who do not want to change!

shadyjay
03-31-2008, 10:12 PM
Getting back to the topic at hand..........

Forget $5/gal gas... the high cost of gas has already cut back on my trips to other mountains this season. Last year, I did a few overnighters to Mt Snow and Stratton, plus days at Kmart and Jay. This season, things are quite different for me than previous seasons...
1. Had no desire to go to K-mart thanks to the management there
2. Wanted to go to Mt Snow and Stratton but my friend who works at the latter never got in touch with me - he's got Nextel... that should say it all right there.
3. I have a dog now, so overnight trips are more complicated, though I can get friends to watch him
4. Wanted to get to Jay, but unless I go with someone to do the woods, their trails are kinda pointless.
5. Cut down my Okemo trips this year to 4, and never met up with my friend who comes up from CT to ride there.
6. The cost of gas, plus my 'Cruiser only getting 10-12 mpg, plus having Sugarbush only 15 minutes away, I think it's obvious where I spend most of my days.

If gas gets too much higher, next winter may be spent 100% at the Bush, forgoing all "southern mountains". I plan to schedule most of my trips to CT this summer/fall to be on Amtrak, as the present approx r/t is just over $100, while gas in my cruiser at present is about $60 each way... and at this rate, it ain't gettin' cheaper!

Of course, simple solution you may be saying is get a vehicle with better mpg. But at present, I don't drive my rig to work, and usually only drive it wknds, to/from the Bush. Plus, it's a freakin' tank off-road and I'm not givin' that up. And the objective is to save $$$ to buy a house. Since I'm currently laid off, not sure if that goal will be met this year. As long as I can afford my 08/09 Plus pass... that'll be one hurdle to jump over.

bill-now
04-01-2008, 06:06 AM
Gas prices won't keep me away.

300 miles at +30 MPG (Honda Accord)= 10 gallons. At $5/gallon that is 100 dollars a round trip. We always have at least two people in our car. Getting up here cost less than one lift ticket per person. Driving would still be the cheapest way up here.

skibum1321
04-01-2008, 07:53 AM
Getting back to the topic at hand..........

Forget $5/gal gas... the high cost of gas has already cut back on my trips to other mountains this season. Last year, I did a few overnighters to Mt Snow and Stratton, plus days at Kmart and Jay. This season, things are quite different for me than previous seasons...
1. Had no desire to go to K-mart thanks to the management there
2. Wanted to go to Mt Snow and Stratton but my friend who works at the latter never got in touch with me - he's got Nextel... that should say it all right there.
3. I have a dog now, so overnight trips are more complicated, though I can get friends to watch him
4. Wanted to get to Jay, but unless I go with someone to do the woods, their trails are kinda pointless.
5. Cut down my Okemo trips this year to 4, and never met up with my friend who comes up from CT to ride there.
6. The cost of gas, plus my 'Cruiser only getting 10-12 mpg, plus having Sugarbush only 15 minutes away, I think it's obvious where I spend most of my days.

If gas gets too much higher, next winter may be spent 100% at the Bush, forgoing all "southern mountains". I plan to schedule most of my trips to CT this summer/fall to be on Amtrak, as the present approx r/t is just over $100, while gas in my cruiser at present is about $60 each way... and at this rate, it ain't gettin' cheaper!

Of course, simple solution you may be saying is get a vehicle with better mpg. But at present, I don't drive my rig to work, and usually only drive it wknds, to/from the Bush. Plus, it's a freakin' tank off-road and I'm not givin' that up. And the objective is to save $$$ to buy a house. Since I'm currently laid off, not sure if that goal will be met this year. As long as I can afford my 08/09 Plus pass... that'll be one hurdle to jump over.

I don't see why you would want to go to the Southern mountains anyway. You would have to pay me to go to any of the mountains that you previously mentioned. If I lived in h20bury, it would be Bush and MRG all the time for me (It is anyway and I come up from Mass).

As for the question, I probably will still come up just as much - my Mazda 3 is pretty good on gas and I couldn't imagine a winter with only a few ski days - I'd go nuts.

boze
04-01-2008, 09:07 AM
With wife, 2 kids plus gear coming from Southern CT (we don't - as yet - rent or own in VT) we simply do not fit in anything that gets more then 20-25 mpg. Our Pacifica does not guzzle nor does it sip fuel. But armed with Blizzaks and its AWD the safety factor increases dramatically for my family and the fuel bill is manageable. I can't fathom making the 4 hour trek in typical Winter weather in some lightweight hybrid or similar.

With gas heading towards $5 it may only be a factor with my notorious 'day trips' to Sugarbush, where I hit the road at 4am and return same day. Rare that that happens, but when there's a foot of fresh and some immovable committment the next day, I choose powder + 8 hrs in the car. So far only my 10 yr old son is as passionate / crazy as his dad on this score. This year that meant hitting Opening Day at Mellen. Last year it was Holy Saturday...and Easter Monday. :wink:

skiladi
04-01-2008, 10:07 AM
I like the safety and comfort of an SUV but I went from a Saab 97x that averaged 17-18 mpg to a crossover that averages 20-21. A small step but it helps. I won't stop making the 300 mile RT for skiing. I do travel far less in the summer months. I may do a kayak trip with the grandkids around the 4th as usual or go up for a hike or two but 3-4 trips for summer and fall will be it. I know that doesn't help the 4-season plan for the 'bush but I have to have priorities and skiing is it! ; }

chuck
04-01-2008, 10:57 AM
With four (4) daughters and friends, going 10 miles up a class four road at 2am, I'm driving the mamouth people/gear hauler. I need the people/cargo area and don't particularly like hearing the whining about walking a 1/2 mile up hill to get to our house after a five hour, 280 mile trek, due to the 12 inches of snow between plowing.
It's the price I must pay, and do so. The price of gas will not deter me from taking my family skiing, I admit it, i'm an addict. I'll alter my life in other ways or sell one of the kids or a kidney.

Yard Sale
04-01-2008, 11:02 AM
Well, for my 4 kids, my wife, me and 2 goofy Labrador Retrievers our vehichle of choice for our weekly winter sojourn is a Toyota Sienna. That's right the 4th child pushed us out of the SUV into the dreaded minivan. However, with AWD and a cargo box on top it has served admirably in all conditions thus far for the past two seasons.

At $5.00 per Gal The MV (mini van) gets +/- 18 miles per gallon and miles per trip is 400 miles round trip= approx. fuel cost $100.00 per trip X 18 ski trips = $1,800.00 annualy for ski travel to the Bush.

At present rates +/- 3.25 per Gallon that works out to $72.00 per trip and an annual ski trip travel cost to the Bush at $1,287.00. At Five Freekin' Bucks a Gallon my net additional cost is Approx. $513.00. The experience of sharing winter together as a family outdoors skiing and walking in the Green Mountains: Priceless. The Man can keep chipin' away and chipin away, and yet Yard Sale remains in the game and continues to play.

This scientific analysis leads to 2 undeniable conlusions:

1.) In the $5.00 per galllon scenario, I'll need to trim a little extra fat elsewhere in the family budget.

2.) Even if gas becomes free, I'm getting a vasectomy.

Yeah Baby! Yard Sale is gonna be a recreational vehicle!

YS

outofshape
04-01-2008, 12:01 PM
It might not curtail the skiing/snowboarding but it will curtail the amount we go out to eat.. i.e. breakfast, lunch, dinner.

Beer will go to PBR and God forbid some $3 buck chuck.

Strat
04-01-2008, 05:28 PM
Has there been any discussion of revitalizing train travel to VT or what can be done to make it work?
Governor Dean had some big ideas for railroad revitalization back in the 90's, but they for the most part got shot down because everyone assumed that it wasn't worth pouring money into a system that would go underutilized... if gas prices keep rising though we may see an interest perk up once again.

win
04-01-2008, 06:04 PM
Here is a prediction that is going way out on a limb. All bubbles eventually burst and the most dangerous five words in investing are "this time it is different." When the commodity bubble bursts prices will come down dramatically. Just wait until China's 12% growth slows down to 8%. Let's resume this conversation in a year!

04-01-2008, 06:43 PM
My beat up old 2000 Cherokee gets only 18 MPG at best. At 155,000+ miles, it just keeps going and going. Not going to incur a premature car payment just to get a more fuel efficient car. I won't let gas prices impact my skiing. I'll cut back somewhere else if need be.

freeheel_skier
04-01-2008, 09:13 PM
Here is a prediction that is going way out on a limb. All bubbles eventually burst and the most dangerous five words in investing are "this time it is different." When the commodity bubble bursts prices will come down dramatically. Just wait until China's 12% growth slows down to 8%. Let's resume this conversation in a year!

Amen Brother!

Hawk
04-05-2008, 10:05 AM
Back from Utah............Geese......Skiing is what we do in this house. I can truthfully say that the cost of gas is irrelivant. Skiing is what keeps us going through the week. I would cut out everything else in my life to subsidise my addiction.... :wink:

beelze
04-12-2008, 08:32 AM

Gonna take the Fed to stop printing the money too.. that or the domestic econ to turn back up (catch 22) and drag some of the hedge money out of crude and back into equities. Then perhaps OPEC would see fit to return to their hedging programs.

As to the original question - up until 2003/4 I would drive up for a week to 10 days then back home for a week or so. Rinse, repeat. About a 600 mile r/t and 30 gallons in the old SUV or 24 in the current ride. When gas (super unfortunately) was 1.50-1.75/gal this was no problem (other than the travel time) at roughly 45 bucks. With prices now around 3.50 ($85) I spend the majority of the winter up here - admitedly I do not miss the drive. But it is also the first year I didn't go to Jay, Stowe, Smuggs or Kmart for a change of pace. Likewise I think I only made two trips into Burlington.

So in my case I've adjusted along the way already and to some extent would continue to do so as the price rose, though there really isn't much more to be saved on travel alone. Eating/drinking out would probably be next in line.

As to $5/gal that would take crude to be between $175/200 a bbl given current and past refiner margins so we probably have some room to breath before that becomes a regular price.