PDA

View Full Version : Woods status?

Hardbooter
03-27-2008, 02:00 PM
Has anyone tried to ski the woods recently? I was in last Sunday and with no new snow, I figured that it would be pretty marginal. I'm having some guests up for the weekend and they were looking forward to woods skiing. I'm just wondering if there has been some magic weather that might have fixed the woods during the week.

atkinson
03-27-2008, 03:43 PM
Lots of stuff is good, but it all depends on aspect and elevation, i.e. corny woods on the lower south-facing pitches and still dry snow on the upper north-facing pitches. Saturday looks like it will be the colder of the two days, so Sunday may be the best for softer snow.

Good luck and have fun!

John

Hardbooter
03-27-2008, 04:03 PM
Thanks. That seems like a natural extension of what we saw on Sunday. The south faces hadn't really softened yet so we stuck to north faces and had to avoid the tracked stuff which was a little too firm. By afternoon we we hunting far and wide. I guess if the tracked up stuff had 'loosened' a little it might have been a little nicer.

I'll have to see how adventurous my guests are. I don't think many people would be interested in what we were doing Sunday. As far as adventure skiing goes, I think it would be a little strong on the 'adventure' and a little less on the skiing part for most people. Not everyones cup of tea, especially if they just forked over $70 or whatever the ticket price is these days. Plus I'm getting sick of being whacked in the face by ice covered branches. Has that ice melted yet?

Strat
03-27-2008, 05:05 PM
Last weekend was very nice (dry and soft) in the low elevation woods... if someone had broken the crust for you. Otherwise it was a bit scrapish. Definitely want to stay out of really high traffic areas like Eden though - big hard woods bumps.

atkinson
03-28-2008, 06:24 AM
There's some new snow today, so things have changed again. Looks like another great weekend!

John