PDA

View Full Version : Blazers

Sugaree
03-24-2008, 12:26 PM
Yesterday was the last day of Blazers. I can't say enough good things about this program. It is part of the "it" that makes Sugarbush such a special place. Not to single anyone out, because I have a great deal of admiration for most of the Blazer coaches I have seen, however, my daughter is in the Big Dogs, and I got to witness first-hand the Big Dogs on the mountain. I have been involved in sports my whole life, and Jim Rousseau, the "Big Dog," is one of finest coaches I have ever seen. The Big Dogs are the group that synchro - ski to line-up. They are also the group that skied yesterday on Ripcord and Castlerock Run on one ski. All of the kids have improved tremendously, and are skiing really well. More importantly, the kids (9-11 year olds) are all buddies, and have an absolute blast on the hill. Props to the Big Dog, John A, and all the Blazer coaches for a great season. I know I am just one of many very satisfied "customers."

HowieT2
03-24-2008, 12:47 PM
Yesterday was the last day of Blazers. I can't say enough good things about this program. It is part of the "it" that makes Sugarbush such a special place. Not to single anyone out, because I have a great deal of admiration for most of the Blazer coaches I have seen, however, my daughter is in the Big Dogs, and I got to witness first-hand the Big Dogs on the mountain. I have been involved in sports my whole life, and Jim Rousseau, the "Big Dog," is one of finest coaches I have ever seen. The Big Dogs are the group that synchro - ski to line-up. They are also the group that skied yesterday on Ripcord and Castlerock Run on one ski. All of the kids have improved tremendously, and are skiing really well. More importantly, the kids (9-11 year olds) are all buddies, and have an absolute blast on the hill. Props to the Big Dog, John A, and all the Blazer coaches for a great season. I know I am just one of many very satisfied "customers."

Ditto- my daughter is 7 and was in Frances and Kyle's group. We could not have been happier. She has gone from skiing gingerly down sleeper chute at the beginning of the season to ripping down lift line. Not to mention that she is so strong now I am scared of her. Can't thank all those involved in the program enough.
We have friends who had been k-mart regulars until this season and they were so happy with blazers that they are considering selling their place in Killington and buying at SB.

Yard Sale
03-24-2008, 03:32 PM

Ditto- my daughter is 7 and was in Frances and Kyle's group. We could not have been happier. She has gone from skiing gingerly down sleeper chute at the beginning of the season to ripping down lift line. Not to mention that she is so strong now I am scared of her. Can't thank all those involved in the program enough.
We have friends who had been k-mart regulars until this season and they were so happy with blazers that they are considering selling their place in Killington and buying at SB.

The same story here. The Blazers program rocks. My 7 yr old daughter too is with Kyle and Francis. They are great ski instructors, but also are in tune with managing the personalities and making sure that along with becoming rippers, the kids are having fun and most importantly feeling good about themselves.

My 10 yr old skied with Andy, just another great guy, this year and again what a great ski/life coach for these kids.

In fact, you also have to give it up to the whole ALC as well. Tracy and that crew deal with what can appear to be pure chaos at drop off on a busy Saturday morning and somehow make it harmonious.

Yeah, you could say I'm on the Kool Aid. It tastes good.

gone.skiing
03-24-2008, 05:12 PM
Great thread and it will be a long list...

Huge thanks to Julia Birnn and Tim Cusik for this season. This was my son's first year in Adventure Blazers and to say I am pleased would be an understatement. The patience and enthusiasm they showed keeping an eye on a group of 7/9/10 year old boys skiing all over Castlerock blows my mind. Herding cats would have been a lot easier.

I also want to mention Vermont North Team coaches (Chris Parkinson, Jesse Murphy, Wes and Suzie Lowe) that work with adult programs but are always happy to take a few runs with the kids. All summer my son keeps looking forward to skiing with them on occasion.

And finally the man himself... John Egan. Does not really require commentary, if you don't know what I am talking about you are missing a big part of what Sugarbush has to offer.

Even if your kids are not in the seasonal program getting them to ski with any of the coaches mentioned in this thread for a day is the best thing you can do for their skiing. Now pass that Kool Aid!

Yard Sale
03-24-2008, 05:57 PM
Much thanks also to John Atkinson. He has done another great job! A jack of so many trades and seemingly a master of them all.

skigal
03-24-2008, 07:57 PM
Kudos to Doug Shick!

This is my ninth seaon as a Blazer parent and though I'm not quite as close to the day to day issues as I was when my kids were younger, I have seen the program continually evolve and improve, everything from skills, accessible terrain and quality of coaches/staff. Most important continues to be the fun factor for these kids and that, along with the relationships they build with kids they would never have known otherwise, is huge.

There are the other Maxi Blazer programs as well....Women's Turn, Black Diamond and Bush Pilots. Great seasonal programs for every skier type with their own set of outstanding coaches.

atkinson
03-26-2008, 10:44 AM
Thank you all for your kind words and compliments. You are an integral part of the Sugarbush community and your opinions and experiences mean much.

I am working on a Seasonal Programs video and photo album that should be ready in the next few weeks. Stay tuned. In the meantime, here is a little video shot by Sam, one of the Mini-Blazer coaches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZcPK9YKqo0

See you all soon!

John

aejkb
03-26-2008, 05:40 PM
I also think that the Blazers program is one of Sugarbush's great strengths and should be part of a marketing campaign; something to the effect "tired of shuttling each of your multiple kids to a million different events on the weekends?..."

outofshape
03-31-2008, 01:49 PM
This program has so so much to offer. It is something very special to our family. Hats off to John and the SB staff.

My 5 year old has had the time of her life with the program. Over the past three years from the Bears and this year, the Blazers have taught her some incredible life skills.

As for the Blazer community, there are some of the nicest, smartest and well mannered kids I have seen in an organized group and some very solid down to earth parents that make this truly a fun experience.

On a side note, I was at ME with my 5 year old yesterday and she was a force to be reckoned with in the terrain park.

Any ideas on maybe a preseason cookout next year in the fall so the parents and kids can all meet? Maybe in the Gatehouse Lodge?