PDA

View Full Version : Weather

Sugaree
03-18-2008, 07:53 AM
What's the word for this weather event that is rolling in?

Also, what are the different websites that provide good weather forecasts for Sugarbush/MRG? I look at the typical stuff (weather underground, josh fox's blog, etc.), but was wondering if there are others?

Lostone
03-18-2008, 08:41 AM
I see a mess for tonight into Thursday. Looks like we may gain a few inches, but no telling how much r*&n and when.

I like NOAA's "7 day forecast" for 2932'. (http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?site=BTV&llon=-73.047083&rlon=-72.119583&tlat=44.717917&blat=43.792917&smap=1&mp=1&map.x=42&map.y=160) But I only really look for tomorrow.

That gives me a look at what they are forecasting for just below Bravo's top.

HowieT2
03-18-2008, 11:23 AM
NWS Burlington upgraded to a "Winter Storm Watch" which is a good sign.

From my limited understanding, I think we need this system to move a little south and east. Similar to what we had 2 weeks ago but now there are some factors favoring that development.

We should get an update from J. Fox tonight.

Doing the snow dance (at my desk).

HowieT2
03-18-2008, 03:22 PM
back down to winter weather advisory.

THE WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IS FOR ALL OF NORTHERN NEW YORK...AS
WELL AS THE ENTIRE CHAMPLAIN VALLEY AND WESTERN SLOPES OF THE
GREEN MOUNTAINS IN VERMONT.

SNOW WILL DEVELOP FROM SOUTHWEST TO NORTHEAST ACROSS THE AREA
LATE THIS EVENING...AND THEN MIX WITH SLEET TOWARD DAYBREAK.
LIGHT ICE ACCUMULATIONS ARE POSSIBLE ALONG WITH 1 TO 3 INCHES OF
SNOW AND SLEET ACROSS THE ADVISORY AREA...BEFORE GOING OVER TO
ALL RAIN BY MIDDAY WEDNESDAY.

ski_resort_observer
03-18-2008, 04:28 PM

Luckily, the above is not our area. Roger Hill says we are going to get a "backside nor'easter" with 12"+ by the weekend.....this is the one I'm going with. 8)

HowieT2
03-18-2008, 05:34 PM

Luckily, the above is not our area. Roger Hill says we are going to get a "backside nor'easter" with 12"+ by the weekend.....this is the one I'm going with. 8)

from his mouth to god's ears.

03-18-2008, 07:06 PM
COLD FRONT TO MOVE THROUGH WEDNESDAY NIGHT...WITH ANY MIXED PRECIP
CHANGING BACK OVER TO SNOW AND CONTINUING THURSDAY. LOW LEVEL NW
JET THURSDAY ON THE BACK SIDE OF THE FRONT WILL PRODUCE STRONG
WIND GUST POTENTIAL. HIGH RH IN THE LOW LEVELS AND NORTHWEST FLOW
WILL
CONTINUE SNOWFALL IN FAVORED UPSLOPE AREAS. OPTED TO TREAT
TONIGHTS AND WEDNESDAY NIGHT/THURSDAYS WINTER WEATHER AS TWO
SEPARATE EVENTS...SO WE WOULDN`T HAVE ADVISORIES FOR 36 HOURS WITH
A 12-18HR PERIOD IN THE MIDDLE OF WARM TEMPS. NOT FORECASTING
ADVISORY LEVEL PRECIP ON THE BACK SIDE OF THE LOW IN THE
ADIRONDACKS AND CHAMPLAIN VALLEY...BUT ADVISORY MAY BE NECESSARY
FOR POST FRONTAL WRAP AROUND PRECIP IN NORTHERN/NORTHEAST VERMONT.
WILL RE-EVALUATE TOMORROW AFTER TONIGHTS WEATHER WINDS DOWN.

PS
The woods on Mt Ellen were still in great shape with lots of fresh powder as of yesterday (Monday) afternoon...

groomer
03-18-2008, 09:52 PM
Just got off the hill at 10:30. (yahoo! an extra hour of sleep tonight!) it started to spit snow at about 9:00. by the time we left it was falling pretty hard and was 36 degrees at he base of mt. ellen. really starnge but it was all snow. no accumulation yet.

Yard Sale
03-19-2008, 06:54 AM
Josh Fox:

The specifics
After a few inches of wet snow early Wednesday, we get a period mixed sleet and rain which will persist into the evening. After that the precipitation becomes more showery (in the form of rain) until the passage of the storms associated front and the arrival of our long awaited supply of cold. The snow showers will intensify gradually and temperatures will become cold enough during the evening for an accumulation of powder. It is easy to land yourself way off course when trying to predict amounts in these situations but my best guess is anywhere from 4 to 10 inches between late Thursday and late Friday. Low level instability is actually indicated to linger through the weekend although the depth of the unstable layer is expected to gradually decrease. This essentially means the snow showers will become less frequent and will be less intense. Still, we could see flurries all the way through Sunday.

2-3 inches of fresh snow on the ground and falling as sleet. Heading into Slide Brook today!

Y.S.

HowieT2
03-19-2008, 01:10 PM
This looks bigger than 6-12" from Jay to I-89. With 6-12" at SB/MRG region. I'm preparing some thoughts this morning but from looking at the 00z/06z WRF and BTV's local WRF, if the meso-scale models are right the ski resorts are going to get slammed Thursday afternoon and particularly Friday night...once that trough axis crosses the region, the winds go NNW up through H7 and the low level jet is just hauling at 50kts all the way from Hudson Bay straight into the region. Also another low level jet from the cyclonic flow of the low is importing Atlantic moisture from the maritime region. I'd wager at least a foot north of I-89. I'll try to post some more stuff later but this looks big for the northern and central Green Mountains.

Bring it on, baby!

win
03-19-2008, 04:19 PM
Surprisingly good today. Some sleet along with snow but I didn't feel any rain. Flurries at the base a 5pm.

The big issue is the forecasted winds late Thursday night and into Friday.

The weekend is beginning to look good!