PDA

View Full Version : Fri. Report

shadyjay
03-14-2008, 04:26 PM
Date: March 14, 2008
Resort: Sugarbush - Lincoln Peak
Conditions: Machine Groomed, Packed Powder, some powder on Castlerock, some scratchy
Weather: Morning: dark and creepy, leading to bluebird skies by 11 or so, 30s - early morning breeze
Day Of the Season: #34

Report: They say that the bug hits you after you try something for the first time. I discovered this last summer, when hiking the Long Trail. My first-ever L/T hike was between Lincoln Peak and Mt Ellen, and the following weekend, I tackled gap2gap. Getting back on the snow, on 3/2, I did my first ever Castlerock experience with a run with my friends down Middle Earth on a powder day. Since then, I've had the itch to get back up there. Today would be the day. Apparently, I had another ME Plus pass ticket on my account so I took advantage of it and rode Lincoln Peak. Got to the mountain shortly after 9am, and got the best spot I've ever gotten - the second row group. Usually I'm in the last row group, and on weekends, across the road. I dropped off some DVDs for Win and John at the guest services, got my ticket, and I was off.

First 3 runs were easy off the Gate House to warm up... Pushover, then Sleeper, then Pushover/Lwr Hot Shot. Nice smooth courdoroy on all these runs, though a little soft as you got lower on the mountain. Sleeper Chutes is still looking a little "thin" though everything was covered up. Runs 4 and 5 were off North Lynx down Birch Run, during which on #5, extending down Castlerock Connection to "the chair". The exposed slope on the turn where you hit the liftline was beginning to show signs of spring - though still enough snow - you just have to make the turn wider. Half the battle with Castlerock is making the turn to the chair. With no lift line, this was gonna be good.

First run was down Castlerock Run to (what I thought was) Lower Castlerock Run. Turns out, I was actually on Cotillion. Didn't matter 'cause it was sheer perfection. There were a couple "sketchy" areas up top including some scraping, but since it had been groomed within the past few days, there were very few bumps. Cotillion was perfect, with a little bit of fluff. I was confident so I headed up again and this time diverted onto the Hi & Lo Road, a nice little trail through the trees, then came down the rest of the way on Troll Road - aka - Castlerock's version of Jester. One more time up, and it was down Castlerock Run again to what I thought was Bailout, with the intention of going to Heaven's Gate. Then I made a left turn off of what I thought was Bailout, at a sign I could'a sworn said "Lower Paradise". The run was perfection with powder, but before I knew it, I was shocked to see the Castlerock liftline. (looking later at the trail map, I guess I was on Lower Castlerock Run). So I cruised on the Runout to the base.

Next, was a cornocopia of runs off Super Bravo, including a couple Heaven's Gate runs down Jester. Downspout was excellent today, as was Birdland. Also, I made it through the H/G Traverse with enough speed to eliminate unstrapping, and ripped it down Lower Domino. The 13th run (ha!) was down Jester from the top to the traverse over to Snowball, then Cat's Meow to the base. The beers and nachos were calling my name!

After an hour break or so, I headed out again, back up the 'Bravo, including a ride up with a guy and his snow bike. I did two Downspout runs, plus one more from the top of Heaven's Gate to Jester->Traverse->Snowball->Racer's. By that time, it was 2:45 and it was time to go home. Including the 1-hr break at the 'Pub, I was there riding from 9:30Am to 2:45Pm. New trails to add to my roster include Castlerock Run, Lower Castlerock Run, Hi/Lo Road, Troll Road, and Cotillion, plus Cat's Meow.

I'm glad I chose Lincoln Peak today and to do those Castlerock runs. If I put it off any more, then I'd be kicking myself when it closes for the season. Hopefully the snow will hold up and I'll be shredding it again throughout April.

A ton of pics at http://picasaweb.google.com/shadyjayvt - look for the Trip 34 folder.

Back over to MEllen tomorrow, but may be back to the 'Peak on Sunday.

-Jay
the rockin' shredder

Lostone
03-14-2008, 09:46 PM
Yeah, great day on the hill.

Too bad it was mostly cloudy. :wink:

Someone asked me what the forecast for tomorrow was. I told them that it really didn't matter, as I'd checked the forecast for today and it was mostly cloudy. (We had bluebird skies! 8) )

First run down Murphy's told me the snow was much different than I'd expected. It was carving up very well, even on my badly-in-need-of-a-tune B2s.

But for me, the trail of the day was Spring Fling, which was a. . . spring fling! 8)