PDA

View Full Version : April skiing

castlerock
03-10-2008, 01:18 PM
For the past few seasons the "April Vacation" (the third complete week in April) has been a great end to the season for my family (and the mountain). Beer stashed in the snow for the end of the day, picnic lunches, etc. Has anyone heard anything about the planned closing dates for this year? I know the weather will have a lot to do with the date (I don't want to get into a North vs South late skiing argument, If it was just the skiing, it would be North, no one could argue that, but we know it isn't just about the skiing).

I bring this up as a friend indicated he heard a rumor that the closing would be the weekend of the 20th (bad) as opposed to the weekend of the 27th (good!).

shadyjay
03-10-2008, 03:28 PM
If I'm remembering last year correctly, they operated daily at L/P in April, until the 3rd weekend, then reopened for the final weekend. And again opened for one more day on Steins the first weekend in May. This year, that last full weekend is the 19/20 and the 26/27 is the last April weekend. Going on last year as well, the end of the daily operations, everything was open at L/P, or just about everything. The week they were closed it warmed up so quick that by that final weekend of multiple lift ops, there was just the stuff off Bravo and Heaven's Gate, and a lot of that was questionable. Whether we'll get as lucky as we did last year this year remains to be seen. Hopefully the snow gods will shine on us between now and then and deliver us at least one more powder weekend/weekday so we can get back up to snuff. I gotta get back up the 'Rock one more time!

walks
03-10-2008, 05:34 PM
For the past few seasons the "April Vacation" (the third complete week in April) has been a great end to the season for my family (and the mountain). Beer stashed in the snow for the end of the day, picnic lunches, etc. Has anyone heard anything about the planned closing dates for this year? I know the weather will have a lot to do with the date (I don't want to get into a North vs South late skiing argument, If it was just the skiing, it would be North, no one could argue that, but we know it isn't just about the skiing).

I bring this up as a friend indicated he heard a rumor that the closing would be the weekend of the 20th (bad) as opposed to the weekend of the 27th (good!).

We need to start stashing the beer next weekend for the end of each day.

win
03-11-2008, 05:57 PM
Just like last year, we will try to keep open everyday at LP until Sunday, April 20th. If we can open the next weekend, we will!

castlerock
03-11-2008, 09:37 PM
Not exactly the same, the end of continuous operations last year was Sunday the 23rd. That coincided with the end of the spring vacation (3rd full week of April).

This year, the Spring vacation for public schools in at least MA, NY and NH is April 21-25. I know of many families that are (were?) planning on being here skiing that week. These are the core constituents, the every weekenders, family pass holders, Blazer families, etc... Please don't take away our spring break!

win
03-11-2008, 11:23 PM
HMMM! Good point. The different vacation weeks in all the NE states make it difficult to plan!

Strat
03-12-2008, 06:25 AM
Not that it's as important, but April 21-25 is also the April vacation week for Vermont schools (at least in the district I go to, I'm sure many others as well).

shadyjay
03-12-2008, 06:32 AM
FWIW.... Win has an excellent point. Though its a lot easier with February vacation week since the mountain is still open throughout February, by the time mid April arrives, a skiing/snowboarding vacation is not on everyone's minds. I know when I was going to school, during April vacation I was the only one heading north to go (then) skiing - everyone else being "sick & tired of winter by then. Win & Co. have to do what makes economical sense for them... who knows what'll happen between now and then, wx wise. Southern VT resorts aren't likely to stay open any longer because of spring vacation.
Just my $.02