PDA

View Full Version : Worried flatlander wondering what it is doing up there? 3/5

iceman
03-05-2008, 01:15 PM
After such a beautiful weekend last week I was wondering how things are looking from Yesterday and Today? Did it snow, or precrystalized percip?

Tin Woodsman
03-05-2008, 01:37 PM
Given the drops of water on the MRG cam and a reported base temp of 38 degrees, I think that tells you all you need to know. I think they did get a an inch or two on the front end.

Strat
03-05-2008, 02:06 PM
There has been a small amount of mixish stuff since I got up at 9 this morning but really nothing damaging. Might be a little crusty from the overnight stuff, but I can't really speak to it. I don't think we lost much of anything (except the powdery freshness).

noski
03-05-2008, 02:10 PM
I can only say that driving down today at 7am from 1750' was like driving on beach sand. It sounded like that too. There has been a mix of rain/sleet all day at 800'. I can't tell what it's doing at upper elevations.

HowieT2
03-05-2008, 02:12 PM
The radar is showing mixed precip all the way up into Canada.

Pray for Friday night.

ski_resort_observer
03-05-2008, 05:45 PM
If you had proper clothing the snow on the upper mountain was soft and smooth, alittle wet on the lower mountain. Plenty of coverage.

Go Figure
03-05-2008, 08:09 PM
5am sleet 1.5 -2" 8am light rain 9:30 -1:00pm nothing much ,even some sun.1:00 pm -4:pm dust /sun /light rain/nothing.
During preceeding temps in the mid 30's.
4:00pm -now dropping temps NO precip. currently 24 degrees

Surface is rock hard and You can walk on the sloppy sleet of 3 hours ago without sinking.

Net gain of 2" +- for this event.

madhavok
03-06-2008, 02:03 AM
Just got up here. This morning's snow / sleet is now indeed rock hard. My trucks tires don't even sink in at all. Bummer...

Lostone
03-06-2008, 10:12 PM
So the answer was that the groomed trails skied great! Most of the non-groomed... not so much. :?

Exceptions were some of the south facing. Morning Star, in the morning... not so much. But I heard it was really sweet in the afternoon. I wasn't there, but it was a reliable source.

Heard Castlerock was great in the morning. I was there in the afternoon and think I was about an hour late. Left hand side (in the sun) was still great, but going into the shade, my skis would sometimes bounce away. You could see that part of the trail had just gone into the shade, and a short time ago, was as nice as the left side.

All in all, bluebird skies, sunny and warm, and plenty of good skiing to be had. :D

skiladi
03-07-2008, 02:23 PM
So the answer was that the groomed trails skied great! Most of the non-groomed... not so much. :?

Exceptions were some of the south facing. Morning Star, in the morning... not so much. But I heard it was really sweet in the afternoon. I wasn't there, but it was a reliable source.

Heard Castlerock was great in the morning. I was there in the afternoon and think I was about an hour late. Left hand side (in the sun) was still great, but going into the shade, my skis would sometimes bounce away. You could see that part of the trail had just gone into the shade, and a short time ago, was as nice as the left side.

All in all, bluebird skies, sunny and warm, and plenty of good skiing to be had. :D

Wednesday morning 9a.m. to 11 was sweet. Like buttah! I was in Eden and some off-piste woods and it was awesome and no one else was in there. :shock: But after the r*%n it turned to glue. Yesterday southfaces were sweet. Best run for me was lower FIS. And then I would say CRRun to Bailout.

madhavok
03-07-2008, 08:00 PM
Snowing right now... hope this keeps up.

shadyjay
03-07-2008, 11:11 PM
Was out on Thursday at ME for 3 hours and Friday at LP for about 4 hours. Thursday, ME was hard in the morning, but by noon, things softened up nicely. Still excellent coverage. Friday, most of the runs were good coverage and it was soft snow right from the starting gate. However, some "spots" were appearing on the North Lynx runs plus on Sleeper Chutes. We need a good dump of March snow to cover up these temporary mistakes.

The snow was nice and soft but it was firmer on some other runs. A great day for riding under bluebird skies!