PDA

View Full Version : Slidebrook bus ettiquite

arc1
03-03-2008, 01:04 PM
On the subject of kids in Slidebrook:

Saturday I was waiting for the bus, and a big group of blazers came out and the leader yelled out to the large crowd to let the kids on first. While I'm all for women and chidren first, seems to be the Mad Bus is not affiliated with the ski school and I shouldn't have to wait for another bus if I was down well before them. See this with the Guides too and that chaps me even more.

skiladi
03-03-2008, 02:04 PM
On the subject of kids in Slidebrook:

Saturday I was waiting for the bus, and a big group of blazers came out and the leader yelled out to the large crowd to let the kids on first. While I'm all for women and chidren first, seems to be the Mad Bus is not affiliated with the ski school and I shouldn't have to wait for another bus if I was down well before them. See this with the Guides too and that chaps me even more.

It is my understanding that the resort pays somewhere around $70k for the mad bus to operate at their bequest. There are other businesses that do pay a share also. If you have not paid for a tour or are not in an organized program you will be asked to allow these patrons first serve.
I have been at the SB stop when grown men have pushed their way forward when children were waiting ahead of them. When I protested I was told " No one told them to bring their kids in there " Major JERK! And that's the nicest word I can think of.

Treeskier
03-03-2008, 02:14 PM
I know that the Outback guided tours have the right to load the bus first. It was in one of the orginal agreements with the bus. They can even call in a special bus. But as for Blazers not sure of the their rights. I do know at Powder MT they have an outback area with bus service and at the bus stop sign and line form. The line deturmins who loads the bus first, and if your at the back you may need to wait till the next bus.

Funny now at the moment with such great snow we have these new issues. In many ways I am glad to have these issue over ice or lack of snow :)

madhavok
03-03-2008, 02:36 PM
We’re talking about a bus ride not a sinking ship, right?
People who have been waiting deserve to get on the bus first, that’s a common courtesy everyone should have.

skituner8
03-03-2008, 03:47 PM
first come first serve. seems pretty simple rite!

Yard Sale
03-03-2008, 03:54 PM

Yes, except for if some one pays for something that includes a particular privlege such as guided ski tours, ski/board lessons and Blazers that get preference at the lift corrals and apparently the madbus. It is just the way it is.

skituner8
03-03-2008, 04:22 PM
also not a big fan of blazer groups.last i knew lessons did not include preferental treatment on public transportation that is available for everyone

atkinson
03-03-2008, 04:29 PM
Blazer groups are the future of skiing and riding. Seasonal program folks who are in Slide Brook are on an official guided tour and have preference at the bus. How many times has anybody actually had to wait for another bus because of them?

As for the nice rules, I have never seen first come first serve in action. It's always been first at the door first on the bus, no matter when you showed up. Luckily, the buses are usually big enough. The number of high traffic days are relatively small and there is always the option to go to Mount Ellen, if you don't want to wait.

BTW, this is the only resort on the East Coast that even offers a free bus service to backcountry runs. Everywhere else is hitch-hiking or car stash, so how about a little love for the extra help from the Bush?

John

p.s. We've got one of the biggest snowpack in 130 years and people still have to find things to complain about. Go make some turns!

boze
03-03-2008, 04:31 PM
I know that the Outback guided tours have the right to load the bus first. It was in one of the orginal agreements with the bus. They can even call in a special bus. But as for Blazers not sure of the their rights. I do know at Powder MT they have an outback area with bus service and at the bus stop sign and line form. The line deturmins who loads the bus first, and if your at the back you may need to wait till the next bus.

Funny now at the moment with such great snow we have these new issues. In many ways I am glad to have these issue over ice or lack of snow :)

I've given up my seat; have been the last one to squeeze aboard; and have arranged pick-ups with my spouse while filling our car with as many as we can...so I've seen this little drama play out from many angles, other than being on a Outback tour (at least not yet). And I outgrew the Blazers program 25-30 yrs ago.

That being said, any organized group such as the Guided Tours who have a contractual right to arrange an extra bus should coordinate with the Mad Bus & exercise that right, so to avoid the issue of making the first come/first served folks wait needlessly. Other organized groups that make regular trips into Slidebrook should be courteous and do the same...else they should not expect a similar level of courteousness as they ask to 'cut the line' and make others wait.

Further, I doubt SB earmarks its Mad Bus payment to prioritize service given to a specific group, such as Blazers. Any ticketed skier is a paying customer, and that would imply hidden or otherwise undeclared tiers (and terms) of service. I'm no lawyer but that's not fair. Period. Not to mention generating confusion and ill-will.

Notwithstanding the so-stated 'right' of the Outback Guided Tour folk, I doubt there's any fine print stating preferential treatment for transport that's subsidized by a combination of SB AND local merchants AND possibly tax dollars. Just because you pay a premium for an organized outing does not mean you should get prioritized seating on a shared/community resource. The program organizer should arrange for that extra transport for its paying customers, and not force a second-class citizen status on others who have been waiting.

Mostly I agree with the sentiment that this is a nice issue to have ie, we are skiing/riding/enjoying Slidebrook.

madhavok
03-03-2008, 04:56 PM

Yes, except for if some one pays for something that includes a particular privlege such as guided ski tours, ski/board lessons and Blazers that get preference at the lift corrals and apparently the madbus. It is just the way it is.

Yes except for the fact the mad bus isn't a privately owned and operated chair lift, which you need to pay for. The Mad Bus is a free transportation service to the community. Besides I’ve never seen preferred treatment at any of the other pickup locations so don’t expect it at Slidebrook. Not to mention I am not even sure it’s an official bus stop, I think it’s more the bus picking you up anywhere along the route as long as it is a safe place to stop.

You know there is a huge difference between waiting 10 seconds for the next chair and waiting 30 minutes for the next bus and I don’t care about some clause in an agreement. Good people have common courtesy, and in this case that’s first come first serve.

arc1
03-03-2008, 05:41 PM
Blazer groups are the future of skiing and riding. Seasonal program folks who are in Slide Brook are on an official guided tour and have preference at the bus. How many times has anybody actually had to wait for another bus because of them?

As for the nice rules, I have never seen first come first serve in action. It's always been first at the door first on the bus, no matter when you showed up. Luckily, the buses are usually big enough. The number of high traffic days are relatively small and there is always the option to go to Mount Ellen, if you don't want to wait.

BTW, this is the only resort on the East Coast that even offers a free bus service to backcountry runs. Everywhere else is hitch-hiking or car stash, so how about a little love for the extra help from the Bush?

John

p.s. We've got one of the biggest snowpack in 130 years and people still have to find things to complain about. Go make some turns!

Actually, I generally do see most people respect the first come first served "nice rule". The interesting thing is that the people I see who most often cut are the FOG's (friends of the Guides). I'm all for the kids going in, but sometimes wonder if the blazers could time it to keep the numbers sane. I understand the time constraints with lunch schedules and all, but there have been some really big groups of blazers and coaches.

ski_resort_observer
03-03-2008, 07:29 PM
I think this is a sticky wicket that as Slide Brook gets more popular it will require some new thinking. Once, this season I was on the LP/ME shuttle(the largest sized bus in the Mad Bus stable is used BTW) on a busy Sat and since the bus was pretty full with folks going from ME to LP so not all the folks at the Slide Brook trailhead were able to get on and would have to wait for the next loop. I was very dismayed at what I witnessed regarding who got on the bus and who didn't.

HowieT2
03-03-2008, 08:08 PM

Yes except for the fact the mad bus isn't a privately owned and operated chair lift, which you need to pay for. The Mad Bus is a free transportation service to the community. Besides I’ve never seen preferred treatment at any of the other pickup locations so don’t expect it at Slidebrook. Not to mention I am not even sure it’s an official bus stop, I think it’s more the bus picking you up anywhere along the route as long as it is a safe place to stop.

You know there is a huge difference between waiting 10 seconds for the next chair and waiting 30 minutes for the next bus and I don’t care about some clause in an agreement. Good people have common courtesy, and in this case that’s first come first serve.

Good people have common courtesy to let an instructor and 5-8 little children he is responsible for, onto the bus. Even if you don't care about showing the kids any courtesy, have some compassion for the instructor. I certainly wouldn't want to be stuck with a bunch of tired, hungry and bored kids on the side of the road waiting for the next bus. I would hope an adult would be a little better equipped on the off chance one doesn't get on the bus, then a group of 8 year olds.

The only reason the bus is free is because the mountain pays for it. You think slidebrook gnomes pay for the service? The blazers pay over and above their season passes for the program. Furthermore, the blazers get picked up at LP at 3 so they're not even an issue after about 2:30.

freeheel_skier
03-03-2008, 08:36 PM
Why not just have a Blazer/Outback tour Shuttle van? Have it do loops for those who pay $$$ for the tour or program? It is a sanctioned shuttle for the patrons/guides and instructiors. I say forget about the Mad Bus stopping @ the SB trail head. Everyone else hitch, walk or call someone for a lift! Make both sides of German flatts a no parking zone.....

Is this too extreme or far fetched?

Now I am with JA....shut up and make some turns! Or better yet EARN THEM! :wink:

Tin Woodsman
03-03-2008, 09:34 PM

By this logic, it would be OK for a SB skier to get on the bus at any stop on the line instead of someone in town just visiting relatives, or skiing MRG perhaps. Doesn't seem to make much sense to me. I think the contribution SB makes is to the system, not for that particular stop along the way.

Tin Woodsman
03-03-2008, 09:36 PM

John

The bus ride back to Stowe from the Matterhorn after skiing the Bruce trail says hi.

atkinson
03-03-2008, 10:42 PM
Sorry for the misinformation. The Couloir Du Bar also has bus service. And about four times the runout as Slide Brook.

John

noski
03-04-2008, 08:56 AM

By this logic, it would be OK for a SB skier to get on the bus at any stop on the line instead of someone in town just visiting relatives, or skiing MRG perhaps. Doesn't seem to make much sense to me. I think the contribution SB makes is to the system, not for that particular stop along the way.

Madbus: 101
Several years ago, Sugarbush made the decision to explore using its transportation dollars spent on a 'closed system' (mountain run, owned, served) as a 'local match' toward a public transportation system that would serve not only the mountain, but the greater community. After much work from the local transit advisory council, we were able to secure state/fed funds, buy buses (titled to the chamber) and launch a sysstem that has offered various levels of service. Some years we have run a summer service, most years not. It's about money and ridership.

So Sugarbush, along with a handful of local lodging properties on the route fund the local match of this seasonal system. The rest is state/fed funds. The system costs about $425k annually(seasonally) to run.

You can flag the bus down anywhere on the route (as far north as Kenyon's and as far south as Warren Village, as well as Access Rd/German Flats to ME) and if it is safe, the bus will stop for you. There is no charge to ride the bus.

My opinion, personally, is first come first served on the Slidebrook stop, with allowances for common courtesy. I don't believe anyone is 'entitled' to board the bus with any type of priority. Tour group or otherwise. That is my personal opinion. Am I allowed to have one of those here? :wink:

03-04-2008, 09:46 AM
The bus ride back to Stowe from the Matterhorn after skiing the Bruce trail says hi..

Hmmmm, one less person on the Mad Bus from Slidebrook.
I'll take that spot!
:D

Tin Woodsman
03-04-2008, 09:56 AM
The bus ride back to Stowe from the Matterhorn after skiing the Bruce trail says hi..

Hmmmm, one less person on the Mad Bus from Slidebrook.
I'll take that spot!
:D

No thanks. I still prefer Slidebrook - you'll have to wait for the next bus. :D

castlerock
03-04-2008, 11:43 AM
Madbus: 101
So Sugarbush, along with a handful of local lodging properties on the route fund the local match of this seasonal system. The rest is state/fed funds. The system costs about $425k annually(seasonally) to run.

Based on this, as a Sugarbush Village condo owner (Castlerock, hence the screen name), with a village condo bus route stop, at my property (Castlerock/Paradise stop), I am billed quarterly by Sugarbush for roads, water, sewer and services.

Am I correct in assuming that part of what I pay to Sugarbush underwrites Sugarbush's contribution to this fund?

noski
03-04-2008, 11:52 AM
Am I correct in assuming that part of what I pay to Sugarbush underwrites Sugarbush's contribution to this fund?

I cannot answer that for sure. Honestly, I would guess not- though I suppose some small portion could be allocated to Madbus funding. I really, really want to outreach to the condo associations for some sort of contribution on an annual basis. The lodgings properties and Sugarbush are bearing the cost of the local match at this point. Again, just my best attempt at an answer.

castlerock
03-04-2008, 12:03 PM
I cannot answer that for sure. Honestly, I would guess not- though I suppose some small portion could be allocated to Madbus funding. I really, really want to outreach to the condo associations for some sort of contribution on an annual basis. The lodgings properties and Sugarbush are bearing the cost of the local match at this point. Again, just my best attempt at an answer.

Based on what we pay I would assume that we do! (I'm a complainer at heart)

But a reality is, if Sugarbush didn't have the Madbus, Imagine how big the parking lot would have to be with the condo owners driving to the hill.

noski
03-04-2008, 12:05 PM

Based on what we pay I would assume that we do! (I'm a complainer at heart)

But a reality is, if Sugarbush didn't have the Madbus, Imagine how big the parking lot would have to be with the condo owners driving to the hill. In the winter months we average over 55,000 rides. It will be interesting to see how the numbers pan out this season.

slaw
03-04-2008, 12:27 PM
How many true ski on/ski off condo spots are there? Not many right? C Rock, South Village ? Most include some walking. Maybe that is part of what makes the mountian feel like it does. Kind of like condos on a golf course.

noski
03-04-2008, 12:29 PM
You are right, there are few. That is because the (a) the development goes out, not up, and (b) our mountain goes up, not out! :)

slaw
03-04-2008, 12:33 PM
Till somebody figures how to throw up a Snow creek looking complex up Cat's Paw!! Hope not. Actually, on second thought. I'll take one! Dreaming.

castlerock
03-04-2008, 12:40 PM
How many true ski on/ski off condo spots are there? Not many right? C Rock, South Village ? Most include some walking. Maybe that is part of what makes the mountian feel like it does. Kind of like condos on a golf course.

At South not too many. Snow Creek and Mountainside, some South Village. Many South Village folks will ski on and off, after using a car to get some vertical above the base. Other "walk to's" would include, Castlerock, Center Village. After that, there is a ton of others that almost exclusively use the bus. North Lynx, Paradise, Summit, Glades, plus the ones off the mountain, Club Sugarbush and Southface.

slaw
03-04-2008, 12:53 PM
The SV crowd seems much softer than those hardcore CR shredders!

Yard Sale
03-04-2008, 12:58 PM
The SV crowd seems much softer than those hardcore CR shredders!

The more accepted term is "Less Hard".

jkvt
03-04-2008, 02:54 PM
I just have to laugh...this is the biggest bunch of whinny ass "back country" skiers I have ever encountered. What happened to the good old days when you had to walk, hitch or plan ahead to get back to the lodge if you dared to ski out-of-bounds. You people have it so damn good that you just don't seem to know what to whine about.

And I am not sure some of you get it...but you do realize that when you complain about little kids getting on the bus in front of you...no matter what the situation...there is no way to sound like you're right. It is a pissing into the wind situation...you might feel relieved but you are still covered in piss at the end.

That said. I love the MadBus and the only thing I wish is that they would run year around (like they were originally sanctioned to do) so that more people would use them.

jkvt

Crocker
03-05-2008, 10:52 AM
Right on!

MntMan4Bush
03-05-2008, 11:03 AM
Guess what. Kids that learn that they can push their way onto a bus ahead of everyone else who have been waiting become adults who think it's alright. Any harm in teaching a kid manners and patience at a young age??? My guess is that those people who push themselves ahead of everyone else now were once kids who got to because their parents never stepped up to teach them right and wrong. Just me whining some more I guess. Whine. Whine. Whine. When my opinion differs from yours its just whine whine whine. :lol: Cracks me up. Step in line. The complacency booth is over there.

HowieT2
03-05-2008, 11:19 AM
Guess what. Kids that learn that they can push their way onto a bus ahead of everyone else who have been waiting become adults who think it's alright. Any harm in teaching a kid manners and patience at a young age??? My guess is that those people who push themselves ahead of everyone else now were once kids who got to because their parents never stepped up to teach them right and wrong. Just me whining some more I guess. Whine. Whine. Whine. When my opinion differs from yours its just whine whine whine. :lol: Cracks me up. Step in line. The complacency booth is over there.

I don't think anyone was referring to kids pushing their way onto the bus, but groups of blazers who are being shepherded by their instructor and whether the latter should be given some priority and courtesy. I would agree that the former deserve 'nothing more than a polite lesson on etiquette and patience. However, for reasons previously mentioned, I would step aside for a group of blazers.

jkvt
03-05-2008, 12:48 PM

I don't think anyone was referring to kids pushing their way onto the bus, but groups of blazers who are being shepherded by their instructor and whether the latter should be given some priority and courtesy. I would agree that the former deserve 'nothing more than a polite lesson on etiquette and patience. However, for reasons previously mentioned, I would step aside for a group of blazers.

Yes (exactly) sorry if that was not clear in my post. As for the whining I was referring to was not that it was a differing opinion, which I actually enjoy because if we all had the same opinion it would be a really dull world, the whining comes from the whole plethora of comments from lots of people (hardly focusing one just one) on when and how the bus should pick people up who take it upon themselves to ski OB. Having spent years of hiking to earn my turns and planning ahead by parking cars everywhere along roads to get back to civilization I do think that some of the comments qualified as whining (JMHO). You finish a great run of fantastic turns in a pristine and beautiful surrounding...chill out...crack a beer or two, smoke a J or whatever and reflect on just how friggin amazing it is to be here and now and be psyched that you don't have to strap on snowshoes and hike back to the top for your second run.

JMHO - YMMV

jkvt

MntMan4Bush
03-05-2008, 01:38 PM
I appreciate that you are being nostalgic about older days. If we just focused on what thing used to be like we'd still be driving a manual transmission ford fairmont station wagon with rusted out sides because it was better then the horse and buggy and listening to cassette tapes because rocking out to AC/DC on tape was so much better then 8-track. Not to bust your chops or anything, but let's not get all caught in "modern" technology such as buses and public transportation. The fact is they're here and we should act with a certain decorum when dealing with them. I think pretty much international standard is first in, first out. (This concept by the way is completely foreign in the Near and Middle East where general pushing and shoving in any line is fully acceptable and in practice. Be warned)

In any case I digress. What is being talked about is why does one group get priority over another on a publicly funded bus. If you just came down and couldn't get on the bus it's a negligible difference (you only have to wait 30 minutes), but if you didn't make that bus and got bumped from the next one we're talking a decent amount of time not making turns. Let's forget about the fact that before there were combustible engines people would walk up hill both ways to get their turns in. Now if the argument is that tour groups and Blazers (or any other group for that matter) pays more then what about me? I have an all Mountain 7 Season Pass. I pay at least as much as the blazers do and certainly more then a guided tour at $65 a day. In fact I probably come up well more then the people doing the tour and drop some considerable coin into the CR pub and Timbers. So if we're talking about some people spending more then others we are probably not looking at the whole picture. You can also add in those people who have Sugarbush Condos and in some way subsidize the bus themselves through condo fees, etc. All that being said even though I may spend more then some Joey in a given season it doesn't give me the right to get on the bus ahead of them if they were there first. Now I'm not suggesting we act like animals here. If its a freezing cold day and there's some unhappy kids scampering about it's up to the individuals to make the decision whether it makes sense to be a decent human being or not. Some people might surprise you. :wink: It shouldn't be a given though because we all pay in some way and all deserve the privilege of a fair and equal service.

That's all just my humble opinion as well. Call it whining if you will, but hey it's my observation. Am I happy to have the bus at all. Sure am, but I'm certainly not happy with certain individuals getting special treatment over others. Everyone should learn patience and common courtesy and practice oith whenever possible.

HowieT2
03-05-2008, 02:10 PM
I appreciate that you are being nostalgic about older days. If we just focused on what thing used to be like we'd still be driving a manual transmission ford fairmont station wagon with rusted out sides because it was better then the horse and buggy and listening to cassette tapes because rocking out to AC/DC on tape was so much better then 8-track. Not to bust your chops or anything, but let's not get all caught in "modern" technology such as buses and public transportation. The fact is they're here and we should act with a certain decorum when dealing with them. I think pretty much international standard is first in, first out. (This concept by the way is completely foreign in the Near and Middle East where general pushing and shoving in any line is fully acceptable and in practice. Be warned)

In any case I digress. What is being talked about is why does one group get priority over another on a publicly funded bus. If you just came down and couldn't get on the bus it's a negligible difference (you only have to wait 30 minutes), but if you didn't make that bus and got bumped from the next one we're talking a decent amount of time not making turns. Let's forget about the fact that before there were combustible engines people would walk up hill both ways to get their turns in. Now if the argument is that tour groups and Blazers (or any other group for that matter) pays more then what about me? I have an all Mountain 7 Season Pass. I pay at least as much as the blazers do and certainly more then a guided tour at $65 a day. In fact I probably come up well more then the people doing the tour and drop some considerable coin into the CR pub and Timbers. So if we're talking about some people spending more then others we are probably not looking at the whole picture. You can also add in those people who have Sugarbush Condos and in some way subsidize the bus themselves through condo fees, etc. All that being said even though I may spend more then some Joey in a given season it doesn't give me the right to get on the bus ahead of them if they were there first. Now I'm not suggesting we act like animals here. If its a freezing cold day and there's some unhappy kids scampering about it's up to the individuals to make the decision whether it makes sense to be a decent human being or not. Some people might surprise you. :wink: It shouldn't be a given though because we all pay in some way and all deserve the privilege of a fair and equal service.

That's all just my humble opinion as well. Call it whining if you will, but hey it's my observation. Am I happy to have the bus at all. Sure am, but I'm certainly not happy with certain individuals getting special treatment over others. Everyone should learn patience and common courtesy and practice oith whenever possible.

I think we are having a difference over nomenclature. I, for one, was not arguing that the blazer groups should have some contractual/constitutional priority over someone waiting ahead of them. Although you should know that they pay a significant amount over and above their season passes. The way I see it, it is simply a matter of courtesy and a recognition that as adults we are better equipped to wait for the next bus then a bunch of kids and their instructor. Maybe it's because I have a 7 year old female blazer and I do not envy the responsibility her instructor has. I have a hard enough time keeping her in line, I can only imagine how it is dealing with 5 of them. Being stuck with the kids on the side of the road would be a nightmare.
Would it be legal to send the Sugar shuttle to pick up the blazer/guide groups from German Flats???
But isn't this much ado about 'nothing? How often has anyone experienced a situation where they didn't get on a bus because a blazer group cut them in line.
Also, if you are in such a rush to get more skiing in, perhaps slidebrook is not the best idea. When I want to do laps of wood skiing I hit the HG or CR lifts.

Yard Sale
03-05-2008, 03:00 PM
This debate is ridiculous. The FCC licensing guy made more sense. All Mountain 7 has no bearing on the Madbus. Paying clients ie: Guided Tours, Balzers etc. receive preferential treatment over non-paying. The Madbus is not totally publicly funded. It is subsidized by the Bush. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I can't take this anymore. If my wife calls, I'll be in the whiskey thread trying to unwind. :P

Plowboy
03-05-2008, 03:11 PM
Also, if you are in such a rush to get more skiing in, perhaps slidebrook is not the best idea. When I want to do laps of wood skiing I hit the HG or CR lifts.

:idea: :idea: :idea:

MntMan4Bush
03-05-2008, 03:41 PM
So as an All Mountain 7 Season Pass holder I'm not a paying customer? If the Bush subsidizes the Bus where exactly do you think they get some of their funding to do so? It's all income for the mountain. If my money is not used to help fund the bus (and I mean my season pass money, taxes I pay in the town, etc) and the bus is just for Blazers and Guided Tours then slap a sign on that bad boy that says so and I'm fine with it. Otherwise I don't see how this is a ridiculous argument but I appreciate you "adding" to the conversation. No where in the Blazers description does it say "Private Use of Bus" or "Preferential treatment over other paying second class citizens". Perhaps I missed it though and it's in the fine print. Maybe I just need a whiskey myself.

As for where I ski. I appreciate the tip, but I'm aware of the other woods on the mountain. If I choose to ski the Brook I dedicate a certain amount of time and make that commitment based on several factors. One of which is not will I get pushed aside in line at the bottom and end up waiting an hour to get on the bus. The extra wait time is what I'm concerned with, but I guess my time isn't valuable or count as much as others. That's fine just so long as you tell me ahead of time. It's a perfectly good argument you have.

I don't have kids so I have no idea what it's like to have to wait with a group of 7 year olds on the side of a road. I'll give you that and I'll sympathize with you for just so long. However if you don't think the kids can wait just like everyone else then don't take them back there. Patience is a lesson we all need to learn. If there's a couple kids waiting at the bottom that aren't blazers do they get shoved aside too in place of the "special" privileged kids? Or is it OK for them to have to wait and deal with it like everyone else. As I said I'm all for doing a good deed and letting the kids hop on, but let it be a choice. There's no reason they should barge ahead to the front of the line. I'd put a fair wager on the fact that some of those kids are the same ones who think it's OK to shove to the front of a ski line because they didn't feel like waiting. Nice lesson learned. No one else matters but me.

God do I need some snow right now. (And perhaps I'll join you for a double shot Yard.)

Yard Sale
03-05-2008, 04:00 PM
So as an All Mountain 7 Season Pass holder I'm not a paying customer? If the Bush subsidizes the Bus where exactly do you think they get some of their funding to do so? It's all income for the mountain. If my money is not used to help fund the bus (and I mean my season pass money, taxes I pay in the town, etc) and the bus is just for Blazers and Guided Tours then slap a sign on that bad boy that says so and I'm fine with it. Otherwise I don't see how this is a ridiculous argument but I appreciate you "adding" to the conversation. No where in the Blazers description does it say "Private Use of Bus" or "Preferential treatment over other paying second class citizens". Perhaps I missed it though and it's in the fine print. Maybe I just need a whiskey myself.

As for where I ski. I appreciate the tip, but I'm aware of the other woods on the mountain. If I choose to ski the Brook I dedicate a certain amount of time and make that commitment based on several factors. One of which is not will I get pushed aside in line at the bottom and end up waiting an hour to get on the bus. The extra wait time is what I'm concerned with, but I guess my time isn't valuable or count as much as others. That's fine just so long as you tell me ahead of time. It's a perfectly good argument you have.

I don't have kids so I have no idea what it's like to have to wait with a group of 7 year olds on the side of a road. I'll give you that and I'll sympathize with you for just so long. However if you don't think the kids can wait just like everyone else then don't take them back there. Patience is a lesson we all need to learn. If there's a couple kids waiting at the bottom that aren't blazers do they get shoved aside too in place of the "special" privileged kids? Or is it OK for them to have to wait and deal with it like everyone else. As I said I'm all for doing a good deed and letting the kids hop on, but let it be a choice. There's no reason they should barge ahead to the front of the line. I'd put a fair wager on the fact that some of those kids are the same ones who think it's OK to shove to the front of a ski line because they didn't feel like waiting. Nice lesson learned. No one else matters but me.

God do I need some snow right now. (And perhaps I'll join you for a double shot Yard.)

Agreed, more snow is the sure fire cure all for what ails ya. And well, on the other matter, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. But I wouldn't let that stand in the way of a cocktail or two. It would be a pleasure (Honestly no sarcasm) to have a shot or a beer with you and all the other ranters for that matter. . . . I mean posters. Perhaps, if there is some type of end of the year apres tilt. . . . . (End of the year still being way far away, of course)

jkvt
03-05-2008, 04:05 PM

hehehe, It was not a Ford, but a Dodge Dart ;-) And damn that thing was fine in the Tahoe snow. (well with the chains it was fine - and the couch sized back seat...ohhh my). Don't get me wrong, I do understand the frustration of being cut in on by a pack of ruggrats...if you have ever skied in Italy you really get a feeling for it and would think these kids angelic. One year, about a decade back now, one of our group, a Pro-Racer, got so frustrated that he smacked a couple of kids with his pole as they skied across his skis cutting him in line, I thought it was going to be over right there...but they just looked back said a few colorful things and kept on going-the adults in line didn't even bat an eye. I know he felt better but it didn't change a thing.

It sounds like the mountain just needs to put up a sign that spells out the "rules" if you want to call them that. At least that way it is in writing.

jkvt

freeheel_skier
03-05-2008, 04:27 PM
This debate is ridiculous. The FCC licensing guy made more sense. All Mountain 7 has no bearing on the Madbus. Paying clients ie: Guided Tours, Balzers etc. receive preferential treatment over non-paying. The Madbus is not totally publicly funded. It is subsidized by the Bush. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I can't take this anymore. If my wife calls, I'll be in the whiskey thread trying to unwind. :P

Right on! Bring back the FCC licensing debate! :lol: I hear the ice cubes clinking in the Wiskey discussion :D

Fourwide
03-05-2008, 05:19 PM
"It would be a pleasure (Honestly no sarcasm) to have a shot or a beer with you and all the other ranters for that matter. . . . I mean posters. Perhaps, if there is some type of end of the year apres tilt. . . . . (End of the year still being way far away, of course)"

Perhaps we could check with Tin Woodsman re. whether Castlerock Pub is large enough for this group?? :)

boze
03-05-2008, 05:24 PM
On days when the organized groups plan to hit Slidebrook - especially when its en masse - maybe THEY ought to be courteous enough to arrange their transport. Otherwise they should be prepared to wait like the rest of us.

Sure, if it's -10F I'd make a personal decision as to help a kid out. But I don't think we're debating the exceptional cases here.

IMHO, any instructor or guide taking a group into Slidebrook ought to be prepared to wait their group's turn to board. Otherwsie they should put some of those extra fees they charge to good use & secure their own transport. They like everyone else should recognize that skiing in the backcountry involves, among other things, some planning and patience.

And now, I'll take a double of whatever you're drinking :wink:

HowieT2
03-05-2008, 08:39 PM
How about a "nearing the end of the season" meeting at the mad bus stop. We can count the kids and enforce our own boarding rules while drinking whiskey (or in my case bourbon).
Seriously, though, we should have an apres ski meeting before it gets too late.

Tin Woodsman
03-06-2008, 11:04 AM
"It would be a pleasure (Honestly no sarcasm) to have a shot or a beer with you and all the other ranters for that matter. . . . I mean posters. Perhaps, if there is some type of end of the year apres tilt. . . . . (End of the year still being way far away, of course)"

Perhaps we could check with Tin Woodsman re. whether Castlerock Pub is large enough for this group?? :)
I'm Tin Woodsman, and I approve this message.

BTW, the re-opening of the Wunderbar and the announced plans for some sort of apres venue in the GSL pretty much bear out my point on this, no?

Fourwide
03-06-2008, 03:04 PM
That must be a question for Win? I personally prefer the Timbers apres-ski experience (although I do have a few suggestions for that...)

othripper
03-06-2008, 04:06 PM
Re-opening the Wunderbar? That's the best news I've heard all year. Sugarbush without a Wunderbar is like the valley without the tooth. Oh yeah, I forgot, that's been closed too.....

All we need now the Den to re-open.

TOS
03-12-2008, 06:15 PM
This topic kills me. I have been saying for years the valley is full of cranky old guys that feel they own the mountain.
I saw some guys bitching at ski school for taking kids through the Nastar course. The complainers didn't want to wait.
No wonder young people flee the valley and the MRV is dying. Crotchety grouches like you are the reason why.

Thank goodness for the big buses. They have been great.

ski_resort_observer
03-12-2008, 09:01 PM
Crotchety grouches like you are the reason why.

From the Beer thread:

I avoid Wolavers and Otter Creek for they are swill. Every bottle is an adventure. You never know what they are going to taste like: cabbage...

Cranky old guy about his beer! Not another one in the valley! "I have to laugh".

So TOS...exactly who is the crotchety grouche/cranky old guy your talking about. :wink:

MntMan4Bush
03-13-2008, 08:33 AM
:lol: Nothing like a crotchety young guy complainer complaining about crotchety old guy complainers. The cycle continues.

Perhaps if you get sour grapes about SRO's post you can wash it back with a nice seasonal Wolavers. I think the end of winter seasonal is a Wolavers Crotchety Cabbage Copper Ale. Us ole timers call it the Triple C and it goes well with prunes. :wink:

aejkb
03-13-2008, 03:16 PM
You want to complain?!! I've had these shoes for two weeks and already worn a hole right through them!

HowieT2
03-24-2008, 11:10 AM
FWIW-after missing the bus from slidebrook to ME on saturday, My group and about 5 others were lucky enough to get a ride on the sugar shuttle, which is much better then getting in a bus anyway.