PDA

View Full Version : VH chair and some poor decision making

madhavok
03-03-2008, 11:31 AM
Why is the Valley house chair closed for the rest of the season? I thought it was stated in an old thread (last year) that Valley House chair runs on Saturdays & holidays, but all other days would be kept ready to operate in case Bravo went down.....

Tin Woodsman
03-03-2008, 11:52 AM
Good question. The answer I heard from three different people/CB owners was that VH char failed inspection and is down for the remainder of the year. If this is true, it will be good to know whether they can reasonably expect to re-open it in future years until replaced but, either way, it's an unacceptable outcome. Sure could have come in handy Sunday morning when everything but GH and CR was on windhold to start off. Even after Bravo started up, the lines were nuts until after lunch. How does the mtn let this happen, especially in light of the inspection/software issues delaying things in December?

The other rookie move was the decision to close off all or most of BOTH Lower Snowball/Racers Edge and Spring Fling to the skiing public in favor of gates/racers. Those are without question the two most popular trails on that side of the hill and the only legitimate intermediate options to the skiers right of Murphy's Glade. How on Earth does the mountain make the decision to close these runs mostly or entirely on a busy March weekend? There really isn't much of an excuse for this. If the answer is "commitments to the racing programs", then you've got too many commitments - it's that simple. This sort of thing can work mid-week. Not on busy March weekends when you've received 3 feet of snow since Tuesday. I can't believe that a decision this poor and this antithetical to the skiing experience of the target demographic was made.

And then there were the gates set up on the bottom pitch below VH lodge for the kids. It was fun for them I'm sure, especially with Egan on the play by play, but with the lines for Bravo absolutely nuts, it didn't make sense - there was no room there at all. Of course, had the VH double been running, perhaps there would have been more room.....

I'm a big fan of Summit Ventures and what they are doing for the mountain, the valley and everything in between. But these issues are real disappointments relative to the standards they surely aspire to and, more importantly, to what SB customers should expect. It's not good enough to be in the lift maze directing traffic. It's just not.

madhavok
03-03-2008, 12:04 PM
Tin, I was going to bring this up, but my ski day ended so great on Sunday I actually forgot about it.

I was very ticked off that both spring fling & lower snowball were closed to the public. Especially since I had guests up Sunday (1st time to SB) that only ski cruisers. I don't like it, but if Sugarbush closes one OK, but both of them? That was a bad decision.

HowieT2
03-03-2008, 12:36 PM
Good question. The answer I heard from three different people/CB owners was that VH char failed inspection and is down for the remainder of the year. If this is true, it will be good to know whether they can reasonably expect to re-open it in future years until replaced but, either way, it's an unacceptable outcome. Sure could have come in handy Sunday morning when everything but GH and CR was on windhold to start off. Even after Bravo started up, the lines were nuts until after lunch. How does the mtn let this happen, especially in light of the inspection/software issues delaying things in December?

The other rookie move was the decision to close off all or most of BOTH Lower Snowball/Racers Edge and Spring Fling to the skiing public in favor of gates/racers. Those are without question the two most popular trails on that side of the hill and the only legitimate intermediate options to the skiers right of Murphy's Glade. How on Earth does the mountain make the decision to close these runs mostly or entirely on a busy March weekend? There really isn't much of an excuse for this. If the answer is "commitments to the racing programs", then you've got too many commitments - it's that simple. This sort of thing can work mid-week. Not on busy March weekends when you've received 3 feet of snow since Tuesday. I can't believe that a decision this poor and this antithetical to the skiing experience of the target demographic was made.

And then there were the gates set up on the bottom pitch below VH lodge for the kids. It was fun for them I'm sure, especially with Egan on the play by play, but with the lines for Bravo absolutely nuts, it didn't make sense - there was no room there at all. Of course, had the VH double been running, perhaps there would have been more room.....

I'm a big fan of Summit Ventures and what they are doing for the mountain, the valley and everything in between. But these issues are real disappointments relative to the standards they surely aspire to and, more importantly, to what SB customers should expect. It's not good enough to be in the lift maze directing traffic. It's just not.

Agree about the VH lift. I had noticed previously that there were a number of broken chairs which were just being left like they were. On weekends/holidays it is vital especially when there are wind hold issues. It is also psychological warfare to be standing on a huge line at the Super Bravo while gazing wistfully at the dormant VH lift. I'm hoping that if it is, in fact, down for the rest of the season, that is a good sign that the replacement is actually going to happen.
However, I didn't think the kids bear race was that obtrusive. Can't kill the mtn for having something like that. Just bad timing with the way the lift situation worked out. Once the Valley House is no more, there will be room for stuff like that.

arc1
03-03-2008, 12:49 PM
I think the closure of the VH chair can be put down as 'budget hold". I don't doubt the mechanical issues, but I don't think that, especially given the time if season we're entering, SV will go to heroic measures to reopen this season.

The kids race is a time honored tradition that the kids love, not a big deal to traffic flow that had already ground to a halt.

Sunday was a PR disaster for the mtn, good thing it's been a good year so far. It was windy, but I gotta say I've never seen a mountain that goes to wind holds like this place.

Bring back the Spring Fling Triple!

HowieT2
03-03-2008, 01:11 PM
I think the closure of the VH chair can be put down as 'budget hold". I don't doubt the mechanical issues, but I don't think that, especially given the time if season we're entering, SV will go to heroic measures to reopen this season.

The kids race is a time honored tradition that the kids love, not a big deal to traffic flow that had already ground to a halt.

Sunday was a PR disaster for the mtn, good thing it's been a good year so far. It was windy, but I gotta say I've never seen a mountain that goes to wind holds like this place.

We've had this wind hold discussion before and my take is that there is no upside for the mtn to want to close lifts. It's not like it saves them any money. So if they put something on wind hold, there is no reason to suspect it is for any purpose other than safety. I was on the 4th chair on the Super Bravo at 8 AM sunday and got 3 rides before it went on wind hold. I can't quantify it, but it was windy as sh-t. On one run we headed for the woods off the bottom of organgrinder and the wind was so strong it nearly stopped us dead in our tracks. But it was fine in the trees. :twisted:

win
03-03-2008, 03:38 PM
This has nothing to do with budgets.

I guess none of you read the signs that were posted at Bravo and the Valley house. They said, "During our weekly inspection, lift maintenance discovered a pattern of concerns with the grips on the Valley House lift and have recommended that we take the lift out of service until a total evaluation has been made. It is unlikely that the flift will operate for the rest of the season." This decision was passed totally on safety considerations. As you know, the VH is one of our oldest lifts and while it has run well up to now and passed inspections, our crew has some concerns about chairs slipping, and they are not able to isolate the issue until they have the time to do a full evaluation which includes among other things a full rope inspection which requires an outside expert. We were only planning to run the VH on the weekends for the rest of the year and in April for the final days of skiing instead of Bravo, but it is unfortunate that we have this problem right now.

In order to keep our Spring Skiing going as long as we can through April we made more snow last week on the Valley Traverse as one exits the Bravo chair on the left, and we believe that this will keep the traverse skiable over to Snowball for the Spring. We can also push up snow from Murphy's where we made quite a bit and where depths now are good.

shadyjay
03-03-2008, 04:09 PM
While the wind delays on Sunday were an inconvenience, it did get me up to Castlerock (wanting to avoid the base), and when we got to the Gate House mob, we were in the back and the second Bravo started spinning, we were off! At least with both Gate House and Bravo spinning, lines are more negligible - it seems mobbed at first. Gate House is especially bad since not only is the entire general public trying to get on, but so is ski school and there was quite the line of them as well. Bravo seems to see less ski-schoolers and less families, so that line generally moves quick. C/R line was long, but that's to be expected - no complaints there. V/H would have been nice, but I did recall the sign I saw on Sat about it being down. More and more so do I miss Spring Fling, mainly since it was a quick way to do some quick runs with 'rarely a line. Bringing V/H down to the base adjacent to Bravo would/will help matters especially on those busy weekends. Given its current out of the way location, you're only going to pass it if coming down Mall/Twist, or any Bravo runs down to Coffee Run, and most folk generally head down Gondi anyway to the Bravo. Having 2 side-by-side on that side of the base will be adventageous. I think I can wait.

As far as I could tell, Snowball/Lower Snowball were open both Sat & Sun. Made it over there both days, one day via coming out from Eden and the other day coming down Lwr Snowball to Racer's. Spring Fling was definetely closed on Sunday, not a concern for me since I'm not a huge fan of that run. Moonshine and Twist were a lot more fun anyway.

ski_resort_observer
03-03-2008, 07:35 PM

:lol: If memory serves I think the lift was sold to some amusement park in Jersey.

win
03-03-2008, 08:56 PM
Maybe, but the Slug at ME was sold to Jay!

shadyjay
03-03-2008, 09:03 PM
Maybe, but the Slug at ME was sold to Jay!

I don't know a sole on earth who misses the Slug... I'm not sure what ASC was thinking when they put that thing in.
One of the best moves that Win and gang did was to replace it with the GMX-part deux.
Remember, when the Slug was there, it took longer to reach the bottom of Cliffs than it takes today to travel to the Glen House.
In my opinion, one of the best decisions ever!
And now that I've been to Castlerock, I can finally appreciate why the CR double was replaced with one of the same capacity/speed.
Good choice!

Tin Woodsman
03-03-2008, 09:29 PM
I'm pretty sure the Spring Fling triple was sold to an amusement park in PA, not NJ.

As for the Slug, I heard from someone who should know that the thought process was related to wanting to drop people off at the Slide Brook Express instead of "forcing" them to ski down from Glen House.

Anyway, presumably the VH issues can be resolved over the summer then. That would be good news if true. Closing off most/all of Spring Fling and Snowball on a busy March Sunday - not so good.

03-03-2008, 09:51 PM
Closing off most/all of Spring Fling and Snowball on a busy March Sunday - not so good.

Not to be antagonistic, there were 49 other blue square trails to ski on that day, despite the popularity of those two and there convenience for starting, racing, and finish areas.

BushMogulMaster
03-03-2008, 10:32 PM
I'm pretty sure the Spring Fling triple was sold to an amusement park in PA, not NJ.

As for the Slug, I heard from someone who should know that the thought process was related to wanting to drop people off at the Slide Brook Express instead of "forcing" them to ski down from Glen House.

Anyway, presumably the VH issues can be resolved over the summer then. That would be good news if true. Closing off most/all of Spring Fling and Snowball on a busy March Sunday - not so good.

Correct on the Spring Fling Triple. It is currently in operation at Knoebel's Grove Amusement Park, Pennsylvania.

Win -- was the VH haul rope replaced when the new Poma Alpha Series drive was installed? The chairs are replacements, installed in the 80's by Borvig. I can't imagine the grips are failing already??? Sounds more like an aging haul rope. Better for the lift to be down for the season, than to have a catastrophic failure accompanied by potential injury, don't you all agree? But the lift itself is tired. It is due to be replaced.

Without making any judgment of the prior decision to only run VH on a limited basis, I will say this: the worst thing for any kind of lift is to let it sit. Simple as that.

BushMogulMaster
03-03-2008, 10:40 PM
And here's a question. I'm not directing this specifically at arc1 (because I think I understand what he was getting at), but in general. Why is it that people automatically assume that any decision made that doesn't suit them simply MUST be for budgetary reasons? I've just never understood that.

Uh oh... Summit's on "windhold." Must be for money reasons. Oh no... the third stair going up to Bravo has a small chunk of ice on it, I guess they didn't want to pay someone to take care of it. Hmmm, Inverness is running awfully slow. Must be to save on the electric bill! Huh, no snowmaking on Brambles tonight. Guess they don't want to pay for it! Looks like they only groomed half of Cliffs. Guess they can't afford an extra hour of snowcat operation.

Not attacking anyone specifically, I just get frustrated as an "industry professional" when the fingers immediately point, and the accusation is immediately "budgetary."

Carry on.

BushMogulMaster
03-03-2008, 10:45 PM
And another thing.... :wink:

Windholds. There are these little things on detachable quads called RPDs, or Rope Position Detectors. They are magnetic sensors, designed to shut down the lift if the haul rope moves even a small amount out of a predetermined path in the grooves of the sheave train. The dynamic load that heavy wind creates on the haul rope will often trip these RPDs. If happens, maintenance will certainly have to assess the situation, and if the wind was enough to physically move the haul rope out of its predetermined path, that probably means that the lift ought to be shut down.

Most people don't think that wind can have much of an affect on a haul rope, because of its apparent small diameter. But consider the dynamic load that is applied to the whole length of the haul rope. It's enough to have quite an effect on both the position of the rope, and the tensioning system. Not to mention chair swing, which as we've found out before can have some devastating effects.

Not only trying to defend the Bush here, but trying to help you understand WHY lifts go on windhold. We just happen to get hit pretty hard with the prevailing winds blowing across the lines.

You know what the answer is, IMO? More surface lifts! :D

Tin Woodsman
03-03-2008, 11:33 PM
Closing off most/all of Spring Fling and Snowball on a busy March Sunday - not so good.

Not to be antagonistic, there were 49 other blue square trails to ski on that day, despite the popularity of those two and there convenience for starting, racing, and finish areas.

Great - then I'm sure you'll have no problem if Bravo is closed off for racers only on a busy winter weekend. Despite the popularity of that one, there are 15 other lifts for you to ride.

Sorry - that's a lousy excuse. The fact is that those two runs ARE popular. I'd venture to say they receive the majority of skier traffic out of all the runs East of Murphy's Glade and likely represent 2 of the 5 most skied runs at LP. Regardless of their convenience for starting, racing and finish areas, I'm struggling to think of a good reason as to why SB would want to close them off to non-racers on a busy March weekend. Their attractive aspects as race trails should be harnessed on weekdays or, if on weekends, one at a time only. It's not that tough.

Hawk
03-04-2008, 08:24 AM
This particular race, the NE Masters Size Cup was scheduled in advance and the race people are coming from all over. It is a big event. There is no consideration for weather or crowds when scheduling a race and they close the trail for safety reasons. There was no way that SB could have foreseen the lift closings due to wind and mechanical. If all of the lifts were running we would not be discussing this, well except for Madhavok. He still would be mad over the trail closings.

Now if you look at it from the racers point of view and I spoke to a few of them on the lift, they were very pleased with how SB ran this event. That is very good PR because most of these people come from other mountains. I had no issues this weekend. I, 007 and a couple of other notable shady characters took advantage of the downed lift to ski up the pow that could only be accessed by hiking.

I will end by saying this. It is the opinion of the vast majority of people on this board that the bitch level is out of control. Constructive criticism is fine but the constant erroneous speculation and conspiracy theories are ridiculous. It is sad because it has caused several good people that have posted stoke and fun stuff to stop participating. I can only hope that they will come back once thing settle out.

That is all.....

Fourwide
03-04-2008, 08:52 AM
IMHO, Nastar should not be run simultaneously with a race on Snowball/Spring Fling. Those are very heavily-skied trails and the only practical LP lower-mountain blue alternative to crowded Gatehouse. Run Nastar in the afternoon, after the Snowball/Spring Fling race has ended.

Tin Woodsman
03-04-2008, 09:54 AM
IMHO, Nastar should not be run simultaneously with a race on Snowball/Spring Fling. Those are very heavily-skied trails and the only practical LP lower-mountain blue alternative to crowded Gatehouse. Run Nastar in the afternoon, after the Snowball/Spring Fling race has ended.

Quoted for truth. No one said cancel the scheduled race. Just don't close off both of those trails (or seriously restrict them) at the same time. If this race was scheduled so far in advance, there should have been plenty of time to consider the alternatives and impact on the 95% of paying customers who didn't participate.

I see a ton of stoke on this board and I see some bitching as well. Having too much of either would make it pretty boring.

MntMan4Bush
03-04-2008, 10:46 AM
Everything is relative. The "bitch" level may appear to be up because there was zero before. I like to see some criticism. Fire it up. If paying customers aren't happy then voice it. Why not? Win takes this all with a grain of salt and I'm sure professionally and not personally. Disregards the outrageous and considers the plausible. This is one of the benefits of the forum. Open discussion. Not regulated discussion. If you want to see some complaining, bitching or otherwise mountain bashing try reading a Killington forum. Now those are some unhappy hombres. Fortunately because I don't ski that trash heap I don't care what goes on over there, but every now and again I like to take a peak and see how good we have it.

My thought on the chairs being down; was this something that could have been noticed in the off season and corrected before then? Truthfully I have no idea so I'm asking and not sarcastically. It's just with the software issues earlier this year that shut things down I'm curious about the maintenance that goes on in the off season. Don't get me wrong, the guys that handle mountain ops have a tough job and I think overall do pretty well. I've never done their job so I can't speak from an educated stance and criticize what they do (I'm sure it's not easy), but we've had some lift issues this year so it gets me wondering if perhaps they need more peeps or dare I say it.....yes......a larger budget?? The software upgrade seemed like it was being sent by carrier pigeon with how long it took to fix. The SBX went down one weekend and we were told it was due to safety reasons because of the lack of snow underfoot, but I was told that night by someone at the Bush that they were waiting on a part. Perhaps they were misinformed, but it got me curious. I think it was last year(or perhaps the year before) that North Ridge was down at the opening of the season because no one had trimmed the branches yet in the lift path. Something that perhaps could have been done a bit earlier. (My buddy actually saw the guys going up the lift with polearms to trim.)

BMM - Any chance you know if there are ways to mitigate wind issues? Obviously you can't completely get rid of them, but do loading practices in some way mitigate? For instance if you make sure that no singles ride up alone on a chair (or maybe you want less weight) or load every other chair can you run a lift safely at a reduced capacity? I have no idea. Just asking. Of course if there is no safe way to do it then the question stops here for me.

In any case I'm sure it will all be a moot point for me this weekend when skiing because I only care about this stuff during the week when I'm wishing I had some pow under foot. Until then I'll just sit back and wonder about what could be done to make things better and how Carrot Top ever got a gig to begin with. Seriously. How is that a household name? I swear if that guy had to depend on just comedy for his living how is he not in a gutter somewhere waiting to be hit by a street plow? I'd rather watch Al Sharpton and Betty White talk about economic stability in the Pacific Rim then hear his routine. He must be running a pyramid scheme or something to stay alive. Just one guy talking here though.......

Yard Sale
03-04-2008, 11:00 AM

Quoted for truth. No one said cancel the scheduled race. Just don't close off both of those trails (or seriously restrict them) at the same time. If this race was scheduled so far in advance, there should have been plenty of time to consider the alternatives and impact on the 95% of paying customers who didn't participate.

I see a ton of stoke on this board and I see some bitching as well. Having too much of either would make it pretty boring.

Here's some bitch:

The Nastar course being set up on Racer's Edge I think is new this year from last (At least on the weekends.). It does seem to be under utilized when it is up, dormant in fact. 4Wide seems to be on to something about sliding the Nastar to afternoon.

And here's some stoke from Roger Hill:

"Another major system to affect us late in the week with primarily snow, possibly a lot of it."

Fourwide
03-04-2008, 11:21 AM
I must say, however, that the action on the little strip on the skiers' right of Spring Fling that remains open while racing is held on both Racers' Edge and Spring Fling is some very exciting stuff! Pouring several beginner/intermediate skiers down that narrow chute--you could sell tickets!!

aejkb
03-04-2008, 01:13 PM
It seemed perplexing to me that a Senior race was held on the weekend--kind of like when the supermarket is filled with retirees on Saturdays, which is my day off; if they're retired (and though vigorous, most looked past retirement age) why not schedule the race on a Thursday or Friday? That being said I am not complaining. If an 80 year old wants to race, I say he gets precedent. Still, Sugarbush does not have a lot of cruisers other than Spring Fling and Snowball and closing them off on a weekend when you couldnt get up to the summits turned out to be a mistake.

Hawk
03-04-2008, 01:37 PM
It's not a seniors race, it's called the masters series and the skiers are 18 years to 80+. Here's a link to their site.

http://www.nemasters.org/ageclass.html

You know I do not race and I find it funny that I am defending these people. I guess that I tried taking the point of veiw of the other people on the hill. :wink:

Lostone
03-04-2008, 04:43 PM
Couple points:

1) Snowball was not closed at all this weekend. Spring Fling was totally closed on Sunday, but partially open on Saturday. The race on Racers' Edge was NASTAR. They normally do it on Spring Fling, but it was moved due to the previously scheduled masters race.

Snowball was partially closed Thursday and Friday for either racing or race training, connected with the Masters race. There was a way to get down, but it was a little ugly. That made the snow on Eden hold up just a little better. :wink:

B) I don't do NASTAR, but it is a nation-wide program, and is very popular. I read that many are saying that one should cancel the other, but the masters race draws people to NASTAR. And people doing well in NASTAR tend to try to get into training programs for racing, some of which might make it to the masters races.

III) These racing programs are money makers for mountains. They bring the race events and that draws others, as people that travel with the racers and those who are into the racing scene. Every mountain has them. They are short and long term income. They aren't every trail, and there is usually plenty of other skiing available for all abilities.

d) As mentioned above, the Valley House chair problems came up during a weekly inspection. They weren't noticed before, and the lift has been running regularly, when scheduled. I don't think anyone would be willing to be one of the ones in an incident where their safety was compromised, unnecessarily. The resort is unwilling to take that risk. When the problem was noticed, the lift operation was canceled pending a solution of the problem. The mountain was up-front about announcing the problem and the fact that it would be unlikely to be solved this season.

5) I don't think the bitch-level here is too high, in general. I think it is good to have a place where people can express their concerns and complaints. I think it is great that Win reads the concerns and explains his side of things. But sometimes you have to understand that your concerns have been heard, but the resort has decided other concerns trump your's.

BushMogulMaster
03-04-2008, 07:41 PM
My thought on the chairs being down; was this something that could have been noticed in the off season and corrected before then? Truthfully I have no idea so I'm asking and not sarcastically. It's just with the software issues earlier this year that shut things down I'm curious about the maintenance that goes on in the off season. Don't get me wrong, the guys that handle mountain ops have a tough job and I think overall do pretty well. I've never done their job so I can't speak from an educated stance and criticize what they do (I'm sure it's not easy), but we've had some lift issues this year so it gets me wondering if perhaps they need more peeps or dare I say it.....yes......a larger budget?? The software upgrade seemed like it was being sent by carrier pigeon with how long it took to fix. The SBX went down one weekend and we were told it was due to safety reasons because of the lack of snow underfoot, but I was told that night by someone at the Bush that they were waiting on a part. Perhaps they were misinformed, but it got me curious. I think it was last year(or perhaps the year before) that North Ridge was down at the opening of the season because no one had trimmed the branches yet in the lift path. Something that perhaps could have been done a bit earlier. (My buddy actually saw the guys going up the lift with polearms to trim.)

Some of those points are certainly legitimate concerns, and I can't speak directly to all of them. As for the North Ridge software problem, that was a very complex (and unexpected) situation, and the wait was due to the OEM not being available. There was nothing else lift maintenance could do but wait for them. And it also wasn't something that maintenance could have taken care of over the summer.

SBX can't run if there's not enough cover to get the snowcats and snowmobiles in, plain and simple. Regardless of the operational status of the lift itself, it can't turn with public until there's enough base. So maybe both parties were right in this case. Maybe there wasn't enough cover, and maybe they were also waiting on a part.

BMM - Any chance you know if there are ways to mitigate wind issues? Obviously you can't completely get rid of them, but do loading practices in some way mitigate? For instance if you make sure that no singles ride up alone on a chair (or maybe you want less weight) or load every other chair can you run a lift safely at a reduced capacity? I have no idea. Just asking. Of course if there is no safe way to do it then the question stops here for me.

Yep. Install more surface lifts, have skinnier lift lines, lower lift towers, etc. One simple way that seems counter-intuitive is to actually run the lift faster (if the concern is chair swing). Higher speed means more forward momentum of the chairs, and less of a tendency to swing side-to-side. But each and every situation is different, so without making drastic changes to the engineering of the lifts, you can't really mitigate the issue.

Tin Woodsman
03-04-2008, 08:27 PM
Couple points:

1) Snowball was not closed at all this weekend. Spring Fling was totally closed on Sunday, but partially open on Saturday. The race on Racers' Edge was NASTAR. They normally do it on Spring Fling, but it was moved due to the previously scheduled masters race.

Snowball was partially closed Thursday and Friday for either racing or race training, connected with the Masters race. There was a way to get down, but it was a little ugly. That made the snow on Eden hold up just a little better. :wink:
The configuration of Racer's Edge (which was mentioned) and Snowball as one continuous run renders this distinction irrelevant. Unless you made your way over to Cat's Meow (or whatever it's called), the only way down on Sunday was a narrow strip on Racer's Edge adjacent to the nearly abandoned NASTAR course. Heck, even when the race was LONG over at 3:00, they still had Spring Fling roped off - what gives?

B) I don't do NASTAR, but it is a nation-wide program, and is very popular. I read that many are saying that one should cancel the other, but the masters race draws people to NASTAR. And people doing well in NASTAR tend to try to get into training programs for racing, some of which might make it to the masters races.
Perhaps this makes sense in a broader fashion - that one feeds of the other and vice versa, over the course of time. But with respect tot he specific situation this weekend, that is irrelevant.

III) These racing programs are money makers for mountains. They bring the race events and that draws others, as people that travel with the racers and those who are into the racing scene. Every mountain has them. They are short and long term income. They aren't every trail, and there is usually plenty of other skiing available for all abilities.
You know what's also a money maker for the mountain? Intermediate skiers with their families who like cruisers. It sounds like you're saying that the mountain made a rather cynical decision that any monies earned from NASTAR on Sunday would be incremental to lift ticket revenues, whereas those people disappointed with the lack of access to these two critical cruisers would have already spent their money. If so, that would be the very definition of penny-wise, pound-foolish, to the extent that someone came away with a negative impression of SB as a result. No one here is saying cancel NASTAR writ large. Just cancel it on the days that Spring Fling is already closed for racing - how hard can that be?

d) As mentioned above, the Valley House chair problems came up during a weekly inspection. They weren't noticed before, and the lift has been running regularly, when scheduled. I don't think anyone would be willing to be one of the ones in an incident where their safety was compromised, unnecessarily. The resort is unwilling to take that risk. When the problem was noticed, the lift operation was canceled pending a solution of the problem. The mountain was up-front about announcing the problem and the fact that it would be unlikely to be solved this season.
They clearly made the right decision. It is unfortunate that this issue could not have been averted with a more aggressive internal maintenance and inspection program. If BMM knows what sort of damage can result from idling a chair, then mountain ops should know too and be prepared to deal with same.

5) I don't think the bitch-level here is too high, in general. I think it is good to have a place where people can express their concerns and complaints. I think it is great that Win reads the concerns and explains his side of things. But sometimes you have to understand that your concerns have been heard, but the resort has decided other concerns trump your's.

It is indeed great. That said, it's a shame that the desire to earn $100-200 in NASTAR revenue trumped the guest experience on Sunday.

Lostone
03-04-2008, 10:35 PM
The configuration of Racer's Edge (which was mentioned) and Snowball as one continuous run renders this distinction irrelevant.

The complaint was that Snowball and Spring Fling were closed. That would cut off Twist, Moonshine, Spring Fling, Eden and Lower Snowball. Instead it was Racer's Edge. That cuts off Cat's Meow, tho they'll usually even let you thru to get to that.

As for the chute on the right of the bottom of the race course being ugly... I won't bother to argue with that. It sucks! Everything isn't great all the time. :wink:

That said, it's a shame that the desire to earn $100-200 in NASTAR revenue trumped the guest experience on Sunday.

I don't think that the racing programs are an immediate payoff, especially NASTAR. NASTAR is just one of those things many people expect a mountain to have.

As for the races, they may bring in 100 racers. That might bring in 200-??? more, that accompany them. Some of them pay for lodging, and some for food. But that is not where I see the "money making".

I see it from people who are really in to skiing. They come to this place called Sugarbush. They ski 20-40 of the 111 trails and say there is a lot more to this place. Many of them decide to come back, later. They also see that chute and anything else that is wrong, at the time. Still, they go to a lot of mountains and the resort might feel they still come out ahead.

These are only my thoughts. I've not discussed it with anyone in management or the racing programs, but they seem to make sense.

Still, I appreciate your position, and I've seen the look of some of the people looking up, from the sides of that chute, as I ski toward them. Not the best thing on the hill. Very seldom the worst.

But the amount of good skiing they get, on the Snowball, Lower Snowball, Spring Road, Spring Fling run, before hitting that short segment of Spring Fling... I've seen people who hated it, do it again, because their good to bad ratio was high enough.

barkbiter
03-04-2008, 10:40 PM
What a whiner that Tin Woodie is. But he is a heck of a typer. All those posts....................maybe if he spent more time practicing his turns than typing and whining he wouldnt be so upset that a blue run was closed. If he's that serious about his skiing, try the black runs..........they are sooooo much more fun ! And what's up with the phony name...........a real woodsman would be skiing n the woods, where all the beautiful untracked snow was. The bark was delicious.

woo woo woo woo woo woo woo woo woo woo woo woo

Lostone
03-04-2008, 10:53 PM
Moderator note:
Please refrain from personal attacks.

The subject is there for comments on any side.

Thanx for your support.

Abe Froman
03-04-2008, 11:44 PM
I'm a lurker. Had to chim in.

Yeh, BB you have the pull of an ant...10 posts??? Personal attacks? C'mon will ya? MMMMmmmmm bark = L7

barkbiter
03-05-2008, 12:37 AM

Yeh, BB you have the pull of an ant...10 posts??? Personal attacks? C'mon will ya? MMMMmmmmm bark = L7

When you chim in, try to have something to say......................it makes it soooo much more interesting for the reader.

BushMogulMaster
03-05-2008, 01:24 AM

When you chim in, try to have something to say......................it makes it soooo much more interesting for the reader.

Troll. If I were Greg or a mod, he'd be banned already. Sorry. No excuse.

barkbiter
03-05-2008, 01:43 AM

Troll. If I were Greg or a mod, he'd be banned already. Sorry. No excuse.

Oh really.................but your name calling is ok. Go ahead, ban me !! Awwww. Last weekend was nothing but awesome. The longest line at Bravo still only took 10 minutes to get thru. The skiing was superb. And all these guys can do is nitpick and complain ? Puhlease. They should be banned !!!! Let them ski Stowe ! Sugarbush rules !! People posting with grandiose screen names do not !!

Lostone
03-05-2008, 08:13 AM
I think all the pertinent issues have been discussed, on the topic.

As it has degenerated to childish name calling, I'm locking it.

Please discuss issues and leave personal animosities for PMs, emails and off-board communications.