PDA

View Full Version : Slidebrook Rescue

walks
03-03-2008, 09:10 AM
While skiing in the Slidebrook area on Saturday Myself, Castlerock and a visiting friend heard screams from, what turned out to be a 9? year old boy who had been separated from his father with no whistle, radilo or cell phone. Castlerock immediately call the Dispatch number while we tried to calm the boy down and find out what had happened. At this point it seemed that the father had made it down and called in as well. The boy was scared and out of sorts. He told us he had taken his skis off and left them somewhere in the woods. He had been on the move for some time after taking his skis off. We stayed with the boy till a patroller showed up and seemed to have the situation under control. believe they were able to walk out to the slidebrook lift and he was ok.

Wondering if they charged the father for time and effort from the resort?

Yard Sale
03-03-2008, 09:50 AM
Nice save.

madhavok
03-03-2008, 09:51 AM
Good job guys. Sounds like your efforts helped deliver a happy ending.

However, this is exactly why little kids have no business going into Slidebrook and more people need to realize that. Its not that hard to get separated from your buddy in the back woods, and god forbid you do, you better have the ski ability and outdoors experience to get out all by yourself. And most 9 year olds don’t.

No radio? No GPS? Ditching his skis? That’s just bad.

CapeSkiGuy
03-03-2008, 10:00 AM
I was very surprised to see the number of skiers waiting for the Mad Bus at the Slide Brook exit this weekend, including some very young people. Personally, I think there should be a minimum age limit for Slide Brook skiing, but not everyone will agree with me. I also think some parents (and I have seen this personally more than once this season) take their kids places on the mountain where they ought not, and force them to exceed their ability. Ask any patroller about "taxi rides". I am just glad this kid is ok, and all is well. Skis are replaceable...even if the crews don't find them this summer. Good work by the world's best ski patrol.

freeheel_skier
03-03-2008, 10:04 AM
sounds like there was an oversight issue with dad :roll: .....should have thought of worst case scinero and prepared for it before bring his son with him. :?

I am sure the parent feels awful. Glad to hear everything was ok. He was lucky you guys crossed his path! :wink:

ski_resort_observer
03-03-2008, 10:04 AM
Nice save.

ditto

castlerock
03-03-2008, 10:29 AM
It isn't a problem with the kids. My kids ski better than 75% of the folks who go into slidebrook (Dad brag/off)

The issue is the adults who go in there, that don't have the judgement, skills or techniques to bring lesser skilled/experienced folks (kids or adults) into an un-patrolled environment. Frankly they are Guide skills,

Simple things like groups of three (the aforementioned party was a party of two).

Having an experienced person "sweep" the group. (A REQUIREMENT with kids).

Basic equipment: whistles, phones, radios (the aforementioned group did have two radios, but the father had them both).

When you bring your kids in there, you are a guide and you need to think and act like one

Powder Puff
03-03-2008, 10:38 AM
On a side topic, I was wondering why there isn't a sign at the main Slide Brook entrance that indicates you are entering the backcountry and the Slide Brook Basin. Most resorts make it a point to call it out when you are going beyond the ski area boundary. Reason I mention it is that I was taking a run into Slide Brook late in the day on Saturday when I was approached by 3 people who asked "where does this trail go?" I told them that they were in Slide Brook and that they would end up on German Flats. They had no idea where they were and didn't intend to leave the resort. Luckily, they were near the top, so I directed them to consider turning around. They thanked me and turned around.

A simple sign would go a long way towards educating what people are getting into. Over at Stowe, I noticed yellow backcountry signs at all the typical entrances.

Hawk
03-03-2008, 11:27 AM
I think a simple "Ski Area Boundry" sign would go a long way. Don't want to give out to much information. :wink:

slaw
03-03-2008, 11:30 AM
I'm gonna re-up on my radio inventory. Have Motorola "16 mile". They are horrible. Any recommendations?

castlerock
03-03-2008, 11:39 AM
Cell phone.
Better coverage, easy to operate, leave messages, direct line to Dispatch.
If you are talking about parent to kid safety communication, chances are you won't need something that can reach from the Castlerock pub to Mad River. You just need something that both the adult and child KNOW how to operate, particularly in a stressful situation. One needs practice to effectively use a GMRS/FRS radio.
The whistle is the first thing I'd make sure that both I and my kids had.

Tin Woodsman
03-03-2008, 12:00 PM
Cell phone.
Better coverage, easy to operate, leave messages, direct line to Dispatch.
If you are talking about parent to kid safety communication, chances are you won't need something that can reach from the Castlerock pub to Mad River. You just need something that both the adult and child KNOW how to operate, particularly in a stressful situation. One needs practice to effectively use a GMRS/FRS radio.
The whistle is the first thing I'd make sure that both I and my kids had.

Absolutely. There are no guarantees that a radio can reach over the ridge for a 911 call to patrol. Then again, as stated, for parent/child communications,a Talk-about should be all that's necessary (assuming you aren't violating the law!).

freeheel_skier
03-03-2008, 12:07 PM
(assuming you aren't violating the law!).

LOL

wher is that guy?

Treeskier
03-03-2008, 12:15 PM
I agree with a ski area boundary sign. As for the kid. I was leading a group when we came upon the dad. I subsequently learned that the kid had been in there with his blazer group before and had told dad I know where to go. But then he took a low line on the traverse and subsequently got lost. He obviously did not and did not know the correct woods procedures. I also made several calls to advise people of the situation. Ironically I then came across some adults looking for another adult. My friend found him and I was able to re-communicate with the lost party to re-connect them all. While I do truly love Slidebrook and am a Boy Scout leader. I do fell we need to better job to educate everyone going into the trees / Slidebrook. At Mad River there are signs everywhere that state their woods policy. I think it would be advisable to do the same. Maybe at the bottom of North Lynx Lift. In the past a Blazer/womans turns/black diamond club trip to Slidebrook is suppose to be an ultimate trip/educational adventure, but it does seem that there are now a real lot going in. Could be the great snow! But if a group goes in many times they think they know it.......?!

jkvt
03-03-2008, 12:32 PM
Good job guys. Sounds like your efforts helped deliver a happy ending.

However, this is exactly why little kids have no business going into Slidebrook and more people need to realize that. Its not that hard to get separated from your buddy in the back woods, and god forbid you do, you better have the ski ability and outdoors experience to get out all by yourself. And most 9 year olds don’t.

No radio? No GPS? Ditching his skis? That’s just bad.

No way to blame the kid for this one. This was a bad call on the fathers part all the way around. Bad preparation and bad execution.

I disagree with a blanket statement that kids have no business going into Slidebrook. Some kids I know that are 9-12 are more than ready, while I know some 45-55 year olds that have no business in there. It comes down to ability and preparation. This poor kid sounds like he had neither. Great thing that people who were prepared ran into him, kudos.

jkvt

walks
03-03-2008, 12:53 PM
Not sure if everyone feels this but the area seems to have a mainstream feel to it now. I think that is what is driving everyone into it. by area I mean take the high traverse, go past the lift and then go skiers left ( the main area).

The sign idea may help in having people second guess going into the area. I wonder though if that would bring more awareness to the entrance.

Powder Puff,

Had a similar situation this year with a guy and his son. Got of the chair and started to go in. Father asked where it went. Explained to him the situation and that he should go and hire a guide. Looked back and sure enough he was following. Now the question comes up. Do I need to feel responsible for this guy? Some say no. Some say yes. I decided to wait and tell him he could follow us down. The Father and son had no problem skiing in there but my problem with what happened is not about ski ability. Maybe they would have found there way down. Most likely they would have. If they hadn't and we decided not to wait? Then what? If I had said "hey come on in and follow me" that would have been different. Already had a group and didn't really want two more. Didn't care much for being put in that situation.

walks
03-03-2008, 12:57 PM
I agree with a ski area boundary sign. As for the kid. I was leading a group when we came upon the dad. I subsequently learned that the kid had been in there with his blazer group before and had told dad I know where to go. But then he took a low line on the traverse and subsequently got lost. He obviously did not and did not know the correct woods procedures. I also made several calls to advise people of the situation. Ironically I then came across some adults looking for another adult. My friend found him and I was able to re-communicate with the lost party to re-connect them all. While I do truly love Slidebrook and am a Boy Scout leader. I do fell we need to better job to educate everyone going into the trees / Slidebrook. At Mad River there are signs everywhere that state their woods policy. I think it would be advisable to do the same. Maybe at the bottom of North Lynx Lift. In the past a Blazer/womans turns/black diamond club trip to Slidebrook is suppose to be an ultimate trip/educational adventure, but it does seem that there are now a real lot going in. Could be the great snow! But if a group goes in many times they think they know it.......?!

We saw the dad at the bottom and he said his kid had been in there at least 50 times. ?????????????? Goes to show it only takes one time.

HowieT2
03-03-2008, 01:01 PM
Don't blame the kids, it is the Dad who is completely responsible.
I was in there Sunday with my 11 year old son and 7 year old daughter. He knows slidebrook better than I do thanks to our friend Mr. Atkinson and adventure camp. My daughter had just gotten finished doing lift line at Castlerock with her blazer group and is probably a better skier than either my son or me. That being said, each of us has a 2 way radio and a backpack with drink/food and I have a cell phone. They lead and I follow and don't let them out of my sight.

With respect to the 2 way radios, I find them to be unreliable, even under the best of conditions. I had my in laws buy my son the top of the line "25 mile" motorolas and while they work some of the times, I'd hate to have to count on them. First of all, with children, it is very difficult to understand what they are saying, especially if they are excited (lost, hurt, hungry, boot out of binding, etc.). As soon as ATT offers a kids cellphone with a GPS locator I'm all over it.

skiladi
03-03-2008, 02:11 PM
It isn't a problem with the kids. My kids ski better than 75% of the folks who go into slidebrook (Dad brag/off)

The issue is the adults who go in there, that don't have the judgement, skills or techniques to bring lesser skilled/experienced folks (kids or adults) into an un-patrolled environment. Frankly they are Guide skills,

Simple things like groups of three (the aforementioned party was a party of two).

Having an experienced person "sweep" the group. (A REQUIREMENT with kids).

Basic equipment: whistles, phones, radios (the aforementioned group did have two radios, but the father had them both).

When you bring your kids in there, you are a guide and you need to think and act like one

Agree with you. As mentioned in the post about bus etiquette the kids that can handle the terrain have every right to enjoy it. The parent needs to use their brain.

smootharc
03-03-2008, 04:25 PM
....but I'm not sure one skilled, qualified parent and two kids under 16 years old (or so) count as "three in the trees".

If daddy (or mommy) goes down, then he would need to have his injuries attended by a youth (a likely freaked out kid), while his other (likely freaked out kid) is expected to head off to navigate safely and find help. Not good. If a kid gets hurt, then daddy has to decide to either staying (sending off a freaked out kid to find help) or leaving....a hurt freaked out kid with a freaked out kid. Then there's the issue of describing clearly and accurately where you are in SB if you have radio/phone contact. "Uh....we're right by this tree....).

Paint me paranoid, but I think, ideally, if there are kids involved, two knowledgeable and fully equipped adult leaders would be considered minimum from a safety standpoint.

It's one thing to be aware in the abstract about what to do IF things go wrong....and a whole other thing to react quickly and adjust correctly WHEN someone in your group has gotten hurt or lost.

Glad this weekend's drama had a happy ending. As a parent (and one who's done some stupid things) I can only imagine those few hours.

As a quick aside, in addition to other safety gear, we all carry these in our jackets:

http://www.stormwhistles.com/

atkinson
03-03-2008, 05:01 PM
"In the past a Blazer/womans turns/black diamond club trip to Slidebrook is suppose to be an ultimate trip/educational adventure, but it does seem that there are now a real lot going in. Could be the great snow! But if a group goes in many times they think they know it.......?!"

Coming from the guy that spends more time in there than just about anybody, I can't believe you're complaining about too many people, too many trips. How about you take a few less runs so the rest of us can have a chance? ;)

Adventure is what we do. And when the snow is good, we're going to go. Just like you. And it's still an ultimate trip/ educational adventure, regardless of how many times we go. We impart consistent and comprehensive lessons in backcountry travel to these kids and parents, but nobody is immune from making mistakes.

John

win
03-03-2008, 05:55 PM
This was a fortunate outcome. What I took away was how concerned everyone was when they heard that a child had been separated and might be lost. People contributed advice on where they thought they heard a child's voice, people volunteered to help and a guest found the boy and called in on a cell phone and patrol went in with a sled. One of the great things about this place is how eager almost everyone is to help out when needed and to do the right thing.

walks
03-03-2008, 06:14 PM
Big round of applause for the patrol for doing such a great job.

Win, on another note, my wife dragged me and my kids into Timbers friday night for dinner. Had a great meal and the atmosphere was nice. Also, thanks for the confirmation about the lincoln gap road. He was following his GPS and would have added some time onto his drive if he followed it.

ski_resort_observer
03-03-2008, 06:32 PM
This is out of bounds skiing, like many other resorts, if it gets to be a big problem with people going in who are not prepared or not experienced you either close it down or require people entering to have transceivers. Hopefully it won't get to that point. A sign identifing the entrance would be a huge mistake at this point. A warning sign might help.

atkinson
03-03-2008, 06:39 PM
I hope you are kidding SRO. Your suggestions are unworkable and inappropriate. Not to nitpick or anything. ;)

John

ski_resort_observer
03-03-2008, 07:08 PM
I hope you are kidding SRO. Your suggestions are unworkable and inappropriate. Not to nitpick or anything. ;)

John

I hear what your saying but I fear that we have been lucky so far in that there has not been any life threatning injuries or god forbid, a death in there. If that does change then it's going to be a whole new ballgame regarding Slidebrook access from the resort. This has happened to other resorts, mostly out west, it can happen here IMHO. We might not have the avalanche dangers but out of bounds skiers/riders lost and injured is already happening. It's the old story...a few dumb apples can screw it up for everyone.

atkinson
03-03-2008, 07:39 PM
Risk is part of life. Accepting personal responsibility is key. Injuries and deaths happen every day on our roads and we don't talk about closing them.

John

freeheel_skier
03-03-2008, 08:14 PM
....but I'm not sure one skilled, qualified parent and two kids under 16 years old (or so) count as "three in the trees".

If daddy (or mommy) goes down, then he would need to have his injuries attended by a youth (a likely freaked out kid), while his other (likely freaked out kid) is expected to head off to navigate safely and find help. Not good. If a kid gets hurt, then daddy has to decide to either staying (sending off a freaked out kid to find help) or leaving....a hurt freaked out kid with a freaked out kid. Then there's the issue of describing clearly and accurately where you are in SB if you have radio/phone contact. "Uh....we're right by this tree....).

Paint me paranoid, but I think, ideally, if there are kids involved, two knowledgeable and fully equipped adult leaders would be considered minimum from a safety standpoint.

It's one thing to be aware in the abstract about what to do IF things go wrong....and a whole other thing to react quickly and adjust correctly WHEN someone in your group has gotten hurt or lost.

Glad this weekend's drama had a happy ending. As a parent (and one who's done some stupid things) I can only imagine those few hours.

As a quick aside, in addition to other safety gear, we all carry these in our jackets:

http://www.stormwhistles.com/

Very good point. I am painted the same color paranoid as you!!!!

freeheel_skier
03-03-2008, 08:20 PM
Risk is part of life. Accepting personal responsibility is key. Injuries and deaths happen every day on our roads and we don't talk about closing them.

John

DITTO! 8)

ski_resort_observer
03-03-2008, 08:30 PM

John

Yup, closing access is not a solution but rethinking how you handle usage in an increasingly popular place like Slide Brook is inevitable. I think Slide Brook is reaching mythical status here in New England. I think that's a good thing.

03-03-2008, 09:40 PM
Maybe some signs on the lift towers and the bottom and the top shack of the Chair Lifts, promoting "Outback Guided Tours" for inexperienced adventurers who wish to learn about the backcountry before “following tracks” into any unfamiliar and unknown terrain.
Most people that have ever been lost or alone in Slidebrook haven't a clue that this Guided Tour Service even exists!

Another thought is a Guided Tours “schedule”, "sign in sheet" , and radio to Guest Services located at the Patrol Warming Huts around the ski area , along with an brief explanation of wilderness travel requirements (e.g. first aid skills, whistle, water, food, clothing, and other basic survival needs).

Maybe a Mountain Guide on the clock who could be posted near the Warming Huts armed with something promoting the tours would help.

Increase the advertising and promotion of this Service as an educational tool and it can’t hurt.
All done without pointing or referring to any popular “entrances” to the backcountry.
It might make rational people think twice whenever and wherever they see tracks going into the trees.

The Slidebrook area has become more and more popular to visiting outdoor enthusiasts and the “novice” wilderness travelers, and unfortunately the irrational and irresponsible will still be following tracks back there despite anyone’s efforts (hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be close by to save their a**), although the responsible amongst them may opt to take a guided tour and learn what is required.

smootharc
03-04-2008, 09:11 AM
Accepting personal responsibility is key.

Accepting personal responsibility is......un-American ! And I have a high priced lawyer to prove it ! :lol:

Hawk
03-04-2008, 09:50 AM
Maybe a simple solution that would help cut down on the number uninformed people entering slide brook would be to relocate the entrance away from the lift. Close up the entrance at the lift and move it over to the top of Sunrise. That way people will have to traverse over a little bit and out of the main traffic and watching eyes. Also post ski area boundry signs all over the top. That certainly stops a good majority of the people with uncertainty.

03-04-2008, 09:59 AM

Accepting personal responsibility is......un-American ! And I have a high priced lawyer to prove it ! :lol:

SA-

Attorneys need to ski/eat too.... :D
LOL

"Thank you for contacting the Law Offices of Treewell, Pungee, and Blowdown, protecting the imaginary rights of phantasmagoric, delusional, irresponsible, and irrational skiers, riders, and other clueless outdoor enthusiasts since....."

HowieT2
03-04-2008, 10:13 AM

SA-

LOL

"Thank you for contacting the Law Offices of Treewell, Pungee, and Blowdown, protecting the imaginary rights of phantasmagoric, delusional, irresponsible, and irrational skiers, riders, and other clueless outdoor enthusiasts since....."

Easy on the lawyer bashing. Republicans and their friends at Fox have done a good job vilifying my profession. No doubt if they had their way they would do the same thing Musharaf did in Pakistan and round us all up. Don't ever forget that it is the lawyers who protect all of our rights to live by the rule of law and not the whim of those in power.

Tin Woodsman
03-04-2008, 10:23 AM
Maybe a simple solution that would help cut down on the number uninformed people entering slide brook would be to relocate the entrance away from the lift. Close up the entrance at the lift and move it over to the top of Sunrise. That way people will have to traverse over a little bit and out of the main traffic and watching eyes. Also post ski area boundry signs all over the top. That certainly stops a good majority of the people with uncertainty.

Good idea. Better yet, move it past the entrance to Sunrise onto that little clearing along the top of the ridge.

03-04-2008, 10:23 AM

SA-

LOL

Easy on the lawyer bashing. Republicans and their friends at Fox have done a good job vilifying my profession. No doubt if they had their way they would do the same thing Musharaf did in Pakistan and round us all up. Don't ever forget that it is the lawyers who protect all of our rights to live by the rule of law and not the whim of those in power.

No lawyer bashing intended here, only a little poke at the irresponsible skiers who tend to ask their attorney to "stretch" the laws to cover them when they don't use good judgment.......
Just wish "eggshell" and "thin skull" plantiffs stayed out of the woods. :!:

smootharc
03-04-2008, 10:33 AM
Easy on the lawyer bashing. Republicans and their friends at Fox have done a good job vilifying my profession.

Lawyers are just like the movies.....there's the good Santa's.....then there's "Bad Santa" (Billy Bob shoulda won the Oscar for that role). :wink:

03-04-2008, 10:50 AM
Easy on the lawyer bashing. Republicans and their friends at Fox have done a good job vilifying my profession.

Lawyers are just like the movies.....there's the good Santa's.....then there's "Bad Santa" (Billy Bob shoulda won the Oscar for that role). :wink:

Speaking of movies, wonder if Happy Girl likes her popcorn buttered or unbuttered.
:?:

ski_resort_observer
03-04-2008, 11:07 AM
http://forums.skimrv.com/albums/album33/cartoon1.jpg

:wink: