PDA

View Full Version : Whiskey

happygirl
02-25-2008, 02:02 PM
Whats everybodys favorite whiskey after skiing??

Fourwide
02-25-2008, 02:54 PM
Bourbon, if in a brown mood, or vodka over lots of ice, if not.

happygirl
02-25-2008, 02:59 PM
Does anybody know of any good Southern Comfort mixes?

HowieT2
02-25-2008, 03:15 PM
Now you're talking. Gotta go with the bourbon. There is a new distillery in the Hudson valley making great stuff called Hudson Valley Four Grain Bourbon. That is to drink straight. If you're mixing, I prefer Makers Mark.

Once I get in front of the fireplace, I like to have port. If you're just trying port, do not buy the cheap stuff, unless it's tawny from Australia. I would recommend any 20 or 30 year old tawny.

Hawk
02-25-2008, 03:52 PM
Hmmm.........first beer, now whiskey. I seem to be getting a pattern here.... :wink:

Fourwide
02-25-2008, 04:03 PM
I'd pay up a bit for a single vintage port. Those are aged in bottle, as opposed to tawny, which is aged in cask (and hence the "tawny" label).

Bourbon--you might want to try the Jim Beam 8 yr. old--I think you'll like it much more than Maker's Mark. The NY Times did a nice bourbon tasting a couple of months ago. I bet you can find it on the website.

HowieT2
02-25-2008, 04:40 PM
I'd pay up a bit for a single vintage port. Those are aged in bottle, as opposed to tawny, which is aged in cask (and hence the "tawny" label).

Bourbon--you might want to try the Jim Beam 8 yr. old--I think you'll like it much more than Maker's Mark. The NY Times did a nice bourbon tasting a couple of months ago. I bet you can find it on the website.

Vintage ports are great, but IMHO less reliable than a 20-30 year old tawny at the same price point. A 20 year tawny will cost upwards of $50 a bottle. 30 year obviously more. You can spend significantly more for a good vintage and it will either be great or sometimes, not. I think for the novice port buyer, a good tawny is the way to go.
Care to have a port tasting at SB?

Fourwide
02-25-2008, 04:54 PM
Good points, I'm sure--I think you know alot more about Port than do I! Port tasting sounds like a great idea. A buddy of mine and I had a very successful tequila tasting at Timbers bar a couple of weekends' ago!

Hawk
02-25-2008, 07:32 PM
How did we get on Port........Whiskey - Single malt for me from the place where men wear skirts. 20 years or better.

Back to port........Howie, vintage port with many years and the more expensive the better. Live it up! :wink:

skibum1321
02-25-2008, 10:04 PM
No whiskey for me. Actually no hard alcohol at all for me. I stick to beer and wine.

HowieT2
02-25-2008, 10:19 PM
How did we get on Port........Whiskey - Single malt for me from the place where men wear skirts. 20 years or better.

Back to port........Howie, vintage port with many years and the more expensive the better. Live it up! :wink:

That's the problem. Too pricey for my wallet.

gratefulskier
02-26-2008, 08:42 AM
Port - except for the cheapest rubies, they're almost all good.

For bourbon, give me Booker's.

For Scotch, Lagavaulin.

For rum, Pyrut XO.

Cognac - Hennessey XO.

Tequila - Patron, Don Julio or Herradura Anejo.

For something really different, Lucid Absinthe.

They're all good. Too many to choose from.

GS

jkvt
02-26-2008, 03:08 PM
Whats everybodys favorite whiskey after skiing??

Knob Creek or Jack D for home grown and MacAllen for imports

jkvt

tymoguls
02-26-2008, 04:08 PM
Old Bushmills. Yum!

CapeSkiGuy
02-27-2008, 03:39 PM
John Power's Irish, Maker's Mark, JD, or any decent vodka. Bowmore 20, Balvenie Doublewood, or any other sherry-casked single malt. I prefer my liquors in the 80 proof range, as anything higher gives whiskeys a hot taste.

As for the Southern Comfort: The SoCo Manhattan is made by putting a lot of ice in a Boston shaker, then filling with about 3 oz. of Comfort. Touch it with just a bit of red (sweet) vermouth. Note: some places use dry vermouth for this. Shake the hell out of it, and pour into a stemmed glass. Garnish with a maraschino cherry. Serve the ice in a rocks glass on the side.

HowieT2
02-27-2008, 05:17 PM

For Scotch, Lagavaulin.

For rum, Pyrut XO.

Cognac - Hennessey XO.

GS

I've always wanted to try some of that absynthe stuff. Is it legal yet?

freeheel_skier
02-27-2008, 08:54 PM

For Scotch, Lagavaulin.

For rum, Pyrut XO.

Cognac - Hennessey XO.

GS

I've always wanted to try some of that absynthe stuff. Is it legal yet?

I think so? I know that there is some produced in the US.

Someone gave me a bottle they brought back from the Czech Republic and the stuff is awful! :shock:

Scotch-Lagavaulin 8)

gratefulskier
02-28-2008, 08:29 AM
Absinthe is now legal in the US, but each brand needs to be tested for thujone content before it can be sold.

Hills is the most common Absinthe in North America and I've gotten it from Canada in the past. Truth is, it's not a very good drink. Ask Bubba. He's had some Hill's at my place and most people compare it to mouthwash.

I've had a number of other absinthes that friends brought back from vacations in eastern Europe, and none of them thrilled me that much either.

But, some of the newer products coming onto the market are a big improvement, and Lucid is my favorite so far.

The URL for Lucid is http://www.drinklucid.com/.

The person responsible for Lucid is a very interesting character who has tasted many very old absinthes from the 19th century and tried to focus on the taste of the product rather than the frequent obsession with wormwood and thujone. When he tested many of the old absinthes, he found that their thujone content was very low.

There is another absinthe available in the US that has gotten good reviews, but I can't remember the name and I haven't found it or tasted it yet.

Lucid is available in NY but not in VT.

GS

random_ski_guy
03-01-2008, 11:56 AM
no love on this string for Old Granddad whiskey?

seriously, that stuff is putrid.

jkvt
03-02-2008, 09:30 PM
no love on this string for Old Granddad whiskey?

seriously, that stuff is putrid.

OGD? Not since college. But OGD and lemonade over ice and you would almost swear it was not paint thinner, live large and throw in a sprig of mint. Brings back some memories...they of course don't outweigh the lack of them due to OGD.

jkvt