PDA

View Full Version : Spring Pass

02-21-2008, 12:03 PM
http://www.sugarbush.com/skiandride/cm.asp?pn=springpass08&pid=271

Way to capitalize on your neighbor to the south opting out of the late season game.

Hardbooter
02-21-2008, 12:59 PM
I guess it's time to start blowing extra snow on Steins.

thedisemboweler
02-21-2008, 01:01 PM
what is the scheduled closing for sb?

ski_resort_observer
02-21-2008, 01:11 PM

Apparently you weren't watching the Today Show or checked the snowmaking report... :wink:

thedisemboweler
02-21-2008, 01:26 PM

Apparently you weren't watching the Today Show or checked the snowmaking report... :wink:

i just called sb closing on 4/27 only 2 weeks more than k....looks like spring skiing is dying out just like this industry :cry: :(

ski_resort_observer
02-21-2008, 01:43 PM
I believe the scheduled closing last year was April 29th but got extended a week to May 5th. It's usually not worth it businesswise to run much after that.

skibum1321
02-21-2008, 08:17 PM
Does anyone know what the Mellen closing date is?

Lostone
02-21-2008, 08:53 PM

Glad they took your suggestion! :wink:

Snow under the tower guns as sweeet, today! :D

MntMan4Bush
02-22-2008, 09:38 AM
I had to laugh while watching the Today show. The guns were a blazing. Considerings my post a few weeks back about the lack of snowmaking (in my opinion) at the Bush when the camera's are rolling those guns were going full blast and they talked about how SB is always making snow at nights when mother nature doesn't provide to beef up the base and the trails for Spring. "Always" might be a generous term. Regardless it's all about marketing and perception. I love to see the Bush doing well and getting good publicity, but I had to chuckle.

By the way speaking of chuckling (and clearly digressing form the topic thread) did any one see how Al held the ski poles while running in snowshoes for the "Olympics"? Looked more like the special Olympics. He held them on the shaft below the handles and was flailing about. Worth the price of admission for sure. Glad I DVR'd it so I could watch it again.

skibum1321
02-22-2008, 10:05 AM
Overall Sugarbush has had a ton of natural snow this season so I don't think snowmaking has been much of an issue for a good part of the season. I would like to see them blow a lot on Steins in the coming weeks though. Anything to push the season as late as possible would be great. I have a bad feeling that this year won't be as generous in terms of spring snowfall and the spring at Lincoln peak thing may begin to show some more flaws.

Sugaree
02-22-2008, 03:56 PM
Guns have been full blast on Steins for 48 hours. The torpedo and I hit it 10x in a row. The bottom half of Ripcord was groomed last night. Problem was you had to ski Spills to get to it. The torpedo said it was a sacrifice worth making. I agreed, and it was. Our guess is that the guns will be on Ripcord next.

HowieT2
02-22-2008, 04:24 PM
Overall Sugarbush has had a ton of natural snow this season so I don't think snowmaking has been much of an issue for a good part of the season. I would like to see them blow a lot on Steins in the coming weeks though. Anything to push the season as late as possible would be great. I have a bad feeling that this year won't be as generous in terms of spring snowfall and the spring at Lincoln peak thing may begin to show some more flaws.

would someone please explain why they have been blowing on steins for two consecutive days but haven't done anything on ripcord. The groomed bottom part is awesome but the top is ice, now covered with a few inches of snow. I took paradise around it today which was tough but 'nothing compared to what I encountered in the woods. Let's just say I took a couple runs sans skis/poles. Luckily I did little damage except to my forearm but the swelling is getting better already. Got a good workout hiking up.

ski_resort_observer
02-22-2008, 06:53 PM

would someone please explain why they have been blowing on steins for two consecutive days but haven't done anything on ripcord. The groomed bottom part is awesome but the top is ice, now covered with a few inches of snow. I took paradise around it today which was tough but 'nothing compared to what I encountered in the woods. Let's just say I took a couple runs sans skis/poles. Luckily I did little damage except to my forearm but the swelling is getting better already. Got a good workout hiking up.

The designated spring trails like Stein, Snowball, Spring Fling are a priority this time of year. During the ASC days after Feb 15th, hardly any snowmaking was done. most snowmakers already laid off. Ripchord is a wide, steep and very exposed trail and not one I would personally choose right now. Hopefully the warmer temps in the next few days will soften things up.

HowieT2
02-23-2008, 07:39 AM

The designated spring trails like Stein, Snowball, Spring Fling are a priority this time of year. During the ASC days after Feb 15th, hardly any snowmaking was done. most snowmakers already laid off. Ripchord is a wide, steep and very exposed trail and not one I would personally choose right now. Hopefully the warmer temps in the next few days will soften things up.

Judging from the trail report you appear to be correct, but why not at least groom ripcord?

Hawk
02-24-2008, 08:30 AM
They groomed organgrinder already. We don't need another flat groomed black diamond up there. I skied Ripcord twice yesterday and it was fine. Besides when it warms up the bumbs on Rip are great. Once they groom it, it is never the same.

atkinson
02-24-2008, 08:35 AM
Sometimes grooming is counter-productive. There may not be enough coverage in certain spots on the trail and tilling would expose dirt or rock and mix it into the snow.

On a personal level, I have never been a fan of grooming Ripcord, unless it is right before a big dump. Corduroy on the 'Cord is scary, if you fall.

John

Powder Puff
02-25-2008, 10:24 AM
I agree... I had a great run on Rip on Saturday and even convinced a few friends to join me for one on Sunday. All about speed control to be sure, but it is a fun challenge and it keeps you warm. If I were on groomers all day, I would just freeze. Of course, 2' of new would be great right now.