PDA

View Full Version : Thank you Win Smith

Yard Sale
02-19-2008, 02:37 PM
We had yet to arrive at SB Friday night and our friends from NY spending the weekend with us had arrived at SB sooner than anticipated. Complicating matters further, they could not get their car up the road to our house in South Village. No worries though, they left their car in the lot across from snow creek and went and had dinner at Timbers.

However, our travel from Boston on the slick roads Friday night was extended due to the fact that upon our ascent of Roxbury Mtn. Rd. we saw the lights of emergency vehicles and found out that there was a serious accident up ahead and that the road was closed for the night. Back at Claybrook our friends had finished dinner and were now waiting in the lobby. Not a horrible existence by any means, but it was at that point about 10:00 pm, they have children and everyone is tired and it would be nice to get settled.

So, into the lobby walks Win Smith: “Why I can give you a lift”, he says. So he packs this family of 5 into his car and drives them up to our house, then takes the dad get the luggage from their stranded station wagon. We show up and there’s Win shouldering a couple of bags and an armload of American Girl Dolls walking into our house.

Now, Win could have just kept walking through the lobby that night and never made inquiry. And he could have delegated assistance to a member of the staff. But no, he drops what he was doing on the spot and immediately takes action. This attention to detail and the willingness to address problems (even other people’s problems) small and large as important and requiring quick remedy is special.

You see evidence all time of what a special situation we have with Summit Ventures and Sugarbush whether it is ownership and upper management serving as lifties or Win serving hot chocolate to customers waiting in line for passes as he did this past December, etc. etc. Special has become so commonplace, it would be easy to take for granted. This is no tale heroics, just a good guy lending helping hand to a road weary family.

My friends had a great time skiing and can’t wait to come back.

Thanks Win.

PS: Positive thoughts to, those people in the car accident in Roxbury. Hopefully everyone is O.K. or on the mend quickly.

02-19-2008, 02:58 PM
I had the pleasure of meeting and skiing with Win last month. One of those kind of people you feel like you've known a long time despite only just meeting them. SB is in great hands. Nice story.

noski
02-19-2008, 03:55 PM
Nice. 8)

boze
02-20-2008, 08:32 AM
Outstanding, thanks for sharing.

It is better up here; Win and folks like him are the reason.

urban07sti
02-21-2008, 09:24 AM
Couldn't agree more. I ran into Win at the ski shop at the bottom of Lincoln Peak. Started the conversation knowing I went to college with one of his sons, but soon it became much more than that. Spoke for a few minutes and it was incredible how he is out there and really involved. My only regret is that I didn't start coming up to Sugarbush sooner. I'll be back there this coming Monday, finishing off a ski weekend. Can't wait!