PDA

View Full Version : "The Today Show" at Sugarbush on Thursday!

Treeskier
02-18-2008, 10:31 PM
The Today Show is being broadcast from Sugarbush live on Thursday morning.

3 Huge sound and equipment trucks arrived today. Wires are being strung all over the base area. This should be a good one for the Bush.

Lostone
02-18-2008, 10:34 PM
Thought I'd seen this one. (http://forums.skimrv.com/viewtopic.php?t=1306) :wink:

walks
02-19-2008, 08:28 AM
That's just great.

Killington relocates.

Thought the place smelled different this weekend.

outofshape
02-19-2008, 09:37 AM
Good to see the national exposure for the mountain. Should be good to get some business to the mountain and surrounding community!

madhavok
02-19-2008, 10:00 AM
That's just great.

Killington relocates.

Ski Mount Ellen; the Kmart peeps seem to stick with SB South. I agree though, you can definitely smell it when they’re in town.

thedisemboweler
02-19-2008, 10:09 AM
That's just great.

Killington relocates.

how does the today show have anything to do with k?

i thought k folks were welcome at your beloved sb....we are hoping for some march, april & hopefully may skiing at your beloved sb....

outofshape
02-19-2008, 10:50 AM
I will be sure to send a message for everyone, including those you claim smell, to go try north too.

celebrate diversity :lol: :lol:

walks
02-19-2008, 03:27 PM
The end is near! I say after the today show they book Regis and Kelly or maybe even Oprah.

win
02-19-2008, 03:43 PM
Walks,

Never fear. They booked us. We didn't book them.

This exposure is good for the entire Valley, and will help everyone if some more people understand that life is really better here in the MRV and visit here in all the seasons. Empty mountains do not sustain themselves and The Bush has the capacity to handle more skiers and riders than it has had the past 10-15 years. Sunday was the second busiest day ever to put that day in perspective. A year ago Sunday was the busiest.

walks
02-19-2008, 06:12 PM
Win,

I completely understand that having more people in the valley is good for business. As for them booking you instead of you booking them. I was under the assumption that Summit Ventures made the decisions there. My statement about killington relocates comes from the fact that after getting off the condo bus to head to Super Bravo I was redirected to the Great Steps of Sugarbush due to U-hauls and Semi's and everything else. Felt like I was driving up the killington access road. I was never a big fan of the hotel going in or now this. I understand times change. For someone who has spent the better part of 42 years skiing at the Bush, Well, Change hurts.

I would have figured Sunday was the all-time busiest days ever. I have to disagree with your statement that SugarBush can handle the capacity. I think it can just get by with a weekend like that. I picked up more trash on the slopes and heard more people yelling at there kids in the lift line than I ever have before. Don't remember ever waiting in lift lines that long. Won't even go into the lodge issue.

My kids and a few others that I know when on the trails and not in the woods were all almost run over by people skiing to fast on overcrowded trails.

Outofshape,

I said the mountain smelled different, not the people.

skibum1321
02-19-2008, 07:30 PM
Do you realize what a grumpy old man you sound like?

shadyjay
02-19-2008, 07:54 PM
The mountain does smell different, but its a matter of who you ask and your perspective.
On V-Day, I talked to some folks on the lift who were shocked to see so many people on a weekday. "It's $14 day!" someone replied. Then began the talk of "it used to be $10 for a lift ticket every day", the slow lifts, etc.

Now fast forward to my first visit to the Bush. The lifts were also slow. The Sugar Bravo was 15 min and the Gate House was at least 10. North Link was a surface lift. There were the 3 new quads at North that year. But South (its name back then) was "back a few years". Then... bam... right before the death bell rang, ASC comes in and throws an ungodful (back then) amount of $$$ into the resort. North and South are connected, the lifts are upgraded, more snowmaking and south, and a "cluster o' buildings" sprung around the still-antiquated Gate House and V/House. I'm sure there were some folk back then who were crying when the Bush was "sold out" to a conglomo and the once-peaceful Birch Run and Sunrise became a destination on everyone's list with a triple to get you there (though the triple actually takes longer than the surface lift).

Fast forward a few more years to the early 00s, and when ASC is on the verge of bankrupt, in comes Summit Ventures, and steps it up by replacing the C'Rock Double with a model of the same capacity and speed, the slug becomes the GMX again, and finally the "Clay Brook" project. In a way, last season when Clay Brook opened, the mountain smelled different to me. Driving up the access road and you see this giant barn. It took some getting used to, but its there and its bringing in the crowds. Plus the epic snowstorms we've had since then have helped as well.

In this crazy era and time we live in, with gas being what it costs, economy issues, the constant talk of global w@#&ing (however I think more of a global cooling, or dismiss the whole concept altogether), resorts have to adapt and come up with ways to attract customers, both new and old. The Valley needed more beds, and got them with Clay Brook. The Lincoln Peak base needed a revitalization and got it with LP Village and the new Gate House, and will get the new Guest Service Center as well. Sugarbush needed to be a 4-season destination again, and has it, with hiking, lift rides, "frolf", and mountain biking in the summer and fall. And most important of all, we have the team at the mountain that is getting it done. A leader who knows what is taking place "on the front lines" and is going "above and beyond", who shares his views on a public message board, who helps those in need.

Just think of what would have happened to the Bush if powdr got their hands on it. Mt Ellen closed weekdays? The Castlerock Quad? Valley House Express Quad? A closing date in April? Perish the thought. The mountain would have smelled real bad then... like a landfull on a hot July/August day. Instead, I go to the mountain now and I see around me smiling faces. I see lots of snow. I see some advances in technology and some more "propaganda". And on Thursday, the whole country will see it all on live TV.

I'll close by saying that when I crest the access road and see Clay Brook, I know I'm at my [snowboard] home. S/V will do what they must to survive, and I see no problem in giving our little mtn a bit of national exposure. As long as it will keep us thriving for many many many years to come, I'll be more than happy to say "Hi - Welcome to Sugarbush".

(if the above msg sounded like an employee point of view, fear not, I'm not an employee - but it would make a good entry into the "story" contest, eh?)

HowieT2
02-19-2008, 08:08 PM
Walks,

Never fear. They booked us. We didn't book them.

This exposure is good for the entire Valley, and will help everyone if some more people understand that life is really better here in the MRV and visit here in all the seasons. Empty mountains do not sustain themselves and The Bush has the capacity to handle more skiers and riders than it has had the past 10-15 years. Sunday was the second busiest day ever to put that day in perspective. A year ago Sunday was the busiest.

Really? Saturday seemed more crowded than sunday to me.

This whole Today show thing is not for me (I had never seen it but checked it out last week to catch any SB promos when my kids had delayed school opening. Let me just say, I am not in their target audience) but it is undeniably a boon to SB and the entire valley. While I would love never to have to stand on a lift line, reality is the lifts, snow making, grooming, etc. have to be paid for. There couldn't be any better marketing than this. It's the kind of exposure you can't buy. Let's hope for some snow so the place looks its best on thursday.

BTW-any hints on the goings on for thursday morning? I heard a rumor that american flatbread is going to make pizza i/f/o GH lodge. Al Roker racing Egan down Rumble?

madhavok
02-19-2008, 08:24 PM
Come hang out at North its much more fun.

No crowds, no kmart peeps, better skiers.
Same great terrain, great chair lift configuration (GMX, North Ridge X, & Summit)
Plus what is better than drinking a beer on the ME deck on a sunny day?

Treeskier
02-19-2008, 09:12 PM
I figured this thread would be about all of the technology that would be put in place. Let get off grumbling. I hear Al Rocher is going to do some grilling. Any word on where the main set will be? Where the line up of the crowd as Al does his weather intro will be?

I've heard they previously filmed the MT a week ago Friday a SNOWY DAY. And Flat Breads a week ago Saturday. Any other sightings?

Hawk
02-20-2008, 08:26 AM
I figured this thread would be about all of the technology that would be put in place. Let get off grumbling.

I thought the same thing Tree. :roll: Anyway we watched the road crew from the Today Show roll in on Monday from our deck. There were 3 tractor trailers of stuff. I was told that they were setting up the mobile studio adjacent to timbers in the shuttle turn around. That was why they diverted foot traffic to the stairs. It was quite involved with a front end loader and trucks dumping dirt to make a level platform.

As for all the hub-bub and publicity, I think that it is fun to see the mountain thriving and growing. People don't like change and that is the lay of the land in the MRV. But if you want a new guest services lodge, more cafeteria space, a less crowded boot room and the Village double renovated then you have to deal with some change. It a double edged sword.

I guess there will always be that nostalgic sentiment towards the way things were and I respect that. Try to see that this new publicity builds the reputation of SB and will make us better in the long run. I have not waited in line more than 15 minutes all year and that was only a couple of times. We have 3/4" of the season where the mountain ours. The holiday weeks are a small price to pay.

Also Madhavok is right. I think everybody should go to North and Ski. South is way too crowded. It is the best mountain, except when the North Ridge breaks down :shock: or Brambles and Semi tough is closed.... :wink:

castlerock
02-20-2008, 08:42 AM

He's not as grumpy as he sounds.

The Today show thing is just a symbol, but I hope it adds to all good for all the entrepreneurs in the valley. I hope it adds regular weekenders, not daytrippers.

I'm privy to a couple specific incidents that color the comments of Walks. One was my 9 year old son (one of those kids you see skiing anything/everywhere) getting clobbered into the woods by an out of control snowboarder (with NYC on their hat). The second was a dangerous close call with his own kids. To make it worse it was statistically significant as we were only on the trails for a small fraction of our time on the hill, between woods shots.

The second issue was the overall difference in etiquette. We were picking up trash, including sports drink bottles thrown off the chair. The lift lines had more rude people, (albeit some teenagers) intentionally trying not to alternate.

Is this the inevitable price of progress? Maybe, but for a valley that sells itself on ambiance, and its "difference", the difference on this weekend was obvious.

Hawk
02-20-2008, 09:18 AM
Castlerock, don't you think the close calls, rudeness and the trash thing is common on holiday weeks in general? A good number of the people that come up for the holidays only ski a few days a year. They are not well versed in ski etiquette and are oblivious to other people because they are trying to stay on their feet. I do not think that this is a new thing. It has always been that way during holidays and not so much on regular weekends. I do hate the trash thing though. I picked some up myself.

HowieT2
02-20-2008, 09:25 AM

He's not as grumpy as he sounds.

The Today show thing is just a symbol, but I hope it adds to all good for all the entrepreneurs in the valley. I hope it adds regular weekenders, not daytrippers.

I'm privy to a couple specific incidents that color the comments of Walks. One was my 9 year old son (one of those kids you see skiing anything/everywhere) getting clobbered into the woods by an out of control snowboarder (with NYC on their hat). The second was a dangerous close call with his own kids. To make it worse it was statistically significant as we were only on the trails for a small fraction of our time on the hill, between woods shots.

The second issue was the overall difference in etiquette. We were picking up trash, including sports drink bottles thrown off the chair. The lift lines had more rude people, (albeit some teenagers) intentionally trying not to alternate.

Is this the inevitable price of progress? Maybe, but for a valley that sells itself on ambiance, and its "difference", the difference on this weekend was obvious.

Or is it a case of realizing expectations. I think these things happen all the time, but when you're looking for something you notice it more. Yes, when there are more teens at the mtn there is going to be more trash and sophomoric behavior. Yet I had no problems finding great snow and little traffic this past weekend. Not the end of the world.

castlerock
02-20-2008, 09:39 AM
Castlerock, don't you think the close calls, rudeness and the trash thing is common on holiday weeks in general? A good number of the people that come up for the holidays only ski a few days a year. They are not well versed in ski etiquette and are oblivious to other people because they are trying to stay on their feet. I do not think that this is a new thing. It has always been that way during holidays and not so much on regular weekends. I do hate the trash thing though. I picked some up myself.

Sure, it is. That is part of the point. It is the contrast to the regular weekends, that we are talking about. Look, Those $73 lift tickets are what can make the difference for the mountain. We need that, the businesses in the valley need the $$$ too. I understand that, that doesn't mean we have to abide by litter and rudeness reminiscent of Kxllxngtxn.

Walks point on the capacity of the mountain on peak weekends wasn't based on lift lines, It was based on the capacity of Downspout and the capacity of the Gate house lodge. Yes the mountain can handle more skier visits distributed across the year. It does feel like the peak days are close to max.

I'm now going to reprise my old advice on the lodge. PLEASE replace the plastic arm chairs with benches for the winter season. The capacity of that building will be increased by 50%. It will also feel more like a ski lodge.

castlerock
02-20-2008, 09:47 AM
Or is it a case of realizing expectations. I think these things happen all the time, but when you're looking for something you notice it more. Yes, when there are more teens at the mtn there is going to be more trash and sophomoric behavior. Yet I had no problems finding great snow and little traffic this past weekend. Not the end of the world.

No, we weren't looking for it, it hit us in the face. Who was complaining about snow? Woods R'Us, but Every once in a while you have to cross a trail. When your kid gets whacked, it gets personal.

Powder Puff
02-20-2008, 09:48 AM
Personally, I'm thrilled that the Today Show is coming to MRV. I believe that it is very positive for the Valley and SB. My DVR is already set to record the show! :D

As for busy holiday weekends, they are to be expected and it is a good idea to plan around them. We had visitors from Sunday River and they were pleased with the conditions and thought the Lift Ops did a great job managing the lines. Win is right - Even when the lines look ugly, they are rarely more than 10 minutes. During the weekend, my crew spent a good amount of time in Slide Brook and on other off piste adventures. Even Monday was really pleasant with the soft conditions. As a result, our reflections of the weekend were 100% focused on the sweet runs and not the crowds.

“The Mountains – Just another day in Paradise”

Yard Sale
02-20-2008, 10:04 AM
3 questions:

1. Are there any other remote locations for broadcast other than Timbers and LP Village? Top of HG?

2. Who of the Today Show cast is going to be clicking in for a few turns? Matt or maybe Anne?

3. Who among the SkiMRVers, If any, might be standing behind Al during the weather holding a silly sign and screaming like a cotton headed ninny muggins? Hmmmmm. . . .

skiladi
02-20-2008, 10:06 AM
I figured this thread would be about all of the technology that would be put in place. Let get off grumbling.

I thought the same thing Tree. :roll: Anyway we watched the road crew from the Today Show roll in on Monday from our deck. There were 3 tractor trailers of stuff.

that's just Meredith's wardrobe. ; }

skibum1321
02-20-2008, 10:08 AM
One thing that I certainly have noticed is the dramatic increase of skiers skiing Slidebrook. A couple of times on the bus there was no room to fit everyone, which is fairly ridiculous. Also, I do agree that the crowd does just seem different at times. Some weekends it just doesn't feel like the normal Sugarbush crowd. No one said progress is always welcome by all parties, but we need the extra people in order to sustain the mountain and the MRV.

noski
02-20-2008, 10:08 AM
3. Who among the SkiMRVers, If any, might be standing behind Al during the weather holding a silly sign and screaming like a cotton headed ninny muggins? Hmmmmm. . . .
As much as I would like to get in on the action, I am actually spending the whole day with a film crew representing The Learning Channel filming a segment for a Designing Spaces special episode on Destination Weddings & Honeymoons. The MRV will be the only destination featured on the thirty minute program. The rest of the program will feature national companies that deal with attire, stationery, etc. It should begin airing in April. Big day for the MRV!!

thinksnow
02-20-2008, 10:26 AM
[quote=Hawk]

I'm now going to reprise my old advice on the lodge. PLEASE replace the plastic arm chairs with benches for the winter season. The capacity of that building will be increased by 50%. It will also feel more like a ski lodge.

Couldn't agree more!!

slaw
02-20-2008, 11:57 AM
Hey Rock,

Saw that same kid and his pal's in the claw, almost took out my 13 year old daughter. He was in the chute, came off sideways 5 feet in the air, then shot into the bramble on his arse. Luck was on his side.....that time. My other favorite experience of the weekend was a 25ish year old boarder in the singles line at HG. When mostly threesomes were going through she got frustrated and proceeded to engage two others in the single line to "triple up". I challanged with a "not in front of me" that was met with frowns and disgust by all three. Not sure why the guy behind me let em in........

win
02-20-2008, 12:15 PM
The Today Show is very fluid right up to the time of the broadcast. We will probably open with a shot of either a torchlight or some other group ski down Spring Fling. There is a two minute segment that has been produced about what it takes to prepare a mountain for opening (snowmaking, grooming, patrol, etc.) George has his oven set up in front of the Clay Brook plaza and will be making Flatbread. The cast will be doing some interesting and fun things on the snow, Al Roker will be patrolling outside for his weather segments. If the day is nice enought, Matt and Meredith will broadcast outside, and if not, inside Timbers. The best thing is to either show up tomorrow morning or watch TV to see what the final show is!

With respect to comments about capacity, the constraints are space in the lodges which will be addressed with the second lodge and likely some expansion of the Gate House. Ski areas depend upon 40 days in a season of 150 plus days to be successful. We do have to have paying guests on those days and that is when most people can ski and thus the larger crowds. Sugarbush does have the trail and lift capacity to handle 8,000 to 9,000 skiers and riders without making the experience like that of some others. Knowing where to go (like ME) on days like this do help a lot. There is rarely a long lift line on Castlerock, Heaven's Gate and North Lynx for example on the family Holidays. Gate House is usually the longest line and even that is
rarely more than 10-15 minutes at the worst.

In any crowd there will be rude people, but standing in the lift lines and wandering the lodges as I do, I find the vast majority of people who come here - including last weekend - to be nice and thankful guests. And most I speak to say the same thing!

gottdogg
02-20-2008, 12:19 PM
[Walks point on the capacity of the mountain on peak weekends wasn't based on lift lines, It was based on the capacity of Downspout and the capacity of the Gate house lodge. Yes the mountain can handle more skier visits distributed across the year. It does feel like the peak days are close to max. I'm now going to reprise my old advice on the lodge. PLEASE replace the plastic arm chairs with benches for the winter season. The capacity of that building will be increased by 50%. It will also feel more like a ski lodge.[/quote]

I agree with your points 100%. There is also no possible way to deal with the lodge on a Holiday weekend with little kids. The plastic chairs are ridiculous and take up way too much space. The lack of real bar and inability to obtain a beer upstairs is devastating to me. Climbing up the hill with a 2 year old is not really viable and neither is Timbers.

As for the crowds and attitude, most weekends there is no issue. I ski almost every weekend at Sugarbush and rarely have problems. In fact, the opposite is true -- people at sugarbush are typically polite and helpful. I was not up there this weekend because I have a 6, 4 and 2 year old, all of whom are in various stages of learning to ski. There is no way that I would take the kids up to endure the holiday weekend madness. A couple of Sunday's ago, my four year old got clipped and luckily avoided injury by a snowboarder coming out of the woods onto Sleeper Road. Talk about pissed off. I had to restrain myself from delivering a beating. This was an eyeopener and made me decide to stay away until next week.

Without meaning to complain, South also lacks any real quantitity of beginner terrain. While I enjoy it most of the time, it just does not ski well for beginners and newbies to the mountain during Holiday crowds. Heading to north is not really an option when the 2 year old is with me. In short, the problems with South are glaring on Holiday weekends -- not enough lodge space, overcrowding on certain key trails, and for me, lack of options/ease of logistics for beginning skiers. A lot of this is probably true at many mountains on holiday weekends.

Having said all this, I believe that Win and his team will address the lodge/children's issues as development continues. I am happy for Win and the community and hope the Today Show brings the right type of exposure to the mountain. Hopefully, the masses will have enjoyed their time and spent a lot of money so that we can all enjoy the Bush and all it has to offer, relatively crowd free on other weekends and weekdays. The Valley and local busineesses could use the boost. I just wish there was a regulars only policy with respect to Slidebrook. Enjoy.

mikec13
02-20-2008, 01:01 PM
Fortunately I have had limited experience with rude people at Sugarbush but since it is so out of charachter with my "normal" experiences at Sugarbush they do seem to stand out...I think Win and Co have done a good job in trying to preserve the traditional vibe and feel of Sugarbush while expanding the resort...i think it is incumbent on the employees and the regulars to help communicate and teach the "new people" what "flys at Sugarbush and what doesn't"...it seems to me that it might help to have more ambassador presence on mountain during these busy periods...they do a nice job welcoming people but I seldom see them on mountain...boosting the number of Blue jackets to help educate people I think would go a long way...I bet half the people on this board would don a blue jacket during the busy weekends, still be able to ski their usual spots and "assist" people in understanding the Sugarbush way.

ski_resort_observer
02-20-2008, 01:56 PM
Saw a camera crew in Warren Village this morning when I picked up my mail, wonder if we will see noski when I watch the show tomorrow morning from the comfort of my living room. That would be cool! Mother nature seems to be trying to lay down a fresh coat of the whitestuff, just a couple of inches would be great, to cover up the dirty stuff.

Go Figure
02-20-2008, 08:40 PM
The Today Show is here because this was the only large resort not booked for the holiday week!
The increase in skiers and their increased rudeness in the result of turning the Sugarbush Inn into a low rent Bus Depot. Notice how many buses
are around on the weekend, filling the lodge and mountain with riff raff.Lower the ticket price to $63 and get more Quality day skiers.
How about a segment on all of the Restaurants for sale, maybe shake a buyer out of the tree.
When the destination wedding fad is over the final nail will be driven.

ski_resort_observer
02-20-2008, 10:04 PM
The Today Show is here because this was the only large resort not booked for the holiday week!
The increase in skiers and their increased rudeness in the result of turning the Sugarbush Inn into a low rent Bus Depot. Notice how many buses are around on the weekend, filling the lodge and mountain with riff raff.Lower the ticket price to $63 and get more Quality day skiers.
How about a segment on all of the Restaurants for sale, maybe shake a buyer out of the tree.

If you think the Bush gets alot of buses then obviously you haven't been to other resorts. The bus parking lot, after they have dropped off their skiers/riders, is across the road from the Sugarbush Inn. How about a segment on the new restaurants in the valley. Word in the valley is that Big World is going to take over the Bass/Country Flair restaurant and open an italian restaurant.

I think it's easy to say that the restaurants closing was a sign of a poor valley economy. If you knew the situations surrounding the closing of each restaurant you would know that several closed for a variety of reasons.

While there is always going to be a few rude stressed quests I saw more folks this past busy weekend excited to be at the Bush, several skiing/riding at the Bush for the first time. I delt with way more nice friendly guests then rude ones.

Apologize for the "atta boy" post but I call them as I see them. Looking forward to watching our hill, our valley and Vermont presented before a national audience for a variety of reasons.

MntMan4Bush
02-21-2008, 09:23 AM
I do have to say that I feel in general we are lucky at Sugarbush with regard to crowds. Win says that they make money on 40 days of the year, but I really feel we only feel the crunch on perhaps 10 days. A small price to pay for the relatively tranquility we have for the rest of the season. Wifey and I and some friends are heading to Utah next week and we figure that when we get back we'll have the mountain to ourselves again for the rest of the season. Not too bad.

The issue is when lifts go down. It seems that every big weekend a lift is going down. We went to North on Saturday, which was presumably the better idea. However I heard that Saturday the crowds weren't too bad at South and over at North the North Ridge chair went down. Without that chair the mountain is useless for me. Upper FIS was skiing great, but it's such a short run. I like doing laps on Exterminator/Bravo to Encore/Tumbler or Cliffs. Thats some sustained vertical of bumps that get the legs shaking like Jessica Simpson before an IQ test. On Sunday we went to South because the North Ridge was still down. The lines were rough in the beginning. Even HG was stacked. So we figured a run up to North Lynx when all of a sudden that went down as we skated up. I know. I know. I'll get the wind hold story, but it's a fixed grip. Don't those handle wind better. My buddy was saying at other mountains they sometimes just make sure singles don't ride up alone on windy days. In any case as frustrating as that was we skated up to Castle Rock, got good pole position and beat the crowd. However the line filled in pretty densely behind us back to the bridge. The reason why?? The HG Chair was also down. Now fortunately we're patient. We did one run on CR and took the connector over to HG and it had just re-opened. We had it all to ourselves the rest of the day because most people had packed it in.

I guess my point is that generally the crowds aren't bad, but I feel more attention needs to be spent on maintenance. At the beginning of the season with the lifts down (North Ridge, North Lynx, SBX) for parts or software what is being done on a preventative measure and can more be done so the mountain is proactive instead of reactive. Don't get me wrong. When something goes down the Lift Ops do a great job jumping in and trying to fix it, but how often is maintenance done to stop it from happening in the first place? I'd rather have all the lifts working all the time then more elbow space in the cafe. When its a wind hold situation safety comes first of course. Won't/Can't argue that. However are there ways like no singles only on a chair and things like that which could be used to mitigate the issue. I mean the NL chair is pretty sheltered unless the wind comes right up over the top and it is fixed grip.

Oh and before you start. I know. I know. I'm a horrible complainer. I never have fun. The snow wasn't great and that wasn't a huge smile on my face the entire weekend despite the horrific ordeals I had to endure. 8) Try checking out the Killington forums to see what real complainers and mountain trashing look like. This is just one guys humble opinion.

ski_resort_observer
02-21-2008, 09:27 AM
Wow..that was really awesome! I think it comes back on at 10AM.

Egan was great and I am sure the newest technical ski jacket aspect everyone will be asking about will be the "armpit vents".

Matt Lauer looks like a decent skier, at least in that segment where he and Win went moonlight skiing.

There were a few obvious gaffs but that just added to the fun of watching.

Will looked great but I think they should have left Hannah Teter out of that segment. Will is an awesome rider with international creds.

I am sure Hammond is going to be taking good natured jabs over the intro on him for months to come. It was a nice piece on MO. Overall it was fun to watch and the crowds looked like they were having fun.

skiladi
02-21-2008, 10:09 AM
Wow..that was really awesome! I think it comes back on at 10AM.

Egan was great and I am sure the newest technical ski jacket aspect everyone will be asking about will be the "armpit vents". There were a few obvious gaffs but that just added to the fun of watching.

Matt Lauer looks like a decent skier, at least in that segment where he and Win went moonlight skiing.

I am sure Hammond is going to be taking good natured jabs over the intro on him for months to come. It was a nice piece on MO. Overall it was fun to watch and the crowds looked like they were having fun.

I'm already on hour 3 as I get the Maine channel 6 here in NH. Win , John E. , John H. and Shawn were all very photogenic. The show has its usual "fluff" , having to fill 4 hours but Sugarbush looks great. But will someone please throw a snowball at that Travel Lady!!? Sunday River midweek specials , Cranapalooza , spa resorts out west?? Geez louise. :x

CapeSkiGuy
02-21-2008, 11:08 AM
Agreed! Samantha Brown talked about Sunday River?!? Thanks a lot, Samantha... I hope somebody straightened her out once that segment was over. She should have stuck to talking about packing her suitcases. All this media attention and she gives a free plug to a resort that is our direct competition. Cranmore, too! I know it is good for the industry in general, but jeeeeez!

Hardbooter
02-21-2008, 01:03 PM
OK, I've now got four hours of Today Show on my tivo and about an hour this evening to catch the best of it. Any suggestions on parts I should see? What hour(s) were the best parts in?

heath1230
02-21-2008, 01:34 PM
The increase in skiers and their increased rudeness in the result of turning the Sugarbush Inn into a low rent Bus Depot. Notice how many buses
are around on the weekend, filling the lodge and mountain with riff raff.Lower the ticket price to $63 and get more Quality day skiers.

What a snob? Riff Raff...are you kidding me? Are you stuck in the 50's? You must be an out-of-stater whose relocated to the MRV. The Today Show came because this valley has a lot to offer visitors to Vermont. Vermont is a tourism based state...we need these people. And FYI...there are hundreds of people who want to stay at the inn. Pam and her staff do an excellent job...who the hell do you think you are to insult the inn. The inn has been there longer than most and it will continue to welcome those of us who can't afford to stay other places.

You sound like you might need some counseling for your negative outlook on life...if you don't like it here leave.

win
02-21-2008, 01:45 PM
After a wonderful day for Sugarbush, The Valley and Vermont with The Today Show, I really did not want to respond to Go Figures, but I need to on a few points. We were entirely booked for the Holidays, and Clay Brook has been almost so since Christmas. Many of the owners allowed us to use their space for the NBC crew. The Today Show looked at a number of resorts and in their site visits and thought the look and feel of Sugarbush was the best for the show! The loved the look of Timbers and Clay Brook, and the beauty of the Mountain and the Valley.

I have already responded to the restaurant issue in the past but the key issue is to ask why places like Millbrook, The Common Man. The Hyde Away, Egan's, Flatbread and Chez Henri for instance have been around for so long and why newer ones like The Pitcher Inn, Sweetwood, Easy Street,, 1824, The Big Picture Cafe and now Timbers for instance are doing well. Businesses fail for many reasons and people sell businesses for many reasons. This Valley is on the upswing and the best idicator is to compare real estate values five years ago and values today. It seems that many people want to be here!

As far as buses go, there are hardly many more buses here than in past years and most ski resorts welcome them. They actually represent a small percentage of the skier and riders here during the course of the year. I also think any group generalization is small minded. Most of the young adults who come here are hardly " riff raff", are well behaved and thrilled to have an outing skiing and riding.

The biggest complaint I heard this week was from one passholder complaining about an "elderly passholder" man skiing too fast and to close to this person.

The final point I would make is that the Today Show team loved their stay here, and many want to come back on their own time. They also to a person commented on how nice and welcoming everyone was here and how beautiful the Resort and the Valley is.

This was a great day for Sugarbush, for The Mad River Valley and for Vermont!

thedisemboweler
02-21-2008, 02:17 PM
After a wonderful day for Sugarbush, The Valley and Vermont with The Today Show, I really did not want to respond to Go Figures, but I need to on a few points. We were entirely booked for the Holidays, and Clay Brook has been almost so since Christmas. Many of the owners allowed us to use their space for the NBC crew. The Today Show looked at a number of resorts and in their site visits and thought the look and feel of Sugarbush was the best for the show! The loved the look of Timbers and Clay Brook, and the beauty of the Mountain and the Valley.

I have already responded to the restaurant issue in the past but the key issue is to ask why places like Millbrook, The Common Man. The Hyde Away, Egan's, Flatbread and Chez Henri for instance have been around for so long and why newer ones like The Pitcher Inn, Sweetwood, Easy Street,, 1824, The Big Picture Cafe and now Timbers for instance are doing well. Businesses fail for many reasons and people sell businesses for many reasons. This Valley is on the upswing and the best idicator is to compare real estate values five years ago and values today. It seems that many people want to be here!

As far as buses go, there are hardly many more buses here than in past years and most ski resorts welcome them. They actually represent a small percentage of the skier and riders here during the course of the year. I also think any group generalization is small minded. Most of the young adults who come here are hardly " riff raff", are well behaved and thrilled to have an outing skiing and riding.

The biggest complaint I heard this week was from one passholder complaining about an "elderly passholder" man skiing too fast and to close to this person.

The final point I would make is that the Today Show team loved their stay here, and many want to come back on their own time. They also to a person commented on how nice and welcoming everyone was here and how beautiful the Resort and the Valley is.

This was a great day for Sugarbush, for The Mad River Valley and for Vermont!

congrats to you, win....ive only been to sb once 10+ years ago but have great memories of the day....im happy for you, sb, the resort & all the people....

Treeskier
02-21-2008, 02:49 PM
I watch all of the show. We really looked good. While the today show staff did their own stupid people tricks. We looked very professional! Hats off to everyone! The businesses who had cameo spots also accented our "Vermont/Sugarbush/Mad River Valley Spirit and Flavor" I had hoped to be there but a bad cold kept me in. It was nice to see from the TV point of view that Gatehouse sounded good. Funny I would have thought they would have had Grace Potter sing.....(she is probably not in the valley)

Now back to my snow dance and hopefully we can pull the coastal storm more North Friday into Saturday!

jkvt
02-21-2008, 03:46 PM

Interesting...and where did you get your information about why the Today show choose Sugarbush over other resorts? The voices in your head telling you it is so?

How do you figure that lowering ticket prices will increase the "quality" of people skiing? Although I would love to see prices lower in general your comment makes no sense.

As for restaurants...it is a shame that there are three of them up for sale. Although one that closed the owners are now running another in The Valley and one closed because the owner had had enough of the business. While that is a shame at least two more opened up The Green Cup and the Spotted Cow, both offering great food. And a new deli has opened up in The Sugarbush Village. Along with that The Phoenix bar is now delivering. So while there are restaurants for sale it hardly tells the whole story of restaurants in The Valley.

Your whole post wreaks of a giant troll and being a CIT (Curmudgeon In Training) I would know 8)

jkvt

HowieT2
02-21-2008, 05:36 PM
I was waiting to pick up my son this afternoon at the alc with Boze and we ran into Win. It was heartening to see everything go off so well, especially for Win, who obviously puts his heart and soul into SB. I like to get to the mtn early when my parenting/work duties permit, and there isn't a day I don't see Win there. I'm sure we don't know half of what a huge undertaking the show was for the entire staff. Today was a huge deal and the benefits will accrue for years.

As for the complaining. I think this board has some very thoughtful posters who truly care for the welfare of SB (BTW I agree the plastic arm chairs should go). Voicing criticisms and suggestions are invaluable for making improvements. And for those who don't like the riff raff, well... it's a free country and you're free to find someplace where only your kind of people are allowed.

atkinson
02-21-2008, 07:25 PM
Win wrote, "The biggest complaint I heard this week was from one passholder complaining about an 'elderly passholder' man skiing too fast and too close to this person."

Egan says he's sorry, but can't promise that it won't happen again. ;)

John

p.s. Guess who's turning 50 this year? Not just Sugarbush!

Lostone
02-21-2008, 08:17 PM
I had some guests up, the last few days. They had made their plans in December. When I found out the show was coming here, I sent them an email saying to guess who else would be here, when they were here. When they found out, they weren't happy. They were thrilled!

They had to get up and start watching the show, before going over for their last ski day. Then they stopped to get tickets and proceeded to the scene of the mob.

It was quite the event. They'll be telling people about it for years. Great PR for the mountain and the valley! Congrats to all who pulled together to pull it off!

shadyjay
02-21-2008, 08:50 PM
Just finished watching the copy that my computer recorded for me while I was at work...
what a great day they had, great atmosphere, and the perfect mountain to do it all at. Seeing as it was as cold as it was, I was surprised that most of the segments were outdoors. Funny how what I always thought was a news-oriented morning show was 95% fun, with 5% news, but thats probably because they were "out of town". Also funny to see people I know on there (Shawn the bartender, Win, others), and Tom and the WPTZ crew remarking when Al says "now the weather in your neck of the woods", for this one day, Al, your neck of the woods is the same as ours! Everyone seemed to be having a great time, despite the mic problems.

:D Now someone please tell me where do I sign up for moonlight snowboarding? I wonder if people are going to start calling the 'Bush asking about it!

Thumbs up to everyone involved - a great production. Really put us "on the map" and presented us in quite the positive light, even with the plugs for NH resorts, Alaska, and out west, during the Travel section.

Last Tracks
02-21-2008, 09:09 PM
I skied last Sunday. Showed up at LP at noon. Found a spot right in front of claybrook. One of the mini changing rooms in the lodge was free so no problem there. Waited in line for 10 minutes on super bravo. Then skied Heaven's gate and castlerock the rest of the afternoon without any lines to speak of. There was still lots of powder and no people in in paradise, the poop chute, and other spots. Skied right till 4 and by then the locker room was empty. Eliza got me a beer right away in the bar. I've been skiing at the bush for 30 years and it seems to be doing better now than ever before. The biggest thing I've noticed in the last 2 years is that the employees and staff really seem to care if you are enjoying yourself. That and the $3.50 PBR in cans at the bar!

skiladi
02-21-2008, 09:49 PM
Win wrote, "The biggest complaint I heard this week was from one passholder complaining about an 'elderly passholder' man skiing too fast and too close to this person."

John

LOL. I hope I'm invited to the party! ; }

ski_resort_observer
02-21-2008, 10:32 PM
Welcome to forum Last Tracks. :D

jkvt
02-22-2008, 09:23 AM

John

Hehehe...despite the graying around the fringes you would never know it.

So if he is turning 50 that means I am...{yikes} Don't want to think about it.

jkvt

gone.skiing
02-22-2008, 07:12 PM
Rare barkbiter sighting?

http://www.biglines.com/photosv2/2008/02/120x120/biglines_82463.jpg

notorious
02-22-2008, 10:26 PM
Doesn't need skis. Check out the foot size.

shadyjay
02-24-2008, 06:46 PM
Regarding the Today show at Sugarbush..........

If anyone is interested in a copy of the production, minus commercials and news, contact me. I have just finished splicing n' dicing and am offering up copies to those interested in DVD format. Its not 100% perfect, but I managed to cut the commercials mostly at the right time, retaining all weather segments with Al and WPTZ (who was live at the mtn) plus all other segments (except Ann's news desk).

BTW, this is a FREE service I am providing. This is your chance to own this unique piece of Sugarbush history!

shadyjay
02-25-2008, 08:36 PM
rem

02-26-2008, 08:51 AM
Appears to be a Yeti in Snowboarder clothing....
Heard rumor there's a sizable bounty for his capture.

If BB sees his shadow, does it mean 6 more months of winter?

Rare barkbiter sighting?

http://www.biglines.com/photosv2/2008/02/120x120/biglines_82463.jpg

Treehugger
02-26-2008, 10:19 AM
:shock: Someone please tell me he is kidding.

Noski, any immediate increase in tourist activity since today show?

Thanks

Hawk
02-26-2008, 10:28 AM
[quote="007"]Appears to be a Yeti in Snowboarder clothing....
Heard rumor there's a sizable bounty for his capture.

If BB sees his shadow, does it mean 6 more months of winter?quote]

That's not BB Mr. Bond. Just a fan. Anyway maybe I will have a sighting this Friday in the woods. Will I see you? :wink:

noski
02-26-2008, 11:09 AM
:shock: Someone please tell me he is kidding.

Noski, any immediate increase in tourist activity since today show?

Thanks Thank you for the redirect. As noted earlier, I was out all day with The Learning Channel on another Valley-based television program episode so missed the whole event. I did speak with Burr Morse at Morse Maple and he got several calls (with at least 4 directed from calls we got) for maple syrup, and he didn't know the Today show was even in the state. We had a couple dozen email requests for Visitor Guides, and they are still trickling in. Anecdotally, several people have remarked that friends and family all over the US were pleasantly surprised when they tuned in. It was a huge PR boost that will have legs for quite a while.

Strat
02-26-2008, 10:07 PM
Word in the valley is that Big World is going to take over the Bass/Country Flair restaurant and open an italian restaurant.

Word from whom? I find that really hard to believe... Bernie has his hands full with Egan's, haha...

Treehugger
02-27-2008, 07:19 AM
Word in the valley is that Big World is going to take over the Bass/Country Flair restaurant and open an italian restaurant.

Word from whom? I find that really hard to believe... Bernie has his hands full with Egan's, haha...

He's not gonna do it himself. Why don't ya ask him?

Strat
02-27-2008, 10:34 PM

Who are you?

Treehugger
02-28-2008, 11:18 AM

Who are you?

This is the Central Scrutinizer...

Plowboy
02-28-2008, 03:21 PM

Who are you?

you'll love it...it's a way of life...Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha...Hi, it's me, I'm back

Strat
02-28-2008, 05:26 PM

Who are you?

Now I'm really confused, haha...

noski
02-29-2008, 08:27 AM
google Frank Zappa's Joe's Garage rock opera (?) (ah, the good ol' days)

freeheel_skier
02-29-2008, 08:33 AM

Go to you tube & watch the crossfire video. I got a laugh! :lol:

Strat
02-29-2008, 07:47 PM
Well I was able to do the googlage... maybe I'm just assuming that Treehugger knows I work at Egan's and he doesn't in fact? I have mentioned it before I suppose...

Treehugger
03-01-2008, 01:05 AM
Well I was able to do the googlage... maybe I'm just assuming that Treehugger knows I work at Egan's and he doesn't in fact? I have mentioned it before I suppose...

I know from your posts that you work at Egan's. That's why I said to ask Bernie. I wouldn't make the comment if I didn't know. I'm not into gossip. The Central Scrutinizer bit had nothing to do with anything. Just seemed like a funny response to your "who are you". Did you listen to a couple Zappa tunes? The man is a genius.

Strat
03-01-2008, 06:53 PM

I know from your posts that you work at Egan's. That's why I said to ask Bernie. I wouldn't make the comment if I didn't know. I'm not into gossip. The Central Scrutinizer bit had nothing to do with anything. Just seemed like a funny response to your "who are you". Did you listen to a couple Zappa tunes? The man is a genius.
Alrighty, glad to clear it up then... good memory then. I have never really listened to Zappa but at some point I should definitely embark on that musical adventure...

8)

ski_resort_observer
03-01-2008, 08:07 PM
Since this thread has gone way off track what's alittle further. The short version....1972 I worked for a concert production company near Brattleboro, Putney Folk.....had a Youngbloods concert set for Windham College.....band cancels due to illness......Frank Zappa agrees to come up from Boston and I picked him and the two guys who used to be members of the Turtles up at the Keene airport in a blizzard...what a strange trip that was!

Treehugger
03-02-2008, 11:55 AM

Alrighty, glad to clear it up then... good memory then. I have never really listened to Zappa but at some point I should definitely embark on that musical adventure...

8)

Yeah,so, I know and work with business people in the Valley and hear lots about the economics and and all that good (or bad)stuff.