PDA

View Full Version : V-Day '08: Memories of '07 ... and a Win spotting?

shadyjay
02-14-2008, 09:58 PM
Despite talking it up to my friends, they failed to call me in time to engage in $14 day so at 8:30 I was off to Lincoln Peak and hit the Gate House by 9:25. Did about 3 runs from the top, down, before engaging in a couple runs down Birch Run where it was superb. Half was groomed - half not, so I stayed in the groomed. Snow was manageable and the visibility was perfect. Not a cloud in the sky. Then headed over to the Bravo side - groomed trails were a lot more hard packed - espec Lower Organgrinder and Murphys, plus the usual Domino Chute. Downspout wasn't bad. Upper Jester was supreme, and I thought about tackling Upper Organgrinder but wasn't sure of the snow - it looked nice, but looks can be deceiving. After burning my legs on the lower Bravo right side, I tried the left, and had a nice time on Snowball and Racer's. Hit the 'Rock Pub at 1 and had a few drinks - very crowded in there today. Then came back out for a few more runs on the Gate House before pulling the plug around 2. Cresting Duxbury Hill on the way home, my V-mail went off and apparently my friends did go to the mtn, but didn't show up until Noon and only took 5 runs. Kinda ticked me off a bit, but I wasn't waiting until noon to ride.

Win - was that you I saw on Upper Jester at around 12:30 or so? VT North vest and the full black suit - didn't see any nametag. I waved and you waved back. You guys are tough to keep up with - good thing you stopped at the Jester/Allyn's junction.

Phrase of the day:
Great snow this season, and a great day, but not as great as '07 .... but at least we got a base this year!!!

A good day all around... trip report and some beautiful pix won't be posted till next week.

Lostone
02-14-2008, 10:50 PM
Good thing you got there early. We were parking in E lot by 10:30.

But when I got up to Gatehouse, I wondered where everyone had gone to. There were a lot of people there, but no real crowds. Even when Gatehouse went down, there were no real lines at Bravo.

As for Organgrinder, word is you blew it. I didn't go up there, but all who did said that it was all very good. Seems that Heaven's Gate never had the changeover, yesterday. Everyone said the snow was great. They also said Castlerock was great, but didn't hear whether that was because it didn't get the changeover, or that the snow just handled it better.

That was the case with Eden. That was my pick of the day. The snow did get hit by the changeover, but it was a lightly crusted snow, which was very good, and skied very well, when it was broken up.

Everyone seemed to say they had a great time. Let's hope we get something good from tonight and Tomorrow.

win
02-15-2008, 03:30 PM
Black suit yes, VT north vest no! Could you have mistaken me for Egan? It that was Egan and you thought it was me, you have made my day!

shadyjay
02-15-2008, 08:32 PM
Yes, Win, I did think it was you. So I guess I did make your weekend. Whoever it was, I waved and they waved back.
They were skiing quite fast and with a group of people, so I figured it must be someone who is a regular pro. It may have been Egan - don't know his get-up nor have I met him. I just saw the black suit and the goggles looked familiar and thought it was you.

Have a great holiday weekend/week - I'll be back next weekend.

thedisemboweler
02-19-2008, 09:26 AM
Black suit yes, VT north vest no! Could you have mistaken me for Egan? It that was Egan and you thought it was me, you have made my day!

why no pink suit? :-) Pink is the new black....it's easy to find me at k if it's not too cold. Pink jacket, white pants & now my new pink helmet i bought last week.

barkbiter
02-19-2008, 02:00 PM
Yes, Win, I did think it was you. So I guess I did make your weekend. Whoever it was, I waved and they waved back.
They were skiing quite fast and with a group of people, so I figured it must be someone who is a regular pro. It may have been Egan - don't know his get-up nor have I met him. I just saw the black suit and the goggles looked familiar and thought it was you.

Have a great holiday weekend/week - I'll be back next weekend.

OMG.........how can you be a Bush regular and not have met Egan...............or taken a lesson from him ? Don't go through life anymore without taking advantage of something special, take a lesson with John Egan, one of the best skiers ever, and quite a character at that. Ask him to to tell you stories of the old days, the price of the lesson will be worth just that. Sugarbush is lucky to have him in residence.

He's easy to spot on the mountain; the little fella flying down the hill way faster then everybody else!

(but even he doesn't know who the barkbiter is)

Lostone
02-19-2008, 03:39 PM
I'm not sure he always knows who John Egan is. :wink:

:lol:

shadyjay
02-19-2008, 07:32 PM
I know who he is - just don't think I've seen him on the slopes... maybe I have. He must be one of those crazies on two planks :D
Seeing as how I'm a one-planker, don't think give lessons to me he would :(

skibum1321
02-19-2008, 07:34 PM
I don't know how much value a snowboarder would get from a lesson with Egan...

gone.skiing
02-20-2008, 09:26 PM
I don't know how much value a snowboarder would get from a lesson with Egan...

You would be very surprised. Your instrument of choice on the slopes is secondary to the overall experience. Anyone who has spent any time with John on the snow especially at Sugarbush will tell you that.