PDA

View Full Version : Dynastar

SKIQUATTRO
02-11-2008, 10:00 AM
quick question...seems like Dynastar is the official ski of SB...I'm looking at either: (adding to the quiver)

Dynastar Big Trouble 186cm
Dynastar 8800 168cm

I'm 5'10" 185-190 expert...currently skiing Atomic M10 (78 underfoot) If I was to get 1 more ski for pow days/all mtn, what would yo suggest??

Yard Sale
02-11-2008, 10:15 AM
I just demo'd the Salomon X Wing Sandstorm for Sat and Sun this past weekend. I Liked 'em. I liked 'em alot. 96 mm underfoot at 173cm. Good stability at speed Light, lively and very quick for a gurthy waist. Nimble in the bumps, trees good edge hold on the packed and even the ice. I'm also looking to add a fatter board to the quiver and this one is defintely in the running for me.

atkinson
02-11-2008, 01:39 PM
There is only one ... the Legend Pro XXL. Next year it will come in 187cm too. I know it seems like a ton of ski, but it will blow you away with a ton of fun! I got an early pair of the 187's and haven't looked back, even on the firm days a few weeks ago.

John

jwt
02-11-2008, 01:43 PM
bums I ski with swear by those Salomon's and as evidenced by their 'up a notch' skiing since having them under foot says a lot, they are both experts, like trees, steeps, bumps, and of course, all the powder they can farm.
You might consider the newest model in the K2 family though. . . . . I ski the Recon's and although not fat under foot ( I like to sink as much as I can in powder - too much underfoot and I stay on top - I want waist deep and face shots if the depth is there, right?) these skis perform well in almost everything. even the rare 30-40 MPH cruising on hardpack.
Skiing 178cm.
Think they are wood core too - like that a lot - light ( not as light as those Salomons - I think they are the lightest ski on market outside of Goode carbon fiber which come in at 900 grams! I loved them - but they lasted 7 days 2 years ago in the East.

Hawk
02-11-2008, 07:14 PM
quick question...seems like Dynastar is the official ski of SB...

Amazing what junk people will buy with their pro-form..... :wink:

K2-PE Baby. 8)

ahm
02-11-2008, 09:16 PM
The dynastar is a throw away board.............. K2 Made'n AKs: 108 mm under the foot. Kinda like Morrison vs Nobis. Come on John, just say no to Dynastar.......... Or if you want the ultimate just take out a pr of Stockli Scot Schmidts: 186 cm & 91 mm under the foot. The made'n is on its way to BC next week along with my Prior Originals.
http://www.postimage.org/aVV7srS.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aVV7srS)

freeheel_skier
02-11-2008, 11:01 PM
Move to Misc.

I like these in the stiff version.....VERY NICE!

http://pmgear.com/product_info.php?cPath=52&products_id=85

atkinson
02-12-2008, 10:21 AM
Throwaway, that's funny. Egan's office is filled with Dynastars that he continues to ski. And last I checked, he isn't easy on his gear.

Lots of companies make great skis. SkiQuattro was asking about Dynastars.

Big dump coming!

John

gone.skiing
02-12-2008, 11:26 AM
Whatever you do, don't demo Legend Pro or Pro XXL on days like last weekend or this coming weekend... or be ready to buy them that afternoon. There is no other outcome for demoing them on a soft snow day.

SKIQUATTRO
02-12-2008, 12:33 PM
since my current ski is 74 underfoot....would you think it'd be better to have my 2nd ski be the 8800 (88 underfoot) or jump to like a Sugar Daddy at 99 underfoot....I ski 99% east coast (SB, MRG, Smuggs, K etc) what would be the best choice? I can grab the 8800 w/ bindings for like $200....or the Sugar Daddies for $500...

arc1
02-12-2008, 12:39 PM
If you're looking for an 88 underfoot you should also try the monster 88's. I demoed a bunch of stuff and found these by far the most fun and versatile, and they have a great turn radius for a midfat. But that's just me...

Hawk
02-12-2008, 12:58 PM
As Yoda might say,"Skis do not a skier make" :wink: ....Egan is a bad example for ski selection. I am sure he does not pay the same price we would and he can carve perfect turns on two 2x4's nailed to the botton his work boots. That being said, there are all kinds of skiers with all kinds of styles.

Skiquattro, my advice is go demo both. You might find that your individual style favors one or the other.

Now go RIP IT UP! 8)

arc1
02-12-2008, 01:27 PM
If you're looking for an 88 underfoot you should also try the monster 88's. I demoed a bunch of stuff and found these by far the most fun and versatile, and they have a great turn radius for a midfat. But that's just me...

02-12-2008, 08:59 PM
Dynastar, they're a little better than 2x4s, and they are preferred by ski professionals 3-1 over other brands!

ski_resort_observer
02-13-2008, 08:32 AM
Didn't Dynastar have a facility or DC up in Burlington? I remember working with a guy about 11 years ago @ the Bush and he worked for Dynastar up in Burlington but don't remember what he did or what the company did up there.

noski
02-13-2008, 09:11 AM
Didn't Dynastar have a facility or DC up in Burlington? I remember working with a guy about 11 years ago @ the Bush and he worked for Dynastar up in Burlington but don't remember what he did or what the company did up there.
Good memory, SRO. They had a production facility up on Industrial Ave in Williston. I actually went into the production area several times, it was loud, bright and really cool.

atkinson
02-13-2008, 11:40 AM
Hawk,

You make the case for Dynastar with your arguments. According to you, the price Egan pays for the skis would make them easier to throw away, but he doesn't. He could also get skis from any company, but chooses Dynastar.

As for his ability to carve a 2x4, this comes from his construction background, not his skiing background. Again, even though he could excel on junk skis, he chooses not to.

Demo like crazy, but be prepared for some changes in your skiing if you pick one of the good wider rides. Like being able to ignore almost every obstacle on the hill.

John

ski_resort_observer
02-13-2008, 12:04 PM
Good memory, SRO. They had a production facility up on Industrial Ave in Williston. I actually went into the production area several times, it was loud, bright and really cool.

Thanks noski...appreciate ya filling in the gaps from your seemingly unending supply of regional factoids. :D I know...it's your job :wink:

skibum1321
02-13-2008, 01:11 PM

Dynastar and Rossi were up there for years until they packed up and headed to Utah a couple of years ago.

My past 2 pairs of skis (before my current Mantras) were the Legend 8000 and the Intuitiv 74. Dynastar makes some great skis and I was very close to getting the Legend Pros this time around. So far I'm loving the Mantra though.

Hawk
02-14-2008, 07:32 AM
John, I guess I was just stirring the pot a little. :wink: Point is that most people are brand loyal. You guys certainly are. I tried several of the Dynastar models that came up here and found them not to suit me. While good in powder they did not cut it in quickness edge to edge in the bumps. I was looking for a good compromise and came up with K2. The point was that people differ wildly in style and ability. You will never truly know what’s best for you until you try lots of skis. Listening to a recommendation on the website is a good start but is not the way to determine which ski to buy.

Also my argument was not that Dynastar is a throw away ski. I would not throw a $600 ski away. What I was saying is that, and correct me if I'm wrong but Egan is sponsored by Dynastar right? Or if not sponsored then a very nice pro-form deal. If I had that deal I would reconsider trying them again. At least for a powder ski. Right now I am getting K2 Public Enemys for $259. They ski freestyle bumps as good as a straight ski. They also are wide enough that they do well in Pow and Crud. One other thing that I found as a side benefit is that they were build for the parks. That means that they are bomb-proof with a wood core and thicker edges to withstand the rails in parks. Now I have taken them down Castlerock a hundred times with reckless abandon in early and late season and have never blown an edge for destroyed them. Now that is a Bomb-Proof.

So, try lots of skis, demo, demo, demo and find the ski that fits you. Ski's are like Ladies....Do not take any man's word ...... 8)

freeheel_skier
02-14-2008, 11:46 AM
Ski's are like Ladies....Do not take any man's word ...... 8)

I like that analogy!