PDA

View Full Version : Lower FIS ???

shadyjay
02-08-2008, 08:03 PM
Just wondering about what everyone's take is on Lower FIS. I'm looking at the reports for Sat forecasted and they're saying its going to be groomed.
Is this a good run? Worth the traverse at the end? I can hike, that's not a big deal, unstrap if necessary.
How's the rest of the trail? Steep or a nice out-of-the-way seldom-tracked run?

skiladi
02-08-2008, 08:22 PM
Just wondering about what everyone's take is on Lower FIS. I'm looking at the reports for Sat forecasted and they're saying its going to be groomed.
Is this a good run? Worth the traverse at the end? I can hike, that's not a big deal, unstrap if necessary.
How's the rest of the trail? Steep or a nice out-of-the-way seldom-tracked run?

It is a nice out of the way run. If the run out is groomed you can ride most of the way out. I snowboarded there on a powder day a few seasons back and it was awesome but I brought my snowshoes for the hike out. Not necessary but I knew it would be deep. The trail is nice. Most times it is worth the effort.

Weezie
02-08-2008, 08:56 PM
Lower FIS/SpinOut were sweet today with natural snow. On the runnout, there was one open stream about 1/2 of the way through. You can enter the runnout full speed ahead. Stay to the right on the opening. It is a bit"over hill and dale", but it works.

shadyjay
02-08-2008, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the tips. Pretty sure I'm gonna hit it in the AM, along with Tumbler and hopefully Cliffs and Semi-Tough, and Brambles if its open.
With these trails, I'll have all of Mt Ellen's lower mountain done, but it'll be a cold day you know where before I tackle Upper FIS and the 'Diamond.

freeheel_skier
02-09-2008, 09:04 AM
definitely worth it....even with the run out. I usually do it as a last run of the day.

shadyjay
02-09-2008, 02:43 PM
Well, it was my 13th run of the day... flatted out and hiked a portion but it wasn't as bad as I had feared, or as bad as the trail map would have it seem.

A beautiful run - even with the walking. A nice quiet trek through the woods. Was surprised to pop out on Snowflake so quickly. I can see if it wasn't groomed, how it would be a PITA to get through the flats. If I stayed more to the left, I would have been okay, but the edges of the trail were 2'+ of powder. Also kicked Tumbler's behind, and had some more fun on The Cliffs. What a day. See trip report and pics at shadyjay.com later in the weekend.