PDA

View Full Version : Travel and ski conditions for 2/1

chuck
02-01-2008, 10:33 AM
Traveling this afternoon/night to the Bush from Jersey - monsooning in jersey right now (1030 am). Anyone have a bead on road conditions for late today/evening, and conditions for the Bush this weekend???

Taking the Thruway - Northway - 149 - 4 route.......

Yard Sale
02-01-2008, 10:47 AM
This might help for the VT portions. . .

http://www.511vt.com/default.asp?area=VT_statewide

HowieT2
02-01-2008, 11:16 AM
In northern westchester/hudson valley this morning it was icy. Kids school canceled. Should be a fun drive.

Powder Puff
02-01-2008, 11:33 AM
Yard Sale... that is a great web site. Thank you for the link. Hopefully things will be better by later tonight. I'm never a happy winter driver. :oops:

HowieT2
02-01-2008, 11:40 AM
someone up there want to "nowcast" the conditions in Warren so us flatlanders know what to expect. Looks like snow on Norm's cam.

gratefulskier
02-01-2008, 11:43 AM
It started snowing about 15 minutes ago in Randolph (exit 4). Right now, it's snowing hard, with light, fluffy snow.

But, the forecast calls for really nasty driving conditions by the end of the work day. We're supposed to see a rapid change from snow to accumulating sleet and then accumulating freezing rain.

GS

HowieT2
02-01-2008, 12:01 PM
It started snowing about 15 minutes ago in Randolph (exit 4). Right now, it's snowing hard, with light, fluffy snow.

But, the forecast calls for really nasty driving conditions by the end of the work day. We're supposed to see a rapid change from snow to accumulating sleet and then accumulating freezing rain.

GS

Bring it on! As long as there's fresh snow to ski tomorrow.

greenmtnboy
02-01-2008, 12:12 PM
Don't count on a lot of snow tomorrow. Heavy icing coming in this evening and tonight.

atkinson
02-01-2008, 12:42 PM
What are you a weather god, Steve? ;) Maybe ice, maybe snow. Currently hurking here at the mountain. Let's wait and see what happens.

John

p.s. I like to make up words by combining two other words, so hurking is hurling and puking. Try it you might like it. Hurking!

freeheel_skier
02-01-2008, 01:21 PM
Weather forecast on the tube says snow tapering off this afternoon and changing over to freezing rain. ANywhere from 1/4" to 1/2" of ice. Not good for roads or power lines. Snowing now still. Hopefully this is an all snow event and they blew the forecast again :wink:

gratefulskier
02-01-2008, 01:29 PM
After a quick 2" of snow, it's now turned to sleet in Randolph. The roads are getting slick. Hopefully things will be different at higher elevations.

GS

freeheel_skier
02-01-2008, 02:01 PM
Sleeting........

HowieT2
02-01-2008, 02:05 PM
Sleeting........

Bummer.

atkinson
02-01-2008, 03:20 PM
I can't speak for the future, but the sleet is piling up very nicely. The turns are great and getting greater. Just got Eden, Birdland, and the natural half-pipe. Sweet. Hopefully the warm air stays far enough aloft to keep everything frozen.

John

Lostone
02-01-2008, 06:36 PM
Skiing was great. Stayed snow until ≈ 1:30. Then it mixed with and slowly turned to sleet.

As John said, it kept the skiing great.

But driving...? Not so much. :(

They ended the Madbus early and the state sent workers home early.

Sleet is supposed to switch to freezing rain around midnight. On the good side, the change back is supposed to happen around 3:00. Earlier there was just an hour change, around 5:00.

Let's hope it comes back strong. :wink:

smootharc
02-01-2008, 10:02 PM
...alive. Not a fun drive. Not fun at all. I don't like green eggs and ham, Sam I am.

Begs the question.....what the h*#ll am I doing....thinking.....who am I ? Anyone with the answers....please have the voices in your head get in touch with the voices in my head.....

Jack Johnson and I are gonna chill now.

:wink:

HowieT2
02-01-2008, 11:55 PM
Got in. Drive took about half hour longer than usual. Roads were ok until manchester on 7. 100 had a good amount of accumulation but it wasn't slippery. West Hill road was interesting, but that's why they pay me the big bucks. Kids asleep.
Snowing now at the base with some sleet mixed in. Tomorrow should be fun.

djd66
02-02-2008, 07:29 AM
...alive. Not a fun drive. Not fun at all. I don't like green eggs and ham, Sam I am.

Begs the question.....what the h*#ll am I doing....thinking.....who am I ? Anyone with the answers....please have the voices in your head get in touch with the voices in my head.....

Jack Johnson and I are gonna chill now.

:wink:

"who am I, why am I here?" reminds me of Admiral Stockdale in the 92 debates.,.... My knuckles a a little white, glad to be here though. I was hanging out w/ my friend Jack last night too.

castlerock
02-02-2008, 08:06 AM
Piles of sleet all around, no evidence of freezing rain on the trees. Looks like the best case scenario.

Strat
02-02-2008, 09:59 AM
Roads were quite horrible last night... kudos to those who braved it and made it up... I was certainly surprised by the amount of business we had at Egan's (but considering the excellent job I did shoveling and salting the stairs and walkways I guess it's not so unexpected)...

freeheel_skier
02-02-2008, 09:25 PM
Conditions @ ME were pretty nice. Glad we missed the 1/4" to 1/2" of freezing crap.

Lostone
02-02-2008, 09:47 PM
Yeah... we dodged the bullet. :)

I was 3 turns into the day when I exclaimed, "Oh, this is nice!"

Just the right snow for the conditions, too! 8)

shadyjay
02-03-2008, 05:07 PM
Sat was one of my more interesting days out on the slopes. My cousin and friend made it up Fri night from their 40mph cruise up 91 and 89 from ct and we partied and ate, so that in the morning, though I woke up ready to go at 9, they weren't, and it wasn't until 12:15 when we made it to lincoln peak. They half-dayed it and I used my 3rd of 5 free L/P tix through the ME Plus pass. We headed up Gate House and were surprised to see Slide Brook running. Since my friend has never taken it, we indulged, and our first run was S/S at ME. GMX was running so we hopped on it, and the Summit was also running. Top of Rim Run was sheer ice (surprised? no) and it was windy and foggy, and cruised down Elbow and Cruiser before back to Lincoln Peak. Birch and Sleeper were fun, though the latter was crowded. Up the Bravo, Deathspout wasn't as bad as it could have been. My other cousin couldn't make it up so we ceremonially did his fav run, Jester - one of the switchbacks was a sheet of ice and a couple rocks showing :-( VH Traverse was interesting with some rollers, and a sheet of ice from the curve to just past the chair crossover. Snowball was fun, though my legs were hurting pretty good. Cruised down Racer's to the base, and had a beer at C'Rock before heading back to Waterbury. Not the best day, conditionwise, but had some fun with my cousin and my friend, and we partyied it up that night.
They thought conditions were good - then again, they're used to riding in the "flatlands". Had we been there at 9am, I'm sure we would have found more of the 8" they were claiming. It wasn't bad though, and we def had some laughs. Full trip report over at shadyjay.com by tomorrow pm, including pics.

As a side note, a lot of trails looked like sheets of ice from the lift, including Birdland, Murphys, Ripcord, and Black Diamond. A good 2-3 foot dumping will make things much better again. Soon enough I hope. And I'm happy - my IPOD fiasco since mid Nov is over, and I had tunes rockin' my head all day!

gratefulskier
02-04-2008, 09:03 AM
Some of those "sheets of ice" that people saw were actually quite fun to ski. Lower Birdland was a lot of fun this weekend. We made a game of it, trying to ski quietly, meaning on the snow instead of on the ice. The same was true of Morningstar yesterday and even Rumble. A few of the trees that I visited (Eden and Lew's) were surprisingly fun.

While more snow would be great, there was ample snow for turning this weekend, if you didn't insist on skiing the same line as everyone else.

GS

castlerock
02-04-2008, 10:56 AM
Saturday was fantastic, considering the alternative. The sleet filled in well. Trails were great in the morning and the lower angle woods were consistent all day. The steeper, popular woods got beaten up pretty well, but think about what it would have been like without the precip.

But one thing to note from today's Wasatch avy report:
Impressive storm, with very impressive snow totals before frontal passage and after. In the crosshairs of the strong southwesterly flow, the Park City, Provo, Ogden, and the upper reaches of Big Cottonwood Canyon raked in the early snowfall with totals now reaching 25-30” in Ogden and Provo, and 30-40” in upper BCC and the Park City mountains. Little Cottonwood sits at 33” for a storm total. Post frontal, most areas picked 5-10” overnight, with upper Little Cottonwood picking up 14”. Overnight densities are of the explosive 5% smoke-variety. Winds are 15-20mph from the northwest and mostly confined to the ridgelines. Temps plummeted again to the low single digits. Light, but sustained snowfall should continue for much of the day.

Please, give us a pattern change, please....

HowieT2
02-04-2008, 11:04 AM
Saturday was fantastic, considering the alternative. The sleet filled in well. Trails were great in the morning and the lower angle woods were consistent all day. The steeper, popular woods got beaten up pretty well, but think about what it would have been like without the precip.

But one thing to note from today's Wasatch avy report:
Impressive storm, with very impressive snow totals before frontal passage and after. In the crosshairs of the strong southwesterly flow, the Park City, Provo, Ogden, and the upper reaches of Big Cottonwood Canyon raked in the early snowfall with totals now reaching 25-30” in Ogden and Provo, and 30-40” in upper BCC and the Park City mountains. Little Cottonwood sits at 33” for a storm total. Post frontal, most areas picked 5-10” overnight, with upper Little Cottonwood picking up 14”. Overnight densities are of the explosive 5% smoke-variety. Winds are 15-20mph from the northwest and mostly confined to the ridgelines. Temps plummeted again to the low single digits. Light, but sustained snowfall should continue for much of the day.

Please, give us a pattern change, please....

What Utah is getting the last few weeks is insane. If we had 10% of that ...
That being said the conditions were good this weekend, even in the woods. No powder, but I good base. Any kind of help from mother nature we'll be good to go. The groomers are in excellent shape.

boze
02-05-2008, 06:04 PM
Friday drive up was borderline white knuckle in several spots. Very thankful to have had the Blizzaks on all 4 wheels. They made light work of the several inches of slush in MA on 91, then 75+ miles on 2-4" of packed snow from the MA/VT border into Warren via 91 / 89 / 107 / 100 (FD: I've no commercial interest in Bridgestone... :wink: ). Still really puzzled why the roads were in such crummy shape, it was not dumping 2-3" per hour and it was during the heart of the evening commute. Maybe MA & VT need to re-allocate their state's Homeland Security funds to more plows & maintenace crews?!

Anyway skied LP Sat arriving ~ 10am. Friday's 6-8" mixed in well and skied like creamy Spring corn. For most of the day you could pretty much get an edge anywhere on those gromers. Verrry nice, esp. given my partially torn MCL. By 2pm the ice cubes that lurked beneath the fresh stuff were showing their true NE colors - ice blue. Trees skied great, considering, incl those off Organgrinder, Jester, Paradise (far & near).

ME was Sunday's destination and had a blast over there as usual. Semi-tough & Walt's woods were is pretty good shape - no powder per se but plenty of creamy corn. Elbow to Lower Exterminator was great fun. Lather Rinse Repeat kind of great. My 10 yr old and his buddy reported Spinout to Lower FIS woods was their best run of the day. Kudos to Mtn Ops. Now it's Ullr's turn to help out....