PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion - My Next Step

shadyjay
01-25-2008, 09:20 PM
I'm ready to step up to the next level of riding at Sugarbush. I can comfortably do any blue trail on the map, and a couple of the easier blacks. Not a mogul fan.
What can I expect from, say, Tumbler or Hammerhead? Lower FIS I'd try, but the thought of a long run-out kinda scares me. Bravo/Exterm and of course, FIS and B/D are all out.

And I'm still trying to work up the courage to try an easier run off Castlerock. Any suggs? I'm guessing Castlerock Run. Is that in good shape as of late? Mogul density?

Or am I stuck in a hole for now until the next big dump to hide all the moguls on the diamonds?

(this season new runs so far for me are Morning Star (t2b) and Upper Organgrinder).

outofshape
01-25-2008, 10:36 PM
take your time and don't be in a rush.

BushMogulMaster
01-25-2008, 10:40 PM
You can expect bumps on both Hammy and Tumbler. Tumbler you might find some less-bumpy lines on far skiers' left or right. The bump lines usually set up in the middle of that run. Hammerhead is very challenging, and will be mostly all bumps. The headwall (second big pitch) on Hammerhead is easily one of the steepest pitches at Sugarbush. I wouldn't recommend it if you're still not sure. It's also quite skinny. How do you do with Cliffs?

If you're over at LP, head up C-Rock, and ski Troll Road and Cotillion. Cotillion gets a little bumpy at times, but won't be nearly as bumpy as C-Rock Run and Middle Earth.

Hope that helps a little.

Go Figure
01-25-2008, 11:27 PM
Shady
Waiting till the next big dump would be wise.Not so much to hide the moguls but to fill them in again.They are not in the best of
"newby" bump rider shape .To be honest I would suggest Steins for the newer manmade.The entrance is a little narrow but soon opens up
giving You more options.Also watch for trails that have been 1/2 groomed on 1 side.this allows You to dip in and out where the lines
are best.

shadyjay
01-27-2008, 05:23 PM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. This wknd, I kept it on my ole' faithfuls and will wait for the big dump before attempting others. I have sworn to get up to the 'Rock this season. First time ever to the top of that peak was this summer while hiking. I didn't hike down the trails, but instead continued on the L/T to Mt Ellen. Probably would've given me a better idea of what I'm up against, had I hiked, but then again, it looks a lot different with snow vs grass/dirt/rocks.

I haven't really seen any trails at the 'Bush where half is moguls and the other half isn't. That's one thing I do like about Okemo.

One thing I've always wondered - how are the moguls created?

BushMogulMaster
01-27-2008, 05:54 PM
One thing I've always wondered - how are the moguls created?

By many skiers making short radius turns on the same slope. I could take 4 or 5 other bump skiers and ski in 1 or 2 really nice bump lines in one day.

Comp bumps are made either by setting marking flags and skiing the lines in, or with snowcats. Then there are the shovel bumps...........

MntMan4Bush
01-28-2008, 10:01 AM
I think if you're ready to step up your skiing at the Bush to blacks then moguls are definitely in your future. It would be like saying you're ready to add peanut butter to your candy bar line up and hope to avoid nutty buddies and Reeses. Not gonna happen. Once you start skiing them though you'll love them.

I would definitely stay away from Hammerhead. It is almost always (and believe me I tested it Sunday) very icy and bumped up. There are a couple of decent pitches on it, but overall I would avoid it for the time being. It sounds like you're at a similar stage in skiing as my wife right now. I took her up to the Rock earlier this year (I find Middle Earth a better break in run to the Rock. Just the ice fall is the only "scary:" part the first time you do it) and even in Slidebrook when it was running smooth. She's been following me on Twist, but that is assuredly always just a bump run(and perhaps the best on the mountain). Sometimes though she comes down Moonshine and while it is just a Blue it usually has some easy bumps that make it a bit more challenging. They're irregular but it's more of a gentle slope. Then when it meets up with Twist she takes lower Twist down. Lower Moonshine this year hasn't set up well and the snow is much better on Lower Twist. I also saw someone mention Tumbler and I would agree that's a pretty good trail. It does have bumps but it seemed to me this weekend that you could pick your way down a bit easier if you were just learning. Plus the pitches aren't sustained steep for too long so it breaks the run up nicely.

There are a couple of trails that are half bumps/half groomed, namely Cliffs and Encore on North (although encore has some bumps towards the bottom across the entire trail). at South Birch often has bumps on the skiers left towards the top. Trails like this are a nice option so you can just ski the edges of the bumps and get a feel for them and then shoot out to the groomed side if you feel uncomfortable. I know it's a Blue so you've probably skied it a bunch already. Sunrise, when not icy, might be a decent option you as well.

Hope this helps. Have fun.

Strat
01-29-2008, 07:18 AM
I think if you're ready to step up your skiing at the Bush to blacks then moguls are definitely in your future. It would be like saying you're ready to add peanut butter to your candy bar line up and hope to avoid nutty buddies and Reeses. Not gonna happen. Once you start skiing them though you'll love them.

I would definitely stay away from Hammerhead. It is almost always (and believe me I tested it Sunday) very icy and bumped up. There are a couple of decent pitches on it, but overall I would avoid it for the time being. It sounds like you're at a similar stage in skiing as my wife right now. I took her up to the Rock earlier this year (I find Middle Earth a better break in run to the Rock. Just the ice fall is the only "scary:" part the first time you do it) and even in Slidebrook when it was running smooth. She's been following me on Twist, but that is assuredly always just a bump run(and perhaps the best on the mountain). Sometimes though she comes down Moonshine and while it is just a Blue it usually has some easy bumps that make it a bit more challenging. They're irregular but it's more of a gentle slope. Then when it meets up with Twist she takes lower Twist down. Lower Moonshine this year hasn't set up well and the snow is much better on Lower Twist. I also saw someone mention Tumbler and I would agree that's a pretty good trail. It does have bumps but it seemed to me this weekend that you could pick your way down a bit easier if you were just learning. Plus the pitches aren't sustained steep for too long so it breaks the run up nicely.

There are a couple of trails that are half bumps/half groomed, namely Cliffs and Encore on North (although encore has some bumps towards the bottom across the entire trail). at South Birch often has bumps on the skiers left towards the top. Trails like this are a nice option so you can just ski the edges of the bumps and get a feel for them and then shoot out to the groomed side if you feel uncomfortable. I know it's a Blue so you've probably skied it a bunch already. Sunrise, when not icy, might be a decent option you as well.

Hope this helps. Have fun.
He's only on one plank, makes the mogul situation a bit different, haha...

shadyjay
02-06-2008, 09:49 PM
With the combination of tomorrow being a Thursday and a powder day, I just might give some new trails a whirl. Brambles and Semi-Tough (my pow day favs) are givens (though the only access to them will be via Northway), and perhaps Cliffs if it looks right. The GMX liftline shouldn't be too much of a problem. See how it goes, how my legs/feet are feeling, etc. Maybe a quick beer in the Glen House and I'll make my way down Cliffs, then go from there as far as the other trails in that vicinity go. So if anyone sees someone on Cliffs or Tumbler or Hammerhead crashin and burnin, it very well could be me. At least the landings 'll be soft :D

shadyjay
02-09-2008, 02:46 PM
Oh yes... the landings on Thursday were soft... blasted The Cliffs, Encore, and Hammerhead - holy VW-sized bumps on HH, batman! I didn't think it was that steep. Tumbler I hit up today and thought that was steeper. Bumps were interesting, yet a little icy in some spots. Lower FIS was a dream, even with the walking on the flatout. Practiced some bumps on Semi-Tough. And did a couple runs on The Cliffs again. Now that I know I can do these runs, I have something more fun to play with than just Rim Run/Elbow/Lookin/ Cruiser and over on the Inverness. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Now I can conquer the entire mid/lower mtn.

Next will come Castlerock.............