PDA

View Full Version : SuperBowl festivities

HowieT2
01-23-2008, 07:57 AM
Every year I come up to ski superbowl weekend and watch the game. Frankly, the choices for watching the game are pretty lame. Last year we were at the Smokehouse. This year we'll likely stay in unless there is something doing at the mountain. I mean, it's Pats-Giants for god's sake and the Pats are undefeated. It would be really great if the CR pub was open. That would be the perfect place to watch the game.

Strat
01-24-2008, 07:22 AM
At least it's on regular TV this time 8)

Treehugger
01-24-2008, 05:07 PM
Yeah, not too many choices. Big Picture is doing something. Phoenix has a projection TV. Smokehouse has $2.50 microbrews and cheap munchies.

HowieT2
01-24-2008, 07:00 PM
I could see Timbers having a nice setup for a party.

Sail or Ski
01-25-2008, 03:43 PM
The Hideaway has small Tvs for watching the commercials and a pool table for something to do during the game. And..Beer

outofshape
01-25-2008, 10:39 PM
someone said there are electric char suicide squirrel apps for the game.

Treehugger
01-27-2008, 01:48 AM
That would be at Timbers or Sweetwoods. Nobody else is so haute cuisine...

Strat
01-27-2008, 03:05 PM
Always a good time at the big wrap-around bar at Egan's... not a whole lot of party space per se, but a pretty good-sized screen on one side...

on_edge
01-30-2008, 02:26 PM
I understand "pickins' are slim" this year but, apparently, the Hyde Away is the place to be. I understand there isn't much, if anything, happening at the mountain or elsewhere. The Hyde Away recently installed an LCD screen in the pool room and will have a total of 5 TVs for the Superbowl. I'm told they're having draft beer specials, appetizer specials, complimentary munchies, and a football pool.

Could be a good time!

jkvt
01-30-2008, 03:04 PM
I understand "pickins' are slim" this year but, apparently, the Hyde Away is the place to be. I understand there isn't much, if anything, happening at the mountain or elsewhere. The Hyde Away recently installed an LCD screen in the pool room and will have a total of 5 TVs for the Superbowl. I'm told they're having draft beer specials, appetizer specials, complimentary munchies, and a football pool.

Could be a good time!

Someone might have already mentioned but BigPic is showing the game on their 40ft. screen.

jkvt

HowieT2
01-30-2008, 03:16 PM

Could be a good time!

Someone might have already mentioned but BigPic is showing the game on their 40ft. screen.

jkvt

That's what I'm talking about. They have good food there too.

on_edge
01-30-2008, 03:18 PM
I think someone mentioned the concept of having a big screen with nothing much else going on vs. the reverse. I suppose one thing to consider would be where that big screen is. A big screen in a big room works. Smokehouse, for example, is a large open space. At Big Picture, it would be like watching a movie. At the Hyde Away, the room layout is a series of smaller connected spaces. A really huge screen wouldn't work well there. But multiple screens with all the beer specials and munchies, etc. should be a nice balance.

Treehugger
01-31-2008, 01:36 PM
Smokehouse and Hyde have both been jammin for the playoffs . Both are offering food and beer specials, and I'm sure they'll be packed on Sunday. Go Giants...

boze
01-31-2008, 01:55 PM
sounds like on-edge has some relationship to the hyde away...

freeheel_skier
01-31-2008, 02:32 PM
sounds like on-edge has some relationship to the hyde away...

Who cares? :? Anybody who has patronized the place does! :wink:

boze
01-31-2008, 02:47 PM
pretty simple: i'm averse to posters who do so for their own commercial interest :evil:

and find it very coincidental that on edge has a join date of 2 days ago and total of 2 posts only eachpromoting the hyde away :roll:

on_edge
01-31-2008, 03:12 PM
boze -- if you come to the Hyde Away, for the Superbowl or any other time, I don't make a dime. I have no commercial interest. I agree with freeheel. I've been going there for years (pretty much my living room). And, IMHO, you can't beat the atmosphere. The Hyde Away is my favorite place to be any time. If you don't agree, you're entitled to your opinion. Good luck wherever you go. As for my recent join, I've been meaning to for a while and this item caught my attention. Just sharing what I know.

boze
01-31-2008, 03:41 PM
appreciate the clarification
apologies for being overly-wary of this board getting 'corrupted' like some others have suffered
glad that you've now joined
btw, i'm no stranger to the hyde away &* agree it's a good joint

HowieT2
01-31-2008, 03:47 PM
you'll have to excuse boze. he took the red eye back from Utah on monday just as they were in the midst of getting 3 feet of snow.

on_edge
01-31-2008, 04:00 PM
appreciate the clarification
apologies for being overly-wary of this board getting 'corrupted' like some others have suffered
glad that you've now joined
btw, i'm no stranger to the hyde away &* agree it's a good joint
No worries. I did find it ironic that someone in the publishing business would be so wary of promotions, though. 8)

Treehugger
02-01-2008, 12:04 AM
Like you need somebody here to promote the Hyde. Everybody will do good business on Sunday. Did I mention-GO GIANTS. Well, really I'd just like to see a good game, but in the spirit of The Den - GO GIANTS...

Hawk
02-01-2008, 07:10 AM
pretty simple: i'm averse to posters who do so for their own commercial interest :evil:

and find it very coincidental that on edge has a join date of 2 days ago and total of 2 posts only eachpromoting the hyde away :roll:

Just curious Bose, why are you so adverse? You realize that we have several prominent members of this community that self promote all this time. I think that this board in general promotes the mountain and the valley. I see people all the time get angry on this and other forums about this topic and I don't understand. I think its fine in moderation. We are one big MRV family after all. :wink: So what are your thoughts?

Bubba
02-01-2008, 07:27 AM
At Big Picture, it would be like watching a movie.

I guess you've never been there.
The theater where they will show the game is big and open with sofas and chairs and a bar. Yah, there is some theater seating.
The screen is large enough so that you will be able to see every drop of sweat and blood splashing from Eli as he gets pummeled in the backfield.

ski_resort_observer
02-01-2008, 07:37 AM
At Big Picture, it would be like watching a movie.

I guess you've never been there.
The theater where they will show the game is big and open with sofas and chairs and a bar. Yah, there is some theater seating.
The screen is large enough so that you will be able to see every drop of sweat and blood splashing from Eli as he gets pummeled in the backfield.

The Big Picture Cafe is now open 10-10 and serves breakfast, has a soda fountain, has a tapas menu, entrees and a bar. The last time the wife and I saw a movie the place was hopping.

Sail or Ski
02-01-2008, 09:13 AM
Sugarbush Ski Club met at the Big Picture and had their race on the Big Screen......great time, good food, and....beer

AngryJohnny
02-01-2008, 10:29 AM
The projection screen at the Pheonix stinks...saw the NCAA national champ game a year ago and the resolution was awful. Kind of surprised Sugarbush is not jumping on the opportunity to promote Timbers/CR Pub and to continue their plight of driving business out of the other local establishments. :?

AngryJohnny
02-01-2008, 10:32 AM
BTW...I'm having a party down in Boston and you are all invited! I have a big screen HD TV, wings, chili, pulled chicken, beer & wine not too mention it will be a 5 to 1 ratio of gals to guys! :wink:

MntMan4Bush
02-01-2008, 11:03 AM
With a ratio like that one has to ask the question, how is it possible for Johnny to be angry?

HowieT2
02-01-2008, 11:14 AM
BTW...I'm having a party down in Boston and you are all invited! I have a big screen HD TV, wings, chili, pulled chicken, beer & wine not too mention it will be a 5 to 1 ratio of gals to guys! :wink:

2 to 1 is a better ratio. Send the extra girls up to Warren for us skiers.

HowieT2
02-04-2008, 11:07 AM
Ended up at the big picture and it was great. They served food/drink into the theater with the huge screen. Nice crowd but not too much.
Looked like there was a good crowd at the smokehouse and hideaway, too.

boze
02-05-2008, 05:24 PM

Just curious Bose, why are you so adverse? You realize that we have several prominent members of this community that self promote all this time. I think that this board in general promotes the mountain and the valley. I see people all the time get angry on this and other forums about this topic and I don't understand. I think its fine in moderation. We are one big MRV family after all. :wink: So what are your thoughts?

While on_edge has shown my concern to be misplaced, since you asked I'll just say my aversion (as in 'averse', not adverse BTW) is to unacknowledged self-promotion i.e., where the link between the poster and any commercial interest they are promoting remains undisclosed / not obvious. Not that I am saying everyone who posts a glowing review is assumed to have a commercial interest in what they are writing about. Still, I'm sure many here are aware that numerous web agencies offer marketing services in which they clandestinely post rave reviews of some product or service on targetted blogs.

Anyway, given that this board is all about Sugarbush, and knowing that certain employees & owners post regularly I think everyone here pretty much appreciates the potential for some natural 'self-promotion' of the Sugarbush offerings. That's natural & expected. Even appreciated (I can't make it through my week without a certain Thursday email stoke / update from Mr Ice Beard himself!). So it was the promoting of an off-campus venue by a lurker-turned-brand-new-poster that caught my eye. And I was proved wrong. So maybe I was still grumpy from my premature return from Utah...and I apologize to the Board members for my over-sensitivity. Over and out.