PDA

View Full Version : Today - 1/19/2008

shadyjay
01-19-2008, 04:39 PM
Finally got out today, first time since 1/6/08...

Thoughts and obs from Mount Ellen:
met a bunch of folks on the lift, some from ny, some from nj, all nice
got very busy at summit but nothing outside of the corral - maybe 1/4-1/2 full at the worst.
north ridge looked the busiest
inverness was a walk-up (meaning, walk up, get on)
gmvs poma was running for the racers - despite it being removed from trail map, haven't seen it run in at least 1-2 years
conditions were good, lookin good wasn't groomed but was still fun, though got icy after noon
walts had great natural snow cov still, and was very crowded, a couple thin spots
worst natural trail i could see looked to be bravo, lower headwall had lot of exposed rock
black diamond had a couple rocks showing, from what i could see on the lift
lower fis and its connectors still closed, along with brambles
snow blowin' on brambles (strung from inverness) and riemergasse
didn't go to check the pipe, though it was open from what i read on snow report
slide brook closed due to lack of adequate coverage along the liftline - req in event of evac
stopped to check on a skier who had fallen on upper rim run - said someone ran into her - so it was def. busy

all in all, a good day - i put in a solid 4 hrs. busy pkg lot. crowded but not a mob scene. i'm sure l/p was jammin.
if u'r going tomorrow, bundle up. last i heard, windy as well. gonna wait till next fri.
see ya then!

Lostone
01-19-2008, 07:25 PM
I'd agree with most of that, except that I thought Exterminator was much worse than Bravo. (Bravinator was good, early.)

Lot of people at North I usually see only at South. Snow held up rather nicely.

shadyjay
01-19-2008, 09:18 PM
I'd agree with most of that, except that I thought Exterminator was much worse than Bravo. (Bravinator was good, early.)

Lot of people at North I usually see only at South. Snow held up rather nicely.

I was making my observations from trails I rode and trails I could see from the lift. Since Exterminator is kind of hidden, and that double diamonds are out of my league, I didn't count it. Bravo is below the liftline so thats a given, as is Black Diamond. Tumbler is another "hidden" and so is Hammerhead, though you can see the bottoms of both runs.

The crowding at North is often relative to the Slide Brook. Perhaps a lot of "visitors" went on the assumption that since the Slide Brook wasn't operating, that L/P would be a zoo, and took the alternate mtn. Regardless of the folks, still had a lot of fun, and even heard a chicken call :shock:

Strat
01-19-2008, 11:42 PM
ME parking lot was the most full I've ever seen it, ever. People parked all the way down to the last lots where the tour buses park... liftlines weren't bad at all, 2-3 min max, trails a bit crowded...

Had an almost at the top of FIS today... never done it before, it's groomed so it's the best time for a non-mogul-loving snowboarder... but I just couldn't bring myself to drop in... that first headwall is so damn steep, haha...

jwt
01-20-2008, 11:31 AM
Strat - next time conditions permit, head to the skiers left on upper FIS pretty much above the small trees. . . . you can get the softest snow and traverse in. . . . it was not the best for boarders Sat, bit icy between soft bumps, but the trail is not near as intimidating once you are 'in'. headwall near patrol shack is much steeper and icier than other side.

As for the conditions Sat, they were far better than many imagined. That 5" that was reported on website made a huge difference from last w/e and they certainly did a job grooming.

the TREES! were actually the best place to be - who knew? Spent half the day in there and got freah tracks in many places, Tumbler Woods being the boniest ( if that is a word?) Elbow, skiers left Exter Woods and Way Back Woods had good snow, and even underneath was harder but carveable - you got purchase when you stepped on it.

I was thinking how much we all would have glorified these conditions LAST MLK w/e. Only getting better.

keep those hands in front.

shadyjay
01-20-2008, 02:20 PM
Had an almost at the top of FIS today... never done it before, it's groomed so it's the best time for a non-mogul-loving snowboarder... but I just couldn't bring myself to drop in... that first headwall is so damn steep, haha...

I'm right in the same boat wit'cha there, Strat, though I've never even thought of dropping in. I too am a non-mogul-loving boarder. Perhaps someday though.
However, there are runs I've done within the past year that I never thought I'd do. I dropped in on Upper Organgrinder back in Dec and same with Morning Star, two runs which I was dead-set against. And during V-Day last year, had some fun on Lwr Birdland I did. Next drop-in task will be Castlerock, but the diff there is that once I'm up on the lift up top, there's only one way down. So I guess the dropping-in task there would be to "drop in" on the liftline. Once I'm on the lift, guess I'd be committed.

skiladi
01-21-2008, 10:23 AM

I'm right in the same boat wit'cha there, Strat, though I've never even thought of dropping in. I too am a non-mogul-loving boarder. Perhaps someday though.
However, there are runs I've done within the past year that I never thought I'd do. I dropped in on Upper Organgrinder back in Dec and same with Morning Star, two runs which I was dead-set against. And during V-Day last year, had some fun on Lwr Birdland I did. Next drop-in task will be Castlerock, but the diff there is that once I'm up on the lift up top, there's only one way down. So I guess the dropping-in task there would be to "drop in" on the liftline. Once I'm on the lift, guess I'd be committed.

I guess you could say I'm a poser but I do like to take the board out on occasion. Usually in deep powder or spring slush. I finally found the perfect day last season. Don't remember the date but it was deep powder so I felt pretty confident about trying Castlerock. Also feel my skill level would not be appreciated there unless there is deep powder so off I went. First time on the board at Castlerock! I was pretty excited and didn't really take wind into consideration. Well , it was gusting. Rode up with a very nice lady on skis and as we neared the top I told her to go first and go right as this was not going to be pretty. The board was lifting me up like a kite and I am not light. :roll: I had no control over where it was waving so I just jumped , landing upside down on my helmet 8) . I was okay and as soon as the others were off the lift it went on hold. Not my fault , really! Everyone was getting buffeted. But the riders were worse off. So I sat and waited for everyone to ski/ride ahead and then it was my turn. ; } Alone on Castlerock run on my board. So much snow I wasn't worried about finding a line. And it was sweeeet!