PDA

View Full Version : The Squirrel that Roared

win
01-16-2008, 01:26 PM
Remember the Movie with Peter Sellers? This morning some of the power went down at Mount Ellen. Snowmaking was out, lifts kept power. part of the lodge was out another part on. Curious problem. With all of the guns running full out on Inverness all that water could have drained out on the trails, and we could have been hours recharging the line. A really energetic snowmaker literally ran down Inverness turning off the guns and pointing the nozzles downhill, and he did all of this in 15 minutes. It was a great effort, and we will certainly find a nice way to thank him for this effort. The guns are back on making nice snow!

The power mystery? It turns out a squirrel committed suicide in the transformer behind the ME Lodge, so Green Mountain Power was able to extract him and get the power back on. Since the power knocked out the bathrooms, for health reasons we closed ME and let everyone go over to LP to ski and ride, but ME will be back up tomorrow assuming no more "nutty" squirrels.

quadburn
01-16-2008, 04:10 PM
The squirrel did not commit suicide but was a resistance fighter going out in a blaze of glory (see pic below).

http://www.postimage.org/aVjDz69.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aVjDz69)

Tin Woodsman
01-16-2008, 07:27 PM
Be warned, Win, the Squirrel Resistance Army is watching your every move.

shadyjay
01-16-2008, 08:12 PM
So ME didn't close because of the wind? I called the Snow Phone this afternoon and they said it was the wind, and so did the snow report. It wasn't that windy in low/mid elevations. Hopefully Sat won't be windy, but Sun I may have to stay home and warm.

HowieT2
01-16-2008, 08:16 PM
Wasn't it the mouse that roared? Sellers plays a bunch of different roles in his country's war with the USA???

skiladi
01-16-2008, 09:18 PM
Wasn't it the mouse that roared? Sellers plays a bunch of different roles in his country's war with the USA???

And " Being There " mirrors Bush's presidency. Gotta love Peter Sellers. And there was another Peter " Sellars " of Three Sisters fame. Ahm , you out there?

win
01-16-2008, 10:40 PM
Yes, HowieT2 it was the "Mouse that Roared". I was wondering who would get it. A great movie!

At the beginning of the day all the lifts at ME were on windhold with the exception of Sunny-D, but it was the electrical and resulting sanitation issue that caused the closure. Gatehouse and Heaven's Gate had early windhold but were open by mid-morning.

We are blowing really good snow on Birch and Sleeper tonight, and I would project that we will have North Lynx open again by Friday and certainly for the weekend. Tomorrow night and into Friday we should be getting 3-6" on new snow and hopefully more if the storm is not a fast moving one.

Saturday looks to be the pick of the weekend.

skiladi
01-17-2008, 09:03 AM
Have you guys ever noticed how the ads at the page bottom coincide with the topic of the post? Kinda funny. Like this one:
www.squirrelstuff.com

freeheel_skier
01-17-2008, 09:52 AM
Have you guys ever noticed how the ads at the page bottom coincide with the topic of the post? Kinda funny. Like this one:
www.squirrelstuff.com

Very funny/inertsting. I never paid attention to the google ads. Now I know where to look for squirrel removal. I am sure the ads are different for each internet provider?

Lostone
01-17-2008, 10:07 AM
The ads are Googlized to relate to the topic or some of the words on the posts on that page.

Their relationship to the posts can be very funny.

As for squirrels and mice... Squirrels are rats with good PR. :roll: :lol:

HowieT2
01-17-2008, 10:56 AM
if you use gmail you'll notice ads that are relevant to what's in your e-mail. Creepy.

boze
01-17-2008, 11:30 AM
No free lunches in this world, ad-averse people.

Having said that, the houskeeper of a childhood friend of mine would regularly dine on squirrel meat. :shock: His older brothers would 'hunt' squirrel with their bb guns, and leave for the housekeeper. So a free meal of sorts tho I cannot imagine the dietary complications. :x Rat-a-saurus indeed!

We now return to our regularly scheduled programming...

skibum1321
01-17-2008, 03:43 PM
if you use gmail you'll notice ads that are relevant to what's in your e-mail. Creepy.

The CustomizeGoogle Firefox extension takes care of that problem. It lets you remove ads from most Google services. It also forces it to use https, which is always a good idea.

Shorty Anvil
01-22-2008, 11:56 PM
No disrespect to the very great Peter Sellers, or my mainest man, Howie T2, but the book, by Leon Wibberly (sp) was as good as the movie (though Peter Sellers playing the queen of the grand duchy of Koknitz is funny by anyone's standards).