PDA

View Full Version : Keep Your tips crossed.

Go Figure
01-13-2008, 12:15 PM
...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE TONIGHT THROUGH MONDAY
EVENING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER
STORM WATCH FOR MUCH OF CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN VERMONT...WHICH IS
IN EFFECT FROM LATE TONIGHT THROUGH MONDAY EVENING FOR THE
POTENTIAL FOR 6 OR MORE INCHES OF SNOW.

SNOW WILL OVERSPREAD CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN VERMONT FROM THE SOUTH
LATER TONIGHT...AND CONTINUE THROUGH MUCH OF MONDAY BEFORE
TAPERING TO SNOW SHOWERS MONDAY NIGHT. TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF
6 OR MORE INCHES ARE POSSIBLE BY LATER IN THE DAY ON MONDAY...
ESPECIALLY ACROSS SOUTHERN VERMONT AND ALONG EASTERN FACING SLOPES
OF THE CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN GREEN MOUNTAINS.

A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT
SNOW...SLEET...OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL.
PLEASE STAY TUNED TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO...YOUR LOCAL MEDIA...OR
GO TO WWW.WEATHER.GOV/BURLINGTON FOR FURTHER UPDATES ON THIS
WEATHER SITUATION.

Could be a start in the recovery from the sad conditions We have now.

ahm
01-13-2008, 12:37 PM
But the week looks good and that should make the next weekend and following week much better!

.SHORT TERM /7 PM THIS EVENING THROUGH TUESDAY/...
AS OF 241 AM EST SUNDAY...COMPLEX WX SYSTEM STILL ON TRACK TO AFFECT
REGION TONIGHT INTO MONDAY WITH WIDESPREAD LIGHT TO MODERATE
SNOWFALL...ESP ACROSS CENTRAL/SRN VT. LATEST ANALYSIS SHOWS MODELS
IN TWO CAMPS...WITH LATEST OP GFS/NAM SHOWING A FURTHER NW TRACK
JUST E OF NANTUCKET...WHEREAS NEW EURO/GEM/UKMET MAINTAIN A SOMEWHAT
FURTHER EASTWARD TRACK ACROSS THE 40N/-70W BENCHMARK. HPC WOULD
OFFER A BLENDED SOLN SOMEWHERE IN BTWN...WHICH IS CLOSE TO LAST
EVENINGS 21Z SREF PROGS...AND THIS APPEARS REASONABLE ATTM. A QUICK
LOOK AT PARTIAL THICKNESS PROFILES SHOW COLUMNAR TEMPERATURE
PROFILES PLENTY COLD ENOUGH FOR ALL SNOW W/THIS EVENT...THOUGH BEST
FORCING/LIFT AND POSSBL ENHANCED FGEN/BANDING WELL SOUTH OF OUR FA.
QPF MORE PROBLEMATIC...WITH SOME INTERACTION POSSIBLE FROM ADDL NRN
STREAM ENERGY ACROSS THE GREAT LAKES LEADING TO BROAD SCALE
STRETCHING AND/OR DEFORMATION AT MID LVLS. USING THE 0.4 INCH QPF
CONTOUR OFF HPC/SREF PROGS AS A BASELINE AND ASSUMING A 12-13:1 SNOW
TO LIQUID RATIO...IT WOULD APPEAR PORTIONS OF CENTRAL AND SRN VT
WOULD STAND THE BEST CHC FOR SEEING BETTER SNOWFALL ACCUM FROM THIS
SYSTEM...ESP CONSIDERING DEEPER DENDRITIC SNOW GROWTH LYR ACROSS
THIS AREA. ALSO...FAIRLY ANOMALOUS EASTERLY FLOW SETTING UP
OVERNIGHT ACROSS THE SOUTH MAY ENHANCE SNOWFALL RATES ALONG ERN
FACING SLOPES OF THE SRN GREENS. THUS WILL HOIST WINTER STORM WATCH
FOR MUCH OF CENTRAL/SRN VT FOR TONIGHT INTO MONDAY...AND PASS TO DAY
SHIFT TO FINE TUNE THE DETAILS...WHICH APPEARS REASONABLE WITH
INHERENT UNCERTAINTY REMAINING W/THIS SYSTEM.

castlerock
01-13-2008, 12:57 PM
You are right about the possibility of more southerly, but model runs have been whacked. If the GFS/NAM scenario wins out, it could be a big winner for us. Especially with the orographics from easterly flow enhancing the eastern slopes of the greens.

HowieT2
01-13-2008, 01:21 PM
You are right about the possibility of more southerly, but model runs have been whacked. If the GFS/NAM scenario wins out, it could be a big winner for us. Especially with the orographics from easterly flow enhancing the eastern slopes of the greens.

Not to mention the nice shot of cold air that could bring some LES and the system on 1/18-1/19. Might be a tough ride up friday night, but a good day saturday.

Tin Woodsman
01-13-2008, 01:57 PM

Not to mention the nice shot of cold air that could bring some LES and the system on 1/18-1/19. Might be a tough ride up friday night, but a good day saturday.
The tougher ride just makes the reward that much sweeter. I will happily let those less determined to self-select themselves out of the crowd for a powder Saturday on MLK weekend.

shadyjay
01-13-2008, 02:22 PM
Reading this thread, I seem more and more glad that I took this wknd off, and will get back on track next Friday, for a 3-day blitz.

(this has been a good wknd to do some touch-up painting in my apt - think I did this on the exact same wknd last year).

And I suggest we rename this thread - the title is discriminatory to those like myself who only have one tip :D :D :D

castlerock
01-13-2008, 03:14 PM
(this has been a good wknd to do some touch-up painting in my apt - think I did this on the exact same wknd last year).

When we decided to bag it on Friday. I started the re-paint the bathroom project.

happygirl
01-13-2008, 03:46 PM
This was a great weekend for football!! GO PATS!! :D Perfect weekend to stay home and watch the Pats!! I'm sure next weekend it will be goood!!

Go Figure
01-13-2008, 05:28 PM
And I suggest we rename this thread - the title is discriminatory to those like myself who only have one tip

Sorry :) Keep Your boots crossed.

I just drove by a nightime excavating project on the access road.I think maybe a stealth upgrade in water capacity.

win
01-13-2008, 08:10 PM
Leak in the pipe - repaired and snowmaking will resume tonight at LP on Snowball and Spring Fling.

shadyjay
01-13-2008, 08:20 PM
This was a great weekend for football!! GO PATS!! :D Perfect weekend to stay home and watch the Pats!! I'm sure next weekend it will be goood!!

While I can really care less about the Patriots, being a born-and-bread Giants fan, I too have reason to celebrate. :)

HowieT2
01-13-2008, 08:43 PM

While I can really care less about the Patriots, being a born-and-bread Giants fan, I too have reason to celebrate. :)

Go Giants! Next weekend is shaping up just fine.

atkinson
01-14-2008, 01:53 PM
I hate to be the wet blanket at this rationalization-for-not-skiing party, but the weekend was pretty good.

Juxtapose last year's conditions at this date for a little comparison. This year, Castlerock has been open for more than a month and corned up a bit in the sun. Last year, not even open yet. This year, a great bump comp on Spring Fling with nice lines and clean jumps. Last year, hand-shoveling fill-in snow between each run to cover the grass in the troughs. This year, currently dumping and we've already got a solid base. Last year, starting to snow, and basically starting from scratch. I guess it's all relative, though.

http://forums.alpinezone.com/gallery/data/515/01132008-Dogs_Riders014.JPG
Blazer rider Dylan making the most of a "good weekend for painting the bathroom."

John

HowieT2
01-14-2008, 02:02 PM
I hate to be the wet blanket at this rationalization-for-not-skiing party, but the weekend was pretty good.

Juxtapose last year's conditions at this date for a little comparison. This year, Castlerock has been open for more than a month and corned up a bit in the sun. Last year, not even open yet. This year, a great bump comp on Spring Fling with nice lines and clean jumps. Last year, hand-shoveling fill-in snow between each run to cover the grass in the troughs. This year, currently dumping and we've already got a solid base. Last year, starting to snow, and basically starting from scratch. I guess it's all relative, though.

http://forums.alpinezone.com/gallery/data/515/01132008-Dogs_Riders014.JPG
Blazer rider Dylan making the most of a "good weekend for painting the bathroom."

John

Some of us need a break every once in awhile to get some stuff done at home. Don't worry, we'll be back this weekend. Let it snow.

castlerock
01-14-2008, 02:26 PM

I know, I know, I was debating not admitting to the transgression of not skiing this weekend. I figured that you'd call me on it. But I "manned" up and admitted it.

ahm
01-14-2008, 02:29 PM
JA: interesting post on the conditions. Most who live close by were calling it a tad different..........Now to last year vs this season. I have a dream: from this point forward this season will be just like last season: the Valentines Day Dumper, the snows of St Patty's (he was a skier!) and the April dumps that made a closed ME look like Red/Whitewater/Fernie. So, here's to a good MLK!!