PDA

View Full Version : A Beacon of Hope: Long-range forecast from Farmers Almanac

shadyjay
01-10-2008, 07:22 PM
As written in the 1/10/08 edition of the Waterbury Record:

"Winter will bae about a degree milder than normal, on average, with slightly above-normal precipitation. Snowfall will be above normal, especially in the interior of Maine. The coldest temperatures will occur in early and late December, mid-January, and early and mid- to late-February. The snowiest periods will be in mid-December, mid- and late-January, and early to mid-March. After early April snow, April and May will be slightly warmer and wetter tha nnormal, with the season's first heat wave in late May."

Driving all over the state today was quite depressing, with the lack of snow in many areas, and barren ground, even on most slopes at Pico, which was covered in white not too many days ago. With my crewmember saying that winter's over and that I should hang up my snowboard for the season, plus the fact that I've been sick as a dog all week, hasn't helped my attitude, which has done a complete 180 since last weekend.

If there's anything positive, its that this is our January thaw, and that I know for a fact that the season's nowhere close to being over. Remember last year - we were barely skiing and riding at this time, and were dealing with 60 deg + weather in early January. There were no elongated December powder days, let alone any woods skiing. Trail counts were only a fraction of what they were last weekend.

I'm not one for putting my $$$ on predictions on the winter weather. But this blurb about the winter from the Farmer's Almanac, appears to be accurate thus far. Yes, it was cold in December and with lots of snow. If anything, the clip is a week off, with the coldest weather being the first few days of January, rather than the end of December. Still, I like the mid/late Jan -> March outlook. Even if it doesn't snow, the outlook of the coldest temps is good for snowmaking, plus for keeping what we get in mid/late January.

I'll be taking this weekend off, to allow the powers that be to get the hill into good shape again, and to get myself into perfect riding health again, so that I can take advantage of all the great conditions that are yet to come.

Jay

ski_resort_observer
01-10-2008, 07:47 PM
We have been thru worst than this many times before and somehow survived. Things will be better very soon.

HowieT2
01-10-2008, 08:27 PM
I'm taking this weekend off too and frankly, my body can use it (I got a little ahead of myself in the paradise woods last week and mugged a tree). Gotta get some work done also