PDA

View Full Version : Thanks to the Ski Patrol and nameless others

Schusseur
01-01-2008, 10:08 PM
My 12 year old son and I skied into Slide Brook yesterday, and unfortunatlely he made a bad turn and injured his knee. I was skiing no more than 50 yards below him (I usually stay above) and by the time I could get back up to him someone had skied to him and got his skis off. Everybody there immediately stopped to help and those riding the chair above also offered what they could. My Motorola had a poor signal and my cell phone didn't work, so special thanks to the guy who stayed with us and made sure Patrol got the call.

Considering the backcountry conditions it was great to see the the Patrol guy (Leo) get there with sled in no time at all. My son hardly had time to get cold when he was taken down to a waiting snowmobile, and then a waiting truck at German Flats. It gave me great confidence to see the rescue operation happen so smoothly and professionally.

It was also great to see the unwritten skier's code in action: skier down, you stop and help wherever you are or whenever it is. We all know how easily that could be us on the wrong end of the sled, so we are inclined to help when something happens.

The good news is that my son's injury is not major, more of the tweak variety. He's anxious to get back up the hill asap.

Thanks again to all for making an unpleasant situation as good as could be.

djd66
01-02-2008, 05:20 PM
I would also like to tell a quickie about a Sugarbush ski instructor. I was skiing with my 3 yo. Normally I ski in back of her but this time I was up front. She fell down and hasn't quite mastered the art of getting herself back up. I look back up the hill and start walking back up. Plenty of people ski right by her. Then a ski instructor comes by with her class and stops to help my daughter back up. Very nice! I didn't get her name, but thanks.

barkbiter
01-02-2008, 05:31 PM
I usually only ski Slidebrook at night with one headlight, but I was showing my cliff dropping friend from Chamonix and his son the nice pow still untouched back in the woods when we encountered Mr. Schusseur and his son. Of course we were more than happy to help, glad the knee is only a tweak ! I would have carried the kid down on my back but I think he was scared of me. Perhaps he'd never seen someone my size before, 6 foot 10, 325 lbs. of shredded wheat.

Skis moss on a rock, who's nuts now ??

The Barkbiter

Treeskier
01-02-2008, 08:18 PM
It sadden me to see that our Slidebrook toboggan finally got used. ( We really hoped it would never need to be used)

A bit of history. The Out back guides, my self and many Slidebrook tree skiers got together a few years back and all put in $50.00 each towards the purchase of that sled, the first aid gear and built the sled house.

I glad to hear that you son is well!

To all of you Slidebrook skiers who have not taken a Outback guided tour. Do realize that your fee not only goes toward paying for the guides and insurance but also summer maintenances and now to restock the first aid supplies. Also when you see them giving a tour give them some space and allow them to access the bus first. Anyone who wants to learn more about Slidebrook....take a tour.

Boy did Slidebrook stand out! Face shots!

Doing my snow dance!