PDA

View Full Version : Ads! and other assorted lift tower paraphenalia

shadyjay
12-31-2007, 09:20 PM
Seems like the Bush has sold some advertising space, or is more actively acknowledging their sponsors, with ads on the lift towers. Spotted them today for the first time on the GMX and the Summit at ME. Harkened back to the days of ASC ownership with tacky "welcome" "thank you for visiting" "visit our other 10 resorts" placards that they placed on Bravo, Gate House, and others during their tenure.

Also, there are new (this season) yellow warning signs, but in most cases, the old red ones remain, so there's a little redundancy. Looks like they forgot the North Lynx again, as there is no sign advertising the get-off until the ramp itself.

Just some observations on a snowy day today - legs were hurting after a couple runs. Gonna try to get some in tomorrow AM before the next storm hits and enjoy my last day of vacation. Back to work Wed in the woods of VT on snowshoes and in 10 deg weather. Looking forward to a nice quiet next weekend on the slopes.

sugarboarder
01-01-2008, 12:16 AM
Ads schmads...don't get pissed off...MUCH better to be "off-pissed" :wink:

Just ribbin' as usual - enjoy the riding Jay man!

shadyjay
01-01-2008, 02:40 PM
After a day of riding like today, I'm not pissed one bit! A complete 180 for me vs NYE. Whereas on Monday I was cursing my freakin' sore feet, exhausted from the powder after just one run, and only staying 2 hours, today I made up for it with carving the courdoroy/packed powder and a couple inches of new fluff on my fav runs with a smile on my face, and seeing how fast I could rip it from the summit to the base of the Summit Quad, oftentimes beating the chair I was in by 15-20 chairs. And I would'a stayed longer, but my feet were telling me to rest. I could feel a little tripping up on my last sprint down Cruiser. Better to cut it short after 3 1/2 hours, and ride another day, then take one more run, mess up, and have to take a week (or more) off.

And now, a brief poem, by shadyjay:

Awesome Conditions Today
I'd Stay
But I'll Be Back
To Ride on Saturday
:)

Lostone
01-01-2008, 04:26 PM
And from that great unknown poet Lo-ston-e:

Today is at an end
but it is no great sorrow
for I'll be there to ski again
bright and early, tomorrow. :lol:

Tin Woodsman
01-02-2008, 01:41 PM
It's also too bad they have installed that annoying electronic sign at the base of Bravo. It spits out nothing but ads and generally seems out of place at SB or in the MRV as a whole.

ski_resort_observer
01-02-2008, 09:32 PM
It's also too bad they have installed that annoying electronic sign at the base of Bravo. It spits out nothing but ads and generally seems out of place at SB or in the MRV as a whole.

There are more than one and I think they are kinda cool. You guys have so much neon in the city/suburbia, can't we have alittle sign or two for fun. Like mini stadium signs :lol: I don't really pay much attentione to them but don't they give the time and temp as well as ads?

generally seems out of place at SB or in the MRV as a whole.
I can see where you might feel it seems out of place at the Bush but since people driving thu the MRV and many who live in the valley don't even know the signs exist I don't get the connection with the MRV.

http://forums.skimrv.com/albums/album39/bravolift.jpg

Tin Woodsman
01-03-2008, 09:10 AM
[quote]generally seems out of place at SB or in the MRV as a whole.
I can see where you might feel it seems out of place at the Bush but since people driving thu the MRV and many who live in the valley don't even know the signs exist I don't get the connection with the MRV.

That's a little disingenuous. When you (or anyone else who has passed through the Valley for more than 5 seconds) think of the MRV, what images come to mind? If it's flashing neon signs, then you need to report to the medical tent immediately - the brown acid is clearly taking its toll.

For the last 30 years, Sugarbush has sold and marketed itself, in one guise or another, as "Pure Vermont". That may not be the slogan du jour, but it's no mistake that Clay Brook was built to look like a big barn. Win is a major fixture in the community and has been quoted numerous times extolling its virtues such as having no traffic lights. If they are going to start cluttering up the joint with ads and neon (yes, it's just one sign, for now), it will start to look and feel just like any other industrial skiing venue. To me, that seems antithetical to the culture and vibe that make SB different, special and great. Ultimately, what will drive the bottom line is the quality of the guest experience, primarily in the form of the on-hill product. I don't see how these ads contribute anything to the guest experience.

noski
01-03-2008, 09:34 AM
All I am going to say is "Nice photoshop work, SRO!" ;)

Hawk
01-03-2008, 09:37 AM
That's a nice photo of Bubba.

Yard Sale
01-03-2008, 10:17 AM
My .02: The signs should go. I don't mind being solicited, but the signs do seem out of character. Not to mention anyone who suffers from any type of optical stimulated medical concern such as migrains they're actually a hazzard. My wife can't even look at them.

Lostone
01-03-2008, 10:21 AM
I'm with Tin, on this one.

I think they're ugly. :roll:

And I haven't seen the time and temperature on them since they set them up.

aejkb
01-03-2008, 04:41 PM
The debate reminds me of the people who complain about signage at Fenway Park-- like its a church or something--Sugarbush is a business, not a national park and the owners would be negligent if they didnt squeeze every last cent from their venture--especially if it keeps season pass prices down.

mattlucas
01-03-2008, 04:50 PM
It's not a church, but there is one on the premises!

p.s. they are totally ugly. If they want to make money, they should just cover the lifties in patches a la Nascar. That would be way classier....

shadyjay
01-03-2008, 04:51 PM
A couple things here...

1. when i started this thread, i was just doing it as an fyi. personally i have no problem with the signs on the towers, just was stating a fact. The ASC signs I thought were tacky since they were promoting themselves.

2. personally i have no problem with the colored electronic signs. they do say "think snow" which is totally appropriate. they also have the bush logo, usfs logo, and such. and they're only at the bravo and the gate house. in no way do i see this as destroying the character of the MRV. these are not giant-sized billboards posted along our highways or even backroads. believe me - i've been there - i lived in ct for most of my life until 2005 and had to deal with horrendous advertising everywhere. a little colored sign is not a big deal at 2 lift corrals. could be worse - there could be ads attached to the light poles in the parking lots, billboards on the access road, or even worse, a mcdonalds or a traffic light on a 4-lane access road.

3. half of the clocks over at mt ellen have not yet been adjusted for the time change - the gmx clock said 10:00 when i was there at 9am on new years day. The Inverness clocks were spun around so that there's no confusion. Plus the old style electronic sign at the gmx is tough to read and flashes nothing but the date and time. not really helpful and doesn't get your attention like lincoln peak's 2 colorized versions.

As someone also said, I have no problem with a little ad here and there. This is a business first, and if we want the Bush to continue to succeed in this era of global warming and "staying green", then a little ad is no prob if it means sponsors are putting their money towards the mtn, and the mtn is giving us all one heck of a product, especially so far this season. And hopefully it'll continue (next week's warmup appears to be, according to weather.com, shortlived).

ski_resort_observer
01-03-2008, 05:08 PM
Thanks noski but to be honest I don't own photoshop but I am very proud of my avatar on snowjournal.com as it took me awhile to get that one to look decent. :wink:

http://forums.skimrv.com/albums/album33/cat_257small.jpg

Hawk...which person is Bubba?

skigal
01-03-2008, 09:08 PM
With the right amount of balance, the signs are quite useful. The first time I really paid attention to them was when they were displaying information about windholds and my reaction was...that's great!..better to know now at the bottom of Bravo what's going on around the mountain. Since, then I've seen a lot of "advertise here" ads or "Timbers is best value for lunch" (OK not exactly those words, but close). So, IMHO I think the sign could be great, used appropriately but I suspect my "used appropriately" may be different from that of a marketer.

win
01-04-2008, 07:15 AM
Let me provide some background. Sitour is an advertsing firm that has provided the large trail maps, required lift safety signage and the electonic message Board to Sugarbush for a number of years. They and other competitors do this at many Ski Resorts around the country. As consdideration for this, there is a requirement to provide a level of advertising for their clients. The electronic board also provides us with the opportunity of putting our own messages up for windholds, etc and to have special guest messages like a Happy Anniversay to +++ or a Happy Birthday to ++++. The Contact was negotiated this year and that is why you see a different Board and different signage. In the future, I might not do this but it is a three year contract.

skiladi
01-04-2008, 08:45 AM
SIGNS?!! What signs? All I see is snow. Must be obsessed. ; }

freeheel_skier
01-04-2008, 10:02 AM

I didn't really notice any signs until this thread.....Really....I am that clueless :roll: Now I am sign obsessed. All I see now are stinking Ad's!

skiladi
01-04-2008, 10:54 AM

I didn't really notice any signs until this thread.....Really....I am that clueless :roll: Now I am sign obsessed. All I see now are stinking Ad's!

:? Are you teasing me? Seriously , I ignore a lot of periphery but I did notice the Orlio promotion is over. ; {

01-04-2008, 12:10 PM
The debate reminds me of the people who complain about signage at Fenway Park-- like its a church or something--Sugarbush is a business, not a national park and the owners would be negligent if they didnt squeeze every last cent from their venture--especially if it keeps season pass prices down.

I agree. Stuff like this just doesn't bother me; not in the slightest. When I'm fortunate enough to be skiing at the Bush (which is probably a half dozen days per season at best), I'm just thrilled to be there. It's like some people look for the slightest trivial thing to complain about. If the terrain and conditions are good (this goes for any ski area), I don't even notice this other stuff...

freeheel_skier
01-04-2008, 01:19 PM

:? Are you teasing me? Seriously , I ignore a lot of periphery but I did notice the Orlio promotion is over. ; {

No. I really didn't notice until someone pointed it out!

Tin Woodsman
01-04-2008, 01:38 PM

I agree. Stuff like this just doesn't bother me; not in the slightest. When I'm fortunate enough to be skiing at the Bush (which is probably a half dozen days per season at best), I'm just thrilled to be there. It's like some people look for the slightest trivial thing to complain about. If the terrain and conditions are good (this goes for any ski area), I don't even notice this other stuff...

People who complain about signage at Fenway Park are simply ignorant of not only Fenway's history but also apparently blind to the big flashing signs just outside the park. To wit:

http://www.i-concepts.org/images/prints/st10120p.jpg

This has most certainly NOT been consistent with the history, traditions and reality at Sugarbush. Also, since you're coming up 6 times a year and "just thrilled to be there", presumably you'll be fine with the replacement of the Castlerock chair with a HSQ as it wouldn't change the terrain or the conditions. Obviously that's a hypothetical, but it serves to underline that a place like Sugarbush has a distinct character. The skiing will always remain paramount, though that character is not only a major part of its charm and attraction, its central to their entire market positioning!. It's a thin end of a really annoying wedge - if I want to be blasted with ads, I'll take my business further south.

01-04-2008, 02:09 PM
This has most certainly NOT been consistent with the history, traditions and reality at Sugarbush. Also, since you're coming up 6 times a year and "just thrilled to be there", presumably you'll be fine with the replacement of the Castlerock chair with a HSQ as it wouldn't change the terrain or the conditions. Obviously that's a hypothetical, but it serves to underline that a place like Sugarbush has a distinct character. The skiing will always remain paramount, though that character is not only a major part of its charm and attraction, its central to their entire market positioning!. It's a thin end of a really annoying wedge - if I want to be blasted with ads, I'll take my business further south.

Whatever. Comparing some harmless advertising which doesn't change the overall skiing experience to sticking an HSQ on CR is a pretty weak analogy. Life is too busy (and short) to get wrapped up worrying about things like this. Just effin ski. :roll:

kcyanks1
01-04-2008, 02:54 PM

Replacing Castlerock with a HSQ would change the conditions, because it would get skied off quicker. It would directly affect the skiing experience because more people would be on the trails at once. I don't see it as comparable to ads.

That said, I don't like an abundance of ads. But I didn't find what Sugarbush has to be annoying that one day I've been there so far this year. One thing I also find detracting in a minor way is visible snowmaking equipment all over the place, such as the mounted guns all over Hunter.

freeheel_skier
01-04-2008, 03:08 PM

Replacing Castlerock with a HSQ would change the conditions, because it would get skied off quicker. It would directly affect the skiing experience because more people would be on the trails at once. I don't see it as comparable to ads.

That said, I don't like an abundance of ads. But I didn't find what Sugarbush has to be annoying that one day I've been there so far this year. One thing I also find detracting in a minor way is visible snowmaking equipment all over the place, such as the mounted guns all over Hunter.

HSQ Castelrock has been discussed before. :roll: Will never happen. I think TW was trying to show that ads detract for the character of the Bush. I tend to agree. As for snowmaking......the equipment will be put away sometime next month :D

Tin Woodsman
01-04-2008, 05:00 PM
Whatever. Comparing some harmless advertising which doesn't change the overall skiing experience to sticking an HSQ on CR is a pretty weak analogy. Life is too busy (and short) to get wrapped up worrying about things like this. Just effin ski. :roll:
Thanks for the life lesson. I'm not wrapped up in it. I'm simply pointing out that it's both annoying and out of character for the resort and the Valley as a whole. If that gets your knickers in a twist, so be it.

And if you think nothing off the snow matters, then I'm sure you'l have no problem with the new program SB is instituting beginning MLK weekend. they are called the Sugarbush Face Spitting Ambassadors. After you purchase your ticket and walk up the stairs, a phalanx of uniformed Sugarbush employees awaits you at the top where they will hurl loogies at your mellon after a night of smoking, drinking, and loaded cheese steaks. It's an ideal way to avoid wind burn on your face and will provide you with an opportunity to avail yourselves of the wares from our new sponsor, Kleenex facial tissues. Enjoy as you just effin ski!

kcyanks1
01-04-2008, 05:00 PM

HSQ Castelrock has been discussed before. :roll: Will never happen. I think TW was trying to show that ads detract for the character of the Bush. I tend to agree. As for snowmaking......the equipment will be put away sometime next month :D

I agree. I was just disputing his comment that the quad "wouldn't change . . . the conditions." And the thing about all the mounts around places like Hunter is that I don't think they ever can be put away. I'm not talking about the (sometimes) barely-visible pipes lying low along the sides of trails, but the mess of stuff along lift towers, in the middle of wide intersections, and also, I guess, mounted guns along the sides of trails. I realize the need for such equipment at a place like Hunter, so I'm not saying that I would prefer it not be there. Just that it detracts from the character of the place in some way. Before it sounds like I'm bashing Hunter, I'll say now that it has better terrain than Okemo or Stratton :-)

freeheel_skier
01-04-2008, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the life lesson. I'm not wrapped up in it. I'm simply pointing out that it's both annoying and out of character for the resort and the Valley as a whole. If that gets your knickers in a twist, so be it.

And if you think nothing off the snow matters, then I'm sure you'l have no problem with the new program SB is instituting beginning MLK weekend. they are called the Sugarbush Face Spitting Ambassadors. After you purchase your ticket and walk up the stairs, a phalanx of uniformed Sugarbush employees awaits you at the top where they will hurl loogies at your mellon after a night of smoking, drinking, and loaded cheese steaks. It's an ideal way to avoid wind burn on your face and will provide you with an opportunity to avail yourselves of the wares from our new sponsor, Kleenex facial tissues. Enjoy as you just effin ski!

LMFAO :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lostone
01-04-2008, 06:15 PM
then I'm sure you'l have no problem with the new program SB is instituting beginning MLK weekend. they are called the Sugarbush Face Spitting Ambassadors.

Why have I not heard of this? :? :lol:

Really guys... Please play nice. :wink:

Yard Sale
01-04-2008, 06:19 PM
We could all wear big sandwich boards when we ski and ride promoting amongst other things BIG AIR! :wink:

shadyjay
01-04-2008, 07:58 PM
Why am I all of a sudden regretting even starting this thread?

Let's just forget the signs, ad, etc, and enjoy the snow :D

01-05-2008, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the life lesson. I'm not wrapped up in it. I'm simply pointing out that it's both annoying and out of character for the resort and the Valley as a whole.
And thank you for insinuating I'm some gaper because I only get up there a half dozen times per year:

Also, since you're coming up 6 times a year and "just thrilled to be there", presumably you'll be fine with the replacement of the Castlerock chair with a HSQ as it wouldn't change the terrain or the conditions.

If that gets your knickers in a twist, so be it.
It's my knickers that are in a twist? Delusional. :roll:

[And if you think nothing off the snow matters, then I'm sure you'l have no problem with the new program SB is instituting beginning MLK weekend. they are called the Sugarbush Face Spitting Ambassadors. After you purchase your ticket and walk up the stairs, a phalanx of uniformed Sugarbush employees awaits you at the top where they will hurl loogies at your mellon after a night of smoking, drinking, and loaded cheese steaks. It's an ideal way to avoid wind burn on your face and will provide you with an opportunity to avail yourselves of the wares from our new sponsor, Kleenex facial tissues. Enjoy as you just effin ski!
So I guess your argument is this is some sort of slippery slope? Well, newsflash: the luxury accomodations that are Claybrook could be argued as not keeping with the character of the MRV either, barn-like appearance with faux silo or not. But, again, whatever. Knock yourself out sweating the trivial details.

skiladi
01-05-2008, 09:00 AM
Greg , you are the site admin , right? And Tin is on the mod team , correct? I don't care if the forum is squeaky clean. I'm no prude but you are close to deteriorating your own policies. As Lostone said , Play nice! ; }

shadyjay
01-05-2008, 03:54 PM
Perhaps Win got the anti-electronic sign message from all of you folks, since they were OFF today. Didn't ask him his opinion when I saw him at Gate House this AM.

Did notice though that there are advanced yellow warning "get off" signs on the North Lynx. VH hasn't gotten them - i'm guessing because you can't stick signs to the lattice towers of the VH.

And for those who haven't noticed the ads on the lift towers, there aren't any at Lincoln Peak... only at North.

An incredible day on the slopes today - trip report will be posted at shadyjay.com Sunday evening.

HowieT2
01-05-2008, 04:49 PM
Perhaps Win got the anti-electronic sign message from all of you folks, since they were OFF today. Didn't ask him his opinion when I saw him at Gate House this AM.

Did notice though that there are advanced yellow warning "get off" signs on the North Lynx. VH hasn't gotten them - i'm guessing because you can't stick signs to the lattice towers of the VH.

And for those who haven't noticed the ads on the lift towers, there aren't any at Lincoln Peak... only at North.

An incredible day on the slopes today - trip report will be posted at shadyjay.com Sunday evening.

Signs, shmigns. I didn't notice any as I was eating up all the fresh powder in the woods at ME. Incredible how well the snow held up. Great day. and now for some football

HowieT2
01-07-2008, 09:49 AM
speaking of signs I was glad to see, I noticed one for the new Guest Services Lodge at the bottom of the stairs at LP. Did this just go up or have I just missed it? Is this a promising indication that the GS lodge will actually be built this summer??

Fourwide
01-07-2008, 10:45 AM
"Also, since you're coming up 6 times a year and "just thrilled to be there", presumably you'll be fine with the replacement of the Castlerock chair with a HSQ as it wouldn't change the terrain or the conditions."

Sweet! Please also knock down those annoying moguls on Castlerock Run and Middle Earth. Thanks much!

random_ski_guy
01-07-2008, 01:29 PM

Whew, this Castlerock HSQ barb is particularly nasty. To insinuate that Gregg is some sort of blue square groomer gaper is a total body slam, ouch.

And would you really take your business further south even if Sugarbush decided to increase its signage tenfold around the mountain? I realize that you made no such direct promise to do so and moreover, that you were just making a point as to what makes SB different. However, your suggestion to do so does lead me to ponder the question, where to next if you were to take your business south of SB?

After Magic Mtn or perhaps a snowy weekday at Kton I am at a loss as to where you would go. Sure other mtns would have less ads than SB, that is if SB increased its ads 10 fold, but where are the thrills in skiing an ad free Suicide Six or Okemo. If those hills aren't in tip-top crowdless shape, then they aren't that much fun, particularly for the seasoned skier.

I guess my point is that a threat to take your business to a mtn further south is really no threat at all. All of us that patronize this board don't have it in us to ski anyplace further south. North, east and west however.....

Ok, I知 done thinking aloud. I知 not looking to agitate, just having fun.

HowieT2
01-07-2008, 01:53 PM

Whew, this Castlerock HSQ barb is particularly nasty. To insinuate that Gregg is some sort of blue square groomer gaper is a totally body slam, ouch.

And would you really take your business further south even if Sugarbush decided to increase its signage tenfold around the mountain? I realize that you made no such direct promise to do so and moreover, that you were just making a point as to what makes SB different. However, your suggestion to do so does lead me to ponder the question, where to next if you where to take your business south of SB?

After Magic Mtn or perhaps a snowy weekday at Kton I am at a loss as to where you would go. Sure other mtns would have less ads than SB, that is if SB increased its ads 10 fold, but where are the thrills in skiing an ad free Suicide Six or Okemo. If those hills aren't in tip-top crowdless shape, then they aren't that much fun, particularly for the seasoned skier.

I guess my point is that a threat to take your business to a mtn further south is really no threat at all. All of us that patronize this board don't have it in us to ski anyplace further south. North, east and west however.....

Come on. Agitate. It's going to be freaken warm this week, so if we're lucky we can have a good online tussle brewing.

Tin Woodsman
01-07-2008, 05:54 PM

Whew, this Castlerock HSQ barb is particularly nasty. To insinuate that Gregg is some sort of blue square groomer gaper is a totally body slam, ouch.
That wasn't the intent. Greg dismissed the issue I raised by tut-tutting my focus on anything but the skiing. I laid out a rather hyperbolic (non Les Otten category) possible change that would be alarming even for someone who comes up just a handful of times per year. The skiing is paramount, but there are fundamental building blocks of a place's culture that are also critical to their success and attractiveness to their customers. To ignore that, and to do so in patronizing manner, is folly.

And would you really take your business further south even if Sugarbush decided to increase its signage tenfold around the mountain? I realize that you made no such direct promise to do so and moreover, that you were just making a point as to what makes SB different. However, your suggestion to do so does lead me to ponder the question, where to next if you where to take your business south of SB?

I think you misinterpreted what I wrote completely. I said if I wanted that (ads), I'd head further south. Quite clearly, since I'm bitching and moaning about it here, I don't want that, and would therefore NOT head further south. You'd probably find me at MRG or Smuggs or Bolton or Stowe, assuming pervasive and annoying signage didn't crop up therein either. Except for the odd day here or there at Magic and Pico, it's not worth it to ski further south in VT, IMO.

freeheel_skier
01-07-2008, 08:24 PM

:roll: :roll: :roll:

01-07-2008, 08:42 PM
I said if I wanted that (ads), I'd head further south. Quite clearly, since I'm bitching and moaning about it here, I don't want that, and would therefore NOT head further south. You'd probably find me at MRG or Smuggs or Bolton or Stowe, assuming pervasive and annoying signage didn't crop up therein either. Except for the odd day here or there at Magic and Pico, it's not worth it to ski further south in VT, IMO.
Fair enough. We will simply have to agree to accept each others' different POVs. Nevertheless, the sign (I haven't been up yet so I'm basing this on SRO's image; perhaps it's far more annoying than I think it is) doesn't bother me in the least, and I guess many of you would probably scoff at some of the places I'm willing to ski down here in the tropics.

ski_resort_observer
01-07-2008, 09:03 PM
Another image
http://forums.skimrv.com/albums/album33/sign.jpg

HowieT2
01-07-2008, 09:08 PM
Another image
http://forums.skimrv.com/albums/album33/sign.jpg

That's a great idea. With that thing pumping out some wattage, spring fling and snowball will be open for night skiing.

random_ski_guy
01-07-2008, 11:26 PM
Hey Tin, I gotcha the first time on taking your business south. All I was trying to say is that its an idle threat to do so. The only real threat to SB is to take your business east, north or west.

random_ski_guy
01-07-2008, 11:31 PM
NICE! :P Where is the cell phone tower powered by a wind turbine?

Jiminy Peak has a wind turbine. Its sweet.

http://green.jiminypeak.com/page.php?PageID=303

aejkb
01-08-2008, 07:12 AM
Has there ever been any official discussion about developing wind power at Sugarbush? Also,has anyone checked out turbines at other mountains; is it really obtrusive/noisy, etc.?

jwt
01-08-2008, 12:49 PM
Wind power? Ugh. I don't care what color they are. . .they are eye pollution that is even more repulsive than cell towers. . . . and they can at least decorate those. . . .ever see the giant Sequoia's in NH and on 495 in MA?

Wind power/solar/etc. at it's peak will only generate 5% of our needs. . . . . . and right now they are probably around 2% or less.

France has this one right - nuclear power with reproducable/same set up plants everywhere. They get norht of 80% of they pwer needs from non-polluting nuclear. . .and yea, we have to solve the waste issue, but it has already been shrunk by 50-60% from the mid -70's.

There are wind farms on the passes between the Pacific and Valley.near San Fransisco . . .all put up, then shut down because they had a few migrant birds fly thru them! Never going to keep the environmental lunatics happy, ever.

Hawk
01-09-2008, 11:30 AM
Wind power? Ugh. I don't care what color they are. . .they are eye pollution that is even more repulsive than cell towers. . . . and they can at least decorate those. . . .ever see the giant Sequoia's in NH and on 495 in MA?

Wind power/solar/etc. at it's peak will only generate 5% of our needs. . . . . . and right now they are probably around 2% or less.

France has this one right - nuclear power with reproducable/same set up plants everywhere. They get norht of 80% of they pwer needs from non-polluting nuclear. . .and yea, we have to solve the waste issue, but it has already been shrunk by 50-60% from the mid -70's.

There are wind farms on the passes between the Pacific and Valley.near San Fransisco . . .all put up, then shut down because they had a few migrant birds fly thru them! Never going to keep the environmental lunatics happy, ever.

You sound like one of those guy's from the Cape...... :roll: I have a business asociate that has a wind turbine and solar panels that lives entirely off the grid. I think that if more people in this country followed his lead we could decrease our dependency on the great liquid imported comodity and maybe prevent some future conflicts. I guess I am not realy bothered by the sight of these things. There are more important things to worry about. :wink:

noski
01-09-2008, 12:17 PM
Let's get back to Ads and lift tower signs....... :lol: Do you suppose Greg noticed the skimrv.com billboard on your initial image post?

freeheel_skier
01-09-2008, 01:59 PM
Let's get back to Ads and lift tower signs....... :lol: Do you suppose Greg noticed the skimrv.com billboard on your initial image post?

Now how often will the ad change on "said" billboard? How about next month instead of skimrv, a Victoria's Seceret Angels ad? :shock: Hmmm? Hmmmm? :D

Triple Shot
01-10-2008, 11:40 AM
The signs are mesage boards and if you are concerned that this has commercialized the valley then I think your standards are a little tight. Sugarbush has the ability to put up notificiations, alerts guests of important messages as well as have them be more visible. If you remember, most of the lifts have white boards with scrawled messages for people to report to the clinic, or for family members to reconvene during lunch, etc. Now they have the chance to present sharper, cleaner messages as well as change the boards remotely. While they are certainly brighter I don't think this is a big deal at all.
There are neon sign all over the valley.......have you ever been by a bar or a restaurant recently? I would be more concerned with the snowfall, the customer service and the community involvement that Sugarbush prides itself on than one electronic sign. The experience has changed as a result of the lights.

noski
01-10-2008, 01:01 PM
There are neon sign all over the valley.......have you ever been by a bar or a restaurant recently? Out of curiosity, can you tell me specifically where you have seen neon on the outside of any valley establishment? Internally lit signs are expressley prohibited by ordinance in all Valley towns. However, that doesn't count what is inside a business, like over a bar.

ski_resort_observer
01-10-2008, 01:50 PM
There are neon sign all over the valley.......have you ever been by a bar or a restaurant recently? Out of curiosity, can you tell me specifically where you have seen neon on the outside of any valley establishment? Internally lit signs are expressley prohibited by ordinance in all Valley towns. However, that doesn't count what is inside a business, like over a bar.

Ouch...stung by the one of the few people in the entire valley who actually would know that....I have felt that sting myself in here... :wink: :lol: If you looked especailly before the several restaurants closed down I am sure a few had internally placed neon signs. Course, like many have said in here they are so unobtrusive nobody really notices them.

Lostone
01-10-2008, 10:04 PM
This topic has gotten mauled! :shock:

Split cell phones and radios to Misc.

Continue with ads, here.

Lostone
01-11-2008, 09:17 AM
And now I have split off discussion of the past school shooting incident to Misc.

Was very hesitant to do so as the title will attract more concern than I would like, but that topic has nothing to do with the ads and won't stop on its own.

flakeydog
01-11-2008, 10:32 AM
I guess I will have to file this one under "didn't really notice until now". Even so, I dont see an issue with the ads. Kind of like those signs stores have with coke or pepsi as their main sign. As far as the screen, i think many people have bigger screens on their TVs.

As far the the law goes (not an expert on this by any means....) if it is not visible from a public highway it probably does not matter as far as signage goes in terms of size, lighting or movement.

It does bring up something I caught in the paper the other day. I think we all owe a lot to this guy...

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008801050325