PDA

View Full Version : Allyn's Lodge

snowcreek
12-30-2007, 03:49 PM
Does anyone know the story of Allyn's Lodge? Who was Allyn? Who built it? It's such a great spot.

Lostone
12-30-2007, 05:28 PM
Yes. Someone knows that.

It isn't me. :wink:

I think there is a plaque above the fireplace, saying that it was a cooperative effort between friends of her, and the US Forest Service. That doesn't answer the question as to who she was.

I'd like to hear the story, too. (I'd settle for reading it. :lol: )

Strat
12-31-2007, 10:18 AM
I believe there was a girl named Allyn who died in a plane crash en route to Sugarbush, and her family decided to make a memorial to her here. Or something of that nature, I believe I read it in some incarnation of this Sugarbush forum, but it's been a few years...

Lostone
12-31-2007, 01:45 PM
Got this from a friend...

There was a family who owned a second home in Sugarbush Village named Schecter. The mother (Bell) was already up here. The father and two children, daughter (Allyn) and son (?) were flying up in their private plane from New York for Christmas. The plane crashed and all were killed. Allyn loved skiing and often used the warming hut (now redone and named Allyn's). The accident happened sometime in the early 80s....but, my source is not sure when. Anyway, the Mother donated $and had the warming hut redone and dedicated to Allyn.

Bell also commissioned a sculptor through Honey Saltzman to create a sculpture that represents her son and husband.....It remained in her garden at their home until she died. Bell left the house to her son's two college roommates who then sold it. The current owner then donated the sculpture to Sugarbush. The sculpture used to sit in front of the Guest Services building and now sits at the top of the stairs going towards Bravo. Bell spent many hours sitting on that bench in her garden.

That is the story...........

snowcreek
12-31-2007, 02:05 PM
Thanks, Lostone. What a sad story and a nice memorial.

Sail or Ski
01-01-2008, 08:17 PM
Very interesting.........more stories please?????

History lover here!!!

HowieT2
01-01-2008, 09:12 PM
I tap the sculpture for good luck when I get up the stairs before my first run.

boze
01-02-2008, 06:56 AM
my kids enjoy playing on and around that statue...the history adds a dimension I'd not otherwise appreciate. thanks for sharing....

ski_resort_observer
01-02-2008, 07:09 AM
Very interesting.........more stories please?????

History lover here!!!

www.sugarbushhistory.com