PDA

View Full Version : Watching the radar

HowieT2
12-27-2007, 12:37 PM
Anyone else watching the radar?
Down to 32.9 on Inferno near the base. Mixed frozen precip. So far so good.

Tin Woodsman
12-27-2007, 01:03 PM
Updates from the front lines would be good. Radar looks like snow, but first hand accounts are more valuable. MRG cam doesn't show a lot of white falling, so there is concern.

FWIW, I think I just saw two boarders slide by on that cam.

HowieT2
12-27-2007, 01:23 PM
Updates from the front lines would be good. Radar looks like snow, but first hand accounts are more valuable. MRG cam doesn't show a lot of white falling, so there is concern.

started off as mixed frozen for a little while. It's been all snow since about 12:50. snowing moderately now.

Tin Woodsman
12-27-2007, 03:42 PM
I liiiiike

kcyanks1
12-27-2007, 03:47 PM
I liiiiike

You going to be around this weekend? I hope to be somewhere in northern VT, probably SB or MRG, at least Sat. or Sun.

Hawk
12-27-2007, 03:48 PM
3:46 pm - snowing moderately with no wind. 2-3 inches on the ground. :)

HowieT2
12-27-2007, 03:48 PM
I liiiiike

Just got back from the base. There is about 3" down and coming moderate to heavy. Radar looking good also. Holding steady at 31.1

Tin Woodsman
12-27-2007, 05:07 PM
I liiiiike

You going to be around this weekend? I hope to be somewhere in northern VT, probably SB or MRG, at least Sat. or Sun.
Indeed. The fam and I are driving up Friday and are plannign to ski Sat through Tuesday. The forecast from now through Tuesday makes me happy in the pants.

Radar definitely looking good, with precip extending back to the eastern shores of Lake Ontario as at 4:45. My guess is that you've got another couple hours of moderate to heavy snow before it tapers off.

ski_resort_observer
12-27-2007, 05:24 PM
It's more the temp aloft than the temps on the ground that determine the type of percipitation. If it's colder air aloft and 35F on the ground it can really dump while if it's the opposite you get freezing rain.

Hardbooter
12-27-2007, 05:38 PM

I read earlier that there was about 6 inches of boilerplate anywhere that wasn't groomed. I assume that means ALL of mad river. I suspect those boarders got what they deserved.

Knock yourself out guys. Really. I mean that literally.

BushMogulMaster
12-27-2007, 05:59 PM

I read earlier that there was about 6 inches of boilerplate anywhere that wasn't groomed. I assume that means ALL of mad river. I suspect those boarders got what they deserved.

Knock yourself out guys. Really. I mean that literally.

Actually, it's more like .5-1" of boilerplate. Most of it is getting chopped up and skiing in nicely. Haven't been over to MRG yet this season, but I'm assuming it's in the same shape that the ungroomed at the Bush is. And contrary to common believe, Mad River actually has a substantial grooming operation. They groom all the greens and probably about half the Blues every night. So there's plenty of soft skiing there, especially after today's snowfall.

KingM
12-27-2007, 06:50 PM
Actually, it's more like .5-1" of boilerplate. Most of it is getting chopped up and skiing in nicely. Haven't been over to MRG yet this season, but I'm assuming it's in the same shape that the ungroomed at the Bush is. And contrary to common believe, Mad River actually has a substantial grooming operation. They groom all the greens and probably about half the Blues every night. So there's plenty of soft skiing there, especially after today's snowfall.

I can vouch for that. MRG was good yesterday and better than good this afternoon after a few hours of snow. Still not the epic conditions of a week ago, but improving with every run. It's still snowing and there might be more tomorrow night.

Sugaree
12-27-2007, 07:30 PM
I skied at Mt. Ellen today. Groomers and Cliffs were great. Real nice bumps on Cliffs. Rim Run, Elbow and Cruiser were real nice cruisers. The au naturale trails were boilerplate. :twisted: You could put an edge into it, but very solid. Exterminator and FIS almost knocked some fillings out. By end of day, there was about 2-3", and still snowing hard. Forecast looks promising. 2-3" more and the au naturale trails should be back. :D

Hawk
12-29-2007, 08:14 AM
At 8:05 it's 35 degrees and mostly cloudy with no wind at slightly above the base elevation. Last night we got snow and sleet to the tune of about 3". I bet it's more up top. On my way out the door. :)

HowieT2
12-29-2007, 08:45 AM
foggy and skiing on wet cement

ski_resort_observer
12-29-2007, 06:04 PM
Just spoke to my neighbors who are MRG shareholders and they said the skiing was great today...guess it's all in your perspective. :D

HowieT2
12-29-2007, 07:23 PM
Just spoke to my neighbors who are MRG shareholders and they said the skiing was great today...guess it's all in your perspective. :D

I didn't mean to imply otherwise. The snow was the perfect base for the woods. Every run was fantastic.