PDA

View Full Version : Re: seafood purveyors

HowieT2
12-26-2007, 09:10 PM
Where can I get reliably good fish to cook in the MRV?

Also, I'm embarrassed to ask this but the wife insisted, where to go for a manicure that doesn't cost $50?

TIA

Lostone
12-26-2007, 10:48 PM
I think Mehurons is the only place in the valley for seafood. And as for the manicure... . . . . If you saw my nails, you'd know I'm not the one to ask. :roll: . . . . . . . . . :lol:

outofshape
12-27-2007, 10:53 AM
Mehurons is OK, but. ..

Hannaford up in Williston is the one to get seafood from. There is a long list of control procedures they adhere to and their sourcing is pretty good. I sold seafood when I got out of college as my first sales job and Hannaford was not bad. I have family memebers in the commercial fishing business and I cold bore the forum with the endless fish stories.

You probably know this, but when at the seafood counter.. it should smell like the open ocean, not low tide.

Also, too bad there is no Fulton Fish Market in VT.

As for the Manicure? Sorry.. but I will defer to those who are enthusiasts in that area.

Good luck.

jkvt
12-27-2007, 03:37 PM
Where can I get reliably good fish to cook in the MRV?

Also, I'm embarrassed to ask this but the wife insisted, where to go for a manicure that doesn't cost $50?

TIA

In The Valley, Mehurons has a good fish dept and they will order things for you if you give them enough time. Also best to get them on a delivery day or the day after, I think it is Tuesdays and Thursdays that they get fresh deliveries. I got a tuna steak there the other day that was practically sushi quality. But I must admit that there have been days I look in and pass right on by. I have never had good luck with the Shaw's for fish (other things have been fine, but just not the fish), most of the time you can smell the bleach just walking by, but YMMV.

Manicure? Try Alta or Afterglow, both in Warren.

HTH
jkvt