PDA

View Full Version : WindHolds...

neilkamman
12-16-2007, 05:16 PM
I've groused before about windholds before but not today! On my way home over AppGap mid-afternoon after a great day of lower MTN skiing, I noted with some astonishment that MRG closed BOTH the single and double for the afternoon. Our windholds were nothing like that at South. Judging from the ferocious winds in Jerusalem, it most have been hairy up top.

HowieT2
12-16-2007, 05:30 PM
I'm not complaining about anything. Today was great. Plenty to ski and the upper mountains are primed for tomorrow. It's dumping again.

As for windholds: we got a couple of great runs in before arriving at the CR chair at 8:53. Perfect, right? Wrong. Windhold after we waited about 5 minutes.
I think it would be great if there was a text message alert system for lift closings. It's technologically feasible (they use them for college campus' for emergencies). It would be great if skiers, not to mention ski patrol and instructors, could be alerted to these unfortunate events.

ski_resort_observer
12-16-2007, 06:09 PM
ski patrol is alerted by radio, everyone either gets a flash email, on the radio or by phone. I don't think text messages would be very feasible seeing how there are diferent carriers and things can change quickly. Windhold is not considered an emergency, it's to prevent an emergency. Just go with the flow or start drinking heavily if it bugs you so much. :wink:

castlerock
12-16-2007, 06:53 PM
If you got away from machinery, you could hear the wind screaming off the ridge from virtually anywhere at South. From my condo it sounded like a jet...

Lostone
12-16-2007, 07:15 PM
I thought it was great that, since they already had patrol at the top, they said hike it if you want it.

And how about the job Ross did using the singles line to fill up every chair, on Super Bravo?

Everyone said they had a great day, by the end. Plenty of skiing for everyone, and great skiing, at that. :)

And I wonder what we'll do with that powder we weren't able to get to today...? :wink:

HowieT2
12-16-2007, 08:49 PM
ski patrol is alerted by radio, everyone either gets a flash email, on the radio or by phone. I don't think text messages would be very feasible seeing how there are diferent carriers and things can change quickly. Windhold is not considered an emergency, it's to prevent an emergency. Just go with the flow or start drinking heavily if it bugs you so much. :wink:

I'm not an IT guy by trade, but I would think the text message alert system would be pretty simple and effortless. There was too much fresh snow to waste my time drinking, at least while the lifts were running.

More importantly what's the over/under on catching a lift to paradise tomorrow morning?

boze
12-16-2007, 08:54 PM

With the mountain already 'set up' to fire off an email notice to patrol, it would be handy to permit others to subscribe to an email list to receive a copy. Plenty of other ways to pretty easily do that. And I'd love to get a notice that 'patrol just dropped the ropes on Spillsville...'

There are carriers (though some notable absenses) including broadband. That same 'patrol' msg can reach very many...so equipped. Which would trigger egalitarian concerns.

Seems to be a case where - for the 'public' type partol / ops mesgs - there's intrinsic value to it, including, frequently, a high timeliness value to it.

Sure would be a nice 'convenience feature' for loyal customers and staff (hiunt: annual pass holders). :wink: :wink:

HowieT2
12-16-2007, 08:56 PM

With the mountain already 'set up' to fire off an email notice to patrol, it would be handy to permit others to subscribe to an email list to receive a copy. Plenty of other ways to pretty easily do that. And I'd love to get a notice that 'patrol just dropped the ropes on Spillsville...'

There are carriers (though some notable absenses) including broadband. That same 'patrol' msg can reach very many...so equipped. Which would trigger egalitarian concerns.

Seems to be a case where - for the 'public' type partol / ops mesgs - there's intrinsic value to it, including, frequently, a high timeliness value to it.

Sure would be a nice 'convenience feature' for loyal customers and staff (hiunt: annual pass holders). :wink: :wink:

would you get the bottle of red wine. bla blah

summitchallenger
12-16-2007, 09:47 PM
Not looking too good for tomorrow. :oops:

THE HIGHER SUMMITS FORECAST FOR VERMONT AND NORTHERN NEW YORK...

.MONDAY...SUMMITS OBSCURED IN CLOUDS...WITH SNOW SHOWERS LIKELY. HIGHS
ZERO TO 5 ABOVE. NORTHWEST WINDS 40 TO 55 MPH.

.TUESDAY...PARTLY SUNNY. HIGHS AROUND 15. NORTHWEST WINDS 35 TO 50
MPH...BECOMING WEST AT 20 TO 35 MPH IN THE AFTERNOON.