PDA

View Full Version : Patriots-Giants TV Blackout?

aejkb
12-16-2007, 06:40 AM
Does anyone know which bars have satellite TV? Waitsfield cable does not offer NFL network and I cant get satellite.

Yard Sale
12-16-2007, 10:54 AM
It's the Jets.

summitchallenger
12-16-2007, 11:14 AM
Does anyone know which bars have satellite TV? Waitsfield cable does not offer NFL network and I cant get satellite.

Can you get it on local broadcast TV? WCAX and WFFF are the CBS and Fox affiliates...

aejkb
12-16-2007, 02:20 PM
The game I am referring to is 8pm Sat. nite game on 12/29/07.The game is only carried on the NFL Network and is not going to be available on local cable; presently you can NOT order it from WaitsfieldCable. It is potentially the 16th and final regular season win for the NEW ENGLAND patriots(includes Vt.), or, as my NY guests hope, an opportunity to bust up a record run. So I am trying to find a bar that carries it on satellite, so that I can watch it with my NY brother in law, but unfortunately, not the kids. Too bad, it would have been a great family party.

summitchallenger
12-16-2007, 04:32 PM
I find it really, really hard to believe that a NE Pats Game is not going to be on TV in Vermont...

HowieT2
12-16-2007, 05:33 PM
I find it really, really hard to believe that a NE Pats Game is not going to be on TV in Vermont...

It must be carried over the air in the local market. Is the MRV not considered such for the Pats??? That would be crazy.

Then again, that'll be the perfect excuse to get out of the house with the boys.

ski_resort_observer
12-16-2007, 05:59 PM
The Pats game was on CBS, many watched it at Gatehouse on Waitsfield cable, the Giants game will be on NBC on reg cable also, according the the local TV schedule.

castlerock
12-16-2007, 07:05 PM
As of now, it will not be available on Waitsfield cable.
It is an NFL network exclusive with the only exception being the local flagship station (WCVB in Boston). So if you get WCVB, you'll have it.

NFL network is not available on Waitsfield cable (AFAIK). It is available on Direct TV (hence the search for an establishment with sattelite).

One option, if you are a Bostonian (or a New Yorker) and have broadband here, is to purchase a Slingbox. You could "sling" your local affiliate broadcast and watch it here.

This is basically a "screw you" argument between the NFL and big cable. Google will provide many references to the debacle. And of course, it is the fans that lose out.

aejkb
12-16-2007, 07:35 PM
So can anyone answer my original question--which bars/establishments have Satellite, rather than cable. It would be great if one of Sugarbush's establishments could get a dish up--I can guarantee that our collective bar tab will more than cover the cost. Hey! Win, you must be a Giants fan--how would you like to set a single night record at the Mt. Ellen lodge?

ski_resort_observer
12-16-2007, 07:49 PM
So, what you guys are saying is that even tho we have gotten all the Giants and Pats games all season long we will not be getting the last game on the regular season schedule? That would not be cool. I have been a diehard Giants fans since the days of Y.A. Title, my grandfather worked at Yankee Stadium for 35 years. On the other hand I also a realist, maybe it's good we won't be able to see it..... :lol:

summitchallenger
12-16-2007, 08:15 PM
So, what you guys are saying is that even tho we have gotten all the Giants and Pats games all season long we will not be getting the last game on the regular season schedule? That would not be cool. I have been a diehard Giants fans since the days of Y.A. Title, my grandfather worked at Yankee Stadium for 35 years. On the other hand I also a realist, maybe it's good we won't be able to see it..... :lol:

That's what I don't get...they are taking off this one game from the broadcast networks???

castlerock
12-16-2007, 08:21 PM
Eight real games...

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/games

No one cared about most of them. The Cowboys/Packers game gathered some press and complaints..

atkinson
12-16-2007, 08:32 PM
Sorry to be a party-pooper, but what the heck are you guys talking about?? The biggest storm since the last one is currently cranking and you're gabbing about some silly sport that requires tight pants and dark make-up.

Currently p-you-king outside and piling up fast. Get your head in the game boys! ;)

John

castlerock
12-16-2007, 08:34 PM
Sorry John, just filling time between refreshing the NWS radar and bouncing from weather site to blog, looking for someone to whishcast 2 days of wraparound orographics.

tomthumb
12-16-2007, 08:46 PM
This has nothing to do with Waitsfield Telecom, and everything to do with the "NFL Network." The
network" wants all of the cable providers to pay about $0.70 or so per user/per month to include the "network" in your basic cable package. That $0.70 per user is essentially for 8 games a season. As a reference, TBS costs your cable providers about $0.32 per user and provides sports, movies, etc . . . 24/7.

Do the math. The NFL network is being greedy.

Not a problem for me. I got Direct TV a long time ago because Waitsfield Telecom does not support HD.

I'm not aware of any establishment that has Direct TV or Dish Network. The issue for any commercial establishment is that they would have to purchase a commercial package, which I "assume" is pretty costly.

aejkb
12-16-2007, 09:07 PM
Sorry to be a party-pooper, but what the heck are you guys talking about?? The biggest storm since the last one is currently cranking and you're gabbing about some silly sport that requires tight pants and dark make-up.

Currently p-you-king outside and piling up fast. Get your head in the game boys! ;)

John Hey, I know that you are a real mountain man and not some lame suburban dude who watches sports, or who toils in a city for a living, but when its 8:30 PM on a Saturday night during CHRISTMAS WEEK and a BIG event football game is on you can be out there with a headlamp blazing night trails in your sweet hidden back country stashes. Me, I would prefer to hang out with friends and family and enjoy watching a football game after skiing. Maybe there is someone else in the HOSPITALITY business that employs you who can figure out that the customers who go to the RESORT that you work for are from New England and NY and that the cable blackout of the game gives Sugarbush the beautiful opportunity to make $ and happy customers. I suggested Mt. Ellen lodge. How about Timbers then, the Silo can support a Satellite dish. Other than that please answer my original question: which bars have satellite TV?

Go Figure
12-16-2007, 09:21 PM
I do not think any bar has sat tv.Unfortunatly the valley is not about inclusion anymore.Mountain employees can insult team sports fans with impunity now.
Being a Giants fan I would love to see them end the perfect season.I wiil be at a friends house with sat as My digi cable does not have nfl. :twisted:

castlerock
12-16-2007, 09:32 PM
I would love to see them end the perfect season.

But they won't..

Lostone
12-16-2007, 09:34 PM
Other than that please answer my original question: which bars have satellite TV?

Why don't you call them and ask?

We tend to try to be helpful on this board, and give info when we know it. But we have no requirement to dig information for anyone.

Another thing... Nobody on this board is posting as a mountain employee. Some are employees. I am a volunteer. Most are fans or guests, and some really don't like the place. We post as individuals.

If you require an answer from the resort, please send them an email or call them up. I'm sure they'll be happy to respond to you.

Go Figure
12-16-2007, 09:41 PM
Well,They will have to better than They are playing tonight.

aejkb
12-16-2007, 09:49 PM
Other than that please answer my original question: which bars have satellite TV?

Why don't you call them and ask?

We tend to try to be helpful on this board, and give info when we know it. But we have no requirement to dig information for anyone.

Another thing... Nobody on this board is posting as a mountain employee. Some are employees. I am a volunteer. Most are fans or guests, and some really don't like the place. We post as individuals.

If you require an answer from the resort, please send them an email or call them up. I'm sure they'll be happy to respond to you.

I wasnt responding to Atkinson as a mountain employee, I was just giving it right back to him. Im sure he can stick up for himself.

atkinson
12-16-2007, 09:49 PM
Sorry to offend. It was a joke and way to talk about the storm. I wasn't insulting where you live or how you spending time with family.

We are very much about inclusion. Timbers does not have SAT tv and I am pretty sure there aren't any spots in the Valley. To be honest, you may have to go to Montpelier/Barre or Burlington for a sports bar with SAT.

Enjoy the game.

John

p.s. Thanks for the suggestion. The F&B guys will hear about it, if they haven't thought of it already.

Lostone
12-16-2007, 09:51 PM
I'm sure he can. I was informing/reminding you that nobody on this board has any responsibility to answer your requests/demands.

aejkb
12-16-2007, 10:41 PM
I'm sure he can. I was informing/reminding you that nobody on this board has any responsibility to answer your requests/demands. Wow. I asked a simple question: who has satellite? JA ragged on us boys about being fans of a sport where men wear tight clothing. I took offense at his insinuation and after giving him a shot back, asked him my original question. now youre "informing" me about my "demands". I realize JA is a good guy and thats why you felt the need to "inform" me that no one needs to meet my "demands". I still think that the bizarre inability to watch the football game on Sat.12/29/07 at 8:30 pm is a perfect opportunity for Sugarbush to quick get satellite hookup and get a whole lot of paying customers to come to Castlerock/Timbers/Mt.Ellen. Or not.

ski_resort_observer
12-16-2007, 11:21 PM
I wasn't aware that there were any bars left in the MRV. :wink:

atkinson
12-17-2007, 08:11 AM
Have no fear. Per WDEV, Senator Patrick Leahy is calling for the NFL to work with the cable companies to provide this game in Vermont.

Stay tuned.

John

CapeSkiGuy
12-17-2007, 08:22 AM
I don't know of anywhere in the MRV. Part of the problem is the very expensive "commercial viewing" costs associated with satellite. It is infinitely more expensive to put a Sat TV rig in a business premise like a bar, than it is to have one in the home. Bars are considered a public viewing venue, and the cost to put a NFL game (or MLB baseball) on in a restaurant is much more. Most bars won't do it unless they are dedicated sports bars and build the cost into the operating expenses. If the bar has a TV and the game is on network, fine. If the bar wants NFL Network, etc. they have to pay a lot more money to the provider than it costs for a non-commercial home viewer. In short, it is a bigger business decision, and an investment, for a bar to get a satellite rig to watch games. The only place near me (down-country) is a sports bar that actually tried to avoid paying the extra money and got cut off when the provider found out. They started paying, and business is booming again on football Sundays, but it cost a lot of dough.

I'd check out some of the places in Waterbury...I've heard there are a few cool bars up that way, but I haven't been yet. If you find one, please let us know. I do my best to stay local when I am going out (for a variety of reasons) but sometimes it's nice to spread out a bit.

aejkb
12-17-2007, 10:43 AM
Have no fear. Per WDEV, Senator Patrick Leahy is calling for the NFL to work with the cable companies to provide this game in Vermont.

Stay tuned.

John Thanks for the info. I know that you're not a fan of silly football, but I "bet" that you would have a wicked great time watching the game with a mess of New Englanders and their doomed friends and family from the NY area; you have an open invitation to join us.

ski_resort_observer
12-17-2007, 05:32 PM
I hope he can pull it off. Thanks for the heads up everyone!

Putting aside the Giants performance yesterday, the weather was pretty brutal, if the Pats play as bad as they did yesterday and the Giants play well, I guess it's possible the gents could pull off the big upset. Not sure about this but I was told the Pats were favored by 24 points yesterday. Talk about not covering the spread. 8)

HowieT2
12-17-2007, 09:43 PM
I hope he can pull it off. Thanks for the heads up everyone!

Putting aside the Giants performance yesterday, the weather was pretty brutal, if the Pats play as bad as they did yesterday and the Giants play well, I guess it's possible the gents could pull off the big upset. Not sure about this but I was told the Pats were favored by 24 points yesterday. Talk about not covering the spread. 8)

As a life long Giants fan, I hope you're right, but I have no confidence whatsoever that they can beat a good team.

WWF-VT
12-18-2007, 09:42 AM
VT Radio stations that will have the game on.

WBTN Bennington 1370 AM
WXZO Burlington 96.7 FM
WEXP Rutland 101.5 FM
WIKE Newport 1490 AM
WKVT Brattleboro/Keene 92.7 FM
WSNO Barre 1450 AM
WSTJ St. Johnsbury 1340 AM
WMXR Woodstock 93.9 FM

win
12-18-2007, 08:42 PM
Even Pat Leahy, Bernie Sanders and Peter Welch have sent a letter about this. Jump on your elected Reps in New England and put the pressure on the NFL to let us all see the game!

outofshape
12-18-2007, 08:57 PM
go to directv.com, on the left hand side is an orange button "tv listings".

scroll to the date and time, hit go and poof 8:15 pm, it will be on.

am i missing something?

sugarboarder
12-18-2007, 09:10 PM
go to directv.com, on the left hand side is an orange button "tv listings".

scroll to the date and time, hit go and poof 8:15 pm, it will be on.

am i missing something?

Yes, directv is satellite...thus the original question in this thread. And this is, as stated repeatedly above, an "NFL Network" (read: Pay-per-view) game...unless the pressures being put on the NFL as stated above end up bearing fruit.

GO PATS!!!!!! :D

random_ski_guy
12-18-2007, 09:15 PM
out of shape, the nfl network is not on local cable which is the problem here. in fact the nfl network is not on local cable in much of the country because of the lofty per subscriber fee they want to charge. the local cable carriers are refusing to pick up the channel because they don't want to pass the cost on to consumers, particularly when the offerings of the channel are so limited.

at the moment cablevision refuses to carry the channel and i think time warner and comcast are holding out too. i think.

outofshape
12-18-2007, 09:25 PM
i didn't know cable was that myopic.

sugarboarder
12-18-2007, 09:39 PM
i didn't know cable was that myopic.

It's an NFL greed thing. :twisted:

outofshape
12-18-2007, 09:51 PM
They are a simple little peoples, myopic and drunk with hubris.

How stupid are they?

HowieT2
12-18-2007, 10:19 PM
out of shape, the nfl network is not on local cable which is the problem here. in fact the nfl network is not on local cable in much of the country because of the lofty per subscriber fee they want to charge. the local cable carriers are refusing to pick up the channel because they don't want to pass the cost on to consumers, particularly when the offerings of the channel are so limited.

at the moment cablevision refuses to carry the channel and i think time warner and comcast are holding out too. i think.

Both sides in this dispute share the blame. As usual, we suffer.

sugarboarder
12-18-2007, 10:34 PM
How stupid are they?

Not as stupid as this...

I actually heard the dialogue below at the Mt. Ellen base lodge here at Sugarbush last winter. I memorized it and later wrote it down because I was so horrified at the total lack of command of the Engrish Ranguage displayed therein...

Dude: "Like, I like that red like stuff, that jelly they like, put in like those jelly donuts".

Dudette: "Like NO WAY...ewww...like, you like, LIKE that stuff? Like yuck".

I s*** you not. She managed to use the word "like" three times in the space of four words...and they both used it FIVE times in each statement. They were local High School SKI team kids...that's right - like ski racers.

Then there is the time honored insult of being "double duded".

It goes like this...

Dude One: "Dude, check out that rockin' Betty over there"...(or alternatively)..."Dude, I spilled Red Bull down your snowboard boots".

Dude Two: "DUDE, dude"!!

I have never been "triple duded" - but after reading up in Wikipedia about Buffalo buffalo buffalo (etc.)...I'm sure it will happen soon! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_bu ffalo_buffalo

:shock:

freeheel_skier
12-19-2007, 07:52 AM
How stupid are they?

Not as stupid as this...

I actually heard the dialogue below at the Mt. Ellen base lodge here at Sugarbush last winter. I memorized it and later wrote it down because I was so horrified at the total lack of command of the Engrish Ranguage displayed therein...

Dude: "Like, I like that red like stuff, that jelly they like, put in like those jelly donuts".

Dudette: "Like NO WAY...ewww...like, you like, LIKE that stuff? Like yuck".

I s*** you not. She managed to use the word "like" three times in the space of four words...and they both used it FIVE times in each statement. They were local High School SKI team kids...that's right - like ski racers.

Then there is the time honored insult of being "double duded".

It goes like this...

Dude One: "Dude, check out that rockin' Betty over there"...(or alternatively)..."Dude, I spilled Red Bull down your snowboard boots".

Dude Two: "DUDE, dude"!!

I have never been "triple duded" - but after reading up in Wikipedia about Buffalo buffalo buffalo (etc.)...I'm sure it will happen soon! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_bu ffalo_buffalo

:shock:

LMFAO :lol: :lol: :lol:

Like come on Dude! :lol:

Lostone
12-19-2007, 08:16 AM
Like come on Dude! :lol:

Don't you mean, "Dude! Like come on Dude!" :wink:

aejkb
12-19-2007, 12:33 PM
Even Pat Leahy, Bernie Sanders and Peter Welch have sent a letter about this. Jump on your elected Reps in New England and put the pressure on the NFL to let us all see the game!

If the politicians in Texas and Wisconsin (also regional teams) couldnt get it done then I doubt the Vermont delegation can. This is the equation. 1. Its a big game 2. It involves teams from NE and NY. 3. The MRV/Sugarbush/Claybrook is going to be filled with vacationing people from those areas on the night of the game(12-29-07)-many who wont find out until game time that they cant watch the game on cable. 4. The game is available on Satellite TV. 5. The MRV appears to have no public establishments with satellite TV. Here is the answer(from the Mountaintops): Summit Ventures buys a Satellite hookup for Timbers/Castlerock and announces to its smart and demanding customers: we have the game on Saturday nite, come and have a great time, buy food and drink, and remember that there was only one smart CEO in the NE Ski Resort business who was prescient enough to get the game available to you, the smart, well heeled customer. I have a dream!

Fourwide
12-19-2007, 04:08 PM
I can absolutely promise you that missing these NFL Networks broadcasts is not all a bad thing. Even if you turn the sound off, you know he's still there.

tomthumb
12-19-2007, 05:57 PM

If the politicians in Texas and Wisconsin (also regional teams) couldnt get it done then I doubt the Vermont delegation can. This is the equation. 1. Its a big game 2. It involves teams from NE and NY. 3. The MRV/Sugarbush/Claybrook is going to be filled with vacationing people from those areas on the night of the game(12-29-07)-many who wont find out until game time that they cant watch the game on cable. 4. The game is available on Satellite TV. 5. The MRV appears to have no public establishments with satellite TV. Here is the answer(from the Mountaintops): Summit Ventures buys a Satellite hookup for Timbers/Castlerock and announces to its smart and demanding customers: we have the game on Saturday nite, come and have a great time, buy food and drink, and remember that there was only one smart CEO in the NE Ski Resort business who was prescient enough to get the game available to you, the smart, well heeled customer. I have a dream!

Well, sorry to say you may be dreaming indeed. I'm sure Timbers and Castlerock would be packed with happy football fans, and the bar tabs would be plentiful. However, the cost of the commercial contract for the satellite package (which would most likely be a 2 year commitment) would eat up those tabs pretty quickly. Being Christmas Week, with most of the valley's lodging booked solid, I'd bet that both the Castlerock Pub and Timbers will be pretty slammed with or without the game. If Win did get the satellite package up and running for the game, I'd bet both establishments would be so overcrowded once the word got out, that the customer experience would suffer, and most of the customers wouldn't even be able to see the screens. If by any miracle of Christmas this did happen, I'd suggest projecting the game on a large screen in the Gate House :idea:

CapeSkiGuy
12-20-2007, 09:18 AM

Well, sorry to say you may be dreaming indeed. I'm sure Timbers and Castlerock would be packed with happy football fans, and the bar tabs would be plentiful. However, the cost of the commercial contract for the satellite package (which would most likely be a 2 year commitment) would eat up those tabs pretty quickly. Being Christmas Week, with most of the valley's lodging booked solid, I'd bet that both the Castlerock Pub and Timbers will be pretty slammed with or without the game. If Win did get the satellite package up and running for the game, I'd bet both establishments would be so overcrowded once the word got out, that the customer experience would suffer, and most of the customers wouldn't even be able to see the screens. If by any miracle of Christmas this did happen, I'd suggest projecting the game on a large screen in the Gate House :idea:

Thanks for echoing my previous statement on the commercial costs of Satellite TV. It really is unfortunate that they package it that way, but that's why they read that disclaimer at the end of every game, saying "for home viewing only" and "express written consent of the NFL" Bars and restaurants are considered commercial public viewing, and the NFL wants its pound of flesh. Another way they do it is by trademarking the words "Super Bowl". Keep an eye out for it as the playoffs start...Advertisers use the terms "big game" or "championship game" but not the actual phrase "Super Bowl" because if they do it in a commercial, they have to pay the NFL huge money for licensing. Now...what does that have to do with us at SB? Nothing, except to show that the NFL has some very aggressive people protecting their "brand" from what they see as infringement. If you want it, you pay. If your business wants it, you pay dearly. So I doubt we will see a big-screen projection of the broadcast, or even a small screen version, no matter how much we wish for it, unless it is on broadcast network TV. It's all about revenue.

aejkb
12-20-2007, 10:38 AM
How come you can watch the game on Satellite in lodges/bars at Stowe and Killington? Maybe the people at Claybrook, or the people who are spending major bucks to have family vacations at Sugarbush can tell their friends in Boston and NY that "Its better here"

gone.skiing
12-20-2007, 10:51 AM
Watched super bowl a few years ago at Mangy Moose... Great fun with people from all over cheering for both teams. Good snow or not it would be great to be able to watch playoffs at the bush.

HowieT2
12-20-2007, 11:09 AM
Watched super bowl a few years ago at Mangy Moose... Great fun with people from all over cheering for both teams. Good snow or not it would be great to be able to watch playoffs at the bush.

I've been coming to SB for superbowl for the last 7-8 years and the offerings are slim. I never understand why the mtn doesn't set up some kind of a party.

tomthumb
12-20-2007, 11:28 AM
How come you can watch the game on Satellite in lodges/bars at Stowe and Killington? Maybe the people at Claybrook, or the people who are spending major bucks to have family vacations at Sugarbush can tell their friends in Boston and NY that "Its better here"

Dude, you can watch any of the other NFL games that are broadcast on Network TV or ESPN at any lodge/bar in the country including Castlerock. The issue here is the "NFL Network" which broadcasts one game a week, and is only available on Satellite because Direct TV and Dish Network caved into the NFL Network's lofty demands. Are there lodges/bars @ K-mart and Stowe that have Satellite and access to the NFL Network? I hope people's family vacations (regardless of where they are) aren't centered around one football game. "It's better here" because the focus is on enjoying outdoor activity with your family, not sitting at a bar watching the tube, ignoring your family.

WWF-VT
12-20-2007, 11:33 AM

I've been coming to SB for superbowl for the last 7-8 years and the offerings are slim. I never understand why the mtn doesn't set up some kind of a party.

Superbowl now starts after 6 PM on a Sunday night. You can get a full day of skiiing in and drive home ( in my case 3 hours) and still make the kickoff. Super Bowl parties are great if there is a local team ( Patriots ) in the game. Most people just don't get too passionate about a match up like last year's Indy vs Chicago

HowieT2
12-20-2007, 12:27 PM

Superbowl now starts after 6 PM on a Sunday night. You can get a full day of skiiing in and drive home ( in my case 3 hours) and still make the kickoff. Super Bowl parties are great if there is a local team ( Patriots ) in the game. Most people just don't get too passionate about a match up like last year's Indy vs Chicago

or even better, do a full day of skiing on sunday, watch the game in SB and ski monday morning before going home. That's what we do. Having a public establishment to watch the game is great. Last year we watched it at the smokehouse. Timbers could be a good venue

gone.skiing
12-20-2007, 12:41 PM
I hope people's family vacations (regardless of where they are) aren't centered around one football game. "It's better here" because the focus is on enjoying outdoor activity with your family, not sitting at a bar watching the tube, ignoring your family.

Dude, you are so high on that soap box, I am worried about you getting enough oxygen.

tomthumb
12-20-2007, 01:11 PM
I hope people's family vacations (regardless of where they are) aren't centered around one football game. "It's better here" because the focus is on enjoying outdoor activity with your family, not sitting at a bar watching the tube, ignoring your family.

Dude, you are so high on that soap box, I am worried about you getting enough oxygen.

No soap box here pal, just pointing out that your vacation should not be ruined by missing a football game. That being said, I'm all for the game being on for all to see. The NFL network is loving the fact that everyone wants to see this game, and customers are pissed at their cable providers for not including the NFL network in their programming. I bet you'll see it as a premium channel by next season . . . Then again, out of the 8 games, there were only 2 that anyone cared about.

aejkb
12-20-2007, 01:48 PM

Dude, you can watch any of the other NFL games that are broadcast on Network TV or ESPN at any lodge/bar in the country including Castlerock. The issue here is the "NFL Network" which broadcasts one game a week, and is only available on Satellite because Direct TV and Dish Network caved into the NFL Network's lofty demands. Are there lodges/bars @ K-mart and Stowe that have Satellite and access to the NFL Network? I hope people's family vacations (regardless of where they are) aren't centered around one football game. "It's better here" because the focus is on enjoying outdoor activity with your family, not sitting at a bar watching the tube, ignoring your family.

Yes, there are bars at Stowe and Killington that have satellite TV. there are actually bars. Unlike you, I couldnt give a rat's ass about satellite TV vs. cable vs. NFL Network. I want to watch the game and its at night-- after Ive gone skiing and had dinner with my family. If you would invite me and my family to your house to watch in on your HD Satellite TV, I will bring the beers and chips. My family was really looking forward to the game. Its better skiing here, but not the apres ski resort amenities. Im trying, without any help from you, to get the resort part of Sugarbush to figure out that they should get the game. You live in MRV and have satellite TV. I dont .Like many others I live far away and spend a crap load of $ at Sugarbush for my vacation time. Why is it unreasonable to ask Win to do what I cant: get a satellite hookup for the football game.

aejkb
12-20-2007, 02:02 PM
Oh yeah and another thing, if you do invite me and my extended family over to watch the game on your Dish Network, please dont refer to me as "Dude..."

WWF-VT
12-20-2007, 02:13 PM
NFL Network is only avaialble on AT&T U-Verse, DirecTV, DISH Network, or Verizon.

If you really want to watch the game that night you can drive to the Boston area and watch the game for free on Channel 5 WCVB-TV.

Not sure what this thread has to do with skiing or Sugarbush - time to move to "Miscellaneous Discussions"

tomthumb
12-20-2007, 02:55 PM
Oh yeah and another thing, if you do invite me and my extended family over to watch the game on your Dish Network, please dont refer to me as "Dude..."

Sorry you were affended by being called "Dude," it was not my intention. I understand and respect your position and was't trying to rub anything in your face. But as others have mentioned in this thread, the cost of implementation for a commercial Satellite package is big $$$ and a long-term contract. Seems like a big financial commitment for one game. It would make more sense for an establishment the Smokehouse to buy into a package, and promote it year round with various sports, fights, etc. . .

Honestly, I would invite you and your extended family over if I wasn't already in the position of entertainin my inlaws and my own extended family.

Yard Sale
12-20-2007, 03:22 PM
Not sure what this thread has to do with skiing or Sugarbush - time to move to "Miscellaneous Discussions"

Except to say screw it, I'm skiing. Disapointed with the NFL Network situatuion and the prosoect of missing the game on the tube? Sure I am, but life is full of tougher choices than this one. If you need to see this game, and they are willing to go to great lengths to do so, power to you. I commend you on your fanhood. If by chance it is to be aired at some local establishment, I'm there and I'm buy'n. Otherwise, after skiing, I plan on enjoying the game old school on the radio like back in the day (Pre-Parcells) when the Patsies were blacked out locally on a weekly basis. I imagine some of you Johnny Come Latleys probably haven't had to deal with this before. :P

Lostone
12-20-2007, 04:23 PM

Because the topic was about his hopes that Sugarbush would get Direct TV, so that fans could watch the game during Après Ski. Not saying I support the idea, but just that it has to do with Sugarbush, in the remote. 8)

noski
12-20-2007, 04:56 PM
... in the remote. 8) nice.

Strat
12-20-2007, 05:53 PM
I may be completely wrong on this but I feel like the Clubhouse at the Golf Course had a Satellite dish on the side at one point - can anyone confirm this vague memory?

sugarboarder
12-20-2007, 10:15 PM
"It's better here" because the focus is on enjoying outdoor activity with your family, not sitting at a bar watching the tube, ignoring your family.

:roll: ... my family loves watching the Patriots together...and enjoying outdoor activity together...we don't see those things as mutually exclusive. We, and I suspect plenty of others, would probably go somewhere else if "being better here" meant we couldn't do the former...but I doubt SB would NOT TRY to get the game because of some high and mighty dogma that watching a football game would somehow mean it is NOT better here...GO PATS!!! :)

win
12-21-2007, 04:48 PM
I don't want to get everyone's hope up, but we may be getting closer to a solution!

sugarboarder
12-21-2007, 04:56 PM
I don't want to get everyone's hope up, but we may be getting closer to a solution!

Good luck! Really good chance to score some points with your peeps! I mean, Boston and New York markets? Oh yeah! 8)

aejkb
12-21-2007, 06:10 PM
I don't want to get everyone's hope up, but we may be getting closer to a solution! Thank you for making the effort. I know that you can get it done. The game will be a great event for a lot of people to get together and have a memorable time. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

HowieT2
12-21-2007, 10:35 PM

Whether it happens or not, thanks for the effort.

gottdogg
12-26-2007, 05:28 PM
Rest easy, Patriot Fans.

Pats' historic game will be available to all -- Simulcast. Go GIANTS.

HowieT2
12-26-2007, 05:37 PM
Rest easy, Patriot Fans.

Pats' historic game will be available to all -- Simulcast. Go GIANTS.

and all that for us folk at SB. Who woulda thunk it.

tomthumb
12-26-2007, 06:29 PM
WOW, Win has some serious pull :lol:

Now everyone can watch from their favorite local establishment!

GO PATS!!!

outofshape
12-26-2007, 06:49 PM
Wow. Yee hah! Go Pats!

Go Figure
12-26-2007, 09:35 PM
Dec. 26 (Bloomberg) -- The game between the unbeaten New England Patriots and the New York Giants will air on network television after the National Football League arranged to share the feed from its in-house outlet with broadcast partners NBC and CBS.

Both networks will carry the NFL Network's feed, the first three-network simulcast in league history and the first time since the league's initial Super Bowl in 1967 that more than one network has televised a contest.

The move, announced in an NFL news release, ends the possibility that fans without the NFL Network wouldn't be able to watch the Patriots go for a 16-0 season record on Dec. 29 against the Giants (10-5) in East Rutherford, New Jersey. The league's network reaches only about a third of the more than 100 million U.S. TV households.

``We have taken this extraordinary step because it is in the best interest of our fans,'' NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said.

The last NFL team to go unbeaten was the 1972 Miami Dolphins, who won 14 regular-season and three playoff games to finish 17-0.

The NFL is locked in a dispute with some of the nation's largest cable providers over the price of carrying its network, which is airing its eighth and final game this season.

Go Giants :D

sugarboarder
12-26-2007, 10:10 PM
It HAD to happen! Glad they saw the light.

Giants have no chance of course...but at least y'all will get to see it! :P

ski_resort_observer
12-26-2007, 10:12 PM
I think we can thank Sen Pat Leahy who is chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee who had previously given the NFL anti-trust waivers and threatned to revisit those waivers if the game was not made availible. I believe he met with Goodell this morning.