PDA

View Full Version : Saturday 12/15 TR

summitchallenger
12-15-2007, 08:16 PM
Date(s) Skied: December 15, 2007

Resort or Ski Area: Sugarbush

Conditions: P/MG and Chowder

Weather: COLD bright sunshine in the AM, clouding over, winds picking up out of the E in the PM.

2007-2008 Trip Report: 11

Trip Report: A cold one. Well worth the trip. For an “abbreviated version,” my day was seven runs off of Super Bravo, then a run off Castlerock, then 2-3 runs off of Gatehouse/North Lynx, lunch, one run down Super Bravo to Heaven’s Gate, one run off of Castlerock, two spins down North Lynx, three more off Heaven’s Gate, and three runs off Super Bravo. Phew.

Now for the details.

Got there at 8:20 or so making great time. I was on the lift at 8:30. By coincidence I ran into SK, an attorney I worked with this summer. Nice guy and a great skier, even if he grew up in UTAH. We took six runs together and talked law, skis (mainly), the fact that BOTH of us had similar life experiences, and memories of SB. I didn’t know he was a regular. He reminisced about the old gondola…not to date him :wink:

We did two quick spins down Spring Fling. On the second run I found the chowder on one side…amazing. The sun was warm, but the shade was cold.

We then jumped onto Birdland. Nice groomed stuff. Soft in places, but nice. SK loved Lower OG so much we did it the next run. He was :lol: because he got his knees in his chin off of one of the rolls. SK usually skis Mt. Ellen, so this was a change of pace.

From here we closed with two runs on Spring Fling, with me driving the Monsters through the crud and chowder on the side.

By now it was a bit after 10am and I went to Allyn’s to pick up any SkiMRVer’s. On my way out from a warm up in the lodge, I ran into Lostone himself. We chatted…with him saying that this was going to be an easy day. We then burst down Downspout, with me jumping onto Domino. Nice soft bumps.

After a 10 minute wait at Castlerock, I found myself on the chair that I had not ridden in over four years. It was nice to get back…and after a warm up, I was down Castlerock Run. Overall, not bad, but some thin spots and my skis got a few more nicks. I drove onto Cotillion, an old favorite of mine. Wow. Soft bumps and all the chowder I could eat…nice.

I skied out to the bottom since the line was a bit long. Gatehouse was next. Deeper Sleeper caught my eye, so I had to inspect. Wow. Upper was in great shape and I was on fire. Lower was a bit thin…and I lost my rhythm. Tree runs on December 15th???? Simply awesome. :D

I had heard on the lift that Sunrise was mint, so I had to verify that rumor and I can vouch that it was not rumor, but a fact. Soft snow and nobody at all. Nice chowder. I skied down to Deeper Sleeper for more sweetness, grabbed lunch for Allyn’s, and swapped skis.

For the afternoon I was going to go all out on the short boards. First was Lew’s Line, which was awesome until I got to that massive headwall :o I gingerly slid down it and then got back into the rhythm.

Since I was at Heaven’s Gate, I HAD to do a Paradise Run. It was nice, but the rocks are poking through here and there, but that is what short skis are for…to navigate around them and get the goods. The next storm should help that. Lower Paradise was a dream as usual. What a great run…

I skied to Castlerock and timed it such that there was NO line. I was convinced to try Rumble…with Liftline Headwall, the only on-piste options I had not explored. I stared into the woods from the lift, not knowing what to expect. As I skied down a thin Liftline, I cut onto Rumble and caught myself before falling off the first rock. Let’s just say that this run humbled me. The opening salvo is simply nuts…one line on the left, one on the right, nasty ledge in between. I took left, then right and into the trees. So I overshot and ended up on my rear in waist deep snow…nobody saw me :wink: After recovering, I was off. I cut right and then back through the woods to the hairiest part of the run…non-stop fallline, rocks everywhere, and bumps galore. Intense. I navigated down it, getting a good rhythm 60% down. My Monsters would have been toast on some of this stuff, but with 110’s I could jump around the nasty spots. Lower Rumble was a dream. I cut onto Lower Liftline and got into the groove.

OK, the crowds were back at CR, so I headed to North Lynx. A nice little area. Birches was great, and Morningstar was :beer: I usually can’t get a good line on that trail but man oh man did I score today. Great bumps and cover. NO snowmaking yet???

I made a straight line for the base…though as scary as it was, I did manage to get down that all-too-steep Waterfall :wink:

Headed back to Heaven’s Gate via Deathspout. Ripcord was butter…amazing. I did my hike up to the summit, and then headed down Jester to Spillsville. Guys, there’s no need for the thin cover sign. That trail is probably the best I have ever seen it…amazing.

My legs were pretty much toast. I skied down Jester to Allyn’s, and then presumably out, right? Wrong. Pondered for a minute and then stormed down Stein’s. The upper part was thin and bumped up big time, but the lower part was STELLAR. And how many days of snowmaking?

Jumped on the lift intending to do Moonshine and Twist. The Mall grabbed me instead. I was getting tired, but good snow.

Grabbed my backpack at Allyn’s and closed it out with Upper Twist to Moonshine. It was great, but my legs were done. I was the guy limping out today…came close to skiing opening to closing today.

freeheel_skier
12-16-2007, 12:34 AM
Nice TR! How do you remember all that :? I can't remember what I ate for breakfast :D