PDA

View Full Version : Re: boot dryers

HowieT2
12-12-2007, 02:02 PM
I'm looking into buying a boot dryer/heater. Anyone have any recommendations?

TIA

mattlucas
12-12-2007, 03:16 PM
Whatever you get, having dry boots is a must! You'll be way happier....

kcyanks1
12-12-2007, 03:49 PM

TIA

I have these cylindrical sticks that you plug into an outlet and stick in each boot. I leave them in overnight. They were pretty cheap, maybe $15-30, I can't remember exactly. (I'm at work so I can't say exactly what they are.) They work very well. My boots used to be soaked the next morning and now they are dry. They are not heaters -- while the boot is warm immediately after they are removed, the boot won't be warm by the time you are at the ski area. As I figure you know, there also are battery-operated heaters that you charge up before skiing and leave on while skiing.

smootharc
12-12-2007, 03:52 PM
http://www.dryguy.net/PRD_drying.htm

Have the Thermanator - 4 pairs of ski boots (or any footwear or gloves) at once.

And the Dry guy 4 chamber tall air/heat dryer.

Both work very well, and seem well built.

HowieT2
12-12-2007, 03:54 PM

TIA

I have these cylindrical sticks that you plug into an outlet and stick in each boot. I leave them in overnight. They were pretty cheap, maybe $15-30, I can't remember exactly. (I'm at work so I can't say exactly what they are.) They work very well. My boots used to be soaked the next morning and now they are dry. They are not heaters -- while the boot is warm immediately after they are removed, the boot won't be warm by the time you are at the ski area. As I figure you know, there also are battery-operated heaters that you charge up before skiing and leave on while skiing.

Thanks. I think those are called dry sticks and they are portable. I've seen ones that blow air into the boots and others that radiate heat. The former are much more expensive, but I don't know if they are more effective.

Lostone
12-12-2007, 05:33 PM
I am using Snapdry. It is forced barely warm air. It works great to dry and warm the boots.

I also have Happy Feet, which is the tubes in the boots. I was pretty happy with them (Happy with happy feet? :lol: :oops: :roll: ) but Dave, at Mountainside said that he's seen a couple pair of footbeds ruined by them, were they to put out too much heat.

The ones I had didn't put out too much heat, but I got a good deal on the Snapdry, and like the method more.

And I agree that putting on warm, dry boots is a great way to start the ski day. :wink:

mattlucas
12-12-2007, 05:42 PM
sort of related:

I haven't had good experiences my last couple times at Mountainside, what do you guys think of Alpine Options as a place to get my Scarpa AT boots fitted/molded?

Windshield Ski Bum
12-12-2007, 08:10 PM
Although this is second hand, I have heard good things from many discriminating skiers about Alpine options. One of my friends from MRG was very impressed with the way they fitted his AT boots.

HowieT2
12-12-2007, 08:14 PM
Thanks for all your insights. I think I'm going to go with the thermonator. Has a cool name.

CapeSkiGuy
12-12-2007, 09:16 PM
sort of related:

I haven't had good experiences my last couple times at Mountainside, what do you guys think of Alpine Options as a place to get my Scarpa AT boots fitted/molded?

I just bought boots at AO this past week. Joe does a fantastic job of fitting, and makes certain his customers are happy. He went out of his way to make certain I was a satisfied customer, and as a result has earned my continuing business. I recommend the shop without reservation. Definitely check it out!

skiladi
12-12-2007, 10:13 PM
I got a Peet as a gift a few years back. The one pair at a time model (about $40). Works great!

MntMan4Bush
12-14-2007, 10:16 AM
I can also recommend Alpine Options with enthusiasm. They took the time to make sure I had the right boot and that it fit right. I got a custom foot bed that has treated me pretty well and I've been in a couple of times to "fine tune" the fit. They never give you any trouble for wanting to make a slight adjustment after the boot starts breaking in. In fact when I was in there this lady brought in her boots for a tinkering and my guess was that they weren't exactly that year's model and she'd done that maybe once or twice before (read 30 or 40 times) and Joe helped her out and the smile never left his face. Most places would try and sell you a new boot. In fact I sent a friend there for boots and after sizing him up Joe determined that the best boot for him was one he unfortunately didn't have in stock. Rather then fit him into another boot he knew wouldn't be best for my friend he sent him to a competitor. You're not going to find a better place then A.O. They've got my business for life.

summitchallenger
12-14-2007, 07:54 PM
My old hair blowdryer, complete with SB and Burke stickers, does the trick. Cost to me: $0.

mattlucas
12-17-2007, 10:18 PM
I stopped by to see Joe - the man is a fountain of boot knowledge. That's one of the best shops anywhere.