PDA

View Full Version : Lift inspection question

Stumpy
12-05-2007, 03:32 PM
Anyone out there know the status of the Castle Rock lift inspection?

sugarboarder
12-05-2007, 04:06 PM
I talked to Win yesterday (yes, he talks to me for those of you familiar with last year's posts)...and he said they hope to get it inspected and open for the weekend, but no promises.

djd66
12-05-2007, 04:24 PM
Note to the State of Vermont: For the amount of money this mountain and area property owners send your way in property taxes - get your butts in gear and get the inspection done ASAP.

Thank you,
Area Property Owner and Tax Payer

random_ski_guy
12-05-2007, 08:04 PM
I talked to Win yesterday (yes, he talks to me for those of you familiar with last year's posts)...and he said they hope to get it inspected and open for the weekend, but no promises.

Sugarboarder WTF! :shock: I almost spit my coffee to see your name up here. I thought you left for snowier mountains out west. Someplace with private race training facilities. A place where nobody asks you to setup or take down a race course. A place where the resort management that trolls the message boards is responsive to every need of worthy athletes in training.

I kid, I kid. :P

sugarboarder
12-05-2007, 08:44 PM

Sugarboarder WTF! :shock: I almost spit my coffee to see your name up here. I thought you left for snowier mountains out west. Someplace with private race training facilities. A place where nobody asks you to setup or take down a race course. A place where the resort management that trolls the message boards is responsive to every need of worthy athletes in training.

I kid, I kid. :P

Ha - I decided it was more important to hang around here and bug the crap out of all you folks!

I kid, I kid too. :P

Actually, lots of changes going on in my personal life. As good as the offer to join the Park City Snowboard Team was, it would not have been the smart thing to do financially. Health issues too. Maybe in the future, who knows. I'm still going to race this year - gotta defend my National title(s) dontcha know. I'm pre-qualified as last years champ so no need or pressure to qualify this winter - I can just go out and cut it loose and not worry about DNF's or missing a race here and there...it's a nice feeling. Nationals are in Copper this year so at least I'll get out there at the end of the year. I also MAY be moving to or towards Burlington for a new job, snd their corporate passes are at Stowe and Bolton - although Win told me yesterday that if I can get 10-15 people together we would qualify for SB corporate passes...but maybe too late for that at this point. Lot's of stuff up in the air right now.

I know you kid, but just for the record - I never asked to have race courses set up and taken down for me. In fact, I offered to SB and Matt O'Brien (SB race director last year) to help set up and/or take down course, for free, but they didn't take me up on the offer. Seriously.

As an interesting aside, I started racing skateboards again this summer for the first time in 22 years. Win let me use the "C" lot at LP as a training space all summer - nice grade, fresh pavement, no cars. He didn't have to do that and I have thanked him privately and publicly on this board for the opportunity. I trained up there 2-3 times a week and managed to get myself qualified for the World Championships in North Carolina this past September, finishing 25th in the Amateur division out of 38. Ended up the season ranked 21st in the World Ams, out of 610...and more importantly had the time of my life doing so. I thought those days were long gone. I shot some photos at the Worlds - if anyone is interested they are on my website at:
http://www.cloudtenweb.com/events/worlds2007/worlds2007_slideshow.html

It looks like not so bad a year to be in the East so far...LP yesterday was just phenomenal for December 4th. First time I have been just freeriding in a long time...pretty fun...the last three years I was running gates 99.9% of the time I was on snow.

Come on up RSG, it's looking good!!! :D

random_ski_guy
12-08-2007, 07:51 AM
Hey Sugarboarder, sorry for the slow response. I had no idea just had successful you have been over the past year, congratulations to you. I'd love to get up to mtn soon, but I have too much going on to be able to make any plans until much later in the ski season (moving to a new house, expecting father). A best case scenario is that I start skiing in February, which will be no doubt my latest start date on a ski season since I was seven. Anyway, I just one year of sacrifice, I hope. Best to you with your athletic endeavors, quite amazing.

sugarboarder
12-08-2007, 08:40 AM
Hey Sugarboarder, sorry for the slow response. I had no idea just had successful you have been over the past year, congratulations to you. I'd love to get up to mtn soon, but I have too much going on to be able to make any plans until much later in the ski season (moving to a new house, expecting father). A best case scenario is that I start skiing in February, which will be no doubt my latest start date on a ski season since I was seven. Anyway, I just one year of sacrifice, I hope. Best to you with your athletic endeavors, quite amazing.

Thank you for your kind words RSG...I'm with ya on the late start to the season all of a sudden. I got the new job in Burlington and will be moving closer to it, so the next month or so has priorities other than riding and racing...but at least now I'll be able to afford it a little better! I'm glad I have no worries about qualifying this year - the next trick will be to get time off for the Nationals...but if I have to skip it that's the breaks. first time I've put life before sports in three years. Congrats on your imminent fatherhood, way to go!!!! 8)

ski_resort_observer
12-08-2007, 06:31 PM
Just wanted to give everyone a heads up that the Castlerock lift won't be spinning tomorrow due to a mechanical problem. Hiking over from HG or hiking up will be allowed

win
12-09-2007, 07:15 AM
Late in the afternoon, the gear box in The Castlerock Lift overheated, and we had to shut it down. This type of repair is likely to take a few days as we need to bring in someone from Poma. As we have noted we will Patrol the area and allow hiking over from Heaven's Gate today. We will get the lift running as soon as we possibly can.

win
12-09-2007, 06:38 PM
Our lift mechanics found the problem and fixed the lift, so Castlerock lift will be up and running tomorrow morning again. I did notice that quite a few did hike over today.

The forecast is looking really good right through next weekend, so I hope to see all of you again in a few days!