PDA

View Full Version : Valley Economics

smootharc
12-05-2007, 09:07 AM
Though I'm bummed at my MPD's (missed powder day's).......sounds like a great past few days....I'm glad for a solid base being laid down on the slopes, and hope moving forward Ullr will continue his benevolent ways.

But at my desk I did get to thinking that I'm happy for the MR valley as a whole. Without taking too much for granted moving forward (weatherwise), I'm hopeful this early snow, which stands out starkly in contrast to the misery of last year's december / early January, will result in a great mind-set from those in the valley, and those contemplating coming to the valley. I'm hoping the shops, eateries, lodges, ski areas, and the entire valley will benefit from a solid, white holiday season. I'm hoping that instead of cancellations, like last year, that an accelerated bunch of reservations will come in, and that the valley will be full during this important revenue generating time.

Anyways, don't know why that popped into my head, but I do hope the Valley will harvest heartily from this early, and hopefully sustained, whiteness.

P.S. I did spend time in The White Room on Sunday. Unfortunately, it was just a temporary envelopment in the snow guns on Snowball.

noski
12-05-2007, 10:59 AM
Though I'm bummed at my MPD's (missed powder day's).......sounds like a great past few days....I'm glad for a solid base being laid down on the slopes, and hope moving forward Ullr will continue his benevolent ways.

But at my desk I did get to thinking that I'm happy for the MR valley as a whole. Without taking too much for granted moving forward (weatherwise), I'm hopeful this early snow, which stands out starkly in contrast to the misery of last year's december / early January, will result in a great mind-set from those in the valley, and those contemplating coming to the valley. I'm hoping the shops, eateries, lodges, ski areas, and the entire valley will benefit from a solid, white holiday season. I'm hoping that instead of cancellations, like last year, that an accelerated bunch of reservations will come in, and that the valley will be full during this important revenue generating time.

Anyways, don't know why that popped into my head, but I do hope the Valley will harvest heartily from this early, and hopefully sustained, whiteness.

P.S. I did spend time in The White Room on Sunday. Unfortunately, it was just a temporary envelopment in the snow guns on Snowball.

Your sentiments are appreciated. :)

12-06-2007, 11:24 PM

Smooth-

Also hope you're on the mark here in regard to the MRV commerce being another benefactor of the bountiful early season snow "harvest"!

With respect to capturing the attention of “new” business, it would seem more likely to happen during a period of time when property value is reasonable, the resort is expanding and focused on all four (three but year round) seasons, and there is a renewed demand for services and entertainment on and off the resort as well as in the region (right now).

The balance needed for new biz opportunity will be carrying the overhead across the bridge between seasons without closing down and losing exposure.
The short answer to part of a larger more complex challenge is possibly developing a multi purpose/flexible space, building, and/or property that can be shared by different “complimentary” businesses with their own unique beneficial times of day, week, and season.
Without tipping my hat here, there are a few ideas that come to mind.

Most likely candidates to succeed in new biz ventures are those of us who are already here, passionate about the area, understanding and respectful of the "cultural" environment of the MRV, and realize that whatever businesses are developed must be supportive of the values of the people who live, work, and play in the Valley, as well as being considerate of the "planetary" environment and offering some stewardship with sensitivity to retaining the splendor and beauty of the surrounding area.
Development which doesn’t spoil the area is improbable in most peoples minds, although can be done if enough thought and respect go into it and the developers can be demonstrative about what they propose to accomplish in a positive, convincing, and enriching manner.

Anyway, way too much cappuccino, and way too long winded, but you had made an excellent observation which is inspirational, and could spark interesting topic of conversation for a lift ride someday soon......well after we‘ve exhausted discussion about how awesome the early season snow and riding is of course!

smootharc
12-07-2007, 10:22 AM
Anyway, way too much cappuccino....

Is there such a thing as too much cappuccino ? I didn't realize that was possible.

Your thoughts go well beyond my scope and understanding of Valley business success and development. Interesting and insightful.

My caffein-addled thoughts usually involve Beavis and Butthead jokes, which I toss out on my way to the Loo.... :lol: