View Full Version : Trip report 12/03

Lostone
12-03-2007, 09:36 PM
Date(s) Skied: 12-03-2007

Resort or Ski Area: Duh!

Conditions: :D :D :D

Long Trip Report:
3 First real powder day!

Got to the liftline around 8:30. I was in the eighth chair. On the way up, I saw that Jester had been groomed. I’d seen the trail report and knew that Lower Downspout had been groomed. As we got toward the top, the people in the first chair started down Birdland, which was the only trail ungroomed, at the bottom. I looked up as we got off, and could see Upper Jester had been groomed. My only hope was Organgrinder, so I headed that way.

I didn’t race to Heaven’s Gate. There were patches of untracked, here and there, and I tried to hit as many as I could, while maintaining speed toward the lift. People had beat me to the lift, but most of them were waiting for a few that hadn’t. There were only two chairs with people, ahead of me. At the top, I headed for Organgrinder.

The snow on top was real nice, tho a little heavier than I expected. Underneath… slick. Figured the adjustments to make it work, and blasted the rest of the way down the trail, happy that I’d gotten some of the best of the only powder, left. Looking up, I could see a lot of other people had the same idea, and figured that was the run, for that trail.

Back down to Heaven’s Gate and back up, I was hoping to find something good left on Jester. As I got close to the top, I could see the patrollers adjusting the snow fence at the top of Ripcord. As I got to the top, I saw a bunch of people watching them, with great expectations.

I thought they were waiting for Ripcord to open. I decided that if they were going to open Ripcord, they just had to open Spillsville. I decided that Spillsville looked a lot better than Ripcord, and took the chance and headed back down Organgrinder. It was significantly worse than before. Somebody had tracked it up!

As I got to the crossover, there was a patroller setting up the thin cover sign. I headed toward him, saying that I’d had a feeling. He said something about it having been a good feeling. Then I could see him say to himself that there was no way he was letting this dork take his line, (What was that about powder day rules? :wink: ) and turned around had shot down the trail, ahead of me.

There were rocks, frozen snow, from when the trail had been previously open, and grass, beneath the snow. It was soooo much better than Organgrinder! Lower Ripcord was truly what you look for! It was as good as it had looked, from the lift.

Back up, I found that they had not dropped the rope on Ripcord, after all. It had been dropped on Paradise. I had to give it a try. (It’s in the rules!) I hit a rock! I can’t believe someone put a rock, there! (They're all rock skis! :wink:) Again, the snow was just great! Even tho I was significantly late, there were still patches of freshies around. And as the top part had never been open, this season, there was nothing beneath me but what nature had put there.

It said one more, and I obeyed. After that, my legs were screaming for rest, so I headed for Jester, for a light cruiser. At Allyn’s, I headed for the traverse and diverted to Murphy’s Glades. Like Spillsville, a lot of questionable stuff beneath, but a lot of sweet snow on top. A couple runs there, and I met a friend who told me he’d just gone down Domino, and it was great. We did that, next. My description was that was about as good as it gets, for that trail. There was a nasty waterbar at the bottom of Lower Domino, but when isn’t there, early in the season.

A few more trips down there, and I had to stop to get something to eat. After lunch, I basically switched off between Murphy’s Glades and Domino, until around 2:30. At that time, I had to notice my legs were no longer turning where they were supposed to. I reminded myself that I would like them to work, tomorrow, and gave it up with no regrets.

BushMogulMaster
12-03-2007, 11:14 PM
It said one more, and I obeyed.

A wise patroller (named Sandy Macys :D ) once told me that as soon as you decide to take one more, you should quit before you do. Most accidents happen when people try to take that one more run.

But nice report. I'm excited to be back at the Bush for a month. At least I know there'll be a solid base!

Lostone
12-04-2007, 07:16 AM
You misunderstood that one.

That was about my 5th run. It was "one more" down Paradise. I skied for hours after that.

But for the record,when I have to stop and rest, I do so, even when I know others are getting more freshies than I am. :wink: