PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Steep Run at Sugarbush

summitchallenger
12-03-2007, 02:56 PM
So what steep run is the best? Upper FIS is famed as the steepest. Exterminator is narrower. Liftline and Rumble are hairy. And Ripcord is just awesome. My favs are FIS, Exterminator, and Ripcord. If I had to pick one, I guess Exterminator would be it. Upper FIS is just intense, but it is a bit short and can be icy on the very top.

Discuss.

jwt
12-03-2007, 03:41 PM
Rumble has it all. . . . steep, turns, roots and rocks no matter how much snow in there, but it does hold the snow with all that shade. . .the way real trails were cut way back twisty, can't see around the bend,and this continues thru most of the Castle Rock chair, so consistently working most all the way down. . . . . and then there is Rumble Woods. . . . . . . . .

Lot to be said of Upper Exterm too though. Paradise far left top/middle, and of course woods.

skibum1321
12-03-2007, 03:45 PM
You forgot about Black Diamond. It's way better than most of the other trails on your list... I still don't put it at number 1 though - I'd put Rumble as #1 and then Liftline.

Lostone
12-03-2007, 04:08 PM
Favorite?

With what snow conditions? :wink:

That makes a world of difference. 8)

summitchallenger
12-03-2007, 04:11 PM
BLACK DIAMOND RUSH!!!! I knew I forgot one!!! What a great trail....

And snow conditions: I will say ideal, which is either spring conditions or powder...take your pick...

summitchallenger
12-03-2007, 04:12 PM
Tried to ad BD. Can't edit the poll.....sorry....unless Lostone or someone else wants to add it in as a mod.

Lostone
12-03-2007, 05:42 PM
I can only add Black Diamond if I remove something else. :?

There is a limit to your number of options, and you are at it. :wink:

summitchallenger
12-03-2007, 05:47 PM
I can only add Black Diamond if I remove something else. :?

There is a limit to your number of options, and you are at it. :wink:

I wanted to substitute BD for Spillsville...

kcyanks1
12-04-2007, 09:09 AM
Voted for Paradise. Love the variety with the trail and woods. Rumble is also great that way, I guess, but I've had more experience with the woods off Paradise than those of Rumble. I don't like Ripcord. I typically ski it once at most in a given trip. I don't think I've ever skied Black Diamond.

skibum1321
12-04-2007, 09:26 AM
Voted for Paradise. Love the variety with the trail and woods. Rumble is also great that way, I guess, but I've had more experience with the woods off Paradise than those of Rumble. I don't like Ripcord. I typically ski it once at most in a given trip. I don't think I've ever skied Black Diamond.
You should definitely give Black Diamond a shot. It's one of my favorite trails at North. Along with Hammerhead and Tumbler...

ski_resort_observer
12-04-2007, 10:54 AM
I also chose Paradise basically cause it's my fav trail and it's on the list. However, I really don't consider it a steep trail like FIS, Stein, Liftline or Black Diamond although it's place on the Bush's Elite Eight group is well deserved.

madhavok
12-04-2007, 02:40 PM
I think its only logical that the best steep trail would have to be the steepest. Correct me if I am wrong but I believe that would be Upper FIS.

Lostone
12-04-2007, 02:48 PM
FIS starts lower than Black diamond, and ends higher. And the snow is usually better, too. :wink:

freeheel_skier
12-04-2007, 02:49 PM
Can you make up trails? I.E. Upper FIS to Black Diamond? :wink:

WWF-VT
12-04-2007, 03:15 PM
How could you have possibly neglected Waterfall on your list ? :wink:

Lostone
12-04-2007, 03:24 PM
I think I'm going to vote for Middle Earth.

"But"... You say, "Aren't there many trails steeper than Middle Earth?"

And there are, but Middle Earth certainly qualifies as a steep run, and I think I like it more than most of the others, with the stated condition of spring or (And this is where I'm going!) powder.

mattlucas
12-04-2007, 03:30 PM
what beats liftline on a powder day? Steep and long, just getting slowed down over the super steeps by mega pow. Easy pick for me.

flakeydog
12-04-2007, 04:06 PM
Had to cast my vote for Black Diamond. Thanks to adding it to the list.

My reasons?

When I think of steep, Black Diamond comes to mind because it is steep in a somewhat pure form. It is straight, the pitch is fairly consistent, it not too wide and you can see it from top to bottom as you ski it. It leaves you with no option other than to go straight down it. No twists, no turns, no islands, trees or flat spots or alternate routes. Just pure straight down the fall line goodness. Love it.

While we are on the subject, I must mention the headwall on Bravo. I would not consider it for the list but running staight over the top of it is such a great rush. Many times the middle has the best snow as everyone else cuts around the sides.

Other thoughts, the "narrows" on Middle Earth, the top 1/3 of the Mall come to mind.

BushMogulMaster
12-04-2007, 04:57 PM
Had to cast my vote for Black Diamond. Thanks to adding it to the list.

My reasons?

When I think of steep, Black Diamond comes to mind because it is steep in a somewhat pure form. It is straight, the pitch is fairly consistent, it not too wide and you can see it from top to bottom as you ski it. It leaves you with no option other than to go straight down it. No twists, no turns, no islands, trees or flat spots or alternate routes. Just pure straight down the fall line goodness. Love it.

While we are on the subject, I must mention the headwall on Bravo. I would not consider it for the list but running staight over the top of it is such a great rush. Many times the middle has the best snow as everyone else cuts around the sides.

Other thoughts, the "narrows" on Middle Earth, the top 1/3 of the Mall come to mind.

Yes. Agreed.

As for Bravo, for all intents and purposes, it qualifies as a double diamond trail based on steepest 300' and average pitch, + that little headwall/cliff just past the Elbravinator crossover.

summitchallenger
12-04-2007, 07:56 PM
I must admit that Stein's was pretty damn good today....was worth every one of the three runs down it....

kcyanks1
12-05-2007, 10:11 AM
You should definitely give Black Diamond a shot. It's one of my favorite trails at North. Along with Hammerhead and Tumbler...

Yeah, it's been on my list, except I spent nearly all my time at South. I've only been to North once in recent years and that was early season before Black Diamond was open. Eventually I'll ski it.

freeheel_skier
12-05-2007, 01:04 PM

Yeah, it's been on my list, except I spent nearly all my time at South. I've only been to North once in recent years and that was early season before Black Diamond was open. Eventually I'll ski it.

Gotta get over to ME when conditions are primo.....Then you can hit all the good stuff :D

summitchallenger
12-05-2007, 01:22 PM
Wish I was there yesterday....Lower FIS must be sick right now.....

12-05-2007, 01:30 PM
Gotta go with Rumble. Although tough choice between it and Paradise.

skiladi
12-05-2007, 02:23 PM
Wish I was there yesterday....Lower FIS must be sick right now.....

Usually this early the water bars on the run out are pretty bad. Hope the cold stays with us so that won't be a problem. I really like it in there. ; }

And I voted Rumble. I guess because I got first tracks in there a few seasons back. Not sure why patrol "let" that happen but it was thigh high and one guy dropped in just after me and I didn't want to be passed with all that fresh ahead so I had to bust my butt to stay ahead. Thank goodness he wasn't Egan! But that was probably the only time I will ever do that trail t2b nonstop! Well , not the lower part , but to the intersect. We came out pretty much at the same time and we were all grins. The guy was just as happy as me and never stopped trying to catch up...lol

kcyanks1
12-05-2007, 03:55 PM

Gotta get over to ME when conditions are primo.....Then you can hit all the good stuff :D

Hopefully I'll be able to meet up with some locals this year.. Earliest I might make it up is Christmas weekend. Trying to find someone to convince to take the trip with me who doesn't have to be with family that weekend. If I make it I'll definitely post something here.

sugarboarder
12-05-2007, 04:03 PM
Black Diamond when the bumps are big. Just such a great fall line with no escape - plus the show for those on the chair who think a snowboarder can't ride bumps...and the woods to snowboarder's right are an added bonus. Short but sweet!!

MntMan4Bush
12-06-2007, 04:28 AM
I would definitely go with black Diamond bumped up. I wouldn't consider Rumble a steep trail. Don't get me wrong, it is considering the pitch, but when I think steep I think standing over a lip looking down a straight line. As Charles De Mar said in Better off Dead "If you ski the k-12 girls will go sterile just looking at you". All the twist and turns, while classic New England skiing and a great trail, give the illusion it's not a steep trail. At least to me anyways. perhaps I'm still holding a grudge against Rumble for breaking my edge last season. I also like Spillsville, while short it often has great bumps. Also due honorable mention is Bravonator. Bravo's top part, cutting over to Exterminator for a nice steep bump run.

skiladi
12-06-2007, 02:51 PM
I would definitely go with black Diamond bumped up. I wouldn't consider Rumble a steep trail. Don't get me wrong, it is considering the pitch, but when I think steep I think standing over a lip looking down a straight line. As Charles De Mar said in Better off Dead "If you ski the k-12 girls will go sterile just looking at you". All the twist and turns, while classic New England skiing and a great trail, give the illusion it's not a steep trail. At least to me anyways. perhaps I'm still holding a grudge against Rumble for breaking my edge last season. I also like Spillsville, while short it often has great bumps. Also due honorable mention is Bravonator. Bravo's top part, cutting over to Exterminator for a nice steep bump run.

Did you wake up from a nightmare of skiing Rumble...lol
The pollster's question was not which trail do you think is steep. That's pretty subjective. But at 27.9 degrees and as noted in Egan's vid , only 20 ' wide , I think it qualifies. Enjoy the show. ; }
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSfUgRL7BWo#

Lostone
12-06-2007, 03:16 PM
By the way, that youtube video is part of the new Sugarbush DVD available for free at the Guest Service desk.

It is a good video... even if I'm not on it. :)

OK... part of the reason it is good is that I'm not on it. :cry: . . . . . . :lol:

summitchallenger
12-06-2007, 04:12 PM
By the way, that youtube video is part of the new Sugarbush DVD available for free at the Guest Service desk.

It is a good video... even if I'm not on it. :)

OK... part of the reason it is good is that I'm not on it. :cry: . . . . . . :lol:

Um...I don't recall seeing any of that in the SB video...am I missing something?

Lostone
12-06-2007, 06:02 PM
Sorry... I didn't check the link and thought it was the Be Better Here video I'd seen posted earlier.

I blame skiladi for not posting the link I was thinking about, and posting the one she wanted to post! :roll: . . . . . :lol:

skiladi
12-06-2007, 06:43 PM
Sorry... I didn't check the link and thought it was the Be Better Here video I'd seen posted earlier.

I blame skiladi for not posting the link I was thinking about, and posting the one she wanted to post! :roll: . . . . . :lol:

I think you are aware of my computer illiteracy. You're lucky I was able to copy and paste a link. :?
I tried to just do the actual vid with the start arrow but alas , I am clueless. ; }

Powder Puff
12-06-2007, 07:17 PM
I vote for the Mall... it is long, leg burner with a beautiful pitch the whole way. :D

12-06-2007, 10:20 PM
I vote for the Mall... it is long, leg burner with a beautiful pitch the whole way. :D

Nice choice for skiing laps.
VH Chair is always available at your convenience with never any wait!

sugarboarder
12-06-2007, 10:57 PM
VH Chair is always available...

Not always...but The Mall was still one of the best runs after the storm last Monday!

12-06-2007, 11:48 PM

Not always...but The Mall was still one of the best runs after the storm last Monday!.

Yes, UR right, the chair isn't always waiting for us when we get to the lift on the wknd, but compared to a lift line at a well known bump run at a little ski area about, ummmm, 45 minutes South of us, VH chair is always relatively just "moments" wait to ski or ride a trail with much sweeter bumps and trees alongside decent/courteous skiers and riders in pleasurable numbers........
SGRBRDR, you must admit, it's still better here, although maybe on my part it could be snowblindness or vertigo setting in due to all the snow we've been getting..... 8)

kcyanks1
12-07-2007, 09:07 AM

Not always...but The Mall was still one of the best runs after the storm last Monday!.

Yes, UR right, the chair isn't always waiting for us when we get to the lift on the wknd, but compared to a lift line at a well known bump run at a little ski area about, ummmm, 45 minutes South of us, VH chair is always relatively just "moments" wait to ski or ride a trail with much sweeter bumps and trees alongside decent/courteous skiers and riders in pleasurable numbers........
SGRBRDR, you must admit, it's still better here, although maybe on my part it could be snowblindness or vertigo setting in due to all the snow we've been getting..... 8)

I think Sugarboarder's point was that the Valley House chair is not always running. When it is running there are no lines, but that is when it is running. And as much as I think Sugarbush is far better than Killington, are you exaggerating just a little with the "45 minute()" lines?

sugarboarder
12-07-2007, 09:25 AM

Yes, I was referring to the fact that VH chair does not run on weekdays and other "slow" days. And yes, SB is better than K-Mart...but almost ANYWHERE is!

Hawk
12-07-2007, 10:38 AM
So when the VH chair is running there is no line. When it's not running there is no line either. WOW I think i'm going to change my vote and ski there more with 007 and the lovely miss Powder Puff... :wink:

skibum1321
12-07-2007, 02:15 PM
The Mall is one of my favorite trails at the Bush, but I really don't think of it as a particularly steep run.

kcyanks1
12-07-2007, 02:26 PM
So when the VH chair is running there is no line. When it's not running there is no line either. WOW I think i'm going to change my vote and ski there more with 007 and the lovely miss Powder Puff... :wink:

Good point. The Valley House chair also has no line when it isn't running :-)

Hawk
12-07-2007, 02:30 PM
The Mall is one of my favorite trails at the Bush, but I really don't think of it as a particularly steep run.

Well if you really want to be picky, exterminator isn't that steep either. Also, Paradise only has that one good pitch at the top. How steep is steep??? :roll: No one realy defined "Steep". :wink:

skibum1321
12-07-2007, 04:04 PM
Yeah, I guess I really wouldn't consider most of the trails on that list all that steep. Exterminator is definitely not steep and now that you point it out - Paradise really isn't so steep either...

Lostone
12-07-2007, 04:31 PM
If you think they're not steep... walk up them. :?

You'd be surprised how steep they become as you walk uphill. :wink:

Abe Froman
12-07-2007, 09:52 PM

It hurts more to walk up. :? Why on earth would you want to do that? :lol:

sugarboarder
12-07-2007, 10:02 PM

It hurts more to walk up. :? Why on earth would you want to do that? :lol:

Because he was lost?? :wink: