PDA

View Full Version : Heads up MRG...

sugarboarder
11-29-2007, 02:12 PM
Heads up MRG...Burton is offering "$5000 for the best videography of a person or crew poaching the last four resorts in North America that don't allow snowboarding". :shock:

No joke. :cry:

Man, I could use some cash. 8)

11-29-2007, 03:34 PM
Heads up MRG...Burton is offering "$5000 for the best videography of a person or crew poaching the last four resorts in North America that don't allow snowboarding". :shock:

Too Easy.
Burton Omen Split Backcountry Snowboard........
If you hadn't thought of it yet you owe me a martini after you collect the 5k!

freeheel_skier
11-29-2007, 04:46 PM
I may just have to take up snowboarding! LOL

ski_resort_observer
11-29-2007, 05:48 PM

Too Easy.
Burton Omen Split Backcountry Snowboard........
If you hadn't thought of it yet you owe me a martini after you collect the 5k!

If you come down on two sticks that ain't snowboarding and kind of a woosy way of doing it. Same if you go up with two sticks and come down on them together. It's going up with a real snowboard that separates the men from the boys. It's getting on the lift with a snowboard, that's the challenge. I'm sure Burton has already thought of that, martini offer nonwithstanding. Instead of 5k you'll just end up with alot of dirty looks :wink:

sugarboarder
11-29-2007, 10:34 PM
If anyone thinks I'm going to post the method, time, place etc. here, well...no. :P

Deadline for entries is 3-8-2008 so the $$$ are a ways off. It's not just "A" video either, it's for the "best" video, so I likely won't be the only one out there. And it's $5K for EACH of the four resorts...so $20K is actually on the table.

SWEEEET!!

freeheel_skier
11-29-2007, 11:35 PM
If anyone thinks I'm going to post the method, time, place etc. here, well...no. :P

Deadline for entries is 3-8-2008 so the $$$ are a ways off. It's not just "A" video either, it's for the "best" video, so I likely won't be the only one out there. And it's $5K for EACH of the four resorts...so $20K is actually on the table.

SWEEEET!!

Go for it! Giddy Up! 8) Good luck :!:

MntMan4Bush
11-30-2007, 12:49 PM
Well I think taking the lift up is out. There's no way they'll let you on it, but you can totally poach a run by going along the Long Trail for a bit. It's a short hike from the road and you end up at one of the lifts. (Can't remember which one, its been a while). That's your in. Just don't look at me if you get clubbed like a baby seal at the base by some overfed long haired leaping gnome in a onesy. Good luck.

sugarboarder
11-30-2007, 12:56 PM
Spill the wine...poach that hill!

summitchallenger
11-30-2007, 01:22 PM
Well I think taking the lift up is out. There's no way they'll let you on it, but you can totally poach a run by going along the Long Trail for a bit. It's a short hike from the road and you end up at one of the lifts. (Can't remember which one, its been a while). That's your in. Just don't look at me if you get clubbed like a baby seal at the base by some overfed long haired leaping gnome in a onesy. Good luck.

Yeah...was gonna say, tell the whole world! :wink:

Seriously...I'm sure it has been done before.

noski
11-30-2007, 01:33 PM
Hey! I could show up at MRG at the predetermined time with skis in my hand. I think that would divert ALL attention from anyone with a snowboard.....

freeheel_skier
11-30-2007, 01:42 PM
Spill the wine...poach that hill!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

freeheel_skier
11-30-2007, 01:43 PM

Yeah...was gonna say, tell the whole world! :wink:

Seriously...I'm sure it has been done before.

It has :shock: .....when it wasn't open. :)

freeheel_skier
11-30-2007, 01:56 PM
Pretty entertaining.

http://www.burton.com/poachers/Default.aspx

sugarboarder
11-30-2007, 02:13 PM
Hey! I could show up at MRG at the predetermined time with skis in my hand. I think that would divert ALL attention from anyone with a snowboard.....

Let's talk...how about 10 percent? :?:

sugarboarder
11-30-2007, 02:31 PM
Pretty entertaining.

http://www.burton.com/poachers/Default.aspx

I know, good stuff huh? It's all in good fun.

ski_resort_observer
12-01-2007, 08:41 PM
Yup...all in good fun....

http://forums.skimrv.com/albums/album33/pied_piper.jpg

sugarboarder
12-01-2007, 09:00 PM

What's your point? That they are a business trying to make money and attract customers? Their own unique way? In a manner that maybe not everyone agrees with? With a dedicated following? How dare they! :shock:

Can you imagine if a ski area did this? :roll:

Lostone
12-01-2007, 09:27 PM
I wonder how you'd feel if someone paid a bunch of people to go into your house, uninvited, and film themselves having a party? :roll:

Say, if you didn't like smoking, and a tobacco company paid people to film themselves smoking in your place?

sugarboarder
12-01-2007, 09:45 PM
I wonder how you'd feel if someone paid a bunch of people to go into your house, uninvited, and film themselves having a party? :roll:

Say, if you didn't like smoking, and a tobacco company paid people to film themselves smoking in your place?

People don't WANT to come to my house to smoke. :roll: Not even close to the same thing. I will say this though - it's strange to me that a place will make a policy to keep a certain group of people out, and they are one of only a handful of places who do so, and then expect there won't be any animosity towards them, or that those excluded won't be upset. Last I checked we live in the US of A and snowboarders have just as much right to be upset and protest peacefully (you remember that, don't you Lostone? :wink: ) as MRG has to exclude them

Look, I'm not going to get into a big back and forth about this...AGAIN. I may or may not go after the $$...probably won't have the time or resources. You got complaints - take 'em to Burton.

Peace out.

ski_resort_observer
12-01-2007, 10:45 PM

What's your point? That they are a business trying to make money and attract customers? Their own unique way? In a manner that maybe not everyone agrees with? With a dedicated following? How dare they! :shock:

Can you imagine if a ski area did this? :roll:

To be honest I'm worried this might result in hostile confrontations at the 4 hills and people will get hurt. That's my point. BTW, just so you know, by their choice all my kids are riders and I have been a big supporter of the sport. According to the NSAA last season 28% of the lift tiks purchased were riders so it's a very important piece of the snowsport resort business overall.

summitchallenger
12-02-2007, 04:57 PM
According to the NSAA last season 28% of the lift tiks purchased were riders so it's a very important piece of the snowsport resort business overall.

Wow! Only 28%? That seems low...but FWIW I have noticed that in the past few years I see fewer and fewer snowboarders than before....but maybe that is because I ski at places which are still skier mountains (such as Burke, SB, Pico). I noticed, except the last two days, that a WIDE majority of the people at SB were skiers.

BushMogulMaster
12-02-2007, 06:01 PM
According to the NSAA last season 28% of the lift tiks purchased were riders so it's a very important piece of the snowsport resort business overall.

SRO, which NSAA report was that from?

ski_resort_observer
12-02-2007, 06:28 PM

It was stated in a post at snowjournal.com. I too thought that it was kinda low but I don't have any data to confirm or discount it. If you want I think I can find it and post a link to it. I did see some figures awhile back that showed it's basically split 50/50 regarding skier/rider days with a slight up tick in skiers the last couple of years

BushMogulMaster
12-02-2007, 06:57 PM

It was stated in a post at snowjournal.com. I too thought that it was kinda low but I don't have any data to confirm or discount it. If you want I think I can find it and post a link to it. I did see some figures awhile back that showed it's basically split 50/50 regarding skier/rider days with a slight up tick in skiers the last couple of years

As I posted on AZ, as of post-2006 season, actual number of participants are as follows: boarders: 5.2MM, skiers: 6.4MM.

Interesting.

polski
12-02-2007, 07:58 PM
Last year I met a kid on a lift at Bretton Woods I think, probably 15 or 16 yo, and he said he used to ride but switched to skiing because everyone was riding and it had gotten old hat.

Lostone
12-02-2007, 10:10 PM
I will say this though - it's strange to me that a place will make a policy to keep a certain group of people out, and they are one of only a handful of places who do so, and then expect there won't be any animosity towards them, or that those excluded won't be upset.

No people are being kept out. They are just not allowed to ride snowboards on someone else's property. When you protest on someone else's property, they generally have you arrested for trespassing.

sugarboarder
12-02-2007, 10:22 PM
I will say this though - it's strange to me that a place will make a policy to keep a certain group of people out, and they are one of only a handful of places who do so, and then expect there won't be any animosity towards them, or that those excluded won't be upset.

No people are being kept out. They are just not allowed to ride snowboards on someone else's property. When you protest on someone else's property, they generally have you arrested for trespassing.

Okay, you goaded me into one more comment...blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

PS - I believe it is "our" property mi amigo, as in National Forest Land...but if I'm wrong I'm sure the lynch mob will hang me for it here...goodnight all.

summitchallenger
12-02-2007, 10:28 PM

Okay, you goaded me into one more comment...blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

PS - I believe it is "our" property mi amigo, as in National Forest Land...but if I'm wrong I'm sure the lynch mob will hang me for it here...goodnight all.

IIRC MRG sits on private land...except for maybe the very top....which is the LT and owned by the GMC.

BushMogulMaster
12-02-2007, 10:57 PM
Um, yeah. MRG is on private land. I won't lynch you, though. It's okay.

Private land starts from about the northern third of Slide Brook Basin. Sugarbush owns from there to beside the peak the old lift line was cut to (aside from the very peak of Mt. Ellen). There may be a separate owner of the land between there and MRG, but if there is, it's private. And then MRG is on private land as well.

Yard Sale
12-03-2007, 06:42 AM
If you want to poach/trespass/protest what ever you want to call it for the $$$ go right ahead. But this business about truth, justice and the American way all in the name of a corporate sponsored panty raid, oh brother please. When Rosa Parks is riding the single defiantly holding her snow board let me know.

KingM
12-03-2007, 06:22 PM
I'm a skier and think MRG has the right to make whatever policy they want. If they wanted to say that one-legged skiers born in the MRV have the right to ski, I may not think it was a wise decision, but again, that's their right.

Having said that, the Burton video is kind of funny.

sugarboarder
12-07-2007, 08:28 PM
Coverage in the Free Press today...

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200771207011

sugarboarder
12-15-2007, 12:02 PM
ONE DOWN - three to go...Wooo Hoooo!!!

http://www.skitaos.org/

http://www.ridetaos.org/

http://www.ridetaos.org/index.php?blog=5#comments

http://www.ridetaos.org/index.php?blog=9#comments

:D :shock: 8) :lol: :? :o :) :P :wink: :!:

sugarboarder
12-20-2007, 10:28 PM
The beat goes on...

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071220/COLUMNISTS05/712200301/1007

...and I thought it was cow-tipping...hmph. :shock:

sugarboarder
12-22-2007, 12:30 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Very nice!!!

http://www.valleyreporter.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1116&Itemid=38

8)