PDA

View Full Version : Saturday Nov. 24th TR

summitchallenger
11-24-2007, 06:58 PM
Date(s) Skied: November 24, 2007

Resort or Ski Area: Sugarbush

Conditions: P/MG/FG, Natural Bumps

2007-2008 Report #: 3

Trip Report: Day 3. I had planned on going up on Thursday, but things were a bit too soggy…I DID get the XC skis out that day in between rain showers, but I was ready to get back to the mountain.

Got a late start from the NEK and arrived at about 9:45. Had some problems because they thought my season pass was ready and then it was not, so I got another day ticket today.

I was greeted by an ambassador who proclaimed, “they just dropped the ropes Spillsville and Ripcord. It’s got to be sick!” That meant one thing: ditch the long boards and jump on the 110 cm’s for some pow bumps.

Booted up and headed up Bravo. Guns were blasting on Lower Jester and Birdland. Word has it that they will open tomorrow. Looking good…and I am ready to ski something besides Deathspout.

I made the call to head directly to Spillsville. Wow. Soft snow, great cover overall, well for the first few runs, and I was popping some amazing turns. I was on my game. Lower Ripcord had some nasty crusty snow in places, but it was tracking out pretty well. There was some thin cover mind you…you just needed to be quick on the skis and know where to ski :wink:

Rinse, later repeat. This time I threw in Lower Paradise. Wow. Great. Folks were hooting and hollering. Good scene. Meanwhile it was a bowling alley on Downspout…

I was pretty shot from these runs, so the ride up Heaven’s Gate was great and relaxing. I had to do another run down Spillsvile…this time it was getting pretty skied out and bare. Overall, cover was pretty good if you knew where to look. I hugged the extreme sides while others watched in envy. Hey, when you get picked on riding the lift with these 110 cm’s on your feet, you have to show folks that you have got good moves. :wink: More than one person commented on the skis…and how much fun they must be. Oh yeah…they were. The right ski for the job. No rocks or anything…was able to dance around that stuff.

Now I want some Castlerock action after these runs…

Well, I did three or four runs total…lapping Spillsville and Lower Paradise before taking a long run to the bottom making some nice GS turns on the soft snow. Coffee Run was slick, but otherwise the run was nice. Nothing I would want to lap.

Took a lunch break at Allyn’s and chatted with some guys from Burlington. Brothers who were up for the day…the younger one was having trouble with his feet and the eldest was home from Bucknell and loving break.

Then I did three more runs. First one involved my new tradition of hiking to the summit for that great view and private corduroy session off the top. Both were nice. Jester was getting crowded and icy in the turns. I dove onto Organgrinder via Spillsville Cutoff at one point. The bumps were OK, but icy troughs for sure…ouch.

Wrapped up with a spin down Jester to Allyn’s, where I grabbed my bag, and headed down to the base. It was getting busy and icy. I headed out at 2:30 or so after chatting with Lostone…

Great day. Early turns tomorrow is the plan…