PDA

View Full Version : Mt. Ellen love thread

BushMogulMaster
11-20-2007, 12:02 AM
Well, at summitchallenger's suggestion, here it is... the Mt. Ellen love thread.

Post what you love about Mt. Ellen. No political discussion (which should open first, which should close last, etc.) is necessary. Just share the love for Vermont's greatest mountain! (well, in MY opinion, anyway :wink: )

BushMogulMaster
11-20-2007, 12:11 AM
Here are two reasons I love Mt. Ellen:

http://www.mogulskiing.net/images/mtellen.jpg

http://www.mogulskiing.net/images/blackdiamond.jpg

Among many others, of course. :D

ski_resort_observer
11-20-2007, 12:48 AM
The view from the top
the back deck of GML for apres ski
lack of crowds
the slow Inverness lift which everyone hates which means semi-tough and brambles usually have no other skiers on it.
the fact that it opens later so the conditions will be fantastic when the lifts start spinning :wink:

WWF-VT
11-20-2007, 08:27 AM
The fireplace in the base lodge...

MntMan4Bush
11-20-2007, 09:15 AM
One word.......Bravinator (Bravo to Exterminator bump lines topping it off with Cliffs, Tumbler or Encore. Lather. Rinse. Repeat. Nothing gets the saliva running like that except maybe Jessica Alba handing out hostess cupcakes and Longtrail in a leopard print fur lined bikini.

Second reason..... The deck in the spring. Sitting out on the deck on a quiet day withe the sun beating down, Longtrail in hand and people enjoying the slopes. The lodge has such and old rustic charm to it that it brings you back to better days. I can really just loose myself on that deck.

summitchallenger
11-20-2007, 09:31 AM
Too many things to list...

That feeling you get when you stand at the top of FIS and peer down....
Skiing FIS on a pow day
FIS to Lower FIS...and having the lower part all to yourself!
The view from the top
Black Diamond on a spring corn day
Exterminator
Riding up the Summit Quad as you go into the final steep climb
Ripping arcs down Elbow
When you pull onto Route 17 and look up....
Having Brambles all to yourself on a week day.
Flying down Rim Run on a cold day and having Glen House to warm up in....
Watching a pro hit the cliffs on Encore at the top...

Oh yeah...and RIP Zip and Spread Eagle...as discussed some years back on RSN the best trails at Ellen which are no more :wink: :lol:

Hardbooter
11-20-2007, 11:10 AM
How about spending all day in the woods (nobody mentioned all the upper mountain woods) and then having a beer while you watch people fall on their heads in the half pipe. Nothing quite like listening to a live band where the songs are punctuated by half of the people in the bar gasping and yelling "oooh" in unison after someone does a face-plant in the half pipe.

Maybe once the Valley House is gone we can try and replicate that at South.

AngryJohnny
11-20-2007, 11:13 AM
MtnMan
Operative word(s)...ability to find a seat and get a beer within 20min! Not too mention Billy Caldwell on the guitar..."old school feel."
Exterminator-Tumbler-lather, rinse and repeat, you got it!

shadyjay
11-20-2007, 08:00 PM
ah.... Mt Ellen..........

Showin' some love.................
The views from the top
The GMX - restored to its rightful length (though I don't like the get-off)
The Northridge - 1000X better than the 15-min double it replaced, and nary a line (usually)
Summit Quad - slow but permits the perfect "get back up the hill" lift
Inverness Pod - the quietest area on the Mountain - Walt's, Semi, and Brambles!!!
Panorama / Rim Run - "did we mention the views"? Great cruising
Glen House - perfect mid-mountain lodge. Cold beer with a view.
The park and pipe - in their own area, with their own lift, the Sunny D, great for viewing.

And the #1 reason......... hardly ever crowded.
I've seen the plot jammed, but noone on the mountain. Everyone must've gone to L/P since their parking must've been full. Dec 30 last year - everything open, and noone there. Yes, Dec 30, during Holiday Week.

Any Cons?
Well, just a couple....
- the walk from the parking lot uphill to the lift. At least at L/P, its level.
- windholds - though we got VERY lucky last season (on multiple angles)
- the fact that its not the late season mountain anymore. Late-season upper mtn with a band and a beer on the Glen House deck can't be beat!

See you soon, ole' gal. You've got many friends. Keep it up with what you've been doing since your creation....

Jay

freeheel_skier
11-20-2007, 10:27 PM
Jim & Billy @ Green Mountain Lodge
groomers mowing exterminator bumps.......then tucking it the whole way! :shock:
Jim & Billy
zipper lines on bravo to encore
spring bumps on looking good
bravinator
zipper lines on cliffs
woods
ripping down scotch mist(like the old skool names) aka black diamond
double fall lines on tumbler & hammerhead
Jim & Billy
Hiking & skiing FIS when ME is closed for the season

summitchallenger
11-21-2007, 07:40 AM
Some good stuff here....

mattlucas
11-24-2007, 06:39 PM
"Just one more run down FIS" - over and over times infinity till you can't stand.

BushMogulMaster
11-24-2007, 07:22 PM
Some great responses thus far.

Here are a few things to add to the list:

>Bumps... FIS, Black Diamond, Bravo, Exterm, Lower FIS, Tumbler, Cliffs, Hammy, Encore, Semi-Tough, etc. Best bumps in New England
>True 2600' vertical (unlike claims at places like Killington, which is really only 1600 skiable continuous vert, btw)
>Views from the Summit
>Lower FIS, bumps or not. Love the serenity and the character
>Hammerhead -- classic New England character
>Good 'ol base lodge -- that one's a keeper. Love the old-school vibe, and the fireplace! Oh, and the great views from the deck!
>Live music in the Green Mountain Lounge
>First chair on GMX and then on NRX on a powder day
>Glen House, especially on a bluebird day out on the deck and on freezing cold days to take a mid-mountain coffee break
>The plethora of marked and unmarked woods
>Little gems like the old T-Bar line beside snowflake
>Watching a line of Ratnik Snowgiant V's (and some Sugarbush custom-welded II+II+II triple barrels) blasting on Riemergasse
>A casual traverse across Northway
>Inverness area on a powder day
>The lack of crowding, even when it's really busy (thanks to the fantastic lift distribution)
>The staff (Mopey, John, Rick, Nate, Gary, Larry, just to name a few of the fine folks making things happen at ME)
>The aesthetic beauty of the mountain layout (except the atrocity that is Inverness trail)
>Spring patrol BBQ's at Summit and Mid-Station
>The future potential

I could go on, but I think I'll cap it there for now :wink:

summitchallenger
11-25-2007, 07:33 PM
So much love!!!

sugarboarder
11-26-2007, 07:52 PM
How about spending all day in the woods (nobody mentioned all the upper mountain woods) and then having a beer while you watch people fall on their heads in the half pipe. Nothing quite like listening to a live band where the songs are punctuated by half of the people in the bar gasping and yelling "oooh" in unison after someone does a face-plant in the half pipe.

Maybe once the Valley House is gone we can try and replicate that at South.

That's over - the "pipe" (such as it is) is on Sunny D now...no more "eye sore" :wink:

My fav ME things? - Black Diamond bumps, racing on Inverness and Exterm woods. 8)

HowieT2
11-26-2007, 09:53 PM
I love the woods at ME but all this talk is making me antsy. Think snow.

summitchallenger
12-02-2007, 08:32 PM
Did anyone here ever ski the old Glen Ellen? I mean looking at pics from the 1960's, including this one, it must have been something to ski.

http://forums.alpinezone.com/gallery/data/760/scan00142.jpg

BushMogulMaster
12-02-2007, 10:51 PM
Did anyone here ever ski the old Glen Ellen? I mean looking at pics from the 1960's, including this one, it must have been something to ski.

You mean before the mountain was raped and pillaged, and every trail was widened? Nope... unfortunately, I wasn't born. But if I could take it back to what it was, I would. Just look at this:

http://www.sugarbushhistory.com/oldellen.jpg

http://www.sugarbushhistory.com/oldellen1.jpg

Look at Elbow, Exterminator, FIS, Rim Run, even Cruiser and Which Way were skinny new england runs. But no... we've gotta widen everything to increase capacity. I wish it was still just like that, except with North Ridge.

thinksnow
12-02-2007, 11:09 PM
all this talk is making me antsy. Think snow.

How about the first trails open for the season at the Bush? Oh wait, what year is this?

summitchallenger
12-02-2007, 11:12 PM
Are those glades I see on Inverness slope???

sugarboarder
12-03-2007, 09:31 AM
You mean before the mountain was raped and pillaged, and every trail was widened? Nope... unfortunately, I wasn't born. But if I could take it back to what it was, I would. Just look at this:

Look at Elbow, Exterminator, FIS, Rim Run, even Cruiser and Which Way were skinny new england runs. But no... we've gotta widen everything to increase capacity. I wish it was still just like that, except with North Ridge.

First time I skied here was with my dad in 1972 - he was complaining about trail widening even back then! What is the trail (?) leading from the ridge above Inverness down to the top of Brambles? Connector from LT / MRG? Anyone?

HowieT2
12-03-2007, 09:43 AM

First time I skied here was with my dad in 1972 - he was complaining about trail widening even back then! What is the trail (?) leading from the ridge above Inverness down to the top of Brambles? Connector from LT / MRG? Anyone?

Yeah, what is that and how did one access it?

BushMogulMaster
12-03-2007, 09:44 AM

It's a liftline that was cut for an expansion that was cut short. More on that later. Gotta go to Winter Park right now. :D

summitchallenger
12-03-2007, 09:49 AM
Yes, as said, it was a liftline that was cut to expand the area to that peak above Inverness. You can still vaguely make it out...especially after a snowfall...it is grown in quite a bit. In fact, as you go onto Brambles, it is the clearing on the left. The story is that Glen Ellen began cutting and soon realized, after the clearing was done, that they did not own the land near the summit. Major oops.

HowieT2
12-03-2007, 10:15 AM
Yes, as said, it was a liftline that was cut to expand the area to that peak above Inverness. You can still vaguely make it out...especially after a snowfall...it is grown in quite a bit. In fact, as you go onto Brambles, it is the clearing on the left. The story is that Glen Ellen began cutting and soon realized, after the clearing was done, that they did not own the land near the summit. Major oops.

So I presume then, that would not be the liftline for any future expansion above Inverness?

sugarboarder
12-03-2007, 10:26 AM

So I presume then, that would not be the liftline for any future expansion above Inverness?

Howie - lots of info on that here:

http://forums.skimrv.com/viewtopic.php?t=613&highlight=expansion

HowieT2
12-03-2007, 10:59 AM

Howie - lots of info on that here:

http://forums.skimrv.com/viewtopic.php?t=613&highlight=expansion

I recall that discussion, but I was under the impression at that time that the old lift line would be the route for any future expansion. Is the ownership of the land near the summit no longer an issue/obstacle???

BushMogulMaster
12-03-2007, 06:58 PM

Actually, ownership isn't the issue. I don't think it was then, although it's a possibility that subsequent owners have since purchased it. What I do know for a fact is that Summit Ventures currently owns to that peak, and a little past it in fact.

flakeydog
12-04-2007, 05:25 PM
What I was always told was that cut (and subsequent re-growth) for Glen Ellen expansion was a direct result of a "cut first, worry about permits later" approach. Really bad idea... Lesson learned I guess. Many gripe about the permit process but the smart ones never bite the hand that feeds them!

summitchallenger
12-15-2007, 08:22 PM
6 DAYS UNTIL ELLEN LOVING BEGINS!!!!!!

BushMogulMaster
12-15-2007, 08:31 PM

I'll be there for first chair!

summitchallenger
12-15-2007, 08:44 PM

I'll be there for first chair!

Hit it for me. :cry:

I've got not one, but two job interviews that day. :D :D

sugarboarder
12-15-2007, 09:07 PM

Ellen is breaking up with her boyfriend? Sweeeeeet! :D

What? Different Ellen? Oh. :cry: Sorry...carry on.

summitchallenger
12-18-2007, 12:54 PM
3 DAYS AND COUNTING!!!!!!!

But I will confess I have really enjoyed LP and its terrain and new Lodge. Crowds have not been too bad....

shadyjay
12-18-2007, 08:28 PM
LP when Downspout is the only route open: BAD
LP when its 100% (or close to 100%) open: EXCELLENT

So far, the LP late/early strategy seems to be a good choice. Can the luck hold out?

Was there Fri & Sat and on Sat I said my goodbye to Shawn the bartendar at C'Rock Pub - and I'll be over at Mt Ellen starting Sat. SWEET!
May even try the Green Mountain Lounge as my new Apres Board spot - never been there. Last year, it was ride and then go. Only at LP do I seem to have the desire to partake in a bev or two post-riding. See how things go at Ellen.

And don't worry, LP - I've got 5 passes to use (apparently I have to use them and can't give them to my friends even if I'm at the window as well). And there's always V-Day and 1/2 off days. And of course, post-4/1.

Time once again though to enjoy the likes of Rim Run, Elbow, Lookin Good, Inverness Pod, and more. And maybe tackle some diamonds there for a first.

win
12-18-2007, 08:38 PM
My favorite is Tumbler in fresh powder and Exterminator and Black Diamond are not far behind when the snow is soft and deep. But cruising elbow is always special and I have a fondness for Looking Good too on the right day. And then there is Cliffs and Hammerhead and the woods and ......................

BushMogulMaster, if you want the first chair, I will see you before 9am this Friday, December 21st, and I would expect that we will be 100% open.

It should be a great day. The only fly in the ointment is that Dopplemayr has to reprogram some software in Northridge and Slidbrook. They are stretched thin and probably can't get this done before early next week, so we will not be able to run Northridge or Slidebrook lifts this week. I am really disappointed about this! Unfortunately, we have to depend on them for this. That will cut down on the vertical that we can do, but it will still be a great few days of skiing and riding there.

boze
12-18-2007, 08:51 PM
Too bad about the NRX & SB chairs, if that's how it shakes out.

At least the only real impact will be felt in the lines and possibly the mountain skiing a bit 'narrower' than normal. But then again with potential to be 100% open on Opening Day is, well, pretty terrific.

Trying to gwt up there for the grand opening with my son. May need some help negotiating with my wife for him to play hookey again (we 'super-sized' this past weekend, staying to Monday). :D

BushMogulMaster
12-18-2007, 08:54 PM
My favorite is Tumbler in fresh powder and Exterminator and Black Diamond are not far behind when the snow is soft and deep. But cruising elbow is always special and I have a fondness for Looking Good too on the right day. And then there is Cliffs and Hammerhead and the woods and ......................

BushMogulMaster, if you want the first chair, I will see you before 9am this Friday, December 21st, and I would expect that we will be 100% open.

It should be a great day. The only fly in the ointment is that Dopplemayr has to reprogram some software in Northridge and Slidbrook. They are stretched thin and probably can't get this done before early next week, so we will not be able to run Northridge or Slidebrook lifts this week. I am really disappointed about this! Unfortunately, we have to depend on them for this. That will cut down on the vertical that we can do, but it will still be a great few days of skiing and riding there.

Good trail choices!

Sounds good... Dad and I will meet you for first chair on Friday!

Interesting that Doppelmayr is working on NRX... I know they relocated it, but isn't it a first-generation Poma Omega detachable?

ski_resort_observer
12-18-2007, 11:15 PM

Good trail choices!

Interesting that Doppelmayr is working on NRX... I know they relocated it, but isn't it a first-generation Poma Omega detachable?

It's a Poma/Doppelmayr hs quad installed in 1995. It was originally the Green Mountain Express that was built in 1990 by Poma. In 1995 it was moved, modified, and renamed the North Ridge Express after Poma became Poma/Doppelmayr.

Go Figure
12-19-2007, 07:47 AM
Nice job of being prepared :x .First was castlerock delay due to inspection issues,now sbx/northridge.Who is in charge of these important tasks :?:

Lostone
12-19-2007, 08:12 AM
The only fly in the ointment is that Dopplemayr has to reprogram some software in Northridge and Slidbrook. They are stretched thin and probably can't get this done before early next week

If you have ever worked with a vendor or contractor, you'd know that despite whatever deadlines you might like to set, you are at their mercy.

It isn't like they can go to the other lift company. :roll:

Hawk
12-19-2007, 08:27 AM
Nice job of being prepared :x .First was castlerock delay due to inspection issues,now sbx/northridge.Who is in charge of these important tasks :?:

Yup, that's the solution. Let's point the finger at somebody and throw them under the bus. :roll: There is little you can do when your OEM vendor or the State decides to stand you up. I can personally understand this situation because I am faced with it all the time being a construction manager.

As for me, I will be somewhere off Lincoln Peak exploring..... :wink:

BushMogulMaster
12-19-2007, 09:30 AM

Good trail choices!

It's a Poma/Doppelmayr hs quad installed in 1995. It was originally the Green Mountain Express that was built in 1990 by Poma. In 1995 it was moved, modified, and renamed the North Ridge Express after Poma became Poma/Doppelmayr.

Hmm, I don't believe Poma and Doppelmayr ever came together under one umbrella. We've had Poma, and then Leitner Poma. There was Doppelmayr, and then Doppelmayr Garaventa, and then Doppelmayr CTEC, and now Doppelmayr Garaventa again. But not Poma/Doppelmayr to my knowledge. They've always been fierce competitors.

BushMogulMaster
12-19-2007, 09:35 AM

Do you have even the slightest clue what it takes to prepare a lift for the season? There are a VERY limited number of state inspectors, and this time of the year, they are running around from resort to resort without time to take a piss. As Hawk pointed out, SB has zero control over the OEM, who is strung extremely thin in this part of the world right now, especially since most of Doppelmayr's guys are working on the new bi-cable 25 person gondola at Revelstoke.

I think a little more respect is due, please. They are doing everything in their power to have things up and running.

ski_resort_observer
12-19-2007, 09:52 AM

Hmm, I don't believe Poma and Doppelmayr ever came together under one umbrella. We've had Poma, and then Leitner Poma. There was Doppelmayr, and then Doppelmayr Garaventa, and then Doppelmayr CTEC, and now Doppelmayr Garaventa again. But not Poma/Doppelmayr to my knowledge. They've always been fierce competitors.

Sorry BMM, I mistyped going by memory, it was 3AM and I had been editing slides for three hours. The installation of the NRX in 1995 was done by Doppelmayr according the chairlifts.org.
"NORTH RIDGE EXPRESS (POMA) - This lift was the original Green Mountain Express Quad erected in 1991 and
relocated to its present location in 1995 by Doppelmayr, then refurbished by Poma again in 2002"

BushMogulMaster
12-19-2007, 09:56 AM
Gotcha... thanks for the clarification. You had me sitting here scratching my head! :wink:

shadyjay
12-19-2007, 05:41 PM
While the loss of the SBE/NRX for opening Ellen weekend is unfortunate, it does not prohibit our access to any open terrain. Sure, it may make lines a little longer and require a "all the way to the base" run instead of 3/4 way down, but its a minor inconvenience. And for the SBE, most of the folk go to Lincoln Peak anyway. Its only inconvenient if folks park at Ellen to avoid the parking crunch at LP and then find out they can't get there by lift, and have to take the bus.

Let us not forget also that Bush management worked their tails off to get the Castlerock chair ready for opening a couple of weeks ago... I'm sure NOONE was expecting that chair to spin as early as it did, and I'm sure that the Bush called in the inspectors days before, after the copious amounts of snow fell, and low and behold, the lift was ready. And while I have yet to try a ride on that lift, I can appreciate what the Bush has done to get it open. And in the past, their quick thinking has gotten lifts open after being "down and out". Was it a couple years ago when it required a night session in order to get the Super Bravo repaired from behing hit by 80 mph winds?

Personally, I would want them to take their time and get the lifts running correctly before I hop on, espec a lift like the SBX and have no problem waiting in longer lines or being ever so slightly inconvenienced. The lifts are in good hands and there is no reason to bash management or the lift companies/inspectors. As others have pointed out, there is a lot of work to do and not a ton of people to do it. It will get done, however, and there'll be plenty of skiing/riding to go around.

CapeSkiGuy
12-20-2007, 09:36 AM

Sorry, pal. You won't get any agreement from me. Our folks are the best, period. If there is a delay, it is for a dang good reason, and one that was largely unavoidable. I don't think any terrain will be inaccessible due to this. Surely nobody expects these lifts to spin without proper inspection, certification, and maintenance? I can only imagine the complaining after being stranded on a busted lift and getting evac'd off the Slidebrook, then humping out to the road. I'll wait until the OEM folks give it the ok, thanks.

win
12-20-2007, 02:38 PM
I'll keep you posted. We are entirely in the hands of the vendors at this point. If Slidebrook doesn't run for a few days, we will have extra buses running more frequently between the two base areas starting Saturday and through the Holidays. They make for a better evacuation. See, there is always a silver lining!

shadyjay
12-20-2007, 05:37 PM
another plus.... the buses never are on a wind delay :)

See you in the AM, Ellen!