PDA

View Full Version : The MRV restaurant reviews

Lostone
11-19-2007, 07:24 PM
We had one for last season, and one for further back.

Lately we've had some closings and some changing of hands/operation of the different area eateries.

Love to hear any reports of food / service at any of them.

Was it good? Why?

Was it bad? Why?

Please no flaming, but any honest opinions of places you've tried are welcome.

Name of the place?

Date visited?

Conditions? Was it crowded? Was it a zoo weekend? Was it you and the owners?

What did you have?

What did you think? The food, the service, the ambiance, the experience, in total?

06-09 Edit: Was 07/08 review. I just took out the date to enable it to be ongoing, and made it a sticky, to make it easier to find.

noski
11-21-2007, 10:24 AM
Name of the place? Spotted Cow, Bridge St Marketplace

Date visited? Friday dinner, 11/16

Conditions? It was all locals, moderately busy- but not a zoo

What did you have? Our table of 4 had Shrimp Scampi over angelhair pasta; Pork tenderloin medallions, sundried tomatoes, garlic sauce over fettucine; Mixed seafood (shrimp/mussels/clam- if I remember right) over fettucine. We were served nice warm bread with garlic/olive oil for dipping. Apps included escargot stuffed mushroom caps and deep fried calemari with spicy marinara dipping sauce. Nice garden salads. We were wayyy too full for desert.

What did you think? We thoroughly enjoyed our meal selections, though we thought the portions were too big. How's that for different? Prices for entrees were in the teens ,with most expensive $21 (mixed seafood). Nice linen napkins, perfect lighting- not bright, but dimmed enough that we could still easily read the menu. Chef/Owner made rounds to inquire about our dinner- it was the first night they were open for dinner.

fdskier
11-21-2007, 12:23 PM
regarding the closings and changes...

can any changes since last winter be posted as well?
just so some of us can be brought up to speed.
haven't been up to the valley since last april.

i heard that the den has closed.
any other changes?
thanks!

12-01-2007, 03:57 PM
Common Man Rest:

Keith and staff are very very very professional and attentive (did I mention they're attentive?) and the food is always 4 star.
The beet salad is dee-lish.
Always fresh fish dishes as well.

Bar top was upgraded this season 07-08 to allow for comfortable casual dining.

Been there as a single, as well as one of a couple, and member of a four top and group of 16, with equally good experience no matter what size party.
Definitely make reservations and ask for the table by the fireplace....

Bottles of Dom line the shelf made by a structural barn timber around the perimeter, and you can purchase, drink, and leave your empty there to commemorate an occasion.

Eaten there many many times on both weekends and midweek, during slow and "zoo" times, and it always was a good experience.

Prices are typical of "suburban" Boston or NY.

12-01-2007, 03:59 PM
To the owner of Matterhorn at Stowe:

We need you in the Mad River Valley or on the access road to Sugarbush!

Please reply soon.

http://matterhornbar.com/index.asp

KingM
12-03-2007, 07:14 PM
I miss the Den for an inexpensive burger and the great sweet potato fries.

My favorite places are The Common Man, Sweetwood Grill & Bar, and Chez Henri. I've also eaten at Timbers with good results and love the big, open space and the fantastic views of the mountain if you're there at the right time of the day.

ski_resort_observer
12-06-2007, 11:48 PM
New sandwich/deli place coming to Sugarbush Village...just got their liquor license approved by the Warren BOS. Mandy something. :lol:

Bubba
12-07-2007, 06:22 AM
New sandwich/deli place coming to Sugarbush Village...just got their liquor license approved by the Warren BOS. Mandy something. :lol:

Haven't been there but I've heard good things. Clamdigger says the sandwiches are big enough to eat half for lunch and the other half for dinner.

outofshape
12-10-2007, 09:47 PM
Name of the place? Purple Moon

Date visited? Last weekend

Conditions? Good. Was it crowded? 75% full

What did you have? Omlet

What did you think? It was darn good, but not $11 good w/o tip. Also, they need to back off the paprika and salt on the homefries a tad. Other than that, the bread was not typical foodservice crap.

freeheel_skier
12-10-2007, 10:24 PM

Haven't been there but I've heard good things. Clamdigger says the sandwiches are big enough to eat half for lunch and the other half for dinner.

Name of the place?

Mutta Stuffers? Something like that.....it is across from the SB Day School @ the SB Village.

Date visited?

Saturday

Conditions?

Couple of other customers. Mellow

What did you have?

The guido....a colllossal Italian

What did you think?

Overall good. Service is slow. But the food was good. It is new so be patient.

It is across from the SB day school? The price is 10 bucks. Think of it as 2 sandwiches. They also have a "snack for the ride" (cheese and pepperoni and some other italian meats cut up to go.) pretty cool idea.

I hope the place makes it. Very tough for a new restraunt business to survive in this valley. Good LUCK! :wink:

starkmtn
12-12-2007, 05:29 PM
I would love to know if anyone has gone here and if so, how did you like it?

Thanks!

Lostone
12-12-2007, 06:21 PM
Great timing!

I had lunch at Timbers, yesterday.

Name of the place? Timbers

Date visited? 12/11

Conditions? The place was empty, and didn't deserve to be so.

What did you have? The day before, I rode up the lift with someone who said they were a cook, there; an intern from the Vermont Culinary Institute. I told him I was going there for lunch in the near future. He suggested the Better than a Burger.

On his suggestion, I did so.

What did you think? I thought it was way better than a burger!

It was pieces of very well marinated beef on a bed of garlic mashed potatoes, spinach and dried tomatoes, with a piece of garlic bread. It was great. Service was good, and if you haven't been inside Timbers, you should check it out.

At $13, it seems a little expensive for a lunch, but if you have a burger and fries in the lodge, you are paying $11.75, so it isn't that bad. And instead of sitting in the cafeteria, you are in a very lovely setting.

12-12-2007, 08:42 PM
Great timing!

I had lunch at Timbers, yesterday.

Name of the place? Timbers

Date visited? 12/11

Conditions? The place was empty, and didn't deserve to be so.

What did you have? The day before, I rode up the lift with someone who said they were a cook, there; an intern from the Vermont Culinary Institute. I told him I was going there for lunch in the near future. He suggested the Better than a Burger.

On his suggestion, I did so.

What did you think? I thought it was way better than a burger!

It was pieces of very well marinated beef on a bed of garlic mashed potatoes, spinach and dried tomatoes, with a piece of garlic bread. It was great. Service was good, and if you haven't been inside Timbers, you should check it out.

At $13, it seems a little expensive for a lunch, but if you have a burger and fries in the lodge, you are paying $11.75, so it isn't that bad. And instead of sitting in the cafeteria, you are in a very lovely setting.

Ditto for Timbers.
Similar experience last weekend.
Service was exceptional.

outofshape
12-18-2007, 09:47 PM
turns out it is somone from stinkin island.

had the proscuitto/mozzarella stuffed peppers, wow very good.

the fact there is someone cutting decent proscuitto.. yee hah!

castlerock
01-07-2008, 01:02 PM
Name of the place?
The Big Picture

Date visited?
12/21 and 1/4

12/21 the place was full, we had a party of 5, on 1/4 there was always a table open, and we had 3 families (6 adults and 9 kids)

What did you have?
A lot of everything, from Croque Monsieur to portobello reuben to sushi. All of it excellent

What did you think? The food, the service, the ambiance, the experience, in total?
The place is a breath of fresh air in the deteriorating food environment of the valley. Truly eclectic menu, of fun different food (along with burgers). It isn't fast food (meaning the service isn't rushed, but it isn't slow.) Kid firendly. We've gone twice in two weeks and we rarely go out.

My taste's are more towards Local Folk than a more pretentious place, because in most cases, the food at my house is better than going out. I can't stand paying big money for food I can do better myself. I like food that is honest, and has "integrity". You'll like this place.

castlerock
01-07-2008, 01:10 PM
Name of the place?

Mutha's

Date visited?
12/29, 1/1

Not crowded (but it should be)

What did you have?
The Guido, split with my wife(make sure you ask for the crushed peppers) and the Full Ham (split between my three kids)

Each sandwich is for two people, don't even think of getting one for yourself (at least at my age). Excellent bread baked on the premises, great cold cuts, really the best sandwich around the mountain. (Yes, better than Paradise, but a more limited selection). We now pick up the sandwich and drag it over to the lodge for lunch, a great alternative to our brown bagging it. I truly hope this guy can be successful long term.

Yard Sale
01-07-2008, 02:16 PM
Name of the place?
Mutha Stuffas

Date visited?
1/6/08

Not Crowded: 1 couple and 1 family

What did you have?
Had the "OTB" prosciutto mozzarella w/roasted peppers ad the "Maher" chicken bacon cole slaw w/ swiss

Excellent $10.00 sandwiches that are double servings

It's nice to see new business especially in the village. The guy is very friendly and accomodating and he is getting his pizza oven hooked up this week so the menu is expanding.

Yard Sale
01-07-2008, 03:18 PM
Name of the place?
Timbers

Date visited?
1/5/08

>3/4s full

What did you have?
My wife had the localvore salad w/ nut encrusted chicken. I had the portabello mushroom wellington in puff pastry w/ leeks and pesto.

The food and service were both great.

It was nice to sit in a window seat and take in the sights of the beautiful bustling base area. Too often we're rushing to catch a chair or pick up onje of our kids, often we don't stop and notice what a beautiful base area it is. It's nice to see this new business (Timbers) doing well.

Treehugger
01-18-2008, 08:33 AM
Localfolk Smokehouse
Thursday
1/2 full
Usually get BBQ, but had Veggie quesadilla with black beans & mashed.
Great tex-mex, as well as bbq.
More affordable than most in the Valley
Friendly bartender.
I eat there all the time.
Big screen football on Sunday!

boze
02-06-2008, 10:09 AM
Name of the place?
Timbers

Date visited?
1/5, 2/1

1/5 there was a group party, moderately crowded; 2/1 light to moderate crowd

What did you have?
Btwn the two meals: Confit Crepes, Onion Soup, Warm Pear & Gorgonzola salad, Bachandel (breaded dark chicken)

Food was well-prepared and ver tasty. Portions much more reasonable than in the past. Service also very much improved; wait time was down to a minimum and moved at a pleasant pace (last summer & winter meals could take 2-2.5+ hours; this year service was prompt, much more knowledgeable).

Overall
It took a while, and certainly quite a bit of effort & some re-starts but they now are on to a winning formula. Congrats Win & team for your perseverance!

ski_resort_observer
04-10-2008, 03:18 PM
I posted a few months ago that the Bass Restaurant on the access road was being purchased and turned into a italian restaurant. I could not find the post. Looks like the VR has confirmed that today but who is buying it has not been confirmed but Big World is being mentioned by some.

Strat
04-10-2008, 03:57 PM
I posted a few months ago that the Bass Restaurant on the access road was being purchased and turned into a italian restaurant. I could not find the post. Looks like the VR has confirmed that today but who is buying it has not been confirmed but Big World is being mentioned by some.
I can confirm that it is indeed Bernie of the Big World who has undertaken this endeavor... he seems pretty confident. Let's hope he does well!

noski
04-14-2008, 08:06 AM
noski-notell. When I get permission to tell, I will. Suffice to say it is more than one partner. It is a testimony to how businesses CAN be successful in this Valley- they don't all turn and run, some choose to stay and invest. If you run your business well, treat your guests as your priority and get involved with your community (ie support the chamber!) and use the tools given you to build your business instead of beating yourself up- you will do just fine.

Lostone
04-14-2008, 08:09 AM
If they are planning on opening during the spring or summer, they are very brave. :?

Things tend to be... quiet, around here, when it isn't winter. :wink:

noski
04-14-2008, 08:14 AM
If they are planning on opening during the spring or summer, they are very brave. :?

Things tend to be... quiet, around here, when it isn't winter. :wink:

They will have a built-in, immediate local following. Opening in summer. ow ow ow my arm. stop interrogating me! ;)

castlerock
04-14-2008, 08:50 AM
It also lets them work out the kinks on the more laid back summer clientèle, BEFORE the craziness of the next winter season.

ski_resort_observer
04-14-2008, 09:56 AM
On the positive side the former Bass is a real nice building inside with a cool small bar area semi-separated from the upstairs dining area with huge windows. Wonder if they will do a major reno. I think the access road is a hard place for a restaurant despite all the traffic driving by and agree that a local successful restauranteur with a strong local following has the best chance of succeeding.

Treehugger
04-16-2008, 09:15 AM
I can confirm that it is indeed Bernie of the Big World who has undertaken this endeavor... he seems pretty confident. Let's hope he does well!

Didn't the Central Scrutinizer tell you that a month ago?

noski
07-28-2008, 12:53 PM
August 1- the former Bass Restaurant on the Access Rd will reopen, with new look and new attitude. Terra Rossa Ristaurante will serve wood-fired pizza and other Italian cuisine. Chef and Sous Chef formerly of Sarducci's in Montpelier. See you there!

ski_resort_observer
07-28-2008, 05:40 PM
Wow, That's awesome news! Sarducci's has a massive regional rep for being one of the best restaurants. After about 3 tries and not wanting to wait we finally hit it early, got in right away, food was awesome.

Alot of folks, including myself, think that the Access Road is a tough place to have a restaurant but figured Bernie with his experience in the valley had something special up his sleeve. Watch for increased traffic on 100B....:D

noski
07-31-2008, 08:15 AM
Well, I went to the Terra Rossa last night (soft opening invitation). I understand Win was there the night before. I can't speak for him, but I thoroughly enjoyed my meal. The 3 of us had pasta (pizza next time). I had roasted tomato and seared shrimp alfredo on fettucine and key lime pie for dessert. Another had the wild rice and mushroom ravioli with lamb chops (yum). Prices are very reasonable, low-mid teen$ for most dishes. The three of us ate (entrees, 3 desserts, 4 draft beers, 1 glass wine) for under $100. They are not taking reservations, so come in, and if necessary-get on the list, grab a cold one and hang out in the lobby or bar area.

Lostone
07-31-2008, 10:23 AM
I'm not sure it is fair to review a restaurant before they open. :? (And you know I'm all about fairness :lol: )

I think you should be made to come back and review it again, on Saturday. :wink:

That said, good review and thanx for the input. 8)

skiladi
08-11-2008, 09:36 AM
Well, I went to the Terra Rossa last night (soft opening invitation). I understand Win was there the night before. I can't speak for him, but I thoroughly enjoyed my meal. The 3 of us had pasta (pizza next time). I had roasted tomato and seared shrimp alfredo on fettucine and key lime pie for dessert. Another had the wild rice and mushroom ravioli with lamb chops (yum). Prices are very reasonable, low-mid teen$ for most dishes. The three of us ate (entrees, 3 desserts, 4 draft beers, 1 glass wine) for under $100. They are not taking reservations, so come in, and if necessary-get on the list, grab a cold one and hang out in the lobby or bar area.

Are they open now? I'll be up on Sunday , the 17th. Did they replace those uncomfortable chairs on the upper level? I always loved the Bass and the view of falling snow out the back windows. but the menu of subsequent owners just didn't impress me. I did have a good breakfast at Country Flair one time but I don't eat breakfast out that often.

Lostone
08-11-2008, 11:12 AM
They are not only open, but when I drove past there Friday evening, they were packed. (That's a good thing.) :wink:

The bad news is you won't be able to see much snow falling past their windows, this weekend. :lol: Well... :? I don't think you will. :? :roll:

ScoobySnack
08-11-2008, 01:51 PM
Went there (Terra Rossa) on Saturday. They were relatively crowded that night as well. Food was good (seafood pasta, salad, etc.) and the waitress was pleasant and helpful. I could have used a mute button for the loud teenage girl sitting behind us (sounding just like Janice from Friends), but that just added to the fun.

For my 2 cents, it was an excellent addition. Nice place, good food, friendly service, and reasonable prices.

castlerock
08-11-2008, 02:42 PM
OK, I don't get out much, but I used to, especially before kids. Mostly it is because I hate paying for below average execution (no matter what the genre from subs to Chateaubriand). So even though I didn't get out, my wife did. She went out this weekend with some new friends to Sweetwood. According to her, (and she is tough) it was excellent, done with quality and attention to detail. She said that I need to go. Maybe she'll even take me!

09-19-2008, 07:51 PM
Lostone?
Any news/photos regarding the filling of this vacancy?
Anything else new in the village for this coming season?

Lostone
09-19-2008, 08:40 PM
I could tell you...

but I'd have to kill you. :twisted:

Actually, there is work in progress, but a big portion of it will be decided after decisions made at our condo meeting, in October.

noski
06-06-2012, 09:50 AM
http://www.7dvt.com/2012bridge-tomorrow Update on the fate of the Green Cup Cafe, destroyed in T.S. Irene flooding last August.

HowieT2
09-07-2012, 10:50 AM
anyone been to the new restaurant "Peasant"? review?

noski
10-22-2012, 08:35 AM
anyone been to the new restaurant "Peasant"? review? Mr. noski & I went on Saturday around 7:15pm. It was JAMMIN'. We ate at the bar. House red wine is very good. $7/glass. Dinner for me was mushroom, Gorganzola cream sauce with Italian Sausage on pasta. Mr. noski had pork Osso Buco - a hearty meal. We had no starters or dessert. Nice warm bread and seasoned olive oil while we waited for our dinner. Even though it was standing room only, our wait for our meal was not extraordinarily long. All in all, a great dinner, high energy vibe, beautifully restored post-Irene interior.

ml242
12-07-2012, 08:49 PM
Heard great things about the Terra Rosa this past weekend. Not sure what changed but looking forward to giving it another try, it's been a few years since my last visit.

Will also try the Peasant. Terrible name, but I'm hoping it will be a little easier on the wallet than the Green Cup (which was great, just a little pricey for me).

win
12-22-2012, 02:06 PM
Lili and I have had two very nice meals there. They also have a nice wine list that is different from other Valley restaurants.

noski
01-10-2013, 12:35 PM
Birds Nest Bistro:
I thought I had posted about this already, but I guess not.... Mr. noski and I had a great little Friday night dinner there in early December. Local beef (Neill farm), cold drafts and the menu, while simple, covers all the basics (beef, chicken, fish, veg). Very well prepared and very, very inexpensive. Where is Bird's Nest Bistro? It's the cafe at the Bridges Resort and it IS open to the public. They are open Fri/Sat for dinner and Sunday for Brunch and Lunch. Menu and hours: http://www.bridgesresort.com/amenities/birds-nest-bistro/ . We left there with a 2 full dinners, 2 drafts and tip for under $40

Ride Delaware ?
08-31-2013, 08:02 AM
Went to peasant again last night. Sat outside in the front at the little Bistro tables. Place was packed inside. Got the beef ragout. Delicious. Highly recommend, just be prepared for a gourmet style a la carte menu.

Anybody know what happened to Jay's Diner and Purple Moon Pub & Cafe?

When I was up in May I went in to Jay's and asked when they opened in the morning. They gave me a time, and I walked out. The owner then walked outside and said with very teary eyes, "I'm sorry, tonight was actually our last day in business." Did they go out of business, or did they decide to retire?

As for the Purple Moon, what happened there? I went past in May and figured it was closed certain days each week for the off season. However, this time I went up there, I saw a sale/lease sign. When I was up last fall the place was hopping. I enjoyed a very good meal there. I was shocked to say the least.

HowieT2
12-11-2013, 01:05 PM
Bump-any reviews of the new offerings from the hyde away and/or pine tree pub???

noski
12-11-2013, 04:08 PM
Let's see if I can get you caught up:

Hyde Away: Quality and creativity has bumped upward, and the prices, while still good, do reflect that upgrade.

Easy Street/Purple Moon Pub: Planning to open by the holidays for Breakfast and Lunch and then creative pub fare in the evenings. Now to be known as the Elusive Moose Pub & Eatery.

Jay's: Closed after many years for sale. Signs are looking good for microbrewery and lunch/dinner spot. Walk up counter where you order. Plans for patio seating.

HowieT2
12-11-2013, 05:29 PM
Let's see if I can get you caught up:

Hyde Away: Quality and creativity has bumped upward, and the prices, while still good, do reflect that upgrade.

Easy Street/Purple Moon Pub: Planning to open by the holidays for Breakfast and Lunch and then creative pub fare in the evenings. Now to be known as the Elusive Moose Pub & Eatery.

Jay's: Closed after many years for sale. Signs are looking good for microbrewery and lunch/dinner spot. Walk up counter where you order. Plans for patio seating.

Thanks, susan.
glad to hear the purple moon is reopening. I was under the impression that the microbrewery in the old jays was happening, just awaiting construction.
what about the pine tree pub?

noski
12-12-2013, 09:10 AM
what about the pine tree pub?

I got nuttin' - only because I haven't eaten there, and don't have contact with the owner/proprietor. But I can tell you we have snow, and more coming over the next several days. Cold, dry, stand-on-end powder.....

HowieT2
01-06-2014, 04:02 PM
had dinner at the hyde away. Food was good, menu is great, interesting and extensive and the service could not have been faster. will definitely go back

El Bishop
01-07-2014, 09:52 AM
What's up with Egan's Big World -- is that gone forever? Someone should do something with the space. Is that the possible microbrewery space?

HowieT2
01-23-2014, 12:14 PM
my understanding is that the microbrewery is going into the space of the old Jays restaurant by the post office.

fwiw-went to the hyde away again. food is good. great wings.

Ride Delaware ?
01-23-2014, 07:45 PM
my understanding is that the microbrewery is going into the space of the old Jays restaurant by the post office.

fwiw-went to the hyde away again. food is good. great wings.
Went by Jay's yesterday and the for lease sign/available is still there. I don't think that's the spot.

What's with the Elusive Moose?

southvillager
01-23-2014, 07:56 PM
What's up with Egan's Big World -- is that gone forever? Someone should do something with the space. Is that the possible microbrewery space?

Egan's (at the intersection of Rt 100/Rt 17) is available for rent. The place is ready to go as a restaurant, nearly "turn-key". Kitchen equipment, tables and chairs, plates, etc are already in place, just like the day it closed. There is a tiny "for rent" sign out front with the phone number if anyone is interested.

southvillager
01-23-2014, 08:08 PM
There is an entity trying to get a permit to open a brew-pub in the former Jay's space. The town is making them jump through hoops, making it difficult for them to start the business. Definitely setting up roadblocks rather than helping them solve problems. Considering that microbrews are to VT/MRV as wine is to Napa, I think the permitting folks are being foolish and short-sited. Sometimes people with authority feel it is best to demand compliance rather than to guide and help. This behavior is obviously counterproductive to reviving dining options in the MRV.

The mistake was asking permission in the first place.

ducky
01-27-2014, 07:14 AM
Roadblocks are a good thing to ensure the planning is well-thought out and all residents of Waitsfield are represented. The people who live in and around Mad River Green (where Jay's is) have a right for their concerns to be heard. The five-member elected Waitsfield Select Board has done a pretty good job over the years in preserving the village character and allowing business to grow while not becoming like Stowe or Woodstock (or mini-malls like Williston), in my opinion. There is a seat on the Select Board opening up if you'd care to run for it. Liquor laws also have a State licensing component.

southvillager
01-27-2014, 10:30 AM
Roadblocks are a good thing to ensure the planning is well-thought out and all residents of Waitsfield are represented. The people who live in and around Mad River Green (where Jay's is) have a right for their concerns to be heard. The five-member elected Waitsfield Select Board has done a pretty good job over the years in preserving the village character and allowing business to grow while not becoming like Stowe or Woodstock (or mini-malls like Williston), in my opinion. There is a seat on the Select Board opening up if you'd care to run for it. Liquor laws also have a State licensing component.

I suppose you are right, there seem to be fewer restaurants than in the past. I can think of no new commercial development of any kind in 20+ years, other than rehabbing older properties. And now there are several empty spots in old buildings like Egans, Purple Moon, Jays, Old Egans, 1824 house restaurant, White Horse(the bar/restaurant), maybe more, which to many visitors and potential vacation property owners seem alarming. Those closed businesses are not to be blamed on elected officials. The point is that there is a dire need for those elected officials to get behind and help a responsible new business that wants to open. Help, not hinder.

I am astounded to hear that a new restaurant operator cannot rapidly get a permit to open a restaurant in an existing restaurant space which already had a liquor license. In a resort town that needs dining options, where people need employment, permitting should be fast-tracked so it can be built out, staffed, and open for business asap.

IMHO.

noski
01-27-2014, 12:02 PM
There is an entity trying to get a permit to open a brew-pub in the former Jay's space. The town is making them jump through hoops, making it difficult for them to start the business. Definitely setting up roadblocks rather than helping them solve problems. Considering that microbrews are to VT/MRV as wine is to Napa, I think the permitting folks are being foolish and short-sited. Sometimes people with authority feel it is best to demand compliance rather than to guide and help. This behavior is obviously counterproductive to reviving dining options in the MRV.

The mistake was asking permission in the first place.

I am curious as to where you are getting this information, as I believe you are mistaken. I am in contact with the entity, and the chamber is an "interested party" (of support). I was present at their initial meeting with the Development Review Board who gave a warm warm reception to the proposal.

ducky
01-27-2014, 12:05 PM
The real issue is economic and what's needed to keep a restaurant open year-round and support your family while doing so. Is there a restaurant in the Valley where the owner is getting rich? We looked at Egan's in 2010, even went to the auction, but projected income (from the previous owner's revenue figures) would not support an assumed $350k purchase price, meanwhile the bank wanted $595k. Another Egan's issue is a monthly water bill of $1100. That's about 200 burgers' worth after food and labor cost ($5+ profit) on its own. It's a tough business. Restaurants are really only busy-busy on Saturday nights in the winter when compared to more urban areas like Church St, Burlington.

Good planning and permit review are necessary (imo) to ensure any new establishment, whether restaurant, computer store or canoe factory, will fit within the Town's plan and character without adversely affecting neighbors. Traffic, smells, noise, deliveries, etc must all be considered. Fast-tracked liquor permitting sounds potentially risky for the long-term even if it opens up a much-needed brew-pub in the short term.

ducky
01-27-2014, 02:15 PM
That said, Elusive Moose was rumored to be open already and Mad River Barn was packed Sat night with both seatings sold out. Congrats to both.

noski
01-27-2014, 03:20 PM
That said, Elusive Moose was rumored to be open already and Mad River Barn was packed Sat night with both seatings sold out. Congrats to both.
Rumor is correct, Ducky. The Elusive Moose is quietly opening (while they work out the systems) they were open this weekend. Monday closed and reopening Tuesday 1/28 for dinner. On Weds. 1/29 they will add Apres Ski "Grazing" menu. Thursday 1/30 they will start with breakfast and lunch. Looking forward to this!

Soundrulz
01-27-2014, 05:08 PM
How about Mad River Grill? Our family is coming in on Friday, Jan 31 for a week and looking for a night to enjoy a great dinner w/o being overpriced. Entre for $20-30 a person plus drinks of course! :)

southvillager
01-28-2014, 12:41 PM
Another Egan's issue is a monthly water bill of $1100. That's about 200 burgers' worth after food and labor cost ($5+ profit) on its own.

Just a clarification, the former Egan's (Gallaghers) is not currently on the public water system. The building is still using the old private system.

ducky
01-28-2014, 12:59 PM
Doesn't matter where they are getting their water. They are signed up but not connected and the monthly rate is $1100+ without water. This may change if/when the Water Board decides to go with a usage fee. Currently, water is not billed on usage but on ERU (equivalent rental unit) for the average 3-br house. Egan's proposed usage was based on 15.75 3 BR houses. See article.

http://www.valleyreporter.com/index.php/en/news/news/9322-egan-s-sold-questions-raised-over-town-water-commitment

noski
01-29-2014, 03:52 PM
How about Mad River Grill? Our family is coming in on Friday, Jan 31 for a week and looking for a night to enjoy a great dinner w/o being overpriced. Entre for $20-30 a person plus drinks of course! :)

Maybe consider giving the Elusive Moose a try. The will be open from 3pm for Apres Ski and then dinner until 9. If you go, give us a review!

Soundrulz
02-04-2014, 06:20 PM
Maybe consider giving the Elusive Moose a try. The will be open from 3pm for Apres Ski and then dinner until 9. If you go, give us a review!

Our family did indeed go to Mad River Grill. We made reservations, but didn't need them. The place was quiet. Overall, we really enjoyed our total experience! We started out with mussels, very nice and lots to eat. I had the NY Striploin, wife had the lamp chops, girls had chicken alfredo and salmon. All of us thought the meals were great! Service was awesome and fast. I highly recommend this place.

Brian

Ride Delaware ?
07-08-2014, 12:23 AM
What happened to the Mad River Grill? It was never real busy, but outside of the weekend of the GMSR, where service was terrible, I always had a good meal.

I noticed that a new Terra Rosa sign is in it's place.

reynescabruner
07-08-2014, 09:06 PM
I always love eating in Mad River Grill before, but never been in the place for 6 months now. I'm missing their food so much.

noski
07-10-2014, 10:49 AM
What happened to the Mad River Grill? It was never real busy, but outside of the weekend of the GMSR, where service was terrible, I always had a good meal.

I noticed that a new Terra Rosa sign is in it's place.
Terra Rossa is indeed back, where good food and good service are consistent. Mad River Grill, let's say, didn't work out.

Mason_Baumgar
11-24-2014, 06:15 AM
can any changes since last winter be posted as well?

phin
11-26-2014, 02:24 PM
afaik, the hostel is no longer serving a full menu. i believe it will be limited to soup and grilled cheese.

Ride Delaware ?
11-26-2014, 09:43 PM
afaik, the hostel is no longer serving a full menu. i believe it will be limited to soup and grilled cheese.
Wasn't it quite a profitable venture for them to serve food?

gostan
01-07-2016, 10:40 AM
https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/food-dining/2016/01/05/self-taught-chef-makes-peasant-restaurant-vermont/eoJns7GQlg3CIqg9aZWPWO/story.html

ThinkSno
03-24-2016, 10:10 PM
Common Man is up for sale. Go figure, a few more NYers who couldn't hack it in the MRV.

shadyjay
03-27-2016, 06:55 PM
Common Man is up for sale. Go figure, a few more NYers who couldn't hack it in the MRV.

First time I've ever heard of a restaurant closing because they were too busy.

Here's the VR article:
http://valleyreporter.com/stories/news/11176-common-man-restaurant-closing-for-summer-and-fall